4.0 out of 5 stars Bose has added a bit of colour to its range,
Published 6 months ago by Susman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a few niggles
These are the first headphones I've used in a while that aren't in-ear, so they took a bit of adjusting too.

So the good points:
1) They look great. I have had lots of compliments on them which is rare.
2) Sound quality pretty good
3) Surprisingly light yet sturdy

Now the not so good points:

1) The cable is obscenely long -...
Published 8 months ago by R. A. Mansfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Bose has added a bit of colour to its range,, 16 Aug. 2014
Susman "Susman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Bose has added a bit of colour to its range with the SoundTrue OE headphones. Available in four modern designs, they are set to rival the latest Beats by Dre headphones on the fashion front. The Bose SoundTrue range includes two rather similar models with slightly dissimilar designs. These are the on-ear variant, whereas the SoundTrue AEs are over-ear. The sound quality of the former seems better, and they are also smaller and lighter too.

You get the feature of three-button in-line remote and microphone, so you can make hands-free phone calls and change the volume of your music; however, they are only fully compatible with Apple devices, and to lesser degree certain android phones, which is rather disappointing.

They sound great across all types of music genres, from jazz to pop, but particularly excel when listening to classical tracks. The spoken-word comes over as rather crisp and clear, so these headphones are excellent for listening to audio books and similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones, 20 April 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:52 Mins

These are excellent headphones. I have used Bose QC1 and then QC2 headphones for more years than I can remember now and have loved them. However, there is a lot of competition now from other brands in this range, and I wondered whether Bose might be relying on their reputation because these are quite expensive for compact on-ear 'phones. I was wrong - these are worth every penny. They are neat, light, compact and comfortable, and most importantly of all, have excellent sound.

The sound is the most important thing, so to begin with that: it is excellent. I am genuinely surprised that such small, light on-ear 'phones can produce such a full, rounded sound. It is excellently balanced with very bright treble, rich middles and a very solid bass, which really resonates when necessary. What I found striking was the sheer precision and clarity of what I was hearing, which was exceptional. I have a Test Playlist for audio equipment which starts with Tudor choral music, ends with London Grammar and covers most things in between. Everything sounds excellent; the bass response gives a theorbo and viola da gamba a real, resonant depth, string quartets are perfectly balanced, I'd say, rock sounds great and that sub-bass resonance in the second half of London Grammar's Hey Now really rolls around your head. I find them a joy to listen to.

I have worn these for several hours at a stretch and they're extremely comfortable. They may not grip hard enough for running, say, but they're fine for everyday use. They are very nicely packaged with an attractive storage pouch, they look stylish and the cord gives no friction noise whatever. It has a control switch and microphone for use with your phone but works perfectly well with an ordinary jack output from an mp3 player, computer etc.

The only tiny gripe I have is that the connecting cable is far too long for me. I'm 6 foot tall and with the headphones on the cable dangles on the floor, which means there's an awful lot of it when it's in normal use. However, that's a trivial complaint. These are top-quality headphones and I recommend them very warmly indeed.

(These are on-ear phones so they don't keep the world's noise out as much as over-ear ones, of course. If you prefer over-ear headphones, I find that Brainwavz HM9s deliver sound at least as good as, and possibly better than these for about half the price. They're much chunkier than these, but they are really, really good. Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones .)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 8 Dec. 2014
Alex Southall (Kendal, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've had my Bose Ae2 (practically the same as the "SoundTrue") for two years. I'll list the main pros and cons of the headphones before explaining why the Ae2 have been the perfect pair of headphones for me.

Pros:
-Clear and crisp sound
-Lightweight and portable
-Clean and subtle aesthetics

Cons:
-Arguably overpriced
-Slight lack of bass

As a 16 year old, I use these headphones for hours every day at school and home. I was unimpressed by the sound quality and distasteful appearance of the Beats by Dre that my friends were using, and so was incredibly satisfied after getting a pair of Ae2 for Christmas. They are quite expensive (Bose generally are) but when compared to the Beats, I think the Bose SoundTrue headphones are actually brilliant value. As for other headphones of a similar quality, maybe not so much, but I have little experience of the such. I have used the same pair for 2 years (previous earphones/headphones were lucky to see 6 months) with a replacement of the cable after it was chewed by an excited puppy, and replacement cushions due to wear and tear. So far, neither the strong plastic casing or headband have succumbed to the stresses of being thrown around in a bag for most of the day at school. The light, low profile cans and soft padding mean that the headphones are very comfortable even during extended periods of use, especially when laying against a pillow.

I can't comment in much detail on the specific characteristics of the sound quality and signature due to a lack of experience with other headphones. What I can say, is that music seems very clear and crisp, though sometimes lacks bass. For the most part, I listen to classic rock, jazz, blues, and old hip-hop. I also occasionally listen to classical, reggae, and pop. The sound is generally pleasant when listening on an iPod/iPhone, and is incredible when listening to high quality (1411kbps/44.100kHz/16-bit) music through an amp/DAC. The lack of bass, however, lets the headphones down when gaming or watching movies. One situation in which I have found the Ae2 to be completely superior to anything else I have tried, is when plugged into a digital piano. I find that playing the piano perfectly compliments the clear and precise sound of the headphones.

The Bose Ae2 have been a brilliant pair of headphones for the past 2 years. The sound quality and practical strengths of the headphones means it's highly probable that I will replace them with a pair of SoundTrue, if and when the time comes. I strongly recommend them to casual music listeners that seek practicality and a clear sound quality!

5.0 out of 5 stars Little brother of the QC15. Plain awesome., 5 Aug. 2014
Was in love with my QC15 but wanted some more portable headphones and without batteries and decided to try these. Cannot be happier. They sound really well and powerful for a not battery powered headphones. They are comfortable as hell. They can be folded and take very small space, even wear in a pocket or around the neck without noticing.

Cable seems to be also quite durable. Maybe I'd miss a shorter cable as I need to roll it up and save it in my pocket if I don't want to tangle with everyone around.

4.0 out of 5 stars I picked this one over a Sennheiser pair due to the fact that it looks better and would be ok to wear out in public ..., 13 Aug. 2014
I bought this as a gift for my partner, I picked this one over a Sennheiser pair due to the fact that it looks better and would be ok to wear out in public (the Sennheisers were too bulky for outdoor use). They are extremely lightweight and comfortable. I was worried about the sound leak but I don't think it is an issue as it only happens at a very loud volume. There are better quality sounding headphones for a cheaper price but with these you pay a bit more for portability and good looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Happy Boy., 7 Feb. 2015
Just received these this morning ( 7th Feb. ) having been an in-ear headphone fan for outdoor use ( always hated over-ostentatious look of large cans ! ). My immediate reaction.... Oh what an idiot I have been all these years. The quality, feel, sound and performance is exactly what I expected from the company.... And having worn them for nearly six hours straight there is no tiring of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable quality, 15 May 2014
Little Cat Voom (The middle of England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If I`d been asked a year ago if expensive audio equipment was worth the outlay, I`d have definitively said no. However, having had Sennheiser earphones for my ipod, and now these - I can categorically say that you`re closer than ever to hearing music as it should be heard. I didn`t expect the difference to be so stark, especially when compared to those earphones provided by Apple. These are very comfy too, and work as noise-cancelling headphones - enhancing the purity of the listening experience. The left side cord has the controls - volume, pause, go back a song/ skip a song - which is convenient and particularly useful for me as I had a defunct ipod, one without any controls on it - now I can use it again. I`ve been so impressed, I have since wildly exceeded my budget and bought a Bose stereo too. There`s no doubt that you get what you pay for, even if it is a bit scary to the casual listener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable., 29 April 2014
Andy O'Boogie (Widnes, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones really score on comfort. They are around ear and very light. The sound is good, clear and well dispersed. Sound wise they are not as good as my on ear Sennheisser Momentums which have been my favourites for over a year. However these are much more comfortable than the Momentums. I use an amplifier (the Fii0 E12) to boost volume with my IPOD Classic (the Bose headphones play music quieter than the Momentums). When connected directly to the IPOD Classic the remote does control the volume. Even though the sound isn't as good as the Momentums, these are currently my headphones of choice due to the amazing comfort. I just don't feel these Bose headphones on my head. Very important when you spend as long as I do listening to music. Inevitably ears do get warm when any physical activity takes place (in my case gardening) but these are not designed for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than my AKG K240 Monitors and far lighter and ..., 9 July 2014
Fully justified the hefty price tag, The sound quality is superb, better than my AKG K240 Monitors and far lighter and more comfortable for prolonged wearing. The fact that they fold and stow in a neat zip pouch is a bonus. Can't recommend them too highly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent around-ear headphone, 6 Oct. 2014
I tested a few different headphones in the same price range but settled on these partly because of the detachable audio cable and the fact that they were so comfortable. The sound from them is pretty decent, but only for their price range. The audio cable is the perfect length if you’re planning to use them with a laptop, but it’s a bit long if you’re using them solely with an MP3 player. My only real gripe is that the headphones are too focused on compatibility with Apple products. If, when using my laptop, I make the mistake of trying to pause anything – Spotify for example – using the central button on the inline remote iTunes suddenly starts up. That’s definitely a pretty stupid function that I didn’t want or need.