5.0 out of 5 stars More excellent short stories!
I suspect that if you follow my reviews, you will know that I am a fan of Maria Savva. I particularly enjoy her short stories and her latest collection,Far Away In Time did not disappoint.

Published 4 months ago by A. E. Thomas

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
Did not enjoy this book, thought it extremely amateurish, could not believe the other reviews I read we're so glowing, obviously I am not in tune .
Published 3 months ago by P. M. Sharratt

5.0 out of 5 stars More excellent short stories!, 10 April 2014
A. E. Thomas (Beds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Away In Time (Kindle Edition)

Many of the tales are darker than those found in previous works by Ms Savva, but they are all gripping and so well-written, that they draw you in quickly. Several of the stories are tragic: “The Ghost of Christmas Past” and “Tragedy of Love” are both so sad. “Betrayal”, telling of Desiree’s rejection by her father and step-mother, aroused feelings of anger towards this callous pair. I am sure that there will be several readers who will be able to identify with Charlene’s predicament in “Echoes of her Dreams”, as she allows her own dreams - and needs - to be trampled on.

I enjoyed the magical realism of the two parts to “Far Away in Time” and also “A Sign”, which looks at the question of whether or not the dead can send signs to the living. In my opinion, the spookiest story in the collection is “The Beach”.

I cannot pick out my favourite story, because they all have something good to offer. They certainly made me think about some of the issues that many people experience at some time in their lives. If you haven’t read any short stories by this author, this is a good place to start; I would say that there is something for everyone in “Far Away in Time.”

5.0 out of 5 stars Good selection of short stories, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Far Away In Time (Kindle Edition)
"Far Away In Time" by Maria Savva was recommended to me by a friend. It is a selection of well written short stories with sentimental character. Roland, whose christmas is overshadowed by loss, there is a ghostly intervention by Mr Silverfrost, some tough luck for a mother and a family dispute over money. The stories are taken right from real life with a hint of magic in some of them.
Beautiful and well thought out they are moving, pleasant and will linger on your mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great collection of short stories, something for everyone!, 26 Mar 2014
Sheri A. Wilkinson (Princeton, IL) - See all my reviews
Far Away In Time by Maria Savva

Far Away In Time is a collection of eight short stories fantastically told by Maria Savva. These stories are different genres, from fantasy, to mystery and paranormal. All stories have their own qualities that I loved, written with detail that grabs your attention and won't let go.

I enjoyed all of them but I would have to say my three favorites were The Ghost of Christmas Past, Echos of Her Dreams & Tragedy of Love. I won't give up any spoilers so my parting word are' read the book! You won't be disappointed I feel there is something for everyone in this awesome collection of stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Diverse Collection, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Far Away In Time (Kindle Edition)
Maria Savva has a knack for writing powerful short stories. As with much of her writing, we aren't confined to any specific genre. Some of these stories made me smile, while others made me shudder. They're are all different, yet blend beautifully.

While I enjoyed them all, the title story stands out as my favorite. This is a blend of mystery, fantasy, and paranormal, and I just love the character of Mr. Silverfrost. I hope he'll make more appearances in future stories.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Far Away In Time (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely collection of shorts - a real mixed bag - from magical to criminal, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Far Away In Time (Kindle Edition)
I'd read quite a few of Maria Savva's books before and enjoyed in particular Haunted and Coincidences. However, as I don't term myself a short story fan, I was pleasantly surprised to discover I really enjoyed all of these stories, except the first one, The Ghost of Christmas Past - not that it wasn't well-written - it was - I simply found it too disturbing. My favourite was the eponymous Far Away In Time, which came in two parts. The main character was beginning to doubt her sanity, but it was all about everything not being quite what it seemed. She followed the instructions of an old man from her past and managed to inadvertently help prevent a crime from being committed, as she had faith. I loathed with a vengeance the father and stepmother in Betrayal, although I felt sorry for Desiree and the children, and was glad to see that the back-stabbing, selfish gits got their comeuppance. I both felt sorry for the mother in Echoes Of Her Dreams, as well as feeling exasperated at her that she let everyone walk all over her, particularly her sister. She was so eager to please, or never say no to anyone, that her life never really took off. In A Sign, Grace uncovers an object which helps bring joy to an elderly neighbour whilst also questioning the afterlife. A sweet, blossoming romance adds another dimension to the story. Tragedy of Love was just that - so sad. I could completely imagine this having happened at some point - what a waste; a very poignant tale. Mike and Toyah's tale in The Beach had an otherworldliness to it; Mike's dreams seemed so real and the content concerned him and with good reason it seemed. There's something in this collection for everyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Far Away In Time (Kindle Edition)
I read this collection of stories a while ago and just forgot to write a review...oops...and as with all Maria Savva's work, it must be reviewed and shared.

Another wonderful collection - this time, overall, quite eerie...fabulous. I do have my favourites - that shop...I'm sorry, but I don't give spoilers.

I would highly recommend this collection, which is well written, great, realistic characters, despite their situations, and grips the reader from the start.

Far Away In Time