5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Sense of the Insensible Social Media, 20 July 2014
This review is from: How to Build Your Online Author Platform: 100 Practical Tips (Kindle Edition)
This booklet is a well-constructed walk through the creation of an author platform, which Tony Riches argues is vital if you want to be a successful writer. As a social media virgin (despite have read up on the subject and talked to numerous addicts) what Tony says makes great sense. My only slight quibble is that he assumes his audience is other full-time professional authors, rather than the lesser breed like myself as 'hobby authors' who earn a living doing something else and see writing as a passtime / would love to earn at least some money from it as well. For instance over a 7 day week I normally get between 1-2 hours 3 or 4 evenings per week and possibly 2 mornings at weekends. So just how much time there is for the various FaceTweetsGooglies is a slightly different question - but Tony is persuasive and what he says makes sense.

I think I paid about £2 for this which is probably the best value outside of a pint of Stella Artois on a Friday evening in summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Authors and self-promotion, 5 May 2014
My mind boggles. I've just read Tony Riches' '100 Practical Tips" to build my online author platform and I'm truly dazed by all the useful information it contains.. But first, please let me explain something.: I have been a professional Belgian (Flemish) novelist for 22 years and I thought after all that time I knew the ropes, but was I mistaken! Over here, in Belgium and The Netherlands, where I publish, the art of "self-promotion" is nearly non-existent. And e-books count only for a very small percentage of the market. So, it seems we're old-fashioned. But I can't afford any longer to be old-fashioned now that one of my novels is recently published in the United States. I needed a crash-course in how to reach an audience for my novel in that vast market. And boy, did I get one. Riches is very clear and precise in the way he presents his material. You can follow him step-by-step and the recommendations, advice and tips are written in a crystal-clear style. For me, this book will be my promotion Bible for the next months. I'm almost 61, I published more than 30 books and Riches made me realize: I still got a lot to learn. Exciting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, practical, actionable - read it!, 17 Nov. 2014
MC (Bradford, W.Yorks) - See all my reviews
A very enjoyable read!

Not 'just' another top help tips guide - I found every tip in this useful, original and practical. The book categorises its advice well into manageable sections relating to various different platforms, and most importantly, tips are small chunks of advice that are actionable individually or en masse to give direct benefit to an author's online platform.

I would highly recommend reading this, whatever stage of career/platform building you are at as an author (and the skills within could also be applied to other independently operating individuals). It acts as a useful refresher, gives new tips for further inspiration, or could be a great place to start in what is a very daunting yet vital area for authors to develop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introductory guide to building an author platform..., 8 Oct. 2014
This is a really helpful introductory guide and is well structured and clearly written. The title promises to provide the reader with 100 practical tips on how to build an online author platform and that is exactly what this book does.

For writers starting out following those tips will definitely set them on the road to building that platform. Writers who already have a platform are likely to benefit from some of the tips offered by the author which include details of his own experiences in building his author platform over the past 5 years or so and what has worked for him. There are useful links throughout the book.

At 59 pages it’s an easy read too. Definitely worth purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent if somewhat daunting list of advice of how to sell, 28 Mar. 2014
Presentation

Cover 4/5 Tells you exactly what is in the tin!

Contents

I have already realised writing and publishing a book is the easy part of an author's life as it is really all under one's own control although it may take several years to progress. What Tony Riches does in this book is to set out what an independent author and even an author who has a publisher needs to do in the new world of media to connect with media savvy readers.

Like the old song about having a good view but for the houses in the way I saw the situation when I started writing in 2010 of my readers being on the other side of the mountain in the way represented by the literary and publishing world.

My self publisher YPS says

1 Nobody buys your book if they did not know it exists!

2 The job of promotion is to make people aware of your book. You cannot make them buy it, but they will not buy it if they are not aware of it!

3 Promotion and marketing does not guarantee sales success!

4 Doing nothing guarantees failure!

Marketing, promotion and publicity is the hardest part of successfully self-publishing a book, requiring creative thinking and sheer hard work. With so many new books on the market each month, even established publishers with large budgets and teams of publicists, face the same difficulties getting their authors noticed by both the book trade and the public. They often spend more on marketing than they do on production.

All good sense but I then think how? Well read this book for a start.

The other little issue is time and balancing time taken to promote and time to write. I have selected about ten of the tips to progress ... there are more than enough left to go round!

Thanks Tony

Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab!