Published 4 months ago by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of their best!
I bought this album thinking that the Coldplay pedigree would be sufficient to ensure it would be a good listen. Whilst opinions about music will always be subjective, I found this album atmospheric but a bit of a dirge.

Published 4 months ago by Paul Madge

5.0 out of 5 stars Great atmospheric album, and praise due for a band taking risks, 21 May 2014
Paul (EXETER, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Okay, I've read the reviews from people saying this is not what they were expecting, they wanted more in your face, catchy, jump-up and down songs. All I can say is that there are enough of those kinda albums out at the moment, and most of them are about as deep, personal and meaningful as a slap in the face. Here Coldplay have gone against the expected, and triumphed, in my opinion, with an album not afraid to take risks. After all isn't an artist allowed to make an album that they believe in, and one that feels right for them at the time? I would much prefer this than listen to an artificial album, dictated by the wants of the many. Look at all of the blockbuster movies that don't know what they want to be, usually they try and appeal to so many demographics that it ends up appealing to no one in particular. This album is atmospheric, deep, involving, without falling to cliche, or surrendering to populace demands or wants. The best music is made without an audience in mind, for that music will find its audience, and that is the best way for all music to be. Coldplay have moved on, and they have evolved, but if you haven't too, then I guess its time to stop listening.

I love all the tracks on the album, but standout tracks for me are, 'Magic,' with its catchy, and affecting beat, along with the poignant, heartfelt lyrics. 'Midnight,' with its haunting (great video by the way) and sleepy chorus, synthesised voice and mellow but soulful tone. 'A sky full of stars,' which is slightly more upbeat and reminiscent of Coldplay's early days. And 'O,' with the most gentle, subtle piano, over which Martin displays the deftest of melancholic poise as he sings from the heart. This song has already become a favourite of all Coldplay songs to me.

And so to summarise, for those wishing the band to stand still, perhaps Coldplay have left a few of you behind, but for those who are willing to take the journey and trust in the band, and willing to let the album haunt you more than once, before making a decision on its overall worth - pull up an ear and enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of their best!, 1 Jun 2014
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)

The tracks have quite a mysterious feel but are not very melodic or memorable and they all seem to fade into each other. There is no particularly distinctive track on this disc. I cannot help but wonder if this album had been made by a lesser known band whether it would be so commercially successful. Coldplay have produced much better than this - Ghost Stories isn't a total loss but not one of their best albums either.

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting and beautiful album of music, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
I love Coldplay, I think they are an innovative and brilliant band - and I am old enough to remember the first Beatles record being released!

I don't necessarily like every track they have ever recorded so I would be more than happy to say if I thought this album didn't live up to expectations, but it does. It is brilliant. It is different, you are waiting for some of the tracks to break out into some sort of usual Coldplay anthem the nearest they come to that is Sky Full of Stars but the other tracks are haunting and melancholic in a beautiful way. It is obvious what the theme of the album is and the sadness is there for anyone with half a heart to hear but it doesn't make it miserable or bitter. For me, this album celebrates love, without regrets and is beautiful.

I believe this album is a natural progression from Waterfall. If you aren't keen, keep playing it and I am sure it will soon grown on you. Wonderful and haunting, beautiful and melancholic. Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice album but a little heavy on heartbreak, 16 Jun 2014
Charles Stobert "frogMagic" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Love hurts. OOOoooooohhh, OOoohhhhhhh love hurts. I was in love and it broke my heart. I wish I was still in Gwyneth's "fire down below". OK Chris we get it. You broke up. It hurts. Your ex is beautiful. etc...

I like this album musically - some great production and melodies - but after a few listens through now the lyrics are starting to jar a little. I know that this was an album of catharsis but about 5 of the 9 songs are laments about missing her, wishing he was with her, feeling her, seeing her and so on.

Worth a listen if you're a Coldplay fan (which I used to be but have slightly gone off them since their early stuff)

3.0 out of 5 stars Personal and painful, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
I love Coldplay but I find this offering from Martin a little too personal. Whilst I do like some of the songs I find I avoid listening to this album. The broken heart/angel wings is emblematic of the mood with the loss of an ideal/idealised relationship difficult to avoid and clearly painful. A bit too much raw emotion for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quietly persuasive, 21 May 2014
Trish23 (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
I haven't been a fan of Coldplay's quieter moments for a long time, not since A Rush of Blood to the Head, the last time they did slow stuff well. Ever since, their downtempo output has been rather dreary & dirge-like so I really wasn't expecting to like Ghost Stories. Listening to the 1.25 minute itunes previews wasn't encouraging me to change my opinion. Then I watched Ghost Stories; the Film on SkyArts. Then I watched it again. Then I bought the album.

Let's be clear - Ghost Stories is not the soundtrack to your dash to work, jogging or motorway driving. It's late night and mellow. Despite the subject mattter it has a blissed out, trippy feel & it's perfect for when you come in from a night out & it'll be a great chillout accompaniment for when you're watching the sun set on a beach of your choice this summer.

'Always In My Head' does exactly what it says on the tin and will indeed be always in my head. Just because it's slow doesn't mean it's not catchy. I haven't decided yet whether 'Magic' is going to be irritating on repeated listening but for now I like it. The electronic 'Midnight' - weird, wonderful & vocodered - is something of a stand out. The closer 'O' is rather similar to opener 'Always In My Head' which gives the album a satisfying, cyclical feel. Along the way there's 'Ink' which I'm not sure about & I wouldn't care if I never heard 'Oceans' again. The album does really need 'Sky Full of Stars' for a change of tempo & to give us the chance to dance around our bedrooms. It's fun, though a bit more work could have gone into the lyrics. Still, resistance is futile as it's probably going to be part of the soundtrack to this summer. Learn to love it.

There are no huge, anthemic choruses here, rather the music ebbs & flows like waves on a beach & I find I really like it like that. The production and instrumentation are first rate & the band really hit it out of the park. It's a quiet triumph.

No one is as surprised as I am by how much I like Ghost Stories. If you're a doubter too - give it a chance. It might surprise you.

4.0 out of 5 stars it is nice it is good but it is not exciting I ..., 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
the sound of this album is coldplay from beginning right on through to the end ,.It makes me think it is the middle class of music if there is such a thing ,it is nice it is good but it is not exciting I expect I will learn to like it in the background

3.0 out of 5 stars Really wanted to love this like I do their other albums but it's ..., 28 July 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Really wanted to love this like I do their other albums but it's just not as good for all the reasons that other reviewers have stated. Perhaps it'll be a grower but so far it's mainly succeeded in inspiring me to listen to all their old albums again.

2.0 out of 5 stars sorry but this one was not for me a bit ..., 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories [VINYL] (Vinyl)
sorry but this one was not for me a bit to depressing sounding but hey thats only my opinion sent it back and ordered there parachute album instead much more to my taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful and atmospheric. Loved it., 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Beautiful & soulful. Gentle & melancholic. Chilled out Perfection. I really like this CD - it's a pleasant change from the more anthemic stuff they became famous with.

Ghost Stories [VINYL]
Ghost Stories [VINYL] by Coldplay (Vinyl - 2014)