Published 3 months ago by Marco13

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry but I got bored...
I love Terry Gilliam in everything he did in the Past but & I really tried hard to like this one but sorry I got bored after 60 min......? I guess I expected too much Still Amazing what he was trying to do.....? This is more like Adult Drama and very Dark ....? Really very Dark.....? And its never recovering from that......? From 10 out of 10 ill give it a 5+ to 6 -
Published 6 months ago by Andreas Kulus

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly weird and eccentric take on Alice in Wonderland, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Tideland [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A brilliantly weird and eccentric take on Alice in Wonderland, despite Mr Gilliam professing no reference to that story. Although this is a book adaptation, there's not really much of a storyline, just wonderful performances by the leading lady (she was 9 at the time !) and a sort of macabre magic throughout.....the so called red queen is a warped christian embalmer, Mr Bridges is a scagged out rock and roller who's 'vacations' are facilitated by his daughter's hyper dermic preparations, until he OD's and is taxidermically delivered back to the one eyed witch who was his previous lover, aided by her loopy ward (this film's mad hatter ?). Instead of a glued out chapiterie, this one thinks he is an epileptic Sea Captain and the local train, a sea monster. Not giving the end away but there's undertones of Captain Nemo here and as with all Gilliam films, a kaleidoscopic mash of references and influences.

4.0 out of 5 stars A deeply disturbing yet masterful film., 17 Dec 2014
Bearman (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tideland [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Terry Gilliam is possibly my favourite director, and I bought this film purely on his name, and knowing absolutely nothing else about it.

I sat down to watch it one evening on my own, and spent the next 1.5 hours on a nightmare trip being dragged through a horrific world of drug addiction and death. This film is truly disturbing in a way no horror flick can be. The little girl who is the central character seems to shine like an unsullied light amidst the dark depravity all around her, and then a kiss throws it all into confusion. The rare and occasional sparks of hope in the film get snuffed out leaving you feeling bleak and defiled. Even where there is a piece of humour, it is too dark to lift your spirits.

It terms of film quality, it is a beautifully created movie. The photography is superb, the imagery clear and crisper than you could possibly want. The acting is truly excellent, and Jeff Bridges went up in my estimation for doing this film.

I strongly recommend this films to others with a massive proviso: brace yourself - you will feel the need to wash when it's finished. I think that it is a brilliant film, but I only watched it once, and I never want to see it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a rainy day, 5 Sep 2014
This review is from: Tideland [DVD] (DVD)
Perfect for a rainy day

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry but I got bored..., 31 May 2014
Andreas Kulus "midge ure" (australia) - See all my reviews

Tideland [Blu-ray]
Tideland [Blu-ray] by Terry Gilliam (Blu-ray - 2014)