5.0 out of 5 stars Unjustly Slated: Up There With The First Two
Published on 31 Oct 2009 by Tommo 18/7

3.0 out of 5 stars Seriously what's going on here...
Seriously what's going on here with these 'remasters'. Its obviously 5 stars for the phenomenal music on show here, as is the case with most Zeppelin albums, except 'In Through The Outdoor' and 'Coda' (4 and 3 stars respectively), but I am still not sure why these albums had to be remastered again and that too with some questionable retuning on some songs.

I...
Published 27 days ago by K. Wadehra

5.0 out of 5 stars Unjustly Slated: Up There With The First Two, 31 Oct 2009
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
Led Zeppelin III...For many years, this has been regarded as a weaker album in Zeppelin's output from '69 - '75, however, that tag seems to have rightly dropped now. Sure, this has a more accoustic/folk feel to it ( espicially on the old side two), but the accoustic numbers are powerful in their own right and when the electric stuff rocks, it's up there with the first two albums.

" The Immigrant Song" is a classic piece of no-nonsense heavy metal, " Freinds" is an equally heavy piece of accoustic genius. " Celebration Day" is a feelgood, riff laden work of art, " Since I've Been Loving You" is one of the greatest songs ever made, the blues guitar of Page bouncing off the melencholy vocals of Plant is genius in full flow, " Out On The Tiles" is sassy,classy and packs a punch.
" Gallows Pole" is dark, melodic and excellent, " Tangerine" is beautiful, yet bitter-sweet, " That's The Way" , " Bron - Y - Aur Stomp" & " Hats Off To ( Roy) Harper" , shows the units accoustic genius and proficency.

Granted, you could be forgiven for having to work a little harder to appriciate this after the first two heavier releases, but your paitence will be very rewarded, as this is yet another masterpiece by one of the greatest bands that ever walked the earth.

Excellent: AAAA++++

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but where's 'Hey, hey, what can I do'?, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)
I have little to add to the generally glowing reviews of this cd. It's a truly classic album and a great first example of Zeppelin's variety of approach, and yes, this remastering has improved significantly on the previous version.

However, and the reason for the one star deduction, my one very, very big gripe with this reissue is that with an entire extra disc to play with, no room could be found for the non-album 'B' side to the 'Immigrant song' single, ie 'Hey, hey, what can I do'. This could easily have been included without deleting any of the outtakes, and is way ahead in terms of quality of more than a few of these extra tracks. Why on earth was this left off? I doubt very much indeed if I'm the only Led Zeppelin fan left puzzled and disappointed by this omission.

Five stars for the music of course, but this really is a missed opportunity to bring a good track in from the cold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Blues Rock Classic? Yes and No, 15 Nov 2007
Crazy Bald Heid "kennyb63" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
After the first two albums the record buying punter probably thought he knew exactly what he was going to get - another dose of beefed up virtuoso blues rock. Well there sure is some of that but there is also.............

The Immigrant Song - what an opener - there is not another song like his in the world. Terrifying wailing Plant vocal driven by Pages big choppy riff and the rhythm section from hell. Were the Vikings scarier than this? Yikes.

Friends is an opportunity to catch breath, an pleasant change down.

Celebration Day is a rocker with a twiddly riff driven along by JPJ and Bonzo.

Since I've Been Loving You is an exquisite slow blues, this is every band member at the absolute top of his game. Possibly my favourite LZ track, amongst some tough competition. Jimmy knock off a guitar break that must make Eric Clapton weep, it is beyond perfect.

Out On the Tiles is a straight up rocker living in the shadow of some of the bands finest moments.

And that's it for the rock bits. The balance of the album takes on a folky tinge inspired by the bucolic surroundings of their Welsh country cottage.

It's all a pleasant change of pace and a pointer to the future direction of the band. The beautiful, melodic Tangarine is most peoples stand out track on the second side, but its all good. The remastered cd here benefits all tracks but the clarity is most apparent on the acoustic tracks such as the Bron Y Aur Stomp (named after the aforementioned cottage).

To many people this album must have been a shock departure from the tried ant tested formula of the first two albums, and perhaps explains why this deceptive classic does not get mentioned in the same revered tones as the first two albums, the nameless next album and the sprawling Physical Graffiti. However its a great surprise and if you want to get a woman into Zep - Tangerine is a proven winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars So I'm not the only one..., 20 Sep 2002
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
...who thinks this is Zep's best? Thank goodness, I've always thought there was something wrong with me - whenever people have the old "is Led Zep IV or Physical Graffiti their best album" discussion, I've mumbled "what about Led Zep III" under my breath.
I bought this album in the week of it's original release, back in the early 70s, and loved it from the opening bludgeoning banshee wail of Immigrant Song onwards on first listen. What happy memories...
This was the album when Zep really unveiled what they were all about. The previous two albums had been wonderful enough, but the songs were drawn from a fairly narrow range. On this album, we had the hard rockers (Immigrant Song) and blues homage (Since I've Been Loving You) which we'd grown to expect, but the band also unveiled their more whymsical side - Gallows Pole, That's The Way, Bron Y Aur stomp, proving that they knew a thing or two about tunes as well.
Stand-out tracks - Immigrant Song (a candidate for the best opening 10 seconds of an album) and Since I've Been Loving You, on which Jimmy Page's guitar playing reached it's absolute zenith.
If you want to know what bands like The Music and Hundred Reasons have been listening to, go out and buy this. Go on go on go on go on...

3.0 out of 5 stars Seriously what's going on here..., 25 July 2014
K. Wadehra "Bass head" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)

I bought the II and III remasters after reading rave reviews on here about the improved sonic quality over the previous remasters and the 'exciting' companion discs. More on that later, but I think its time someone called on the Emperor's New Clothes or rather the lack of it.

Whereas the remastering on II is good, I don't think it adds anything substantial or exciting to the previous remaster to justify buying the album all over again, but its the remastering of this album (III) that has left me a lot more disappointed to say the least.

Looks like Bonham's drums and Plant's vocals are the worst to suffer, especially up to and including Gallows Pole, after which things pick up a little sound qualitywise with Thats The Way sounding absolutely gorgeous.

I have listened to the whole remastered album back to back quite a few times now and compared the songs head to head with previous remasters and while these 'retunes' sound clean and polished, the oomph factor is definitely lacking.

If with the previous versions I felt that I had a front row seat in the house, with this remaster its like sitting at the farthest end of a really big stadium concert with the wind blowing in the opposite direction, taking the sound even farther away. Trying to increase the volume does not help either. Bonham's excellent drumming on Gallows Pole now sounds as if he is playing in the next room with the door closed and Plant's vocals sound as if he is with Bonham in that room.

As with the companion discs, I don't get the point of putting them out especially if you don't have any new material or B side or radically different version of a song to make it worthwhile. It almost feels like an excuse to re-release these albums for the nth time and provide a reason for people who already have 3 versions of this album, to buy it for a 4th time.

Except for Jennings Farm Blues and Key To The Highway on III and La La on II (which are all gorgeous by the way), there's nothing truly 'new' on the companion discs. If I had to listen to the backing track of a song, I could run it through any number of countless softwares available to make a karaoke track.

I almost feel that Jimmy Page in his egotistical enthusiasm to coax out every version possible from the original recordings, will end up tarnishing the Led Zep legacy for their new fans.

While these new versions (so far) offer interesting alternate takes on the mighty Zeppelin back catalogue, they cannot in my opinion, replace the original remasters or the analogue recordings and should be bought just as a curiosity, rather than an essential upgrade.
I for one, will only be investing in the re-remasters of the remaining albums, if there is any real or substantial bonus material released with those reissues.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a correction of history, 2 Jun 2014
Dr Preetinder Cheema (Harpenden, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For many years the third Led Zeppelin album was considered a curiosity (especially with those people who were asking where's my 'Whole Lotta Love' parts 2, 3 and 4) when compared to the first two albums. Led Zeppelin III is very much the template of what makes Led Zeppelin the greatest band in history. Sure, there is the piercing intro of 'Immigrant Song' but then there is gentleness of 'That's the Way' or the build in crescendo of 'Since I've Been Loving You'. Listening to the new box set, you hear the development of each of the tracks to the final cut, but more than that, it was just great to kick back, put on an old friend and remember the days when I first put on a second hand version of a scratched Led Zeppelin III from 'Reddington Rare Records' in Birmingham and thought; 'YES'! Prit Cheema

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it! Listen to it! Love it! Listen to it again! Love it even more!, 18 Dec 2007
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
For my money this is the best of Led Zeppelin's albums.I loved it when it came out and bought it on CD wondering if it would posses the same magic for me. As soon as it started playing I was hooked right back to when I was in my teens.This is an excellent album especially good for playing loud in the car!! I defy anyone to not like Tangerine, Immigration Song or Since I've Been Loving You. This album has it all: hard rock, blues and folk.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their top 3 albums, 10 Sep 2007
Christopher Bailey "Chris Bailey" (Wirral, England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
When I discovered Led Zeppelin III it was one of the great moments of musical discovery in my life, this may sound dramatic, but, every time I hear this album It takes me back to that, I had already heard I,II & IV, then a friend taped his LP for me, it sounded as if it fitted in perfecly between II & IV, I think IV is their best, but this has a unique atmosphere to it, Since I`ve Been Loving You is my favourite Led Zep track out of all their stuff, the acoustic stuff has a very "Summers Day" feel to it, especially Tangerine & Bron Y Aur Stomp, Gallows Pole is a sort of hybrid of acoustic & rock stuff. a brilliant track, Immigrant Song is the thunderous opener, I could go on, absolutely essential

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece... and has the rotating wheel cover!, 3 Aug 2005
Paracelsus1966 (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This was the first Zeppelin album I ever bought, and loved the rotating wheel in the cover, which is what this vinyl replica edition has as well. Hats of, not just to Harper, but also to whoever decided to reissue all the Zep albums in their original forms (e.g. this, the cut-out windows on Physical Graffiti, the brown paper bag on In Through the Out Door etc).
I'm not going to say anything about the music, as we all (should) know that this is a masterpiece, which still sounds as brilliant as it did the day it was recorded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)
Of the first three Led Zeppelin albums, just re-released in remastered 2 CD format, etc, this is the top of my list. My order of priority would be III, II, I. This is where they first showed their ability to draw together a range of musical styles and influences and remain true to themselves. Nobody I know ever complained about acoustic guitars or folk influences, it was another brilliant album. The opener, Immigrant Song is a brilliant hits the ground running. The bonus material here is well worth having and I recommend it to any fan. Whilst I thought that there was little that any but extreme audiophiles were going to here in the remastered original album i was pleasantly surprised how crisp and fresh it sounds, although I would not break my heart, or bank, if I just had the previous remastered version. A great album, given star treatment, if you want to treat yourself then go ahead.

If you are into vinyl then this would certainly be one to get in that format and here, again, is highlighted the annoying way that Amazon lumps together the reviews of all the formats. Although I wrote this review about the new 2 CD format edition it will appear in reviews for all editions of Led Zeppelin III, making it less easy to benefit from reviews. Sort it out Amazon!

Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition]
Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] by Led Zeppelin (Audio CD - 2014)