4.0 out of 5 stars A biography of John Arlott
Published 23 months ago by jonathan townsend

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting content, but didn't like author's style.
First, a note about the Kindle edition that bears no reflection on the author: this was easily the most poorly "typeset" e-book that I have have read. The book was littered with small errors and occasional large ones where chunks of text had been duplicated—most irritating.

I remember JA as the voice of cricket on Test Match Special. I have...
Published 2 months ago by Roger Cavanagh

4.0 out of 5 stars A biography of John Arlott, 6 Dec 2012
A carefully researched, honest and well written biography of a fascinating man. It is as a cricket commentator that we knew JA best, but his politics, poetry, love of books and enjoyment of wine combine with his time in the police force and friendship with an array of famous and interesting people to make this a hugely enjoyable book even, if not especially, for us non-cricketers.
John Arlott was an intelligent, erudite and generous man; I can think of few more interesting or entertaining people to invite to a dinner-party - this book makes me really wish I had known him.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting content, but didn't like author's style., 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Arlott: The Authorised Biography (Kindle Edition)

I remember JA as the voice of cricket on Test Match Special. I have "Cricketing Wides, Byes and Slips" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlotts-Cricketing-Wides-Slips-Audio/dp/1408409496) playing as I write this. I did not realise the breadth of his talent and erudition, or his capacity for wine. There is much interesting biographical detail in this book, but I didn't really enjoy reading it. I can't really put my finger on it; it was just something about the author's writing style that made reading seem like hard work.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 22 Jun 2013
Fond memories of radio commentaries as a kid whilst should have been doing exam revision. Also of staying up at night for the Centenary test

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Arlott: The Authorised Biography (Kindle Edition)
Ver.y interesting about his early life with more to follow

4.0 out of 5 stars Arlott, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Arlott: The Authorised Biography (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read. Interesting man. TMS no near his quality these days but neither are today's cricketers as good as those who went before them. There is an ordinariness about our world - as to TMS just compare Arlott with Boycott!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Arlott: The Authorised Biography (Kindle Edition)
A bit slow, very processional and bulked out from a chronological list of events and achievements. I felt saddened by the end as I found my opinion of an all time hero had been tainted!

3.0 out of 5 stars I found it hard to like either the book or Arlott himself, 23 Sep 2014
Mr. P. J. Hayes (Tiptoe, Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arlott: The Authorised Biography (Kindle Edition)
I felt the book was hard to engage with - maybe it was because Arlott himself was difficult to engage with. I found it hard to like either the book or Arlott himself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 July 2014
Ianmcnaughton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arlott: The Authorised Biography (Kindle Edition)
an excellent biography of the greatest cricket commentator ever

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for cricket lovers, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Arlott: The Authorised Biography (Kindle Edition)
A well written & informative book - a must for cricket lovers

Arlott: The Authorised Biography