5.0 out of 5 stars A Scandi-tastic smash
Published 3 months ago by Andy Lawrence

1.0 out of 5 stars Scandinavian science fiction
I bought the dvds. I did not watch Mammon on tv or internet. I wasted money with this set so I decided, against my best judgement, to write another review about a tv series.
Published 2 months ago by lucas

5.0 out of 5 stars A Scandi-tastic smash, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Mammon [DVD] (DVD)
Making history as the first Norwegian series to air on UK TV, Mammon is an uncompromising suspense filled conspiracy thriller in the vein of State of Play and All the Presidents Men. Sibling rivalry is writ large in a dark tale told over six days. Peter Verås, one of the most highly respected journalists in Norway inadvertently kick-starts a labyrinthine chain of events when he accepts evidence of large scale and wide-reaching financial fraud from an anonymous source. The search for truth has far reaching consequences and Verås' life is soon torn apart by revelations of his brother's activities. As he delves deeper into the shadowy world of corruption infecting the nation's political and economic elite his family are placed in danger...
A sensational thrill packed series which will enthral and terrify, Mammon is a first rate example of Nordic Noir.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Nordic Noir crime story, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Mammon [DVD] (DVD)
Six great episodes in this slightly unusual crime story based on greed and power. Watched it in two evenings it was so enjoyable. If sub titles do not bother you get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars dark but well worth sticking with, 3 May 2014
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Mammon

This has just finished a run on tv, and based on the twitter comments it has a fair number of devoted fans, some even calling for a second series.

Mammon, which just refers to monstrous greed, was a huge hit in its native Norway. It is subtitled, mainly shot on dark Norwegian nights, with a lot of rather similar people behaving mysteriously. There is the odd shot of adrenalin, with some genuinely unsettling and dramatic scenes to break up the gloom.

It is probably a bit darker than the recent Arne Dahl, but runs a good story over a series of six episodes.

The story concerns a disgraced journalist, who gets drawn into a financial conspiracy with its tentacles deep into his own life and Norwegian society. It quickly becomes obvious that he is dealing with some very dangerous people and trust is a dangerous thing.

On reflection, the plotting certainly has familiar elements, the journalist element, is akin to Tin Tin or State of Play, or even the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books. However there is enough that is dark and strange to retain the interest throughout.

I was holding off reviewing until the series finished, plenty of series have gone from a must see, to why did I waste five hours of my life, on the basis of a duff last episode, be assured this delivers right up to the end. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling to the bone!, 15 May 2014
CrocodileStu (Oxfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mammon [DVD] (DVD)
Wow, what a surprise! I had watched the first episode on C4 but then decided to wait until the box set arrived. And I am so glad I did! Without adverts this is one of the best chiller/thrillers to come out of Norway ever. Twists and turns abound in every episode, and seemingly un-connected events then have surprising (and deadly) connections. Lead characters are convincingly portrayed and I hope the writers and producers have something to draw upon to make a second series.
This is not a series for the squeamish, but it is one that every 'Nordic Noir' fan should put in their collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 July 2014
C. Wrigley (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mammon [DVD] (DVD)
Very dark and menacing. Impressively filmed. Definitely not something to doze through

1.0 out of 5 stars Scandinavian science fiction, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Mammon [DVD] (DVD)
(In case you are a fan and are wondering what happened with the negative vote you casted here then let me explain: Someone wrote a comment about this review and I deleted it without reading the comment. I clearly explained, in the ps, that I was going to do that.
People should really read a review properly before writing a comment about it...)

I watched seasons one and three of "The Killing". I really disliked season one because of the camerawork, the political correctness making the story so predictable and the far too many holes in the story. But I did like season three and liked season two of "The Bridge". I also watched "Wallander", "Arne Dahl" etc.

So, I am familiar with Scandinavian series and liked some of them. I remember, for example, that I watched season three of "The Killing" in two nights. But this "Mammon" is a different matter. Some Scandinavian series have too many holes in the story but "Mammon" has barely a story. The whole series is a big hole.

I don't remember having ever watched a crime story so far fetched. It is so absurd that I can only see it as a grotesque comedy. I was really shocked with the very poor quality of episode one. Mammon is more like a game or a silly pastiche of other Scandinavian series, which are not that fantastic to begin with.

What happened in episode one is so absurd that crosses the boundaries of genres: "Mammon" goes from Scandinavian noir to science fiction.

And things don't get much better than episode one. Half way through the sixth and last episode I was absolutely sure that this set contained just a half season. Something like the last season of "Breaking Bad" which was split in two sets of dvds.

But "Mammon" does end in episode six although there are no explanations whatsover for what happened in episode one and many questions raised along the episodes are left unanswered.
The series has more holes than a Swiss cheese (I am using this cliché as a homage to the many cliches in "Mammon"...). The whole thing is a big hole.

"Mammon" is an insult to people's intelligence and I was intrigued by the success of "Mammon" in Norway. But then it dawn on me:
People can not be that stupid. They like "Mammon" because they go for the hype, the atmosphere. They don't care if the story doesn't make sense. It is something like preferring abstract painting to figurative painting.

TV series such as "The Wire", for example, would be figurative painting whilst a series such as "Mammon" would be abstract painting.

But, abstract or figurative, "Mammon" is mediocre TV.

P.S.I know that Scandinavian series are the holy grail of many reviewers and posters who populate Amazon's reviews about tv series and they don't accept when people criticise their beloved series.

So here is what I am going to do: Cast two thousand negative votes about my review. I couldn't possibly care less. But if any internet hoodlum writes a comment about this review then I will not waste my time replying or even reading the comment. I will simply delete the review and publish it again. Without reading the comment.

I am sorry if it is a kosher comment, in favour or against my review, but the only way to know that is by reading the comment and I will not do that as I don't want to risk reading a comment from an internet hoodlum because I might feel tempted to answer and the idea is to stop wasting time with those posters who do nothing but pollute Amazon's reviews.

I know that SN's fans will want to drag down my review with negative votes. Fine, I don't care. But in order to do that you will have to refrain of writing comments here because every time I delete my review all those negative votes disappear...

Amazon should entitled reviewers to allow or not comments about their reviews. This is one of the several things Amazon should do to improve the quality of reviews about dvds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Series, 12 Jun 2014
P. Parkes (East Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mammon [DVD] (DVD)
Kept us up late watching this enthralling thriller. Well acted and the su titles did not impinge on the film

4.0 out of 5 stars Norwegian crime thriller, 11 May 2014
godzilla78 (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mammon [DVD] (DVD)
Fans of Scandinavian shows which have flooded the UK market of late should find this is worth a watch. Whilst not been as enjoyable as "The Killing", its better than the "Arne Dahl" series. Once you get into the series the biggest shame is that there are only 6 episodes. Despite my reservations at the conclusion of the 1st episode (just a little bit strange to say the least) it turns out to be worth the time. So......

The main character is Peter, an investigative journalist who has lifted the lid on a huge financial/investment scandal in Norway. For Peter its a huge scoop and goes right to the heart of financial power brokers in the country. The news also exposes the role of his own brother as being culpable and is the first domino to fall. Add that to the sibling rivalry from childhood, a religious father who cast out one of the sons and a sinister financial network........

So the story moves on in time and things begin to surface again. Peter has changed, cast aside by a majority of his co workers as being a moral crusader. But he comes across information that leads him on a path which puts his own life and those around him at risk. And given that it seems to be a trend in these Scandi shows, it can't be complete without one quirky female character (Vibeke) who plays the role of Peter's other half. Working for the financial crimes unit, she is able to help Peter begin to put the pieces in place. The more they know the more dangerous it becomes.

Again whilst not being on par with previous Nordic tales, it does show that Norway can produce some good television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mammon - food of the gods, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Mammon [DVD] (DVD)
Not watched it yet, but when I do I'm sure it'll be great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Mammon [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched a lot of the imported, subtitled dramas that have deluged the country in recent months and have found most of them to be at the very least diverting if not of any particularly high quality. This latest addition is without doubt the worst I have seen. Not only did it lack interesting characters or a good storyline but it was just pure hokum from start to finish. There were lots of attempts to ratchet up the tension and shock viewers but it all just left me cold. I mean (and yes I am going to spoil the whole series so stop reading if you haven't seen it) why those two men committed suicide really made no sense, why there was this secret organisation that killed the children of those that betrayed the group made no sense, why they all had pictures of Abraham on the wall made no sense (other than to provide clues of course!), why his brother committed suicide on that date with his family around made no sense, how the brother knew that guy was going to drive his car off the road into that bit of the lake and then commit suicide on that date made no sense whatsoever, why Peter trusted Tom Lied who was so obviously involved was bizarre, why the head of Financial Investigation was involved was never explained, made no sense and was such an engineered twist, why Andreas was kidnapped but not killed made no sense and finally the whole thing with the gang that kidnapped Andreas and the English leader was just jaw-droppingly, mind-numbingly ridiculous.

Other than that I found it mesmerising viewing. Not.

Mammon [DVD]
Mammon [DVD] by Cecilie A. Mosli (DVD - 2014)