4.0 out of 5 stars Bose has added a bit of colour to its range
Published 10 months ago by Susman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a few niggles
These are the first headphones I've used in a while that aren't in-ear, so they took a bit of adjusting too.

So the good points:
1) They look great. I have had lots of compliments on them which is rare.
2) Sound quality pretty good
3) Surprisingly light yet sturdy

Now the not so good points:

1) The cable is obscenely long -...
Published 12 months ago by R. A. Mansfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Bose has added a bit of colour to its range, 16 Aug. 2014
Susman "Susman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Bose has added a bit of colour to its range with the SoundTrue OE headphones. Available in four modern designs, they are set to rival the latest Beats by Dre headphones on the fashion front. The Bose SoundTrue range includes two rather similar models with slightly dissimilar designs. These are the on-ear variant, whereas the SoundTrue AEs are over-ear. The sound quality of the former seems better, and they are also smaller and lighter too.

You get the feature of three-button in-line remote and microphone, so you can make hands-free phone calls and change the volume of your music; however, they are only fully compatible with Apple devices, and to lesser degree certain android phones, which is rather disappointing.

They sound great across all types of music genres, from jazz to pop, but particularly excel when listening to classical tracks. The spoken-word comes over as rather crisp and clear, so these headphones are excellent for listening to audio books and similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones, 20 April 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:52 Mins

These are excellent headphones. I have used Bose QC1 and then QC2 headphones for more years than I can remember now and have loved them. However, there is a lot of competition now from other brands in this range, and I wondered whether Bose might be relying on their reputation because these are quite expensive for compact on-ear 'phones. I was wrong - these are worth every penny. They are neat, light, compact and comfortable, and most importantly of all, have excellent sound.

The sound is the most important thing, so to begin with that: it is excellent. I am genuinely surprised that such small, light on-ear 'phones can produce such a full, rounded sound. It is excellently balanced with very bright treble, rich middles and a very solid bass, which really resonates when necessary. What I found striking was the sheer precision and clarity of what I was hearing, which was exceptional. I have a Test Playlist for audio equipment which starts with Tudor choral music, ends with London Grammar and covers most things in between. Everything sounds excellent; the bass response gives a theorbo and viola da gamba a real, resonant depth, string quartets are perfectly balanced, I'd say, rock sounds great and that sub-bass resonance in the second half of London Grammar's Hey Now really rolls around your head. I find them a joy to listen to.

I have worn these for several hours at a stretch and they're extremely comfortable. They may not grip hard enough for running, say, but they're fine for everyday use. They are very nicely packaged with an attractive storage pouch, they look stylish and the cord gives no friction noise whatever. It has a control switch and microphone for use with your phone but works perfectly well with an ordinary jack output from an mp3 player, computer etc.

The only tiny gripe I have is that the connecting cable is far too long for me. I'm 6 foot tall and with the headphones on the cable dangles on the floor, which means there's an awful lot of it when it's in normal use. However, that's a trivial complaint. These are top-quality headphones and I recommend them very warmly indeed.

(These are on-ear phones so they don't keep the world's noise out as much as over-ear ones, of course. If you prefer over-ear headphones, I find that Brainwavz HM9s deliver sound at least as good as, and possibly better than these for about half the price. They're much chunkier than these, but they are really, really good. Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones .)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuringly Expensive? I hope so !, 22 Jun. 2015
I've long been a fan of headphones for listening to audio, wherever practical, and in general, the larger the better. I was initially looking for some of the older version Bose Quiet Comfort headphones, but struggled to find any 'new, old stock' of these. Not wanting to spend £250 on the current ones (and I preferred the looks of the older versions), I made a logical compromise. The Noise cancelling would have only been of benefit in a few occasions that I would encounter, so these around the ear headphones will be a good choice.

In use, they are very light on the head, no uncomfortable pressure anywhere. The sound is not as bass heavy as some headphones I have used in the past, and this gives more clarity to many types of music and DVD soundtracks (I will be using them extensively for film watching on a PC/ Laptop). The cable is quite thin, which also means it's light, and doesn't 'drag' across you body, when moving your head. The cable is also removable from the left earcup for storage, and in case of mishap, it can be replaced.

The inline control works fine on my iPod Nano, but when used on my Blackberry, only the volume buttons have any effect.

The ear cushions seem a slightly better quality of fake leather than many I have used previously, but I assume that these will one day rot and crumble (my main reason for replacing headphones, over the years). Spare ear cushion sets are available from Bose retailers.

I would recommend these to others, based on both comfort and sound. The attention to detail in design and build is also reassuring, there is no creaking of plastic when handling them.

4.0 out of 5 stars True review of the SoundTrue, 19 April 2014
O E J - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Short Attention Span summary : light, comfortable, high quality sound. On-ear design means mediocre noise isolation.

The Bose Soundtrue On-Ear Headphones come in a small and very light box, a sign of one the best plus-points for this model : comfort. They don't strike me as being long-term-durable but only time will tell; in fairness it must be impossible to create a very light pair of headphones that can also stand up to the rigours of accidents and general everyday use but like most people, I guess, I would choose lightness and comfort as a greater priority.

I'm fortunate enough to have two other pairs of headphones with which the Bose SoundTrue can be usefully compared - the similarly priced Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, and the Klipsch Image One (Mark 1). Accordingly I have spent some time listening to a variety of music and doing A/B/C comparisons. I should add that the Klipsch Image One (Mark 1) used to carry a similar price tag to the Bose and Sennheiser but since the introduction of the Mark 2, the price has plummeted - but they more than stand their ground against the other two. In short, these are three similar quality headphones that are hard to tell apart.

But there is a pecking order. It's a fine line, but it's there.

In the end, it's the company that specialises in headphones - Sennheiser - that takes the honours here, but the Bose SoundTrue is a very close second, and it's better in sound isolation and comfort.

I started things off with Imelda May's Pulling the Rug from her album Mayhem. First impressions with the Bose 'phones was a very slightly back-from-front soundstage, as if the singer's voice was almost playing second fiddle to the many musical intruments being played. The voice wasn't right up there at the front as much as I wanted it to be. Switching to the title track Mayhem, this impression was retained, if slightly less so. A killer impression - always a big give-away - was my desire to switch to one of the other two 'phones, rather than to keep listening. With the Klipsch Image Ones, the overall vocal/music balance immediately felt better sorted, making Imelda May's voice the main focal point as it should be. The bass was a little punchier, but only slightly. One thought that wouldn't go away was that the Klipsch currently (April 2014) cost about £100 less, and I can imagine a lot of people preferring their sound.

Next, the Sennheiser Momentums, and although they're not great in the external sound isolation department, the first impression - still listening to Imelda May - was that 'this sounds right'. Whereas the Klipsch could be accused of being slightly over-blown, this is a criticism that won't be made of the Sennheisers. Sound stage, presence, balance - it's all there, in ways the Bose can't quite match.

Changing to Goodnight Moon by Shivaree (from the album "I Oughtta Give You a Shot in the Head") I started off with the Sennheisers - already earmarked as my favourite of this trio - and I noticed a slight desire for more bottom-end oomph. Very slight, though. Everything else was there still, a nice ethereal audio atmosphere with superb spatial dimension. Replaying the same track in full using the Bose SoundTrue, immediately it felt as if something was missing - that sense of immediacy, that involvement with the singer. Still very good, but not THAT good. It's tempting to say that it felt slightly ordinary, but these phones are better than that; it's simply a case of being compared with a better product. Changing to the Klipsch Image Ones, Goodnight Moon sounded fuller, heavier (in a good way) and I found myself nodding my head to the track - something I wasn't doing with the Bose. Again, I kept thinking what fantastic value the Image Ones are.

Neil Diamond next - Pretty Amazing Grace, from his album "Home Before Dark". Kicked off with the Klipsch, and soon found myself thinking that the other two will have to do something special to beat this. The harmonies were all there, the breadth of frequency fullsome and seemingly uncoloured. This was an excellent match-up. I changed mid-track to the Bose SoundTrue - very cultured, very classy, but lacking something almost indefinable. Hard to put a finger on it, but it just wasn't quite as special. I was beginning to wonder if their strong point - light weight and comfort - was also an Achilles heel; getting that sonic fulsomeness is just that much harder to attain with lighter materials. I'm talking fine margins, mind you. Then I continued the Amazing Grace track with the Momentums, and by now I was expecting the best experience of the three. It didn't turn out that way though; I found myself 'remembering' how this song felt when using the Klipsch Image Ones, even though I reckon that in terms of colouration, the Momentums are better. For tonal accuracy, the Sennheiser takes first place, but sometimes inaccuracies can be preferable, oddly enough.

Finally I tried this trio with "Frank", the first album by the late, great Amy Winehouse, and the first phones used were the Sennheisers. The final track Amy Amy Amy offers the chance to find out how these phones deliver in the low-end department, and on brass. The impression was surprisingly mediocre, and underlined my earlier thoughts that the Momentums aren't really that hot in the bass department, notwithstanding their superior accuracy. Changing to the Klipsch confirmed it - for weight and power, it's the Image Ones for me. And so to the Bose SoundTrue; by now I was appreciating their comfort and there was no question that these were the ones I would choose for an extended listening period, something I have never enjoyed with the Klipsch. The Bose handled the Amy Winehouse track very well, and if anything might be the preference. It's hard to draw any conclusions from this, but overall I have to say that the Bose Soundtrue are the most comfortable and convenient, the Sennheiser the most accurate, and the Klipsch the most fun.

Other albums tried included Flamingo by Brandon Flowers, 21 by Adele, The Last Ship by Sting and a single called Titanium by David Guetta featuring Sia.

If I had to choose one pair only, I would go for the Sennheiser Momentum. It's more versatile than the Bose SoundTrue, but it's not as good in terms of outside noise isolation. If comfort and convenience are priorities, the Bose takes the top place on this podium. Once again though, if you're in the market for a pair of headphones with a budget up to £150, you must, must consider the Klipsch Image Ones - even the obsolete model - because they are unbeatable value for money.

Other headphones used : Skullcandy Navigator On-Ear Headphones with Mic - Black - good but not in the same league as the Bose SoundTrue. Good value at one-third of the price however

Devices used : Kindle Fire / Apple iPad / Apple iPod Nano / Sony Vaio laptop

Klipsch Image One On-Ear Headphones with 3-Button Mic for iPhone/iPod - Black / Silver / Leather
Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable quality, 15 May 2014
Slurms McKenzie (The middle of England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If I`d been asked a year ago if expensive audio equipment was worth the outlay, I`d have definitively said no. However, having had Sennheiser earphones for my ipod, and now these - I can categorically say that you`re closer than ever to hearing music as it should be heard. I didn`t expect the difference to be so stark, especially when compared to those earphones provided by Apple. These are very comfy too, and work as noise-cancelling headphones - enhancing the purity of the listening experience. The left side cord has the controls - volume, pause, go back a song/ skip a song - which is convenient and particularly useful for me as I had a defunct ipod, one without any controls on it - now I can use it again. I`ve been so impressed, I have since wildly exceeded my budget and bought a Bose stereo too. There`s no doubt that you get what you pay for, even if it is a bit scary to the casual listener.

4.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal sounding headphones that are extraordinarily light and comfortable, with only a few minor issues with the extras., 25 Nov. 2014
A very good pair of headphones with just a few very minor issues with the case and wire. I won't comment on the sound quality much apart from saying it is excellent. Bose has a reputation for high end sound and it has proven once again it can deliver phenomenal sound with excellent design. They are very light and "extremely" comfortable to wear, even with glasses. However there are a few issues that keep me from giving this product a five star rating. First issue would be the case. While the case itself is very nice and has a good premium feel to it, I can't help but feeling that putting the headphones in feels awkward. You have to adjust them and shuffle it a fair bit around to fit it properly, but again not a big issue. Secondly, I feel as though the the connecting cable is just a bit too delicate. I am used to fairly thick and robust cables for my headphones, so it might just be my personal qualm with it, but it is on the thinner side and I always feel as though any excessive manhandling will break it. (don't plan to test it out!) I would have preferred a more durable cable. The cable is also quite long, easily dragging across my feed (5'10" here). While not a big issue for me, it might be a dealbreaker for others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones, 18 Sept. 2014
Mark Barlow (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
These headphones are the best headphones I have ever used. They are light and comfy, far more on both counts than any other headphones I've had and I've had a few different kinds from different manufacturers. You can wear them for hours and it barely feels like you are wearing anything at all.
I don't know a great deal about sound. If you asked me about treble and mid and high lows I would have no idea what you were talking about to my ears these sound great. I don't think it will be anything that will necessarily blow you away but it produces a natural and even sound which is really the way that the music is meant to be heart rather than the the manufactured sound of other headphones, like the bass-heavy Beats by Dr Dre which I have had and never liked the sound of.
Overall these headphones are really good and you'll be unlikely to be disappointed.

My pair are the plain black around-ear model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them!, 14 April 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bose ® SoundTrue On-Ear Headphones - Purple/Mint (Electronics)
I have borrowed a friends pair of these and do not want to give them back!

They are comfortable to wear, and in terms of aesthetics look pretty cool. I like the fact that you can buy them in different colour combinations. The wire only comes off one ear, so it is not as easy as some headphones to get into one horrible tangled mess!

The sound.... It is fabulous. I have been trying these one variation of music to try and give them a really good testing, and they haven't failed in any area. The classical music I listened to was pure and crisp, and in the choral music the sopranos sounded almost as though they were in my living room. I also used them for some pop and rock music and the bass was strikingly good.

These headphones are excellent all round.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than my AKG K240 Monitors and far lighter and ..., 9 July 2014
Fully justified the hefty price tag, The sound quality is superb, better than my AKG K240 Monitors and far lighter and more comfortable for prolonged wearing. The fact that they fold and stow in a neat zip pouch is a bonus. Can't recommend them too highly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent around-ear headphone, 6 Oct. 2014
I tested a few different headphones in the same price range but settled on these partly because of the detachable audio cable and the fact that they were so comfortable. The sound from them is pretty decent, but only for their price range. The audio cable is the perfect length if you’re planning to use them with a laptop, but it’s a bit long if you’re using them solely with an MP3 player. My only real gripe is that the headphones are too focused on compatibility with Apple products. If, when using my laptop, I make the mistake of trying to pause anything – Spotify for example – using the central button on the inline remote iTunes suddenly starts up. That’s definitely a pretty stupid function that I didn’t want or need.