4.7 out of 5 stars2,702
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 December 2014
The great thing about this film is the action and special effects which are second to none, the picture and sound is just pure quality plus the 3D has to be one of the best I have seen from a marvel film, the fight sequences make for a wonderful 3D experience and if you have a 5.1 dts surround sound system, then this film is a must, its on par with Saving Private Ryan. The film was a lot of fun with loads of tongue in cheek moments and I must admit I really enjoyed this film, and my personal best guardian was Groot.

***FEATURES BELOW***

Featurettes: Guide to the galaxy with james gunn
The intergalactic visual effects for Guardians of galaxy
Exclusive look at Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron
Deleted & extended scenes: Fake laugh, the kyln will have to do, No, I'm the stupid one, sisterly love, dancing guard
Audio commentary with director james Gunn
review image review image review image review image review image
on 15 October 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy...mini review...

It’s been called the boldest and riskiest move yet by Marvel Studios, with some eagerly anticipating theatrical failure...

But after sitting through 2hrs of awesomeness I can honestly and safely say that Guardians of the Galaxy is a treat for the senses with a brilliant foot-tapping, head-bopping soundtrack and great humour with lots of one-liners.

With a great cast and a wisecracking performance from Chris Pratt as Peter Quill/Star Lord who is clearly equal parts Han Solo and Mal Reynolds.
Among other characters in the film there's Rocket played by Bradley Cooper who is positively brilliant and (dare I say it) probably one of my favourite characters in the movie.

I have to agree with some critics who are calling Guardians of the Galaxy "possibly the best Marvel movie yet".

Personally, I thought the movie was terrific. It's funny, it's sweet, it's exciting, it feels fresh and familiar all at once. it wears its heart on its sleeve, places tongue firmly in cheek, and never once gives up trying to impress us. It's bold to compare this to Star Wars, but the comparison is there.

I won't spoil the plot or tell you what characters from the Marvel-U appear in the movie but what I will say is that it's not a superhero movie. In fact, this is a different type of movie from the Marvel studios, and that's a good thing!

Oh and by the way, there's a scene after the credits although it's not a must see.

Many reviews are saying this is "Star Wars for a new generation" and I'll be honest, I have to agree!
I enjoyed every minute of Guardians and I'm sure will too!

Here's looking forward to Guardians 2 in 2017.
77 comments|214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2014
I bought this on impulse and I had a fear that it was just going to be a silly kids film that would be a waste of money. How wrong could I be. This film was pure entertainment from beginning to end. The CGI is fantastic and all the characters are acted up to the mark. I actually think it is one of the best films I have seen all year. Needless to say I will be watching it again, and maybe again.
on 4 January 2015
If you are a lover of this genre of movie do yourself a favour and Buy It, entertaining from start to finish, good audio with a great 70's Soundtrack, wonderfully drawn characters, and some terrific 3D effects. Two hours of pure enjoyment.
on 25 August 2014
Sorry none of this complicated fangle dangled review stuff from me.

I just want to say I am 48 years old and the last time I was so blown away with a film as much as I was with Guardians was when I saw Star Wars many years ago.

Absolutely brillinat and obvioulsy must have been my sense of humour too as I was laughing out loud on a number of occasions. Ive no idea who the actors where but I thought they where all brilliant.

I cant wait for this to come out on Blu Ray as I feel I get a better picture from my own cinema setup than at the actual cinema that I think is too dark.
66 comments|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2015
Okay, I couldn't resist the Star Wars reference. And truthfully, there is a little Star Wars here. But what I love most about this film is that it reminded me what I love most about Marvel: that sense of a true Universe that comes along as part of the Marvel package. A rich and storied cosmos with history and depth and an ongoing continuity all of its own. A fantastic, larger than life realm where big personalities abound, and around any corner we might find people or things filled with electrifying energy; events pregnant with cosmic portent. A place where godlings walk among us, and every flame burns just that much brighter.

Yes, I love the Marvel Universe. And we are deep, deep inside it in this film.

The Star Wars thing... can be overstated. It's there, but the people who dwell too long upon it have not, I think, seen very much in the way of science fantasy. For example, one scene in this film reminded me of nothing so much as an old episode of Invader Zim. Specifically "The Fry Cook What Came from All That Space". And trust me: that's a good thing. As you might then guess, this is not a film that takes itself too seriously. That's another good thing. It is, quite simply, an enormous delight to watch. It's laugh out loud funny, but at the same time, a long long way from mere spoof or self-parody. It's more of a rollicking swashbuckler, but with spaceships and blaster pistols instead of tall ships and rapiers - and get down funkiness in place of rococo.

Through most of this film I really thought I was going to give it five stars. However, I found the ending just a little weak. For that and that alone, I'm knocking it down to four.

Nevertheless, if you're looking for a movie that's just plain fun, you'd be hard pressed to do better than this one.

Theo.
on 20 May 2015
What can I say, this is simply the best. I’m sure Tina Turner agrees. Guardians of the Galaxy shocked cinema audiences when it graced our screens last year. Everyone expected it to flop and who can blame them. If you explained the plot of the film to someone, it just sounds completely mental. However, Marvel really pulled out all the stops to make a highly entertaining, thrilling adventure that appeals to all the family.

The film follows Chris Pratt’s character Peter Quill/Starlord from his alien abduction as a young boy then jumping ahead to him as a grown man, being a wise-cracking bounty hunter. When he inadvertently steals an all-powerful orb coveted by Ronan, an evil villain looking to commit genocide and conquer the universe, he makes an alliance with an unlikely group of individuals to save the day: a genetically-enhanced racoon called Rocket, a tree-like humanoid of few words called Groot, a green-skinned female assassin called Gamora and a revenge-driven, blue-skinned, muscly Drax.

The main cast all give top notch performances: Chris Pratt completely owns his character and absolutely nails his one-liners – a superb lead. Bradly Cooper similarly is excellent bringing Rocket to life. You don’t even know it’s him voicing the character. Vin Diesel, all credit to him, somehow manages to convey an awful lot from just the same 3 words “I am Groot”. Gamora is wonderfully played by the gorgeous Zoe Saldana, showing the character’s inner torment with superb acting whilst being a badass. The former WWE wrestler Dave Bautista also, I’ll admit surprisingly, puts in a good performance, giving the audience many laughs with his dead pan delivery. I tip my hat to Lee Pace (Ronan), Michael Rooker (Yondu) and for you Doctor Who fans, Karen Gillan (Nebula), who also give it their all.

The film rattles along a great pace and by the end, you’re sad that it’s over. I cannot convey how enjoyable a film it is. It has everything you could possibly want: fantastic visuals, captivating performances, developed characters, laugh-out-loud moments, jaw-dropping action, scenes that tug on your heartstrings and ones that make you cheer plus a wonderfully chosen selection of 70s classic tunes that you can’t help but sing along to or at least tap your foot to. I took my partner and father-in-law to see it and though initially sceptical, they came out with big grins on their faces. They loved it and you will too.

Overall, for the reasons given, I have to say that this is probably my favourite Marvel film, even beating the incredible ‘Avengers Assemble’. The film never misses a beat and hits every nail on the head. It’s flawless! Definitely pick up a copy on blu ray, so you can enjoy the beautiful settings, graphics and colours in the best-quality picture. I can’t wait for the sequel in 2017!

Highly Recommended: 10/10!
VINE VOICEon 21 March 2015
When I first saw the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy last year, I wasn't really excited for it. Then the film itself was released to critical acclaim, my curiosity was piqued, and I decided to check it out after all. I'm really glad I did, as this is truly the most surprising, smash-hit film out of the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe!

Die-hard Marvel fan/experts will know that the Guardians of the Galaxy are a rogue bunch of misfits, going around deep space righting wrongs and protecting the stars. They're a fun bunch of characters, as well as being among the most obscure group of superheroes in Marvel Comics. And this adaptation certainly has now made household names out of the lot of them.

The story begins with human, space-adventure Peter Quill A.K.A. `Starlord' (Chris Pratt) who becomes the quarry of a bounty hunt after uncovering an artefact of tremendous power. Before long, he finds himself incarcerated and subsequently a fugitive with assassin Gamora (Zoe Saldana), warrior/convict Drax the Destroyer (former WWE-Star Dave Bautista), tree-humanoid Groot (Vin Diesel) and Rocket the Racoon (voiced by Bradley Cooper). Forced into a group for their own survival, this rag-tag bunch of rogues will realize that they're all set to become something more. The galaxy itself depends on it.

The reason for Guardians of the Galaxy's success is simple; it's brilliantly entertaining. Like Iron Man, Thor or The Avengers, this film doesn't take itself too seriously. There's some real sharp wit, hilarities a-plenty and all the heart & soul necessary to give the film its charm. What could easily have become something very forgettable instead turns out to be a hugely enjoyable romp, thanks to James Gunn's stellar directing, an impeccable cast all-round, and one of the greatest soundtracks to a film EVER!

Seriously! Blue Suede, The Raspberries, David Bowie and The Runaways are just a handful of the all-star groups chosen to provide their hits for this rollickingly good soundtrack! This coupled with Tyler Bates' original score makes the music overall an absolute hit! Surprises are littered all over this film, especially a cast that features acting legends like Glenn Close, wrestling stars like Dave Batista, bigtime stars like Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper and Karen Gillan (Amy Pond from Doctor Who)! It's all so random, yet completely amazing!

Like any top-notch film, Guardians of the Galaxy also features fantastic use of CGI, plenty of action and excitement, and some fine development to its characters and plot. There are also some key plot-elements and characters that tie-in with The Avengers, and set the stage for the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's all thoroughly exciting stuff, and fans will certainly appreciate it!

While Guardians of the Galaxy is a brilliant movie, it's certainly not the masterpiece that (say) The Avengers is. At 116 minutes, this film does outstay its welcome. Nevertheless, there's so much good material, that you can easily forgive and forget. You'll definitely be coming back for several viewings. The exclusive look at the upcoming Age of Ultron is an essential special feature, as are the various deleted & extended scenes; thus making this DVD all the more worthwhile.

Highly recommended!
on 26 January 2015
How do Marvel Studios keep on doing it? This is the tenth film in the marvel cinematic universe and we have had no reboots, remakes or ret cons and this franchise is still going strong! What’s more remarkable is that GotG is Marvels biggest gamble yet and, I think, it's a winner.

One could argue that Iron Man was a pretty big gamble back at the genesis of the MCU, being only a b-list character at the time, but at least I, the comic readers and most of the general public knew who Iron Man was. When Guardians of the Galaxy was announced even I, an avid Marvel fan, did not have a clue who they were and how they would fit into the MCU. For the most part they don't fit in though, they are a group of completely new characters in a setting that is completely alien (literally) to what we are used to seeing in the MCU. The great thing is though, it actually works! There is just enough of that marvel magic and continuity in this film to make it feel like it is connected to the MCU in some way. For someone who has, inexplicably, missed the previous nine films this is also a great standalone film and maybe a good place to jump into this epic story that is slowly unraveling.

Something has to be said for the writer/director James Gunn, whose previous directorial experience includes one of my favourite films, "Super". With Guardians, Gunn has managed to take the best aspects of Star Trek and Star Wars and mashed them together to create a perfect nerdvana. James Gunn has the ability to mix deep heartfelt horrible tragedy with comedy, the constant contrast of the two helps you stay devoted to the film while you get to know the characters and become invested in them.

The majority of the cast is PERFECT I really could not be happier! Ever since I heard that Chris Pratt was being cast as the lead in this film, I started watching the fantastic Parks and Recreation on amazon prime video and knew almost instantly that he would be fantastic as a lead, his performance in the Lego movie only further cemented that opinion and guess what? Despite very little experience on the big screen, Chris Pratt carries this film expertly. Vin Diesel as Groot is another standout performance, doing admirable voice work with a very limited vocabulary, but of course, due to his work on the fantastic “Iron Giant”, we all knew his booming gravely voice was up to the job. One casting I was unsure of, was Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon, I just couldn’t see his voice working with the character, but Cooper completely disappeared into the role, was fantastic and if it wasn't for the credits at the end I would not have known it was Bradley Cooper at all. If I had one little niggle with one of the performances, it would have to be Michael Rooker as Yondu, perfectly good actor but a deep south American accent just doesn't quite sit right with me, not from a blue alien guy anyway.

Just as expected, the stars of the show were Rocket Raccoon and Groot, but to give credit solely to Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper would be unfair as these characters were a great collaborative effort, they were actually motion captured, just not by the actors that voiced them but some stand-ins, so, whoever they were I want to give credit where credit is due because the mannerisms of these characters really sell them, especially with groot, whose limited dialogue leaves only actions and facial expressions to convey a lot of what is going on in that wooden head of his. That said though, the actors shouldn't get all the credit either as the CGI artists are the ones that really complete the picture of these characters as the strange miracles of nature (and intense scientific experimentation, in Rockets case) that they are.

The soundtrack is legendary, and is practically another character in this movie, making it light hearted when it needs to be and dramatic also, when the mood calls for it. Its awesome tunes from the 70's and 80's have a story of their own and are actually very important to the lead character, Starlord. When I was watching this I did find myself tapping my toes and bopping my head every time a classic tune came on. Even if you haven’t seen this film I am sure you have heard about the soundtrack it is almost as if the soundtrack of GotG has transcended the movie itself.

The one problem I had with GotG before watching it is something that I have never experienced with a marvel film before, I didn’t really know any of the characters, I can imagine that this is going to happen more and more in the future as the MCU expands, and that’s fine, I guess I just have to read more comics. But unlike Avengers we hadn't got to know the characters in their own individual movies, and as a result the character development and story in this film just felt ever so slightly crammed in and a little rushed. That’s not to say that Avengers didn’t suffer from that problem a little, but because we had never ever met any of these characters not even in a small cameo, Hawkeye style, I felt that the movie was essentially saying “right then here’s Starlord, Gamora, Drax, Groot and Rocket… Now on with the movie!” I just wished I knew the characters a bit more, but the argument against that point would be that the pacing of the movie would suffer, which is an extremely valid point. I would liken the experience of watching the Guardians movie is a little bit like watching Serenity with out watching the TV series Firefly, you will still have a good time, but you just won't know the characters as well as wish you could have and as a result you might not get so affected as much when “stuff” happens, but I digress, this is a review of Guardians of the Galaxy and not of Serenity! You have to be fair, even though Marvel and Disney are raking it in, they are not actually made out of money, although it seems like that a lot of the time, making films for each of the Guardians would be very expensive indeed, and frighteningly risky. Not to mention doing that would stagger the progress of MCU dramatically, probably making everybody wait an extra five years getting to know the Guardians while we could be watching the Avengers beat Thanos' ass.

This film is a great time to be had and even though it is a huge departure from the norm of the MCU, you have to admire Marvel Studios for taking a risk and not just pumping out carbon copy after carbon copy, like the majority of Hollywood does these days. Guardians has it all; awesome cast, director and concept and is, dare I say it!? Almost as good as The Avengers. Almost.
on 14 January 2015
Marvel continues to churn out one blockbuster after another but with Guardians they may have hit on something just different enough to inject some renewed enthusiasm.

In a genre that is in danger of becoming stale something needed to change. The Winter Soldier successfully broke the mould but more was needed and the wait to the next Avengers films was still a long way off. So it is with great relief that Guardians is a joyously fun space romp with no rammed in your face obvious ties with the Avengers world.

Peter Quill is abducted as a child by an alien spacecraft. When we next catch up with him he is dancing his way through a creature infested cave to some pretty snazzy pop tunes. This sets the tone perfectly for what is to follow. A funny, thoroughly entertaining action film with some great characters and superb special effects.

The unlikely gang are thrown together but quickly create an unbreakable bond. The standouts here are easily Rocket Racoon and Groot. Both characters are amazingly realised and bought to life perfectly. What could have easily been the disaster of the film turns out to be the crowning jewel.

The action is equally as entertaining with a prison breakout and aerial dog fight being particular standouts. The story is a little bland and is a blatant set up for Thanos who is likely to be giving the Avengers some hassle in the future but it is so much fun this is easily forgotten.

The only downside is the choice of main villain. Ronan is as dull as they come. He has little presence and is literally just there for the sake of having someone to fight against. He barely makes an impact and as such is the most forgettable component of the entire film. To be fair so far Villains have not been Marvel’s strong point but hopefully that will change soon.

All in all Guardians can proudly ay it is the most fun of the Marvel cannon. It may not be as emotionally charged as some of the others or for that matter as accomplished with the story but for just sheer entertainment and a good ride you can’t get much better.