on 7 May 2014
I almost stopped reading this book. It should have had me sitting on the edge of my chair, instead I was yawning and fed up. Why this author thought that we needed to hear over and over again every single thought pattern that entered their heads, not once and not even twice I will never know. Forced myself to read the book to the end as I felt surely it would improve and it did, but not enough for me.
The basic storyline was very good but to me this wasn't the finished novel, this to me is a draft copy. I'm sure if the author is given some honest feedback from people, she can then go back and take out a lot of the repeating thoughts in the beginning quarter of this book and then add more description to the rest. For example everything involving his dad's illness.. improve it by showing (not telling) us more or completely take him out of the book. I found the second half of the book to be a bit rushed, quite a few scenes could have given us more details and could certainly do with a few more scenes being added.
At the moment I would not recommend this book to others, or even the next book (which I haven't read) as I would need to see that some of the advice that myself and others may give could be taken on board. After the terrible things that the hero of her next book does in this book.. very confused as to why she would choose him for her next books hero as I wouldn't want to waste my time reading about someone like him... very odd
on 8 May 2014
The repetitions in the book were driving me crazy. Only the story kept me reading till the end.
Also the author needs to do more research in historical details: her use of the term 'demi-monde' for instance was completely inappropriate. I do not believe the author realised this refers to established mistresses and courtisans. Made me smile whenever I saw it in the book!
on 7 April 2014
This historical novel was brilliant. It was interesting from the first page to the last, and I enjoyed every minute reading it. This is definitely 'will read again' book. The storyline was very good with twists and turns that kept you wondering, and the characters were wonderful.
on 9 May 2014
This is a poorly written book. The author does not understand many of the words she uses and therefore uses them in the wrong context frequently. She also thinks the demi-monde and the Ton are the same thing! The plot has too many gaping holes to be credible. The hero is without a realistic moral compass and the heroine is only consistent in her lack of consistancy! Spelling is also erratic but that is a minor complaint considering the other flaws in this work which is badly in need of ruthless editing and significant revision. Even if this book was free it would not be worth your time to read it.
on 14 December 2012
In her debut novel Katherine Bone drops you right into the action aboard a merchant ship bound for Spain that is being attacked by pirates, setting the pace for the rest of the book, which is filled with adventure, mystery, passion and romance. Set during the Napoleonic wars of the early nineteenth century, this book uses some of the amazing seafaring characters of this classic British historical era - pirates, merchants, naval officers and Nelson's own double agents. But not all of the action takes place on the high seas of the English Channel, because the main characters return to London - to the grimy, violent patrons of the docks and its local public houses and to the aristocratic finesse and extravagance of the London Ton, dancing in balls and driving in the park.

The pace of this book is fast pretty much throughout; it is a page turner that keeps you asking what is going to happen next, will they work it out, will they survive, will they kiss...? The mystery of who killed Percival's sister and the double agents in the book mean that there are many twists and turns that keep you guessing. Added to that an apparent love triangle between a lady, a pirate and a nobleman and you can't put the book down. Is she going to work out their connection, or is he going to tell her?

Yet how was it her body ignited beneath her enemy's caress when Burton's touch filled her with horrible misgivings? Surely the opposite should be true. Burton was a member of the ton, the pirate wasn't. Was she doomed to end up on the streets, cast out of society? She couldn't allow it to happen. She needed a plan.

Katherine Bones paints a world rich in intrigue. Told from a range of perspectives, the book enables the reader to really feel for the main characters. You cannot help but cheer on the fiery lead female character, Constance, who wants to marry for love, not duty or money, and is prepared to risk her own life to do so. Who would want to marry the ghastly Lord Burton, who believes women are there to be used and discarded? You can't help but fall in love with the two alter egos of Percival Avery either - pirate and gentleman. You hope that the frightful Lord Burton and the horrendous pirates get their comeuppance, and you are left intrigued by Henry Gruffald - ideal because he is the lead of Katherine's next book, which I very much look forward to reading.
on 14 May 2014
This was a charming tale set to make your imagination run away with you. I found myself living alongside the characters in this book and finding myself caught up in the action
on 27 April 2014
I quite liked this book,it was quite well written & it kept me reading If you like period drama & pirate stories then you'll love it :¬)
on 12 May 2014
Really enjoyed this. Similar to Kathleen E Wildiwiss' books. Romance, drama, good plot. Toe-curlingly good. Will read her books again.
on 10 June 2014
Very enjoyable read. Easy, interesting andeexciting book, keeps you on the edge until the last page. A nice and quick holiday book
on 6 June 2014
Excellent read and book was free looking forward to next book never read any of authors books before could wait to get to end