4.0 out of 5 stars A vision of an earlier form of the world...
Published 2 months ago by Elizabeth Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars A truly dreadful film :(
More science fiction than bible story.. yes I know it has been influenced by a graphic novel, but I honestly don't think a majority will be expecting 'that' version.
Featuring giant rock monsters (yes really!!!), almost expected hobbits to appear at one point *sigh
Published 5 days ago by Flora

1.0 out of 5 stars A truly dreadful film :(, 26 Oct 2014
This review is from: Noah (Blu-ray)
I doubt most people would enjoy watching Russell Crowe lurking around the ark contemplating murdering his grandchildren either?!!!
Awful, frankly the worst film this year and by some margin too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A vision of an earlier form of the world..., 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this film. I tried not to read too many reviews beforehand, but it was difficult not to have been affected by negative opinions. However, very soon after the start, the story caught me up and Noah and I were on our own. I felt as if I was walking alongside human beings who were still puzzled by the young world they inhabited; still struggling to understand the nature of the creator. There was at times a post-apocalyptic sense, as if Noah and his family were alone in their fight for survival (although when the other inhabitants of the world showed up, keeping well away seemed a good option). The Watchers' fate - transformation from beautiful beings of light into ghastly, creaking stone giants - was impressive in its vindictiveness, and straight away let it be known that we were in the realm of a god who wasn't going to mess about when it came to punishment. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't find the pre-deluge part overlong; it was necessary, surely, in order to allow some sort of appreciation of the world about to be destroyed. And, in response to comments that questioned the presence of metal technology and other later discoveries in the antediluvian world, surely that was the point being made: the pre-flood world having been utterly destroyd by the creator chucking his toys out of the pram, nobody could have any true conception of what it had been like.

I was very impressed by Emma Watson, who touched me profoundly in many aspects of her performance. And Russell Crowe was outstanding: a man in torment, trying to carry out the orders of a god who chose to communicate only obliquely, leaving the man he/it had selected to save creation fumbling about in the dark as he tried to do the right thing. If that was how this god treated his favoured ones, no wonder he didn't hesitate to wipe out everyone else. And, indeed, one of the most haunting parts of 'Noah' was that terrible moment in the ark, where the frantic cries of the dying rang out as the waters rose relentlessly higher and higher up the last bit of high ground.

While I can appreciate that this take on the familiar Old Testament tale might upset some, I do urge you to see for yourselves. Seen in the context of early myth - of human beings struggling to make sense of their world - I found it thought-provoking, moving, and incredible to look at. Give it a go.

1.0 out of 5 stars a massively disappointing film in which everything goes wrong, 28 Oct 2014
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
aranofsky is an extremely talented and understated filmmaker; my opinions of both black swan and requiem for a dream mirror this sentiment however 'noah' is completely devoid of all the things that made the aforementioned memorable; audacity of vision, strong performances and nuance throughout. the film starts with clumsy exposition and laughably bad special effects which trained monkeys with a green screen could improve upon; it left me scratching my head as to why the filmmakers felt the need to add badly designed rock monsters into the production which do nothing but demote what is already a pretty abysmal piece of filmmaking. it is overlong, only marginally faithful to the source material and just a waste of time in general; watch requiem for a dream instead, to call it bad would be to offer it high praise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unintentionally hilarious, I suspect., 27 Oct 2014
This review is from: Noah (Amazon Instant Video)
It's an all action blockbuster.

No longer is it enough for Hollywood to thread a romance or two through the familiar story of the ark and the flood. That won’t get the crowds in.

It needs big action, big battles, Noah as a fighting man and some cgi left over from the Transformers or Pacific Rim remastered to look like animated rock monsters.

If you're willing to forget the biblical roots, it's a great blockbuster movie. If you can watch it and remember the biblical roots, it's a great blockbuster movie with plenty of "They've got to be joking" and "Whatever next" laughs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed reimagining of Noah story, 6 Sep 2014
Mr. Stephen Kennedy "skenn1701a" (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I suspect your opinion on Noah will probably be in large part dictated by your expectations going in to it. In pure Hollywood terms, this is an off beat fantasy blockbuster with some human drama well played by its excellent cast, which overall works despite some odd creative choices. However, you can't ignore that this is ostensibly a biblical story.. and in terms of telling that story, a lot of liberties have been taken. All throughout the movie, The Creator is discussed, and talked to - but if you are expecting a glowing bearded face booming instructions in a James Earl Jones voice, you will be disappointed. Noah gets his instructions through dreams and visions, some herbal induced, and even then these show snippets of the impending calamity leaving the interpretation and decisions up to Noah. The Nephilim (or `The Watchers' as they are called in the movie) are represented here, as has been widely derided, as rock monsters, their angelic beings encrusted with the earth on which they have been banished - but the idea of the Nephilim as fallen angels is in fact mentioned in Genesis as well as other Jewish texts. And the human drama is interesting - but it is all Hollywood writing, a "maybe it was like this" approach, which has no basis in the original source material.
So cast wise - Hopkins plays an odd old Methusaleh who has some magical talents and is more interested in berries than the future it seems, Crowe really does inhabit the role as written in the script, and special mention should go to Jennifer Connally who really makes something out of what could have been a nothing role. There are definitely some really interesting ideas here about exploring how Noah and his family would have felt, seeing and hearing the destruction not just of the evil outside, but of everything they once knew. The wails of the survivors growing gradually quieter, as the family discuss whether it is right to allow their complete destruction or whether they should trail ropes. Noah is a determined man, sure of his interpretation of his vision, and this drives the human part of the drama. It's refreshing to see such an important biblical character portrayed in a very `human' light. The only drawback is, that it necessarily becomes one directors interpretation.. something you can either accept, or it is going to bug you. Ray Winstone's king seems a forced element, and the expansion of Ham's role as the troubled son only half works. For the effects, the depiction of the animals being gathered works well, as does the idea of having them sleep for the journey.. however the scenes of the flood seem artificial compared to the grittiness of had been shown before.
In short, there are some great ideas, but the movie seems put together never quite deciding what its identity should be, and it is hard to imagine a segment of the audience that won't find something to be irritated by. Brave and interesting in places, too Hollywood and pandering in its ecological message in others. Ultimately flawed, unexciting, layered with some very personal interpretations, and yet intriguing enough to be worth watching if you can get past that.
5/10

5.0 out of 5 stars I was almost put off it by the great majority and now I have seen the film i ..., 29 July 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This film was not what I expected from the reviews I have read. I was almost put off it by the great majority and now I have seen the film i find them difficult to understand. I read the bible story as a child and was always aware of the darker side to it which this film reflects. I did read it from the bible though not some watered down versions which removed all the hard and difficult parts. The old testament is full of hard and difficult stories and Noah is one of the hardest to accept as a christian. Because as Christians we are raised in the light of the new covenant of the new testament which make our view of the old testament seem awful, terrible and harsh. But the film is much nearer to the story that i read than any film that i have seen before. If anything it was not dark enough there was only one indication of the beings who where the children of fallen angels with human women. Yes it is one mans interpretation of a a story a lot of people believe they know but don't knock that interpretation if it is nearer to the original than your own. Ignoring the biblical questions the story is a good story and the characters are well drawn and Russell Crowe plays a tormented man that I could believe. The supporting actors were all believable though the men were weaker than the women. Yes you could take notice of the accents but that is ok because it was before Nimrod LOL. I think its a film I could watch over and over again because of the depth of the story. But if you want a children's version of Noah's ark which you can walk away from with a smile on your face this is not for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Noah's ark we know..., 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Noah (Blu-ray)
long long film, don't know where this story was going, at one time I thought I was watching transformers, there was a boat and animals though but not the story we know. I would actually rate 'Evan almighty' better than this.... Again don't know where they were going with this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous, 17 Oct 2014
S. Perkins "Sharon booklover" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
So so disappointing. There was very little in relation to the story of Noah and the flood and I am afraid for me when "fallen angels" appeared as rock people I completely lost any faith in this being a good watch.

Not my cup of tea at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rented it on Lovefilm and glad I did - saved me the cinema money costs, 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Awful. Rented it on Lovefilm and glad I did - saved me the cinema money costs. Admittedly some of the effects might be better experienced on the big screen, but then you are forced to sit through the entirety of the film (unless you fancy a few toilet breaks). Went in with an open mind, came away realising that the state of the world is all Noah's fault if only he had carried through what he had been supposed to do. Ham and Spam and Baked beans, and the closing credit number, urrrggghhh. I suppose if you are Jewish you might enjoy it otherwise I don't think you will....

1.0 out of 5 stars A fundamental flaw, 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
Apart from the obvious strangeness of the interpretation - rock Transformers, Cockernee Cain-lite, designer primordial attire and all, the premise of the ending had a crucial drawback. If Noah's descendents were destined to be the continuing progenitors of mankind, how was it going to work when the grandchildren were twin girls? Even if Shem and Hermione were planning to have more children, this would only extend the possibility of incestuous sexual relationships to continue the line...ewww!

Noah [Blu-ray]
Noah [Blu-ray] by Darren Aronofsky (Blu-ray - 2014)