Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 1 April 2014
I think we all know that the Kaiser Chiefs are VERY unlikely to ever top their first release, "Employment". However, there are some good songs on here, not up there with the majority of "Employment" but some maybe up with there with their 2nd album.

They need to get a new producer though - this is has a ridiculous amount of compression on the whole album, resulting in it lacking in any dynamics, light and shade and a lot of things sounding very distorted. It sounds likes the producer was in a rush and just compressed everything "to 11" without even listening to it, which totally distracts from some of the songs actually being quite good, and ruins the listening experience.

I wish people would wise up to the so called "Trend" of making things louder and louder every year - just for the benefit of people with an iPod and £3 set of headphones. It's crazy that recording technology has improved so much over the last 20 years and what can be achieved is amazing, yet it all gets ruining in the production, taking things back to the dark ages. Have a listen to "Employment", which Is definitely a lot better produced, and see if you can notice the difference.
on 9 May 2014
I have a stupidly wide aural range that i can hear, so I'm maybe a bit more fussy than most. But this album sounds clipped, and muffled.
I think whoever produced this is a vinyl fan as they've compressed the dynamic range way beyond the neccessary. Had to play some pink floyd and daft punk just to be sure my hearing wasnt going!
Songs themselves seem OK. But I spent more time fiddling with the amp than paying attention.
Maybe one for listening to in the car rather than a HiFi
on 26 July 2015
Given what they have been capable of this is a poor effort and in my opinion they are, unfortunately, past it. It is over-produced and on too many of the songs Wilson's voice just grates. The drumming sounds too one-paced and 'bang, bang, bang' and the synths are far too prominent throughout.

As for the social-conscience guff lyrics...Don't get me started. These guys must be millionaires at least, and they are little too Establishment to be commenting as though they are part of some moral Working Class hero crusade.

Anybody who likes this album must, in my book, fall into the following camps: 1) The "wasn't it great to see Ricky on the (God-awful) 'Voice'?" camp. 2) Blindingly loyal sycophants who would accept an album of white noise and computer bleeps from them - which this might as well be. 3) Those who would like to believe that the Kaisers are still on a par with the 2005-2006 eminence. 4) Those who refuse to accept that the Kaiser have become a naff pastiche.

Somebody called them indie on another review. Hmmm...excuse me while I recover from rupturing my sides with that one! Mind you, at least that comment gave me some enjoyment, which compensated for the 48-minutes I wasted in listening to this. Off to the charity shop you now go Mr E, E, E & War CD!
on 2 April 2014
Great to have Kaiser Chiefs back with an album as good as either of their previous efforts. Would recommend to anyone with good taste in music.
on 9 April 2014
This is an excellent album. I would recommend just sitting and listening to it. Take it all in. It speaks to so many people on different levels. Very clever, thought provoking lyrics.

Plus it is a return to form, signs of the old Kaiser Chiefs peeking through. I love it!
on 7 April 2014
Very very good album, may nto be as good as the old ones (e.g. Employment or Your Truly Angry Mob). But new Kaiser Cheifs sound definitely great.

Packaging + Delivery was great - it even arrived before offcial release!
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2014
Have been a fan of the Kaisers since there first release whilst I was at college and have bought every album since. After the dud that was The Future is Medieval, the Kaisers have released probably their second best album.

The tracks are far more lively than the dull forgettable tracks on the last album, and they even have memorable chorus's. Coming Home, Bows and Arrows, Up in Heaven, Factory Gates are my personal favourites.

The only thing that lets the album down is the silly Bill Nighy poem, which whilst I can appreciate it, it's a shame that is attached to the Adam Ant Education and War track.

Looking forward to see what the future holds for the chiefs.
on 13 April 2014
This album is definitely more of a sequel to Yours Truly, Angry Mob than their last once which was a little more playful. The tone of the record is more angry and disaffected than on previous albums and songs such as Factory Gates, Cannons and Bows and Arrows are loud, propulsive songs which will have fans singing along and chanting at their live shows. Coming Home is a different sound from them and is all the better for it as it gives them more variety in their catalogue. Definitely an album of the year contender. Buy it if you like loud and raucous songs, plus Mr Wilson has never sounded so good. Bang on form.
on 3 February 2016
The album is full of high energy rock songs, though can't touch the first two releases by the Kaiser Chiefs.
Unfortunately the bonus songs I wanted are ONLY featured on the bonus MC which is pretty much useless if you don't have a tape cassette player.

The included gym bag is a fun idea, but flimsy cheaply made (in China).

All in all I have a bit of a feeling the band tried to compensate with gimmicky extras on this deluxe version. My buying recommendation goes to all die-hard fans, all others pick up the regular version...

Peace out
on 9 May 2016
It's moody, angry, and more than a bit cynical. A bit like me (sometimes). It's a return to form from one of my favourite bands, with catchy songs, storming drums and rocking guitars. The title gives away the theme of this album, and there are some corkers in the lyrics ("Making the difficult decisions, with politicians and children first" brings a cynical chuckle), and the songs stick really well to the topic.

My personal favourites are "Cannons" and "Meanwhile, Up in Heaven".