5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational!
Published 4 months ago by 5StarNomad

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought it would be better
No great tracks on it, nothing stands out, there are one or two that are okay, but most of them are boring and not very interesting. Feel he has lost his way a bit, I easily prefer Knife Party.
Published 4 months ago by Sue UK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Recess (Audio CD)
I've followed Skrillex though never bought any tracks by him. However, when I heard previews of this album, I was taken aback by how amazing it is. The album has a great energy to it. Also, it really hangs together well as an album and feels like a whole piece of work rather than just a collection of different tracks. It's really cleverly put together and cements Skrillex as one of today's top producers. Really enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality album!, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Recess (Audio CD)
Always liked Skrillex, but this album takes it to the next level! I would definitely recommend to anyone that is a fan of dubstep!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Recess (Audio CD)
After a short hiatus and murmurings of an album through many forums, there is finally a Skrillex album to hand and I can firmly say that it doesn't disappoint. What's wonderful about this album is really the variety of genres and Skrillex managing to keep up with the electronic scene without cheapening his music to do so, with tracks different from straight brostep explosions of noise such as Ragga Bomb to those that are experimental such as Doompy Poomp. The track that stands out to me however is Ease My Mind which opens with a beatifully simplistic melody reminding me of Skream's remix of In For the Kill and Bjork's signature sounds, it then drops straight into wonderfully feel good territory that Skrillex is known to offer his fans. This album really does have something for everyone and while some have stated disappointment over the change in direction that Skrillex has gone his last few releases
post-Bangarang, many others can embrace this album thoroughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Welcome Break From Tradition, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Recess (MP3 Download)
As I'd heard many mixed reviews of this album, I decided that I would try to critique this as objectively as possible.

As the album opened up with a fairly decent brostep track (though nothing special, by any means) I began to wonder if the less favourable reviews were actually right, but as the album unfolded, I was pleasantly surprised.

The album incorporates a wide range of styles, from Skrillex's particular well-known brand of dubstep to drum'n'bass, with some jazz vibes and quite a lot of influence from trap (and even a friendly nod from some of dubstep's earlier roots. While I won't lie and will admit that a few of the tracks did take quite a number of listens to grow on me, I thoroughly enjoy the whole album now and there are a lot of wonderful composition and sound design ideas explored on this record, with mood swings between songs ranging from raw, angry and agressive straight into chilled-out and laidback.

Whilst the album may not appeal to people who are die-hard fans of Skrillex's fairly consistent style in his previous releases, I do think that it has something for everyone on it, be it vocal trap mayhem in Dirty Vibe, the incredibly listenable percussion edits and unexpected half-time drop in Stranger, sheer anthems like Ease My Mind, the chill vibes in Fire Away, the sonic madness (and sheer interestingness of Doompy Poomp) and everything in between.

I'm sure a lot of people will accuse him of selling out and it won't be to everybody's tastes, but despite this being his most experimental and genre-spanning piece of work, I also believe that it's one of his most cohesive sets of tunes which showcases his abilities in many styles outside of the brostep that he is so well known for and it definitely shows a maturing sound.

Props, great album.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Recess (Audio CD)
Garbage. What happened? Why? Are the 5 star reviews for real? Seriously... What a waste of time and effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awww yeahhh, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Recess (Audio CD)
This experimental album is probably the exact reason why I rated it five star: It's totally enslaving. Each track has its own style, and at the same tim still having that signature sound that Skrillex always brings. If people are always expecting the same from him, then what's the point of developing and having fun? He successfully brought out around five successful EPs, and has ever since impress millions of people.His first ever album release and I think he's pulled it off well. Kudos to him.

Oh, and the artwork is lush!

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved everything up until now, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Recess (Audio CD)
Loved everything up until now. This change in direction is just bloody awful, it sounds like it's from 20-25 years ago and not in a good way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I used to love Skrillex when I was younger (about 4 years ago), 4 July 2014
This review is from: Recess (Audio CD)
I used to love Skrillex when I was younger (about 4 years ago), but then I moved on and I only liked the odd one or two from his new work... This album changes everything, it's just perfect. He definitely grew as a producer and the new album has a lot of hype and energy to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars What the hell happened?, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Recess (Audio CD)
I don't normally feel compelled to write reviews, but in this case I've made an exception.

I loved Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, and most of the tracks on Bangarang even though there was a noticeable drop in quality from Skrillex's earlier work. This, on the other hand, I listened to about half of before deciding it was one of the worst albums I'd ever heard and turning it off to save my sanity.

To my ears, every track sounds like a shoddy dubstep remix of 'Who Let the Dogs Out', only less melodic. I normally try and be objective about different types of entertainment media, as everyone has different tastes, but I really couldn't find any redeeming qualities in this piece of 'music'. It was just a raucous, distorted, tuneless mess, and I'm genuinely surprised by the positive reviews on here.

My advice to anyone who liked Skrillex's earlier work: don't buy this, you'll regret it.

There, I've vented, I feel better now.

5.0 out of 5 stars It has grow on me, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Recess (MP3 Download)
I have all of Skrillex's previous stuff and when I saw this I know I had to download it. It took me a few good listens to it before I truly feel in love with it. It chops and changes through the styles and some of the lyrics are a bit flat but overall as good as his earlier stuff but he is evolving as he tells his story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›