This was so good I bought another copy for a friend who used to play and he loves it too.
Published 9 days ago by Ms. J. A. Russell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as most Bluffer's Guides
This series of guides tell me everything I want to know about various esoteric (to me, a Texan) subjects.
Their wit shines forth in asides such as
"There is a place on the pitch for everyone, including the socially inept who, as it happens,
make absolutely marvellous referees."

As the title hints, these books teach you just enough to...
Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as most Bluffer's Guides, 23 May 2014
Their wit shines forth in asides such as
make absolutely marvellous referees."

As the title hints, these books teach you just enough to allow you to allow your audience to assume they
should applaud your subject knowledge.
"For now, all you need to know is that [rugby league] is another form of the game ... This book
focuses mainly on ... rugby union. It is possible to enjoy both; indeed, it is possible to play
both (although people tend not to). It is not possible to talk about both as if they were effectively
the same game. ... there are fundamental differences. Never be ashamed to admit to not knowing
what these are. Simply say if asked (about one or the other): ‘Not my code, old boy’."

What surprised me about this Rugby volume was the emphasis on participation. Rather than being in the stands
watching the game, it supposed that I was on the pitch playing one of the fifteen positions.
"You can also never be entirely certain which set of rules the referee is working to on any given
day, and which ones he or she is most keen to enforce. Carry on playing as best suits your own
particular style of play and wait to see if the referee tries to stop you. ... You should then smile,
apologise and try not to do the same thing again quite so obviously for the rest of the game."

I reluctantly conclude that this volume is not up to the normal standards of the Bluffer's series. Please
reread "Football" and revise "Rugby" accordingly.

[I received a free ebook copy to review from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program April 2014 batch.]

5.0 out of 5 stars This was so good I bought another copy for a friend who used ..., 19 Nov 2014
Ms. J. A. Russell "Jan R" (Birmingham. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bluffer's Guide to Rugby (Bluffer's Guides) (Kindle Edition)
It walks you through some of the complexities of the game, explains terminology, and has a punt at the rule book (which the good Lord himself probably needs help with). It manages to do all this with humour and without making a rugby newbie like me feel stupid and without talking down to my friend who knows his way round the game. I would heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Me and my mother gets addicted to Rugby and this book helped us understand the game more..., 5 Jun 2014
We are now more informative in regards to the rules and strategies of the game... it even made me want to play it myself!

4.0 out of 5 stars mr5512, 24 Aug 2014
Everything the aspiring bar proper-up, as opposed to front row prop, should know in order to minimise his out of pocket expenses in a rugby clubhouse. A most enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rugby, 22 Jun 2014
Jennifer Shelton (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This was a great book to read if you wanted to play the game of Rugby. Also, a good book if you just want to pretend you know how to play Rugby while at the local pub. It was well written and I enjoyed reading it. It was funny in parts, and I feel like I could go out on the pitch and pretend to know what I am doing. It did help when I went to a Rugby game, but I did wish that it had a bit more in it, so that I could fully understand the game. Drawings would have been great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Nov 2014
A great laugh!

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll know enough to be dangerous, 6 May 2014
As an American, I know very little of rugby but I love to watch it when I can. Having said that, this book is just enough that I can understand more of the game and lingo which makes this sport all the more exciting. Its a great book to learn the basics and be caught up in "[the] beastly game played by gentlemen."

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 Oct 2014