5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, sad and heartwarming
I loved Driving Jarvis Ham and was delighted to discover that J.B.Morrison had written another novel.

Published 11 months ago by JohnBrassey

2.0 out of 5 stars it is funny, for at least the first half
Published 5 months ago by Susan

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, sad and heartwarming, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81 (Kindle Edition)

When I saw the title I wondered if I would be in for another The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared (another favourite) but, whilst there are some parallels in an elderly but still very young at heart protagonist , Frank Derrick is more grounded in the reality that is old age in Britain today. This does not mean that the book is all doom and gloom - Morrison's wonderful humour prevents that and, in Frank Derrick, he has created a very funny lonely old man of the 21st century.

Frank falls under a milk float and , in doing so, his life takes a turn for the better bringing the lovely young professional carer Kelly Christmas into his life. Kelly gives his life purpose and the much needed company that his widowhood has deprived him of.

The book provides plenty to think about - old people are so often portrayed as ,well, OLD but Frank is thoroughly modern in his outlook - long silver hair, a friend who was a Punk, not too old to consider a tattoo and fully aware of email and the Internet even if not immersed in them. And that's how pensioners are today ( I speak from experience).

I urge you to give this a try. It's funny, it's sad but most of all it is heartwarming.

And when you've read it, go and make a cup of tea for a lonely old person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Jun. 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I didn't have any expectations of whether I was going to like this book before I read it as I have never previously read a book by this author. But after reading it, I can say that I really loved it.

I'm not going o give a synopsis of the book as it's already on the product page... But what that page doesn't tell you is the way in which the author can really make a connection and bond between the characters in the story, and the reader. I really began to feel an affection for Frank. He was a real personality. Some of the lines that he comes out with are laugh out loud funny. Others make you think, and others make you realise and acknowledge how frail people really can be.

This is a talented author who writes about people in such an engaging way that it's easy to become pretty immersed in your reading!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant un-put-downable sort of book., 9 July 2014
I read this in a day as it's one of those un-put-downable sort of books. I must be honest and say I pretty much love anything written by Mr Morrison, and do check out his albums as they are, as you would expect from his fiction, works of genius (and no I wasn't paid to say this). Having read Driving Jarvis Ham, Goodnight Jim Bob and Storage Stories, I already knew the Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick would be good and I wasn't disappointed as it's the best of the lot.

We will all get old (if we're lucky) and what happens then? We will still be what we are, admittedly with wrinklier skin and a weaker bladder, but fundamentally we will be the same, although our youth obsessed society will dismiss us and what the hell will that feel like?

J.B Morrison (aka as Jim Bob from Carter USM fame) has written a beautiful novel that captures the bittersweet nature of the ageing process perfectly with his character of everyman, Frank Derrick, an incredibly funny, but lonely 81 year old with long hair and a love of film and the Sex Pistols.

Mr Morrison drags out into the light our hidden fears of the ageing process (well mine anyway, I'm getting on).

Exploring desire, loss, love, fear and loneliness all mixed together with a large and lovely dollop of laugh out loud humour; he tells the tale of a middling sort of life, a man who in the greater scheme of things has achieved little, apart from having a wife he loved and who loved him and a daughter that he was devoted to. But with his wife dead and his daughter in America, Frank is left to live out his remaining years alone. With a stinging humour and a refusal to be patronised, as the elderly often are, Frank is a man who will not go gentle into that good night. After getting hit by a milk float (I said it was funny) Frank's routine, a life punctuated by feeding his cat, trips to the charity shop to purchase a variety of ceramic ornaments and buying cheap beans is suddenly moved off its axis by the arrival of his care worker, who sees Frank as the person he still is.

If you read anything this summer I would read this, it will make you laugh (a lot) and get a bit moist around the eyes, it will encourage you to phone your Dad (or your Mum) and really listen to what they say, it will make you think about maybe not putting off the things you really want to do cos' tomorrow may never come and maybe just maybe, next time you see an elderly person waiting at the bus stop, you'll take the time to stop and have a chat with them.

Just remember we are all Frank Derrick.

Right - off for a cup of tea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 5 Jun. 2014
Book Addict Shaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Frank Derrick is eighty-one. And he's just been run over by a milk float. Okay I don't know about you but that's one of the best openings to a book blurb I think I've ever read. I had no idea what to expect from this book and really, it's like nothing I've ever read before. I read mostly crime fiction, chick lit, thrillers, true crime and autobiographies. So this book was very different from my normal read but I absolutely loved it.

Frank is a wonderful and hilarious character. I warmed to him straight away and he had me laughing many times throughout the book. He lives somewhat of a lonely life as his wife has passed away and his daughter lives abroad. When he is hit by a milk float his daughter arranges some home help which at first Frank does not want. When he meets Kelly Christmas however he is left having second thoughts, and wishing that he had made a better impression. No sooner is she out the door after her first visit and he's counting down the days till she returns. Soon they form a lovely friendship and Frank has to resort to finding ways to keep her coming round and also to pay her which makes for some funny scenes.

The book is incredibly funny, and I could fill a review with some of the one liners but I think this is a book which should be read and discovered by the reader and they to can fall in love with the story. It's quite a life affirming read and left me actually questioning my own life. At 24 I already have some regrets about what I have and haven't done and that really shouldn't be the case. With older people in particular I think people sometimes forget they were young people themselves too, with hopes and dreams. Frank wakes up each morning counting the aeroplanes flying overhead and thinking if he stays in bed he will feel young, rather than getting up and looking in the mirror or feeling his aches and pains.

The author says in a Q&A in the book that this isn't a book about an old man but a book about a man who just happens to be old. Why because someone is old can't they still enjoy the things they enjoyed when they were younger? I think this will be particularly interesting in this day and age, with so much reliance on technology and the Internet etc when we ourselves are in our 70s and 80s will we abandon all of that? I don't think we will. I used to visit my Nan and Grandad every day when I was younger, I try and visit often now but perhaps don't go as often as I should. This book reminds me that I should. Despite the sad parts, alongside the humour this really is an uplifting and wonderful read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

2.0 out of 5 stars it is funny, for at least the first half, 8 Dec. 2014
As a pensioner myself, I downloaded a sample and then the whole book. And yes, it is funny, for at least the first half. After that - I got more and more frustrated by Frank and his character. In the end, this is a rather sad story of someone's obsession with a carer and his increasingly ridiculous urge to fund just a few more hours with her. If I were Karen Christmas - I would have run a mile from this octogenarian weirdo! I finished the book with a rather deep loathing of Frank - and he really doesn't deserve to get his cat back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jim hits his stride..., 16 July 2014
Like, I suspect, many of the reviewers here, Mr Morrison can do very little wrong in my eyes. That said, probably my favourite lyric writer of the last 25 years has taken a proper writer's journey to get to this little gem. His first two novels were thoroughly enjoyable reads, but felt a little 'bitty' - the beauty of his punning pop writing struggling to coalesce in a longer form. Now he has utterly cracked it, with a lead character that is fully realised and could well be one of your neighbours...or your Dad...or you, in not that many years time. It's not War & Peace or Crime & Punishment, it's a funny/poignant, very British book from a man who understands his generation, popular culture, and the stuff that makes us all tick. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, whilst on holiday, 7 July 2014
OK. An easy read, whilst on holiday, but sort of waiting for it to get going, but never really did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 10 July 2014
I loved this book - it made me literally laugh out loud. Beautifully and intelligently written. Full marks Mr Morrison!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and a bit sad, 18 Dec. 2014
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is a very pleasant story of an old widower who has let himself and his flat go. Into Frank's life , funded by his expat daughter comes a young carer Kelly whose breath of fresh air presence lifts his spirits and gives him something to look forward to once a week. But all good things come alas to an end as his daughter has to withdraw her funding. Would have liked a bit more of a description of Kelly as she is central to the tale.
Stacks of humour as Frank seeks ways to earn a bit extra , prolong her visits and deal with his more conservative neighbours .
A very funny and quite touching piece if writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you do 3 things ♡, 2 July 2014
As an avid reader that eat books like ...well like a book worm it's not often something truely origional pops up and makes me sit up pay attention and read properly i mean really read! This book will make you do three things 1.Annoy who ever you share a bed/train/park bench with because you will snort laugh to yourself all the way through.2.Waste your time trying to read your cats facial expressions. 3.Ring your remaining olds for a chat and talk for more than the standard dutifull call length...I truely enjoyed this book and look foward to sharing it with friends so we can have in jokes mainly about bob :)