Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 8 October 2014
I was in Waterstones one day, as my daughter had bought me a voucher for my birthday a few weeks earlier, I saw the title and it resonated immediately, so I picked it up.
Lucie had lost her soulmate, her world collapsed around her and she has wriiten beautifully about this.
I sat in the local park on a bench and read the book, Labrador by my side, I cried, gasped and of course laughed as I read the whole book without barely taking a breath or looking up as people strolled past me.
Lucie is honest and very candid, but she also obviously has a talent for writing, so I hope she writes more novels.
Her story is heartbreaking and as the book progresses it becomes more and more clear that if you have never suffered the loss of a soulmate like she has that the journey is an incredible rollercoaster from the depths of despair to the support and love of friends.

Just buy this book, don't just buy it if you're in a dark place or if you've lost a loved one, buy it because it is powerful, compelling and beautifully written by a woman who I now see as an inspiration.
The author's husband Mark died suddenly in his late thirties leaving her with a small child to bring up alone. As my long term partner died earlier this year I wanted to read this book to see whether the author's experiences on the roller coaster which is grief was at all similar to mine. There were many instances where I found myself nodding my head in agreement and at other times I was frowning in bewilderment or shaking my head in dismay.

I could empathise with the shock and horror and the sense of powerlessness when dealing with the medical profession and the unbearable fact that no one has all the answers to the ills of the body let alone cures for everything. I could recognise the numb feeling of disconnection. I couldn't identify with the sudden need for sex with almost anyone who offered or with the excessive drinking. I could see that I had taken the opposite stance on drink fearing that if I drank anything more than one drink at a time I might just drink too much.

As a slice of life this book is excellent and it really does capture how grief can affect you even if you can't identify with everything the author goes through. It makes you realise that you aren't alone and that most of us at some time will have to deal with the death of someone close to us. As the author says, having someone close to you die young removes from you the certainty that such things can't happen to you. It also for a time removes your ability to plan for the future.

I actually found this book more reassuring than the couple of non-fiction books I have tried to read about grief which simply reduced me to tears and made me feel worse. I recommend this book to anyone who has experienced the loss of someone close to them. I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley for review purposes.
on 24 July 2014
This beautifully written biography is a must read. Lucie is honest in her portrayal of grief and her ability to capture this, and wrap it in humour is wonderful.
on 22 July 2014
I don't read books often but I could not put this book down. Made me laugh and cry but nice to read about how someone fills after losing a loved one.
I wish the author good luck and lots of happiness in the future.
on 12 July 2014
Outstanding book, not a big reader as can't normally find books that keep me reading from cover to cover but this book made me read from cover to cover and I've started again already.
on 16 July 2014
A beautifully written book telling Lucie's heartbreaking story. It is honest and brings tears to the eyes yet is also humorous with brilliant observations. I couldn't put it down and read it cover to cover in one go.
on 22 March 2016
Really good read. Stupidly I just grabbed this book and didn't even read the blurb! It wasn't until I was halfway through I realised I was reading a true story and someone's experience . The author manages to keep you turning pages working through her grief at times I felt perhaps she could of expanded on those glimpses of how raw and heartbreaking grief is . She's clearly been in that black hole many have and listening to how she has worked her way out the other side is amazing . It's worth reading and I think for anyone not just in terms of loosing a partner loosing any loved one the book hits home and manages to put into words those feelings we've all felt but have been unable to communicate .
on 15 July 2014
Amazing book, beautifully written. Couldn't put it down until it was finished! Would like to see a second book from Lucie Brownlee..
on 30 October 2015
A heartbreaking read
Life After You by Lucie Brownlee is a memoir, which started life as a very personal blog, is a raw howl of disbelief at the speed with which a baby-making quickie could turn to life-shattering tragedy. On a freezing evening in February 2012 just before Take Me Out was due to start Lucie Brownlee and her husband Mark went to bed. Mid-way through having sex, Mark dropped dead on the pillow beside her. His last words were you've still got your socks on. This true story is based on survival and, cautiously, recovery. A wrenching funny read.
on 19 July 2014
very well written, very moving, I struggled to put this book down, God bless you Lucie and your daughter B