1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars This CD has a U.S.P. ..., 3 Jan 2013
Keith Randall (Isle of Man, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: King of the Blues (Audio CD)
That Unique Selling Point is the presence of one of B.B.King's finest recordings, his cover of Lester Williams' I Can't Lose With The Stuff I Use'. Unless you find a 45 rpm copy or you buy the MP3 track, buying this CD is the only way to acquire this gem. I find it bizarre and very disappointing that is always excluded from box sets of King's work, or any 'Best Of'. It is the reason why I acquired the CD, bought by my wife from Amazon three years ago. Don't ask why I've waited so long to review it, because I really don't know.

There are other excellent tracks on this CD: 'I've Got A Right To Love My Baby', 'You're On The Top', 'Things Are Not The Same', 'That's How Much You Mean To Me', 'Tell Me Baby', a remake of 'Whole Lotta Love' and fine takes of 'Going Down Slow' and 'When My Heart Beats Like A Hammer'; these last three are all from one 1962 session.

All the tracks feature fine arrangements - and occasional sax soli - by the great Maxwell Davis - who also leads the orchestra of course - and the disc was mastered for Ace records by the brilliant Duncan Cowell.

If you are a fan of B.B.King, the great blues singer and guitarist - then I recommend this CD. You've got to have 'I Can't Lose'...