Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 3 March 2015
This book wasn't really what I expected so I only read a couple of chapters. I did wonder why he thought his life was different to everybody elses because from what I read it seemed pretty normal. I would love to give a 5 star review but am afraid I just can't, even the writing was not up to much. Maybe he will improve or maybe take a different journey to writing.
on 25 February 2015
i have a son with the same condition and this sad story of a man who could have done great things -- and, indeed, did succeed in whatever he tried - enlightened and helped me understand the illness better. ( My son was raised as an only child with love and encouragement, so it doesn't always follow that upbringing is the problem) I have noticed that it strikes artistic and very intelligent people above others.
Thanks, Tony, for taking the trouble...I wish you peace and love.
(I must tell you that I don't usually respond and write reviews, even though I am an author on kindle and know how much they are valued, but I was intrigued with this interesting and well-written autobiography.)
on 23 February 2015
Good interesting, read. It only shows that life is stranger and more exciting than any fiction. I doubt that the author is suffering from any mental illness though. There was nobody there though to teach him self-control, when he was a child, to stop acting on the spur of the moment. To stop and think and plan before running, lashing out or getting himself headfirst into trouble. But then again not many people have had such an interesting life. Very good insight - it is what makes this story so interesting
on 12 September 2014
I have read this book whilst laying on the beach on the Dominican republic, what can I say eye opening, happy,sad.
A person life,feelings and coming to terms with a illness hidden and confusing.
Thank you for sharing your courageous story. All the best
on 18 August 2015
This was a well-written and captivating account of a man's struggle with what turned out to be bipolar but could have been any number of little known mental illnesses back in the days of mental illness ignorance. I enjoyed the unique way the book flowed and really felt I had travelled through a 50+ year journey right alongside Tony.

I thoroughly recommend reading this book whether you have a mental illness or not. It gives a very real insight into the turmoils of life with a mental condition and might make you think twice when judging people who act in odd ways like Tony has done at times during his life.

Tony, I have OCD which is 80% under control with medication and can relate to some extent with some of your experiences in battling an illness of the mind. It's tiring and unforgiving and can dominate so much of your life. I'm well and it doesn't dominate my life any more but it took me 30 years to do something about it! I wish you all the best for what I hope will be many years of happy and fulfilling life ahead.
on 10 November 2014
Tony Lockhart, in his memoir, was brave enough to expose himself in raw detail to a life that seems to have no happily ever after. Throughout these pages is one crisis after another, that if the reader is not careful, will become emotionally exhausted and need time to resume the reading later. This Unsettling life would begin in his earliest recollections of his father that would regularly beat his mother and he and his brothers for minute happenings-dinner not on the table at the moment he sat down. "...mums head was slammed against it, shards of mirror landing in my food...I can still feel the buckle landing on my head and back."

Dad's death following a brain tumor would leave him with and older brother and mother that took up with shouting and more beatings. A first withdrawn and later angry adolescent, he would drop out of school at age 15 and begin a literal lifetime of frequent moves and job changes. While Lockhart takes you through each change, you will discover the horrors of manic depression later referred to as bipolar disorder. All the while you will wonder if it was his upbringing that caused this or a genetic "curse" inherited.

When he left home at age 16 he would begin withdrawing from others, incorporating drugs and excessive alcohol to numb the pain. "What I really wanted was to be wanted... I never responded whenever someone displayed signs that they did want me around.". His younger brother's suicide would haunt him with guilt over not intervening more in his life. As his mental health deteriorated he would be plagued with questions like the following " Am I drinking because I'm losing my mind or because of my personal life or are these things happening to me because I'm drinking?"

This is not an easy read to digest but you will get an upfront account of the struggles one faces with regard to jobs and interpersonal skills when plagued with mental illness. Too will you wonder if his drug use and alcohol played a major factor in exacerbating the condition. As long as there is breath, there is hope and my hearts cry for him is that light will finally shine through the very dark tunnel. I hope he has found release in writing this and for those that knew him, a place in their heart for understanding.
on 17 March 2014
I started reading this and straight away in my mind I was thinking I know how you feel Tony, so many of your ways ring true for me. some of the things you wrote could have been about me! I am in a constant struggle myself to keep my mouth shut and to let it go over my head I am also on medication but to be honest I feel a right loser most of the time I never seem to be happy. got to say though it was good to realise that it's not just me that and I think your book has helped me take a good look at myself thank you .
on 2 April 2014
This book made me laugh, made me cry, brought up memories of my own life I have blocked out in many ways for many years, but from reading this book will hopefully give me the courage to face. It takes you on one hell of a journey so strap yourselves in...
on 9 July 2014
I really got into this book, it helped me see things in a different light. I have struggled all my life with low self esteem and depression. Everyone should read this book as it will help them gain an understanding of others.
on 12 December 2014
Excellent read. The author has really lived an amazing life and travelled and these things held my interest. I also understood his bi polar problems and the effect they had on him.