Atlanta, 1974: a police killer is loose on the streets of Atlanta - and three female officers have their own battles to fight...

Published 8 months ago by Roman Clodia

Published 6 months ago by mo.cambridge

5.0 out of 5 stars "The hardest battles didn't take place on the streets; they happened inside the squad room", 26 Jun. 2014
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cop Town (Paperback)

This is a stand-alone novel from Slaughter set in the same geographical territory as her Sara Linton/Will Trent series but in a very different time. The flashback parts of Criminal showed us the battles fought by women in the 1960s to be taken seriously and this book makes that struggle central to the story.

It's now 1974 and this book is as much a social commentary as it is a gripping crime story. At its heart are Maggie who comes from a cop family, Kate who is the new girl, and Gail the raddled undercover officer. I liked the way this isn't an easy `female buddies' story: the tensions and divisions between these women add an air of authenticity to the story and make it far more interesting than it might have been in less skilful hands.

What is shocking is the institutionalised sexism, racism and homophobia that is socially acceptable: women routinely have their breasts and bodies fondled by their police colleagues as they walk through the workplace and know that there is no option but to put up and shut up. The quasi-apartheid which splits black and white officers crosses the gender divide so that the white female officers leave the locker room before the `coloured girls' take their place. That this is only 40 years ago is phenomenal, and Slaughter depicts it all with a cool and clinical eye which allows the facts of the story to speak for themselves.

So this is an engrossing crime story but what lifts it above the mass of crime out there is the intelligent depiction of a society on the brink of change. Slaughter has really matured as a writer - this is a fabulous read. Highly recommended.

(This review is from an ARC courtesy of the publisher)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the fainthearted!, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Hardcover)
It's man's man's man's world. A white man's world, that is. Atlanta, 1974. A cop killer is on the loose in a city that is rife with racism, sexism, anti-Semitism and homophobia. "Cop Town" follows rookie Kate Murphy in her first week on the job. She is partnered with Maggie Lawson, who followed her uncle and brother to the force and keeps trying to prove her worth to them. When the women are sidelined in the search for Atlanta's cop killer, they decide to pursue their own line of investigation...

Karin Slaughter did a marvellous job of portraying the atmosphere and zeitgeist of 1970s Atlanta. The in-your-face racism and sexism are abhorrent but at the same time a testament to the authenticity with which Slaughter writes.

The book contains very strong language. It was a little too much for my liking to be honest but I thought it added to the story and it actually fits the characters. It might not be everyone's cup of tea though so please be warned.

It's not only the language that keeps shocking. There are some rather violent scenes and a few unexpected twists, one of which had me startled while reading.

"Cop Town" is definitely not for the fainthearted! It's raw, brutal and angry, very angry. But it's also a page-turner and I literally couldn't put it down. If you like fast-paced, thrilling books, pick up "Cop Town" and you won’t be disappointed.

I should also mention the cover as images simply don’t do it any justice. The cover is a fabulous shiny silver, which I just love!

2.0 out of 5 stars I am a huge Karin Slaughter fan and was delighted there was a new book so eagerly downloaded it, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge Karin Slaughter fan and was delighted there was a new book so eagerly downloaded it. I am wondering who wrote it because it lacks any of the qualities of her previous books. I am sure it reflects the real experiences of being a white female cop in that period but I got that in the first two chapters and found the theme of prejudice and chauvinism very repetitive. I didn't engage with the characters and had to make myself finish the book, an absolute first with me and a Karin Slaughter novel. Very disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly Disappointing, 12 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Hardcover)
I am a Slaughter devotee. I buy her books the moment they are published, and the story always makes the cost of a hardback worth it. Her great skill is not only brilliant crime writing, but creating characters that you care about. But not here in this book. Whilst it is excellent in highlighting the obscenity of racism, sexism and homophobia in 70s Atlanta, it fails to create any kind of emotional connection to the characters. Please Ms Slaughter, return us to Will and Sara - I miss them and long to know what has happened in the lives of two of the best crime characters ever created. If you are new to Slaughter, please don't take this book as representative of her work; she is far more brilliant than this book demonstrates.

1.0 out of 5 stars I have read every Karin Slaughter book and enjoyed them immensely but this one took a bit of ..., 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Kindle Edition)
I really wish she hadn't bothered....Touching on homophobia, racism and sexism. in the Police Force, does not the novel make..I have read every Karin Slaughter book and enjoyed them immensely but this one took a bit of doing..I wanted to discard it but thought it would improve as I ploughed my way further in..It didn't!!
The characters had no substance..The story was patchy and dare I say it, boring..
Like many of her peers, Miss Slaughter sought a little bit of diversity..And like many of her peers, she failed miserably...
I do not wonder why the price dropped considerably in such a short time..Free would have been appropriate..
Stick to what you know Karin..Another bomb like this and you'll slide rapidly down a very slippery slope.........

1.0 out of 5 stars Painful to Read, 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Kindle Edition)
I am usually a big big fan of Karin Slaughter's books but this was not like her usual style. The book is incredibly slow to the point I had to force myself to read it and eventually gave up. Just dreadful. Usually when reading her books I cannot put them down and each chapter grips me willing me to read 'just one more', often into the early hours.

I wouldn't buy another book in this series, if there are to be more of them, but I do look forward to a return to Will Trent and Sara Linton.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre at best, 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Kindle Edition)
This was my first Karin Slaughter book and I have to say I really struggled with it. I had no idea what was going on at times for the first part of the book and really wanted to stop reading it. The only thing that kept me plodding on was the brilliant Kate Murphy and Maggie Lawson; I really liked them both,their relationship and eventual respect for each other.

I detested Maggie's uncle, Terry, and was gritting my teeth at how violent he was. The rest of the cops are bigots, racists and homophobes and I forgot how far we have come since the 1970's where women were expected to stay and home and not 'do the men's jobs'.

I was, for the most part, bored with the story and just wanted to limp to the finishing line to get it over and done with.

As Karin Slaughter is my friend's favourite author and I realise this is a stand alone thriller, I will start reading the other books she has written at some point, and not judge her on this alone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Kindle Edition)
I have read her books since the very first one and look forward to her latest release. This was not up to her usual standard I kept reading in the hope it would get better it didn't. Found the book boring and was not drawn to the characters. If this is your first of her books do not be put of and read her other books. I hope her next release returns to my favourite fictional characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars ENGROSSING, SUSPENSEFUL AND ENJOYABLE!, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Cop Town (Hardcover)
Cop Town by Karin Slaughter, one of the best crime novelists in America, is a standalone police procedural set in 1974, which takes the reader into the world of the Atlanta Police Department during one of its worst periods when it was ravaged by cultural and gender dissension. It was a time when women were beginning to assert themselves and make their voices heard beyond the four walls of their homes.

The story focuses on two young female cops: Kate Murphy and Maggie Lawson. Kate is a young Jewish widow from a wealthy family. After her husband was killed in Vietnam, she joined the police force. Maggie comes from a family of cops. Both her brother Jimmy and uncle Terry served as cops but instead of welcoming her into their ranks, she is being scorned and taunted.

It is not an easy thing to be a female police officer. Kate and Maggie face all sorts of obstacles and challenges. Though they come from different family background, they have one thing in common - they are both tough. When Kate joined the force, she is assigned to partner with Maggie, whose brother Jimmy's partner was killed a few days earlier by a serial killer who targeted cops, taking the toll to five within the last few months. All the five police officers have been killed with bullet on their heads. The whole police force is jittery, and no one seems to be having any clue about the killer whom the police dubbed "The Shooter." But the killer calls himself "Foxy."

It is up to Kate and Maggie to get to the bottom of the mystery. And sometimes, it is not what it seems. There are too many loose ends. And things begin to heat up when Kate is stalked by the killer. Cop Town by Karin Slaughter is not just another ordinary mystery crime thriller. It is a deeply engrossing story, full of suspense and mystery that readers will remember for long even after the last page is turned.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting read...., 17 July 2014
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cop Town (Kindle Edition)
I was surprised to realise that this was a stand-alone novel by Karin Slaughter. I was also quite excited at the synopsis as she has gone for the same geographical setting but in the 1970’s. It features Maggie Lawson and Kate Murphy as our two main characters. It took me a little longer than her usual books to settle in, but I wasn’t surprised as this wasn’t part of a series that I had become familiar with over time. As police officers in the Atlanta are in the seventies things are certainly not easy on them. Karin Slaughter has made the book authentic and believable from the outset. I certainly realised very quickly that working in this line of work back then, was tantamount to being a wanted criminal.

Out of the two characters Kate is introduced as the new girl to the police force. With Maggie having experience as well as having her brother and Uncle on the force, she is naturally the one Kate looks to for advice. Maggie seemed initially like the force to be reckoned with but Kate developed as a character and by the end of the book I found myself hoping that Karin may well continue this theme on featuring both these women.

The main storyline features the Atlanta police force launching a massive manhunt for a killer known simply as The Shooter. There are some absolutely awful characters featuring in this story but I guess for that era they were pretty much the norm! What this latest Slaughter novel does is highlight the serious issues that were around back then such as racism, sexism and homophobia. That aside the story is weaved with intellect and keeps the reader guessing until the later part of the book.

Although I wouldn’t say this was my favourite KS book, it kept me intrigued with its setting, characters, story and pace. As ever she has shown how versatile an author she is and has given her readers another set of characters that they will no doubt want to see more of (I can always hope). A great read which I think many fans will be pleasantly surprised by.