5.0 out of 5 stars Always outstanding
I don't know what is the formula but Insomnium is always capable of making their genre of metal sound special.
Published 2 months ago by J. Wallis

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, crushed master
Another good album from Insomnium. However the great songs are let down - once again - by a poor mix and even worse mastering. How about some dynamic range in your records guys. But if you aren't someone who notices such things then add a star and go on and enjoy one of the best melodic death metal albums of the year.
Published 1 month ago by Grumpyrocker

5.0 out of 5 stars Always outstanding, 9 May 2014
J. Wallis "Hawk" (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful journey..., 28 April 2014
So Insomnium's 6th album is finally here. Actually, this is not just another album but rather a beautiful journey full of emotions that will offer you a great companion either when travelling or when you are at home. 'Shadows Of The Dying Sun' is with no doubt another great addition to Insomnium's back catalogue. The band has been steadily growing through the years and since day one the music always maintained an amazing quality in every aspect. The previous album 'One For Sorrow' was a masterpiece in my opinion but thankfully Insomnium have managed to produce another album which is on par in terms of quality (if not better).

I will refrain from providing a detailed description of each song (you can find plenty detailed reviews on the web) but I would like to stress that the music of the whole album is just beautiful. All new songs are excellent and the atmosphere these Finns create is just amazing - this is pure art! The production is top-notch as well and enhances the value of this studio offering.

As you would expect, melancholy meets aggression in a perfect balance; The guitar work from the founding member Ville Friman and the new member Markus Vanhala (also in Omnium Gatherum) is great throughout: there are really good riffs, sweet melodies, acoustic passages, and beautiful solos - keyboards are also used effectively. This time there are more parts with clean vocals (courtesy of Ville Friman) which add to the atmosphere and successfully support a nice melody. For instance, this approach is more prominent in the song 'Lose to Night' which has an excellent and really infectious chorus. Of course the harsh vocals have always been excellent and very expressive in Insomnium and Niilo Sevänen (vocals/bass) has once more done an excellent job - definitely one of the best guys in the scene and really fitting in his dual role. A special mention should be made to the drummer Markus Hirvonen whose playing is the backbone of each song and adopts an even more technical approach in this album (you will even hear some blast beats!). Finally, to complete the perfect puzzle, the lyrics are very deep and dark as always and complement the music perfectly.

Insomnium is not a typical band in the melodic death metal scene and as long as they manage to create this unique and eloquent atmosphere which combines melancholy and heaviness, they will always deserve to be in the top of their league. From the bottom of my heart, kiitos for the new album guys! Hopefully, see you on tour!

PS1 I would suggest the limited 2CD digipack edition with the extra tracks (1 new song plus 3 tracks which originally appeared on the 'Ephemeral' e.p. (or if you can pay something extra the Casket edition which can be ordered from the band's website and includes the digipack, a t-shirt, a textile flag, a signed post card and a patch).

PS2 Check also: Dark Tranquillity, Before the Dawn, Omnium Gatherum, Amorphis, Wolfheart, Ghost Brigade, Swallow the Sun, Noumena, Amon Amarth, Bel'akor, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Black Sun Aeon, Dawn of Solace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 7 July 2014
A great album that only gets better with each listening

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, crushed master, 30 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST WOW!, 9 Jun 2014
This album, is absolutely MINDBLOWING! If you are even a slight fan, listen to this album. Really, cannot believe that they can just keep producing better and better albums \m/

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 2 Jun 2014
insomnium have captured the true essence of melodic death metal I find it an odd mix because its brutal yet soothing I can quite easily put my headphones in and chill to there songs as much as I can pump out a gym session with aggression listening to it, either way it is fantastic and shadows of the dying sun is a truly great album love the guitar riffs especially "while we sleep" and "lose tonight" but every single song to me has a great moment in it, there must be something in finlands water because there producing some top notch bands, keep going insomnium!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 14 May 2014
Good stuff but need a good amp/setup to really hear the greatness. Been waiting awhile for this but not disappointed at all. Give it a go :)

4.0 out of 5 stars why do i like this so much?, 15 May 2014
Hedon (Eternal Night) - See all my reviews
In the Halls of Awaiting and Under the Weeping World are two of the most beloved of my metal collection. I’ll never forget the first time I hear Insomnium; it was a revelation. However, my interest has started to wane in the band as the last two records, Across the Dark and One for Sorrow, as high-quality as they were, didn’t really bring any new ideas to the table. Actually, after hearing a few samples of this, I had geared myself up to hate this album and write it off as ‘another identical Insomnium cd’. However, something different happened…

I really, really like Shadows of The Dying Sun. I mean, really REALLY really, and for the life of me I can’t figure out why. There’s nothing on here remarkably different from the last three albums, but for some reason Shadows has captivated my attention and burrowed its way into my subconscious mid just like Weeping World and Halls did. Its melodies sweep through my mind when doing mundane tasks. I think about it during my breaks at work. Why? It still sounds so similar. Omnium Gatherum guitarist Markus Vanhala may make his presence known, as his leads and solos are a little bit flashier and have a bit more flair than his predecessor, but still, he doesn’t really alter the bands trademark dreary, wind-swept melodic death bread and butter sound. Also, there are more clean vocals than ever before, but that was to be expected with the way the band has been going.

Well, I’m not too sure I can articulate it; maybe this is just a bloody great album? Maybe it’s just a better than One for Sorrow and Across the Dark? At the very least, if there is something different going on here, I cannot hear it. But what I can hear is a damn great Insomnium record.

Consistency may breed contempt in some, but in others it breeds familiarity and loyalty; perhaps I’m just lucky to be of the later. In the ears of yours truly, (with the exception of Lose To Night, which actually cured my insomnia) this is just so bloody brilliant that I don’t care if it’s similar to their previous work. Don’t expect Shadows of the Dying Sun to reinvent the band in any way, but don’t write this off as ‘just another Insomnium album’. You might like it just as much as I do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and repetitive, 9 May 2014
M. Easton (UK) - See all my reviews
Half the songs sound identical, as if they picked a particular melody then used it as a base for several songs, not because I'm old and don't appreciate the music style. My second gripe is that the vocals are buried so far in the mix they are barely audible without changing my equaliser settings about.

I've listened to it three times now and I'm just bored of it. I won't be listening to this album very much. I much prefer the previous two albums.

Shadows Of The Dying Sun [VINYL]
Shadows Of The Dying Sun [VINYL] by Insomnium (Vinyl - 2014)