1,183 Reviews

Published 2 months ago by Alan Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars In a god forsaken world ………..,, 4 Feb. 2015
Alan Jones (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
Not being a believer I approached Noah with a neutral viewpoint and although it has provoked strong opinions from both Christians and Jews about its ‘authenticity’ (I have read a brilliant review from a rabbi on Amazon.com) purely as a film it totally occupies the fantasy genre. The film definitely has the feel of Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy with its creation story, abandoned fallen angels (they reminded me of the Ents) and the barbaric behaviour of men in a barren wasteland ‘other worldly’ landscape. I have to admit that I totally bought into Russell Crowe’s intense portrayal of the outsider Noah, a descendent of Seth and a man possessed who gradually descends into madness because of the enormity of the role the Creator has assigned him, full of certainty and then lost in doubt. However, as the film progressed and despite the impressive cinematography and CGI (in particular the onset of the flood) the screenplay appeared to become laboured and despite my initial goodwill I could not wait for the film to end.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER THAN IT WAS', 27 July 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Must admit I was caught in two minds regarding the purchase of this one, the film has
been slated by many reviewers and critics, however curiosity got the better of me.
This a Biblical tale -
'Noah' (Russell Crowe) and his wife 'Naameh' (Jennifer Connelly) scrape a living from
the baron landscape with their children.
'Noah' son of 'Seth' has always believed what his father had taught him as a child, and
has endeavoured to follow the path of his beliefs and faith.
He has a dream that he believes to be a message from God, he has visions of the World
being flooded to rid the planet of the evil that has flourished.
'Noah' seeks out his Great Grandfather, 'Methuselah' (Must admit without knowing he was
actually in the film, I knew 'Methuselah' had to be played by 'Anthony Hopkins' who else ? )
to make sense of his dreams and understand what has to be done.
'Noah' has to build an 'Ark' a construction large enough to house two of each creature that
walks or fly's, as well of course, to accommodate his immediate family.
He has the help of the 'Watchers' (fallen angels from log ago)
The King of the land 'Tubal-Cain' (Ray Winstone) who does not believe in miracles, and that
man is master of his own destiny, seeks to take charge of the Ark realising the flood 'Noah'
talks of is to become a reality.
The story on board during the flood a little to 'Hollywood' perhaps, though the film does have
it's moments though somewhat fanciful.
There of course are some decent Special-Effects along the way...
There have certainly been many Biblical drama's superior to this down the years, though I have
to say it was a little better than I expected, though, not great.
'Glad they remembered the 'Rainbow' at the end.
(Many experts have tried to prove or disprove events of the Bible down the years, I believe
evidence of a great flood has been found, however, efforts to find any remains of what would
need to have been a giant structure - 'The Ark' has not.(Though many believe it landed 16,946 ft
up on 'Mount Ararat' East Turkey)
Special Features -
* Iceland - Extreme Beauty.
* The Ark Exterior.
* A Battle for 300 Cubits.
* The Ark Interior.
* Animals Two by Two.

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Beginning, 11 Jun. 2014
Mr. Patrick G. Teague (Hythe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
Noah was a very intriguing film to watch. Cinematically there is a lot of originality about the film and it does it's best to remain theologically neutral. I was surprised at the high level of subtle violence in the film. Russell Crowe is always watchable and the comparisons between Noah and Maximus are undeniable. There were also good supporting acting from Anthony Hopkins and Ray Winstone. I'm still coming to terms with a post Harry Potter Emma Watson. The film trailers chose to avoid depicting the Watchers, perhaps wisely. While slow to get going, the film comes into its own with the introduction of the ark and the visual delights that accompany the unsympathetic destruction of the world. Overall, a worthwhile watch and while it will likely leave audiences, of all beliefs, with questions; there is no denying that Darron Aronofsky is a visionary.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was almost put off it by the great majority and now I have seen the film i ..., 29 July 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This film was not what I expected from the reviews I have read. I was almost put off it by the great majority and now I have seen the film i find them difficult to understand. I read the bible story as a child and was always aware of the darker side to it which this film reflects. I did read it from the bible though not some watered down versions which removed all the hard and difficult parts. The old testament is full of hard and difficult stories and Noah is one of the hardest to accept as a christian. Because as Christians we are raised in the light of the new covenant of the new testament which make our view of the old testament seem awful, terrible and harsh. But the film is much nearer to the story that i read than any film that i have seen before. If anything it was not dark enough there was only one indication of the beings who where the children of fallen angels with human women. Yes it is one mans interpretation of a a story a lot of people believe they know but don't knock that interpretation if it is nearer to the original than your own. Ignoring the biblical questions the story is a good story and the characters are well drawn and Russell Crowe plays a tormented man that I could believe. The supporting actors were all believable though the men were weaker than the women. Yes you could take notice of the accents but that is ok because it was before Nimrod LOL. I think its a film I could watch over and over again because of the depth of the story. But if you want a children's version of Noah's ark which you can walk away from with a smile on your face this is not for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this fairly recently with a relative and we both agreed that it was okay, but nothing more than that. The story never really seemed to develop and was actually quite boring in some parts, in my own personal opinion.

Perhaps worth watching once to pass a rainy day.

4.0 out of 5 stars A vision of an earlier form of the world..., 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this film. I tried not to read too many reviews beforehand, but it was difficult not to have been affected by negative opinions. However, very soon after the start, the story caught me up and Noah and I were on our own. I felt as if I was walking alongside human beings who were still puzzled by the young world they inhabited; still struggling to understand the nature of the creator. There was at times a post-apocalyptic sense, as if Noah and his family were alone in their fight for survival (although when the other inhabitants of the world showed up, keeping well away seemed a good option). The Watchers' fate - transformation from beautiful beings of light into ghastly, creaking stone giants - was impressive in its vindictiveness, and straight away let it be known that we were in the realm of a god who wasn't going to mess about when it came to punishment. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't find the pre-deluge part overlong; it was necessary, surely, in order to allow some sort of appreciation of the world about to be destroyed. And, in response to comments that questioned the presence of metal technology and other later discoveries in the antediluvian world, surely that was the point being made: the pre-flood world having been utterly destroyd by the creator chucking his toys out of the pram, nobody could have any true conception of what it had been like.

I was very impressed by Emma Watson, who touched me profoundly in many aspects of her performance. And Russell Crowe was outstanding: a man in torment, trying to carry out the orders of a god who chose to communicate only obliquely, leaving the man he/it had selected to save creation fumbling about in the dark as he tried to do the right thing. If that was how this god treated his favoured ones, no wonder he didn't hesitate to wipe out everyone else. And, indeed, one of the most haunting parts of 'Noah' was that terrible moment in the ark, where the frantic cries of the dying rang out as the waters rose relentlessly higher and higher up the last bit of high ground.

While I can appreciate that this take on the familiar Old Testament tale might upset some, I do urge you to see for yourselves. Seen in the context of early myth - of human beings struggling to make sense of their world - I found it thought-provoking, moving, and incredible to look at. Give it a go.

2.0 out of 5 stars ...erm...., 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Russell Crowe doing "angst" wandering about in a dressing gown. God being so shy He hides behind clouds, Ray Winstone playing Ray Winstone and Anthony Hopkins looking like he took the wrong turn out of the pub. Truly dreadful - this is an excuse for CGI. Somewhere floating out there in an imaginary flood is a very small script...that nobody bothered with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember...This Is Cinema. Not The Bible., 12 April 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Ok, let's really look at this movie.

I get really frustrated by the people putting this down because it's not like the bible. ...So let's compare this to Harry Potter. To some fans, Potter is like the holy grail. And are the movies exact to the book, page by page? No, they're not. But can the fans appreciate the films? Largely, yes, we can.

Now, honestly, if you were within biblical times and found out that everyone is going to die and everything ever made will disappear bar one family and a load of animals, how would you feel? Scrap that, how would you feel if that happened in today's world? We'd all have kittens! There'd be anarchy, people would be terrified. I would be!

The idea in the bible that Noah built an arc and everyone was okay with dying is not as realistic as this is. I'm someone who's open to interpretation and the fact is, in those early years, there were just people, the values and laws are not as strong and definitive as what we see today. So people attacking Noah and the arc because they're so terrified of the unknown is completely realistic. Just step back and think about it. We still fear the unknown today.

The cast are very well chosen. When I heard Emma Watson had been cast in...probably her biggest film to date...I wondered if she could handle it. And believe me, she does. Emma's performance is so believable and realistic, she had me close to tears at some points. I believe she's the standout performance in this and I think this film will truly make her career. Dakota Fanning was apparently supposed to take the role of Ila but couldn't due to conflicting schedules. I cannot imagine her in this role whatsoever. Emma makes an absolute spectacle of herself in this movie in all the right ways.

I can see why people would say Noah seems like he's insane in this. So, let's analyse Noah in this film. You see your father murdered as a child. What does that do to you? There are adults in this world who have seen such horror today and still aren't over it. What Noah is is driven by the belief that he is following 'The Creator's' word. He believes there's a set way and much like the people are afraid of the unknown, Noah fears deference from what he sees as the plan. Mix this with your childhood memories,the fact that you have been chosen for this task and the guilt of knowing that you couldn't save all the innocent lives...maybe you wouldn't necessarily be an entirely 'normal' state of mind either.

The locations and graphics of this film are amazing. Visually, all the nature is spectacular and I loved seeing all the animals head to the arc.

What you have to remember...this is a dramatized interpretation of a biblical story. This is not the Bible in movie form. I don't like seeing it judged as a homage to the Lord Almighty and the bible. I think this is a stunning film that brings a reality to what possibly was a great tragedy of the early world. Rather than think of it as a story from the bible, step back. Think about it. Think about how the characters might feel, then take in the stunning cut of this film. Hopefully then you can appreciate it for what it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected from the trailers I have seen ..., 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Noah (DVD)
Not what I expected from the trailers I have seen previously. Appeared to be a mixture of Transformers, Lord of the Rings and a bit of Harry Potter mixed into a film that doesn't really work. I don't remember hearing about 'rock angels' in the bible.......

3.0 out of 5 stars not great, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Wierd. Poor sfx more like cross between lord of the rings and the story of noah.

Noah [DVD]
Noah [DVD] by Darren Aronofsky (DVD - 2014)