4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but where's 'Hey, hey, what can I do'?
I have little to add to the generally glowing reviews of this cd. It's a truly classic album and a great first example of Zeppelin's variety of approach, and yes, this remastering has improved significantly on the previous version.

Published 4 months ago by BlueBlueBlue

3.0 out of 5 stars Seriously what's going on here...
Seriously what's going on here with these 'remasters'. Its obviously 5 stars for the phenomenal music on show here, as is the case with most Zeppelin albums, except 'In Through The Outdoor' and 'Coda' (4 and 3 stars respectively), but I am still not sure why these albums had to be remastered again and that too with some questionable retuning on some songs.

I...
Published 3 months ago by K. Wadehra

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but where's 'Hey, hey, what can I do'?, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)

However, and the reason for the one star deduction, my one very, very big gripe with this reissue is that with an entire extra disc to play with, no room could be found for the non-album 'B' side to the 'Immigrant song' single, ie 'Hey, hey, what can I do'. This could easily have been included without deleting any of the outtakes, and is way ahead in terms of quality of more than a few of these extra tracks. Why on earth was this left off? I doubt very much indeed if I'm the only Led Zeppelin fan left puzzled and disappointed by this omission.

Five stars for the music of course, but this really is a missed opportunity to bring a good track in from the cold.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seriously what's going on here..., 25 July 2014
K. Wadehra "Bass head" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)

I bought the II and III remasters after reading rave reviews on here about the improved sonic quality over the previous remasters and the 'exciting' companion discs. More on that later, but I think its time someone called on the Emperor's New Clothes or rather the lack of it.

Whereas the remastering on II is good, I don't think it adds anything substantial or exciting to the previous remaster to justify buying the album all over again, but its the remastering of this album (III) that has left me a lot more disappointed to say the least.

Looks like Bonham's drums and Plant's vocals are the worst to suffer, especially up to and including Gallows Pole, after which things pick up a little sound qualitywise with Thats The Way sounding absolutely gorgeous.

I have listened to the whole remastered album back to back quite a few times now and compared the songs head to head with previous remasters and while these 'retunes' sound clean and polished, the oomph factor is definitely lacking.

If with the previous versions I felt that I had a front row seat in the house, with this remaster its like sitting at the farthest end of a really big stadium concert with the wind blowing in the opposite direction, taking the sound even farther away. Trying to increase the volume does not help either. Bonham's excellent drumming on Gallows Pole now sounds as if he is playing in the next room with the door closed and Plant's vocals sound as if he is with Bonham in that room.

As with the companion discs, I don't get the point of putting them out especially if you don't have any new material or B side or radically different version of a song to make it worthwhile. It almost feels like an excuse to re-release these albums for the nth time and provide a reason for people who already have 3 versions of this album, to buy it for a 4th time.

Except for Jennings Farm Blues and Key To The Highway on III and La La on II (which are all gorgeous by the way), there's nothing truly 'new' on the companion discs. If I had to listen to the backing track of a song, I could run it through any number of countless softwares available to make a karaoke track.

I almost feel that Jimmy Page in his egotistical enthusiasm to coax out every version possible from the original recordings, will end up tarnishing the Led Zep legacy for their new fans.

While these new versions (so far) offer interesting alternate takes on the mighty Zeppelin back catalogue, they cannot in my opinion, replace the original remasters or the analogue recordings and should be bought just as a curiosity, rather than an essential upgrade.
I for one, will only be investing in the re-remasters of the remaining albums, if there is any real or substantial bonus material released with those reissues.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a correction of history, 2 Jun 2014
Dr Preetinder Cheema (Harpenden, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For many years the third Led Zeppelin album was considered a curiosity (especially with those people who were asking where's my 'Whole Lotta Love' parts 2, 3 and 4) when compared to the first two albums. Led Zeppelin III is very much the template of what makes Led Zeppelin the greatest band in history. Sure, there is the piercing intro of 'Immigrant Song' but then there is gentleness of 'That's the Way' or the build in crescendo of 'Since I've Been Loving You'. Listening to the new box set, you hear the development of each of the tracks to the final cut, but more than that, it was just great to kick back, put on an old friend and remember the days when I first put on a second hand version of a scratched Led Zeppelin III from 'Reddington Rare Records' in Birmingham and thought; 'YES'! Prit Cheema

3.0 out of 5 stars We want 'Hey Hey What Can I Do'!, 7 July 2014
Kevin Fitzmaurice (London W10) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)
I completely agree with the comments about the ridiculous omission of the B-side of 'Immigrant Song'. What on earth are they up to? Please please don't let it be 1) they forgot or 2) they think there's more cash in it somewhere down the line. I'm not buying this great album for a third time without it. I've already paid for vinyl and the original CD release. We want 'Hey Hey What Can I Do'!

[update: August 2014 - We've just passed the 35th anniversary of their final UK performances at Knebworth. Anyway, I'm told that they are saving this song, along with a couple of other rarities, to include as extras on 'Coda'. I suppose that will help shift copies of that scrappy outtakes album when the time comes, instead of this little masterpiece. I'm sure I'm not alone in believing it belongs on this album, but Hey Ho, what can you do...]

5.0 out of 5 stars "...That's The Way..." - Led Zeppelin III by LED ZEPPELIN (2014 2CD DELUXE EDITION), 3 Jun 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)
I suspect like many fans - I bought all three of these 2CD DELUXE EDITIKNS on the day of release (Monday 2 June 2014 here in the UK). And after the initial disappointment of the "Led Zeppelin" debut version with its questionable sound on some tracks and its rubbish bootleg-sounding live bonus disc - I'm thrilled to say that "II" and "III" are entirely different beasts.

For me it's not the more applauded and revered "II" that tickles my spine - but the fabulous 'Acoustic' expansion of the British Super Group's songwriting chops on "III" that puts them head and shoulders above all the rest. This beauty has always made my eyes water and my quadruple bypass beat a little faster. Well - "III" now sounds fabulous - and the 'Companion Audio' CD actually warrants the word 'bonus' with some truly spine-tingling new additions. Here are the Tiny Flowers and Hangman Riding Many A Mile details...

UK released 2 June 2014 (3 June in the USA) - Atlantic/Swan Song 8122796449 breaks down as follows...

Disc 1 (43:11 minutes):
7. Tangerine
8. That's The way
9. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
10. Hats Off To (Roy) Harper
Tracks 1 to 10 are the vinyl album "Led Zeppelin III" - originally released 5 October 1970 in the USA on Atlantic SD-7291 and Atlantic 2401 002 in the UK

Disc 2 (41:33 minutes):
1. The Immigrant Song (Alternate Mix)
2. Friends (Track - No Vocal)
3. Celebration Day (Alternate Mix)
4. Since I've Been Loving You (Rough Mix Of First Recording)
5. Bathroom Sound (Track No Vocal)
6. Gallows Pole (Rough Mix)
7. That's The Way (Rough Mix With Dulcimer - Backwards Echo)
8. Jennings Farm Blues
9. Key To The Highway/Trouble In Mind
Tracks 1 to 9 are PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED 'Rough/Alternate Mixes' of Seven album tracks with two New Songs - the Instrumental "Jennings Farm Blues" (which turns out to be an early rockier version of "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp") and a stunning new double cover-version outtake called "Keys To The Highway/Trouble In Mind".

As luck would have it - the placing of the rear cover "III" photo in the centre inside flap with the gatefold of the original LP on the left and right flap - and the moveable 'wheel sleeve' of the original vinyl LP reproduced on the outside - gives quite a textural impact - it's beautiful in short. This has to be one of the loveliest repro's I've ever seen (though my Japanese 2012 SHM-CD repro isn't going anywhere soon). The Green and Orange coloured CDs themselves are placed in the centre and left flaps (with the inlay).

The 3-way gatefold card sleeve also features alternative colour artwork on the rear with a stuck-on track list (these new releases now reflect their Swan Song label as well as Atlantic Records for the first time). The 16-page booklet has gorgeous black and white/colour photos of the band live at the time (the three sat doing an Acoustic set), relaxing in Wales in the tiny knackered-looking 18th Century Cottage 'Bron-Yr-Aur' where much of the album was written/inspired by. But like "I" and "II" - there are only two pages at the rear that give you the basic track info - bugger all else. There's no liner notes - no history of the album and its importance (a huge fan favourite) - and nothing from Page or Plant. It's good - but it could have been great - and frankly why isn't it?

As Zep fans know the album was conceived in deepest Wales where the band was recovering after extensive world touring (recorded in Headley Grange). Perhaps all that head-banging abroad and rural lack of running water/electricity brought out the 'inner calm' in our heroes - because setting aside the Rock of "Immigrant Song" and the straight-up Blues of "Since I've Been Loving You" - the album primarily featured softer acoustic tracks (ballads even) - and is so much the better for it.

I moaned about the sound quality on some tracks on the debut - that problem doesn't appear here. From the opening "1, 2, 3..." count-in on "The Immigrant Song" you'll be hammering those Speaker Gods of yours with a possible neighbourhood disturbance restraining order. It's HUGE. The double-whammy "Friends/Celebration Day" leaps out of each channel with new details while the squeaking of Bonham's drum seat can now be clearly heard on the lead-in to the mighty "Since I've Been Loving You". Ending Side 1 - "Out On The Tiles" has wonderful presence - especially on the "All I need is you and all your love...ooh yeah" sung chorus.

Now the magic starts - "Gallows Pole" has always sent fans - and 44 years later - it just blows you away. The mandolin and banjo build up are followed with Bonzo's manic drums - shooting the whole Acoustic/Rock song up into the stratosphere - fantastic stuff and aurally spiffing. "Tangerine" is gorgeous and the sloppy count-in only adds atmosphere to the tenderness. But then I'm in tears. I recently reviewed Mott The Hoople's 1974 CBS album "The Hoople" with the gorgeous Ian Hunter ballad "Trudi's Song" on it. It got me to compiling a 70's FEST CD-R called "Songs To Make A Grown Man Cry" (see separate review and list). Top of that bawl-crawl is Led Zeppelin's gorgeous "That's The Way" - which in its new 2014 guise will make true fans blub like a big girl's blouse. This is what I've waited decades to hear (Cameron Crowe too). And then it all ends with a chipper "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" and the slightly throwaway "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper". Job done.

But there's better to come. Disc 2 is a stunning addition. You get Alternate Mixes of "The Immigrant Song" and "Celebration Day" with Rough Mixes of "Since I've Been Loving You" and "Gallows Pole" - all of which feature fascinating different guitar parts and the occasional vocal flourish. "Bathroom Sound" is an early run through of "Out On The Tiles" without vocals and "Jennings Farm Blues" turns out to be a first version of "Misty Mountain Hop" with Page feeling for the song (it's very cool). But then you're hit with a solar plexus - the fabulous Big Bill Broonzy/Big Joe Turner double cover of "Key To The Highway/Trouble In Mind". It's a two-man show - Page on Acoustic guitar in the left speaker with Plant on treated warbling vocals and heavy harmonica on the right. It's just stunning - with Robert Plant blowing some truly hair-raising Blues Harp - fans will flip for it. Downside - the fab non-album B-side "Hey Hey What Can I Do Now" to the American 45 of "Immigrant Song" is AWOL - when in remastered form - it would have been a rather tasty cherry on top.

So there you have it. Not just brilliant but a legend intact and expanding.

Were Led Zeppelin really as good as we remember them? And in 1970 - were they even the best band in the world?

You bet your hairy-assed airship-sized balls they were...

PS: see also reviews for the 2CD DELUXE EDITION versions of "I" and "II"

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)
Of the first three Led Zeppelin albums, just re-released in remastered 2 CD format, etc, this is the top of my list. My order of priority would be III, II, I. This is where they first showed their ability to draw together a range of musical styles and influences and remain true to themselves. Nobody I know ever complained about acoustic guitars or folk influences, it was another brilliant album. The opener, Immigrant Song is a brilliant hits the ground running. The bonus material here is well worth having and I recommend it to any fan. Whilst I thought that there was little that any but extreme audiophiles were going to here in the remastered original album i was pleasantly surprised how crisp and fresh it sounds, although I would not break my heart, or bank, if I just had the previous remastered version. A great album, given star treatment, if you want to treat yourself then go ahead.

If you are into vinyl then this would certainly be one to get in that format and here, again, is highlighted the annoying way that Amazon lumps together the reviews of all the formats. Although I wrote this review about the new 2 CD format edition it will appear in reviews for all editions of Led Zeppelin III, making it less easy to benefit from reviews. Sort it out Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album remastered as it SHOULD be done, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)
I'm not reviewing Led Zep III the album, so much as the Deluxe 2 CD Edition.
Led Zep III, with the wonderful Since I've Been Loving You, is a great album, which I've had and loved on vinyl for years.
Some time ago I bought the single CD digitally remastered version, and the sound was thin, with all the bass sucked out, and sounded nowhere near as good as the vinyl version.
This 2 CD version is in a different league. Superbly remastered (by a certain J Page) with a lovely open, detailed sound, bass is still present and NO COMPRESSION!!
The sound quality of this is SO good it may actually be better than the vinyl version (gasp!)
The other selling point I suppose is the second CD with the additional tracks, but for me its well worth the price just to get the superb sound quality, which apparently Jimmy's also done with the first two Zep albums (which are next on my shopping list

4.0 out of 5 stars Significant 2014 upgrade for Led Zeppelin III, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)
The original LZ3 LP occupies the first disc. In common with the remastered LZ1 and LZ2 CD's reissued at the same time, it represents a substantial improvement in sound. There is noticeably more detail and clout, and the overall timbre has never sounded more nuanced. The extras on disc 2 are, in my opinion, marginally better than those on LZ2 and flagrantly superior to the lo-fi quality radio broadcast on the LZ1 release. The remix of Immigrant Song is less cluttered and retains a boxer's punch. There are no fewer than 3 new titles, and - while revealing some familiar riffs - these give a window into Led Zeppelin's recording, rehearsing and songwriting processes. When the excitement generated by the new material has died down, this release will be judged again on the merit of the original album. It's a stonewall classic. It took enormous courage to break from the thunderous heaviness that dominated the first 2 albums. No fewer than 6 of the 10 cuts are acoustic ones. Many such offerings by rock bands are tokenistic ballads, but the ones here are steeped in American Blues and English folk. The dramatic strings from Holst's Mars are borrowed to stunning effect on Friends. And Gallows Pole incrementally intensifies toward a mesmerizing, joyful finale. That's The Way is so at odds with the sonic brutality sometimes evident on the first 2 albums that it's hard to believe it's the same musicians at work. Of the 'electric' songs, Immigrant Song is a 2 minute cataclysm, while Since I've Been Loving You may be the most stirring minor key Blues ever. Jimmy Page's guitar-playing is remarkable throughout: on the acoustic material he plays in standard, open C, C6, open F and open G tunings - so much for sticking a drippy acoustic ballad in as filler. But more than anything, I came away from revisiting this album staggered by the quality of Robert Plant's singing. These songs demand a range of moods, subtleties and a high level of musical intelligence regarding the various genres. He nails each song, one after the other. Subjectively, LZ3 is not my favourite Led Zeppelin record. But, objectively, this is a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars This re-issue of course has the fantastic 'Since I've been loving you' and 'Gallows Pole' as ..., 3 July 2014
S. Stewart (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] (Audio CD)
This has long been known as the least fave of the earliest Led Zep albums purely because they changed the format slightly with more emphasis on acoustic material which a lot of the fanbase weren't enamoured with but over time it has been re-assessed and rightly so been lauded. This re-issue of course has the fantastic 'Since I've been loving you' and 'Gallows Pole' as we all know but we are all waiting on the bonus material. Again some of the alternate versions are great and some (backing tracks) are not really worthy of inclusion especially as there are numerous tracks recorded at the time but not on the companion disc. Why? Who knows although the inclusion of 'Jennings Farm Blues' and 'Keys to the Highway' are a welcome boost. So even if you own an older version of this its still worth buying for the bonuses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best sounding version I have heard, 16 July 2014
Petter Holt "Petter" (Oslo) - See all my reviews
Best sounding version I have heard! Only question I have is: What have they done with the bass in this remaster? Especially on Gallows Pole there was a rumble. Have they added frequency under 30? That creates problems for most speakers, even mine. Apart from that little quibble this really is a great version!

Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition]
Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition] by Led Zeppelin (Audio CD - 2014)