1,216 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember...This Is Cinema. Not The Bible.
Ok, let's really look at this movie.

I get really frustrated by the people putting this down because it's not like the bible. ...So let's compare this to Harry Potter. To some fans, Potter is like the holy grail. And are the movies exact to the book, page by page? No, they're not. But can the fans appreciate the films? Largely, yes, we can.

Now,...
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

Must admit I was caught in two minds regarding the purchase of this one, the film has
been slated by many reviewers and critics, however curiosity got the better of me.
This a Biblical tale -
'Noah' (Russell Crowe) and his wife 'Naameh' (Jennifer Connelly) scrape a living from
the baron landscape with their children.
'Noah' son of 'Seth' has...
Published 10 months ago by rbmusicman

3.0 out of 5 stars 'A BIBLICAL STORY WORTHY OF A BETTER PRESENTATION THAN THIS TURNED OUT TO BE, 27 July 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This a Biblical tale -
the baron landscape with their children.
'Noah' son of 'Seth' has always believed what his father had taught him as a child, and
has endeavoured to follow the path of his beliefs and faith.
He has a dream that he believes to be a message from God, he has visions of the World
being flooded to rid the planet of the evil that has flourished.
'Noah' seeks out his Great Grandfather, 'Methuselah' (Must admit without knowing he was
actually in the film, I knew 'Methuselah' had to be played by 'Anthony Hopkins' who else ? )
to make sense of his dreams and understand what has to be done.
'Noah' has to build an 'Ark' a construction large enough to house two of each creature that
walks or fly's, as well of course, to accommodate his immediate family.
He has the help of the 'Watchers' (fallen angels from log ago)
The King of the land 'Tubal-Cain' (Ray Winstone) who does not believe in miracles, and that
man is master of his own destiny, seeks to take charge of the Ark realising the flood 'Noah'
talks of is to become a reality.
The story on board during the flood a little to 'Hollywood' perhaps, though the film does have
it's moments though somewhat fanciful.
There of course are some decent Special-Effects along the way...
There have certainly been many Biblical drama's superior to this down the years, though I have
to say it was a little better than I expected, though, not great.
'Glad they remembered the 'Rainbow' at the end.
(Many experts have tried to prove or disprove events of the Bible down the years, I believe
evidence of a great flood has been found, however, efforts to find any remains of what would
need to have been a giant structure - 'The Ark' has not.(Though many believe it landed 16,946 ft
up on 'Mount Ararat' East Turkey)
Special Features -
* Iceland - Extreme Beauty.
* The Ark Exterior.
* A Battle for 300 Cubits.
* The Ark Interior.
* Animals Two by Two.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started off bad, then went really good, then went terrible, 29 May 2015
Alan Dickson (Down South, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noah (Blu-ray)
Don't waste your time with this one. Firstly, I am a fan of the director. I really enjoyed Black Swan, Pi and The Wrestler. I am also a fan of many of the actors in this film, but none of this saves it from being terrible.
Russell Crowe overacts massively. Maybe this was his way of trying to save the film, by trying his hardest to bring some passion into the movie. I would say that it distracts from everyone else, but they look quite bored. I think many of them didn't really understand what was happening, so just took the money. The be fair, the film did get better as it went along and around the half way point was very good, but quickly it became terrible. With a poor start and very poor final hour, it is not something I could ever recommend.

The plot is strange to say the least. The rock monster characters are a strange addition and make the film more like Transformers rather than a biblical tale. Also the film was very graphic for a 12a rated film. There is lots of brutality and slaughter for a film of this age classification.

The only real positive is that the film on Blu-ray looked fantastic. Just a shame there wasn't an interesting story to go with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars In a god forsaken world ………..,, 4 Feb. 2015
Alan Jones (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
Not being a believer I approached Noah with a neutral viewpoint and although it has provoked strong opinions from both Christians and Jews about its ‘authenticity’ (I have read a brilliant review from a rabbi on Amazon.com) purely as a film it totally occupies the fantasy genre. The film definitely has the feel of Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy with its creation story, abandoned fallen angels (they reminded me of the Ents) and the barbaric behaviour of men in a barren wasteland ‘other worldly’ landscape. I have to admit that I totally bought into Russell Crowe’s intense portrayal of the outsider Noah, a descendent of Seth and a man possessed who gradually descends into madness because of the enormity of the role the Creator has assigned him, full of certainty and then lost in doubt. However, as the film progressed and despite the impressive cinematography and CGI (in particular the onset of the flood) the screenplay appeared to become laboured and despite my initial goodwill I could not wait for the film to end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this fairly recently with a relative and we both agreed that it was okay, but nothing more than that. The story never really seemed to develop and was actually quite boring in some parts, in my own personal opinion.

Perhaps worth watching once to pass a rainy day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember...This Is Cinema. Not The Bible., 12 April 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Ok, let's really look at this movie.

Now, honestly, if you were within biblical times and found out that everyone is going to die and everything ever made will disappear bar one family and a load of animals, how would you feel? Scrap that, how would you feel if that happened in today's world? We'd all have kittens! There'd be anarchy, people would be terrified. I would be!

The idea in the bible that Noah built an arc and everyone was okay with dying is not as realistic as this is. I'm someone who's open to interpretation and the fact is, in those early years, there were just people, the values and laws are not as strong and definitive as what we see today. So people attacking Noah and the arc because they're so terrified of the unknown is completely realistic. Just step back and think about it. We still fear the unknown today.

The cast are very well chosen. When I heard Emma Watson had been cast in...probably her biggest film to date...I wondered if she could handle it. And believe me, she does. Emma's performance is so believable and realistic, she had me close to tears at some points. I believe she's the standout performance in this and I think this film will truly make her career. Dakota Fanning was apparently supposed to take the role of Ila but couldn't due to conflicting schedules. I cannot imagine her in this role whatsoever. Emma makes an absolute spectacle of herself in this movie in all the right ways.

I can see why people would say Noah seems like he's insane in this. So, let's analyse Noah in this film. You see your father murdered as a child. What does that do to you? There are adults in this world who have seen such horror today and still aren't over it. What Noah is is driven by the belief that he is following 'The Creator's' word. He believes there's a set way and much like the people are afraid of the unknown, Noah fears deference from what he sees as the plan. Mix this with your childhood memories,the fact that you have been chosen for this task and the guilt of knowing that you couldn't save all the innocent lives...maybe you wouldn't necessarily be an entirely 'normal' state of mind either.

The locations and graphics of this film are amazing. Visually, all the nature is spectacular and I loved seeing all the animals head to the arc.

What you have to remember...this is a dramatized interpretation of a biblical story. This is not the Bible in movie form. I don't like seeing it judged as a homage to the Lord Almighty and the bible. I think this is a stunning film that brings a reality to what possibly was a great tragedy of the early world. Rather than think of it as a story from the bible, step back. Think about it. Think about how the characters might feel, then take in the stunning cut of this film. Hopefully then you can appreciate it for what it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars ...erm...., 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Russell Crowe doing "angst" wandering about in a dressing gown. God being so shy He hides behind clouds, Ray Winstone playing Ray Winstone and Anthony Hopkins looking like he took the wrong turn out of the pub. Truly dreadful - this is an excuse for CGI. Somewhere floating out there in an imaginary flood is a very small script...that nobody bothered with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected from the trailers I have seen ..., 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Noah (DVD)
Not what I expected from the trailers I have seen previously. Appeared to be a mixture of Transformers, Lord of the Rings and a bit of Harry Potter mixed into a film that doesn't really work. I don't remember hearing about 'rock angels' in the bible.......

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Beginning, 11 Jun. 2014
Mr. Patrick G. Teague (Hythe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
Noah was a very intriguing film to watch. Cinematically there is a lot of originality about the film and it does it's best to remain theologically neutral. I was surprised at the high level of subtle violence in the film. Russell Crowe is always watchable and the comparisons between Noah and Maximus are undeniable. There were also good supporting acting from Anthony Hopkins and Ray Winstone. I'm still coming to terms with a post Harry Potter Emma Watson. The film trailers chose to avoid depicting the Watchers, perhaps wisely. While slow to get going, the film comes into its own with the introduction of the ark and the visual delights that accompany the unsympathetic destruction of the world. Overall, a worthwhile watch and while it will likely leave audiences, of all beliefs, with questions; there is no denying that Darron Aronofsky is a visionary.

3.0 out of 5 stars not great, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Wierd. Poor sfx more like cross between lord of the rings and the story of noah.

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd but entertaining, 27 Aug. 2014
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Noah [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
What an odd movie. I think by the end I thought this is more about man vs environment than some religious devotion movie. I as curious as to what motivated Aaronofsky to direct this, and it's mix of fantasy mixed in with the bible story and the environmental issues, kind of made it clearer but still, odd but I enjoyed the epic nature of it. The Icelandic landscape in much of the shots is awesome. I did find the whole procreation from one family very ... Uncomfortable. Biblical stories are contradictory aren't they? Maybe made sense in times gone by, but there is a bit of eeeeew factor about the whole keep it in the family thing.

Russell Crowe is very good as the internally conflicted Noah, and Emma Watson is very very good in her role.

Noah [DVD]
Noah [DVD] by Darren Aronofsky (DVD - 2014)