on 20 October 2014
Have not quite finishes this book yet, but I am really enjoying the author's dry sense of humour and for an oldie is quite up to date and funny. I recognise many of the places she tramps through having lived in Scotland for over 40 years. I recommend this book and take my hat off to a very brave lady I would not have spent a night on my own in a bothy up a mountain.
on 18 December 2014
I found Pat's journey from John O'Groats to Lane End fascinating and actually made a note of all her stops on the way following up with looking at the atlas. You feel as though you were with her on her lone journey and admired her guts and determination to
reach her final destination.

An excellent read.
on 31 January 2015
An interesting account of this lady's walk from John o Groats to Lands End. It's not a sophisticated read and sometimes some of the tangents that the author goes off on are a little unusual. That said I did enjoy reading it. A great achievement for an older lady on her own.
on 27 August 2015
As indeed she was, cushioned for a time against painful family issues, she treated the walk as a kind of relaxing healing therapy, and determination to fulfil her lifelong dream. Despite her achievement, she ommitted the send off and send in cheering masses and quietly crept into Landsend without a song. Her account of gentle meanderings through her beloved forests were full of history, aliens and local culture. Her airy fairy lighthearted and tongue in cheek outlook on life made her journal quirky and alternative, though always engaging.
on 11 November 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, every moment of the journey I felt that I was walking it with her. Pat comes across as a very warm funny and likeable character, I have just finished the journey (book) and am going to miss her and her travels.
on 28 January 2015
Pat sounds a lovely lady, and what an achievement! I have thoroughly enjoyed her adventures, and the icing on the cake was finding out at the end that like me, she is a gardener. Well done Pat. My Husband is going to read the book now, and I am sure he will enjoy it
on 24 November 2015
Really enjoyed this book. I have walked the Pennine Way twice along with my long suffering wife, Diane. When she saw me reading this she said "don't get any big ideas." LOL. It did get me hoping that one day I could do this walk.
on 23 July 2014
Lovely book, with understated humour, reflecting my own position as a new retiree with big ambitions but family ties and responsibilities. That aside the writing is easy, humorous and entertaining. This is not just a plod from one end to the other, its a reflective journey with ups and downs, warts and all, and food for thought for any would be Jogler.
on 4 February 2016
I am planning my own long walk adventure and have read lots of books to learn stuff and keep me motivated. This is a very understated story of a women's thru hike at 60+. While most other books labour on hours walked, miles covered, injuries endured, this one focusses more on the experience of nice places and people. The author weaves in a few personal details and you get a sense of a 'life lived' but this is not a laying out of the soul but like have a nice walk with a very pleasant lady in the village, getting to know them slowly. What inspired me about the author and the style of the narrative is that underneath it all is a story of real resilience. The ability to make the best of every situation, mood and lost mile. She never really dwells on the physical strength required and there is not a wiff of boasting or competition, just the wisdom of a person who has learnt to 'let go' and move on. I was planning just to read the scottish bit but ended up being drawn back to read the rest. This is a book penned penned by mature person doing something amazing with no bells and whistles but with huge humility. It is a really valuable perspective to the thru-hike genre. 'Go Pat!'
on 7 December 2015
This is a lovely story of one woman's account of her solo walk 'the wrong way' from John o groats to lands end in 1999. Her story is very much presented from her perspective. Perceptions and experiences are honest and relaxed in their telling, leaving me feeling as though this is a tale being recounted by a close family member. It makes such a change from the accounts written to appeal to the mass market.

A great achievement in both the walk and the story telling!

If you enjoy travel and walking, this book will leave you feeling as though you've made the wall yourself but without leaving you exhausted.