4.0 out of 5 stars Odd but entertaining
Published 2 days ago by maximus

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
I watched this fairly recently with a relative and we both agreed that it was okay, but nothing more than that. The story never really seemed to develop and was actually quite boring in some parts, in my own personal opinion.

Perhaps worth watching once to pass a rainy day.
Published 3 days ago by Lucy

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd but entertaining, 27 Aug 2014
maximus (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
What an odd movie. I think by the end I thought this is more about man vs environment than some religious devotion movie. I as curious as to what motivated Aaronofsky to direct this, and it's mix of fantasy mixed in with the bible story and the environmental issues, kind of made it clearer but still, odd but I enjoyed the epic nature of it. The Icelandic landscape in much of the shots is awesome. I did find the whole procreation from one family very ... Uncomfortable. Biblical stories are contradictory aren't they? Maybe made sense in times gone by, but there is a bit of eeeeew factor about the whole keep it in the family thing.

Russell Crowe is very good as the internally conflicted Noah, and Emma Watson is very very good in her role.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was almost put off it by the great majority and now I have seen the film i ..., 29 July 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This film was not what I expected from the reviews I have read. I was almost put off it by the great majority and now I have seen the film i find them difficult to understand. I read the bible story as a child and was always aware of the darker side to it which this film reflects. I did read it from the bible though not some watered down versions which removed all the hard and difficult parts. The old testament is full of hard and difficult stories and Noah is one of the hardest to accept as a christian. Because as Christians we are raised in the light of the new covenant of the new testament which make our view of the old testament seem awful, terrible and harsh. But the film is much nearer to the story that i read than any film that i have seen before. If anything it was not dark enough there was only one indication of the beings who where the children of fallen angels with human women. Yes it is one mans interpretation of a a story a lot of people believe they know but don't knock that interpretation if it is nearer to the original than your own. Ignoring the biblical questions the story is a good story and the characters are well drawn and Russell Crowe plays a tormented man that I could believe. The supporting actors were all believable though the men were weaker than the women. Yes you could take notice of the accents but that is ok because it was before Nimrod LOL. I think its a film I could watch over and over again because of the depth of the story. But if you want a children's version of Noah's ark which you can walk away from with a smile on your face this is not for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Beginning, 11 Jun 2014
Mr. Patrick G. Teague (Hythe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
Noah was a very intriguing film to watch. Cinematically there is a lot of originality about the film and it does it's best to remain theologically neutral. I was surprised at the high level of subtle violence in the film. Russell Crowe is always watchable and the comparisons between Noah and Maximus are undeniable. There were also good supporting acting from Anthony Hopkins and Ray Winstone. I'm still coming to terms with a post Harry Potter Emma Watson. The film trailers chose to avoid depicting the Watchers, perhaps wisely. While slow to get going, the film comes into its own with the introduction of the ark and the visual delights that accompany the unsympathetic destruction of the world. Overall, a worthwhile watch and while it will likely leave audiences, of all beliefs, with questions; there is no denying that Darron Aronofsky is a visionary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember...This Is Cinema. Not The Bible., 12 April 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Ok, let's really look at this movie.

I get really frustrated by the people putting this down because it's not like the bible. ...So let's compare this to Harry Potter. To some fans, Potter is like the holy grail. And are the movies exact to the book, page by page? No, they're not. But can the fans appreciate the films? Largely, yes, we can.

Now, honestly, if you were within biblical times and found out that everyone is going to die and everything ever made will disappear bar one family and a load of animals, how would you feel? Scrap that, how would you feel if that happened in today's world? We'd all have kittens! There'd be anarchy, people would be terrified. I would be!

The idea in the bible that Noah built an arc and everyone was okay with dying is not as realistic as this is. I'm someone who's open to interpretation and the fact is, in those early years, there were just people, the values and laws are not as strong and definitive as what we see today. So people attacking Noah and the arc because they're so terrified of the unknown is completely realistic. Just step back and think about it. We still fear the unknown today.

The cast are very well chosen. When I heard Emma Watson had been cast in...probably her biggest film to date...I wondered if she could handle it. And believe me, she does. Emma's performance is so believable and realistic, she had me close to tears at some points. I believe she's the standout performance in this and I think this film will truly make her career. Dakota Fanning was apparently supposed to take the role of Ila but couldn't due to conflicting schedules. I cannot imagine her in this role whatsoever. Emma makes an absolute spectacle of herself in this movie in all the right ways.

I can see why people would say Noah seems like he's insane in this. So, let's analyse Noah in this film. You see your father murdered as a child. What does that do to you? There are adults in this world who have seen such horror today and still aren't over it. What Noah is is driven by the belief that he is following 'The Creator's' word. He believes there's a set way and much like the people are afraid of the unknown, Noah fears deference from what he sees as the plan. Mix this with your childhood memories,the fact that you have been chosen for this task and the guilt of knowing that you couldn't save all the innocent lives...maybe you wouldn't necessarily be an entirely 'normal' state of mind either.

The locations and graphics of this film are amazing. Visually, all the nature is spectacular and I loved seeing all the animals head to the arc.

What you have to remember...this is a dramatized interpretation of a biblical story. This is not the Bible in movie form. I don't like seeing it judged as a homage to the Lord Almighty and the bible. I think this is a stunning film that brings a reality to what possibly was a great tragedy of the early world. Rather than think of it as a story from the bible, step back. Think about it. Think about how the characters might feel, then take in the stunning cut of this film. Hopefully then you can appreciate it for what it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)

Perhaps worth watching once to pass a rainy day.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN IT WAS', 27 July 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Must admit I was caught in two minds regarding the purchase of this one, the film has
been slated by many reviewers and critics, however curiosity got the better of me.
This a Biblical tale -
'Noah' (Russell Crowe) and his wife 'Naameh' (Jennifer Connelly) scrape a living from
the baron landscape with their children.
'Noah' son of 'Seth' has always believed what his father had taught him as a child, and
has endeavoured to follow the path of his beliefs and faith.
He has a dream that he believes to be a message from God, he has visions of the World
being flooded to rid the planet of the evil that has flourished.
'Noah' seeks out his Great Grandfather, 'Methuselah' (Must admit without knowing he was
actually in the film, I knew 'Methuselah' had to be played by 'Anthony Hopkins' who else ? )
to make sense of his dreams and understand what has to be done.
'Noah' has to build an 'Ark' a construction large enough to house two of each creature that
walks or fly's, as well of course, to accommodate his immediate family.
He has the help of the 'Watchers' (fallen angels from log ago)
The King of the land 'Tubal-Cain' (Ray Winstone) who does not believe in miracles, and that
man is master of his own destiny, seeks to take charge of the Ark realising the flood 'Noah'
talks of is to become a reality.
The story on board during the flood a little to 'Hollywood' perhaps, though the film does have
it's moments though somewhat fanciful.
There of course are some decent Special-Effects along the way...
There have certainly been many Biblical drama's superior to this down the years, though I have
to say it was a little better than I expected, though, not great.
'Glad they remembered the 'Rainbow' at the end.
(Many experts have tried to prove or disprove events of the Bible down the years, I believe
evidence of a great flood has been found, however, efforts to find any remains of what would
need to have been a giant structure - 'The Ark' has not.(Though many believe it landed 16,946 ft
up on 'Mount Ararat' East Turkey)
Special Features -
* Iceland - Extreme Beauty.
* The Ark Exterior.
* A Battle for 300 Cubits.
* The Ark Interior.
* Animals Two by Two.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Noah (Blu-ray)
Waiting for this film for a while, what a waste of time! Cast look like thier struggling with the roles, loosely based on the biblical story, only thing in common is the name, everything else, just seems to be pushed to the most extreme,

3.0 out of 5 stars Not saying I could have done better but I'm sure it could have been done better, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Noah (Amazon Instant Video)
Not saying I could have done better but I'm sure it could have been done better. Hard to say what's wrong but its a bit contrived, corny somehow with good actors struggling to be convincing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't watch if you're depressed!!, 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: Noah (Amazon Instant Video)
A Biblical version of Eastenders, miserable, miserable, MISERABLE. Weird monsters best suited to The Flintstones!!

A waste of money, and time - AVOID!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good potential, but not quite..., 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Noah (DVD)
I'd heard a lot of bad reviews for this, but tried to watch with an open mind. Something about this movie just didn't deliver. There was a lot of potential, great cast, great director, another fine score from Clint Mansell and some very impressive visuals along the way as well. Can't quite put my finger on what it was that was missing, but found myself losing interest once they were on the Ark and towards the end. It fell a bit short of fulfilling its potential to be a great film.

Noah [Blu-ray]
Noah [Blu-ray] by Darren Aronofsky (Blu-ray - 2014)
13.00