5.0 out of 5 stars Instant classic!!
Rival Sons really are at the top of their game with this album. I've heard several people say this album is a grower but it was instant for me. I've been listening to Open My Eyes, Electric Man, Belle Starr and Good Things on the run up to release and all are pure classics. Great production, perfect playing and just about the best rock vocals around today...
Published 10 months ago by JPJ

3.0 out of 5 stars New album brought out too quickly
Couldn't wait for Rival Sons next album to come out. Having seen them live last year in London and going to a small acoustic session of theirs at a London train station definitely put them in my top 5 favourite bands. Pressure and Time kicked arse and Head Down grew on me the more I listened to it but you know what....Rival Sons have lost me a bit with this album. I'm all...
Published 7 months ago by Jennifer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun. 2014
EPIC

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a band to pick up where Zeppelin left off., 23 Jun. 2014
Mr. R. E. L. Beadon (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
This is intelligent rock with the zeppelin groove and amazing vocals. Will listen to this along with all the greats, this is timeless and more than worthy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Close but no cigar, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
The Rival Sons, a superb band live or in the privacy of your own home. As someone else said in their own review the start of this album is amazing. In fact I believe the first 6 songs on this album are just about the best Rival Sons experience short of seeing them live that there is. Superb out and out rockers that I defy anyone not to enjoy. Unfortunately, then there are 3 slow songs that aren't quite as good as they've done before. This band can definitely do slow songs, it's just those on this album don't match up to the quality of those in the past eg Face of Light from Pressure and Time or Jordan from Head Down. Similarly while the final song Destination On Course is good fun as a trippy finale it does not have the immense magnitude of Manifest Destiny pt1 from Head Down.

Summing up- this album has the best segment of Rival Sons there is, but it falls short of the perfection that this band is more than capable of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best album so far, 10 Jun. 2014
Peter Bolam (Jersey UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
Their best album so far. More solid riffs and bit harder rock with less pop tunes, that for me slightly spoiled the previous album. If you like songs like Manifest Destiny from the last album, then you'll really like this new one. See them live if you can because their music works even better on stage.

4.0 out of 5 stars A definite grower., 5 July 2014
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
Was very much looking forward to this album after loving Rival Sons previous album Head Down but initially I was a little disappointed. There were standout tracks such as Electric Man, Play the Fool, Good Things and the amazing Destination on Course, but not much else was grabbing my attention in the way every track on Head Down did. I must have listened to the album 5 or 6 times now and it's definitely a grower, Rich and the Poor and Belle Star really shining after a few listens and the guitar work showing the more times you listen to it.
I suppose the most lazy and obvious comparison here would be The Black Keys; A lot of the songs have that bands bluesy garage rock feel but dig deeper and the Led Zeppelin, Doors, maybe Free influences are there and it's another awesome vocal performance from Jay Buchanan, who on the aforementioned Destination on Course seems to be channelling Jeff Buckley and Robert Plant.
Time will tell but overall this doesn't feel like a giant leap forward but at the same time Great Western Valkyrie is a very good rock album and one that should see Rival Sons become one of the biggest bands of their style around.

5.0 out of 5 stars I only found these guys by chance after someone dropped ..., 10 April 2015
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
I only found these guys by chance after someone dropped out of their recent gig in the UK and a friend handed me the spare ticket. They blew me away and as a result I had to buy this album. It is very catchy, and at times reminiscent of The Cult Electric or Led Zep, rock for lovers of rock

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh yes., 6 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
The album they've been threatening to release. At last their talent is realised on this album. With a nod to the greats, they have released a modern rock album combining lyrics and music and a swagger I think they were lacking on the last album. Top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock n roll at it's finest - brilliant!, 9 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
First time I'd heard of this band was at Download Festival '14 and I liked what I saw. I bought the cd not knowing what to expect and was blown away! Amazing vocals and not a bad track on it. I give Great Western Valkyrie 5 Stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great new effort, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
For me this is a great album, well for the first 6 tracks. There after I'm not so fond, still I only got it in the wee hours of this morning so it may be a grower.
I'm still waiting for them to match the brilliance of 'Pressure and Time'.
They are still a totally awesome classic band with a huge sound, and that's not even a question here, the production is faultless.

You will find it hard to not turn this up, up, up. well, until track 7. ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars the songs are great, the singer and guitarist fab, 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Great Western Valkyrie (Audio CD)
I only brought this due to the hype and often I'll take a chance and have a punt on a new band. Can't rate them highly enough, the songs are great, the singer and guitarist fab. Would be great to catch them live!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›

Great Western Valkyrie [VINYL]
Great Western Valkyrie [VINYL] by Rival Sons (Vinyl - 2014)