4.0 out of 5 stars Sound good, comfortable, but expensive
I was surprised at how small the packaging was, with just the carrying case snug inside the box; thankfully no acres of display packaging here.

Published 2 months ago by B. Ritchie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a few niggles
These are the first headphones I've used in a while that aren't in-ear, so they took a bit of adjusting too.

So the good points:
1) They look great. I have had lots of compliments on them which is rare.
2) Sound quality pretty good
3) Surprisingly light yet sturdy

Now the not so good points:

1) The cable is obscenely long -...
Published 1 month ago by R. A. Mansfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound good, comfortable, but expensive, 14 May 2014
B. Ritchie (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The phones come in a nicely-sized zipped carrying case, which is very light. The detachable cable plugs into the left earpiece (simpler than one that trails to both) with a tiny stereo jackplug (even smaller than standard iPod/phone size, so not sure how easy it would be to replace). It contains a tiny remote and mike, with three buttons - volume up, volume down and a central multi-function button (pause/play, skip forward/backward, fast forward/rewind). In practice, I find the central button tricky to use, if it does work at all. (One press for pause/play, two clicks for skip forward, three clicks to skip back, etc.) The cable is fairly long, certainly ample for portable use.

The headphones are "on-ear", and don't wrap around the ears (there is a similar Bose model that does). I find them very comfortable, bliss after many pairs of uncomfortable on-ear / over-ear models. They do leak sound a bit, so wouldn't be suitable for use in a quiet environment where they might disturb others.

First listen: iPod Classic (160GB). Initial impression is that they're a little bit boomy, but the high frequencies are still clear.

Later, a more careful listen with my Samsung Galaxy 3 smartphone: Demo track: Kansas, Song for America (very busy in all frequencies). Again, the bass and mid-to-low frequencies seem a bit too dominant, but the overall sound is clear. It could just be that I'm used to my (very old) Sennheiser in-ear phones, whose bass response is probably a bit weak. The remote didn't work too well with the phone: the volume controls didn't work at all, and the control button could only pause/unpause and go forward to the next track - I couldn't persuade it to go backwards at all!

The multi-function button is only a partial success on the iPod Classic too: I can get it to play/pause, and to go to the next/previous track, but can't get it to skip forward or backward. That doesn't really bother me, I'm happy enough being able to pause.

As a completely unfair comparison, I then tried the phones on my hifi amp. The Sennheiser in-ear phones sounded absolutely awful! Tinny, and not really coping with the big transients made by the amp. Completely unlistenable. The Bose SoundTrue pair fared much better. Less boomy than on the iPod or phone, which makes me suspect that it's the processing on those that's making them boomy. (Perhaps try using one of the lower-bass EQs? iPod EQ is Off, phone is on Auto, which for Kansas probably means Rock.) All in all, an acceptable sound, but not particularly thrilling.

However, then I used my Sennheiser HD650s - my hifi headphones - and they were clearly far better than the Bose. Not too surprising, as they were a lot more expensive; and the Bose have been designed with iPods and smartphones in mind. (And the HD650s were not; the iPod has a hard time driving them.)

Some time later: I've been using the Bose phones on and off for several weeks now, mainly with the iPod and the Galaxy 3, and I'm happy with the sound and comfort. I even wore them whilst gardening for a couple of hours, and they sounded fine, stayed in place, and were fairly comfortable, though my ears were getting a bit warm toward the end.

Overall, the Bose SoundTrue phones seem pretty good for mobile devices, but they are considerably more expensive than anything else I've tried. Though the carrying case is as compact as it could be, it's still a lot bigger than the tiny pouch required for in-ear phones, and that restricts the usability for me. I'm not sure I'll always have room for them in my hand luggage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a few niggles, 18 Jun 2014
R. A. Mansfield "bertieronbob" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

So the good points:
1) They look great. I have had lots of compliments on them which is rare.
2) Sound quality pretty good
3) Surprisingly light yet sturdy

Now the not so good points:

1) The cable is obscenely long - I never thought I'd complain about that but it's true. Gets caught and looped around stuff
2) They make your ears sweaty after abt 45 mins use. Not nice
3) They leak sound in a way in-ears don't. I commute on a train so this can make me unpopular

So only average rating I'm afraid

5.0 out of 5 stars Very light and comfortable, 3 Jun 2014
LJD (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Length:: 2:11 Mins

Summary: These sound great and are super comfy.
===

When I opened this, I felt disappointed as it's made of plastic (or similar material) and is light [ see 🎥 ]. My first impressions really were that this is "kinda cheap". That was until I turned them on. The sound clarity is very impressive

The ear-cushions are decadently soft. [🎥]

Note the discrete hologram on the inner headband - make sure you don't get a fake.

Because of the style and comfort, these are ideal for travelling. I sometimes forget I'm wearing them- they're that good.

VALUE?
====
At the current price of 149, it's dear. An audio specialist acquaintance of mine tells me that you can get much better headphones for the same money. To my ears, these are good enough; they offer a combination of comfort and lightness and durability. You may well be paying for "fashion".

ALTERNATIVE
======
If you don't mind having a pair of metal headphones, I can recommend the V-Moda Crossfade [ 🔗 http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R25TKULYMZZ3BN/ ]. They sound better but you do have to tolerate the weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact premium headphones, 27 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Bose are renowned for high end audio equipment and these on-ear headphones are no exception. They are very well made in minimalist black plastic and steel and remarkably compact, folding up to fit in a supplied zip case measuring 12 x12 x 4cm. The headband is well padded, as are the earpieces, and there is a single 1.7m connecting lead supplied fitted with a 2.5mm plug at one end for connecting to the left headphone with a 3.5mm plug at the other end for plugging into audio equipment.

A microphone and remote control are incorporated into the lead specifically for use with iPhones, iPads and iPods to receive and end calls, change volume and control the playing of the music. In use, the headphones are lightweight and comfortable and the sound is full and detailed, particularly on classical and jazz tracks, making the use of headphones from Sony and Sennheiser sound muffled by comparison when listening to the same music. Highly recommended and well worth trying out when considering other premium headphones in this sector.

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't bleed sound - you won't annoy people around you, 5 May 2014
JM (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:41 Mins

A friend and I did a test where the music was turned right up, and then the other person listened to see if any sound bled out. We did the test outdoors. Incredibly, there was no sound "leakage".

The headphones are very light, surprisingly light! Almost unbelievably light. The sound is great.

They are incredibly comfortable to wear; could easily have them on for hours without causing any discomfort.

Are they worth 149?
==========
No, they seem a BIT dear. I guess you're paying for fashion / style / comfort. There are other headphones out there that sound better BUT they aren't necessarily as light or comfortable to wear.

The sound is very good, but it's not amazing; really depends how fussy you are.

BOTTOM LINE
==========
I use them for long bus journeys and am VERY happy. They help shut out a lot of noise and are EXTREMELY comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones, 20 April 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:52 Mins

These are excellent headphones. I have used Bose QC1 and then QC2 headphones for more years than I can remember now and have loved them. However, there is a lot of competition now from other brands in this range, and I wondered whether Bose might be relying on their reputation because these are quite expensive for compact on-ear 'phones. I was wrong - these are worth every penny. They are neat, light, compact and comfortable, and most importantly of all, have excellent sound.

The sound is the most important thing, so to begin with that: it is excellent. I am genuinely surprised that such small, light on-ear 'phones can produce such a full, rounded sound. It is excellently balanced with very bright treble, rich middles and a very solid bass, which really resonates when necessary. What I found striking was the sheer precision and clarity of what I was hearing, which was exceptional. I have a Test Playlist for audio equipment which starts with Tudor choral music, ends with London Grammar and covers most things in between. Everything sounds excellent; the bass response gives a theorbo and viola da gamba a real, resonant depth, string quartets are perfectly balanced, I'd say, rock sounds great and that sub-bass resonance in the second half of London Grammar's Hey Now really rolls around your head. I find them a joy to listen to.

I have worn these for several hours at a stretch and they're extremely comfortable. They may not grip hard enough for running, say, but they're fine for everyday use. They are very nicely packaged with an attractive storage pouch, they look stylish and the cord gives no friction noise whatever. It has a control switch and microphone for use with your phone but works perfectly well with an ordinary jack output from an mp3 player, computer etc.

The only tiny gripe I have is that the connecting cable is far too long for me. I'm 6 foot tall and with the headphones on the cable dangles on the floor, which means there's an awful lot of it when it's in normal use. However, that's a trivial complaint. These are top-quality headphones and I recommend them very warmly indeed.

(These are on-ear phones so they don't keep the world's noise out as much as over-ear ones, of course. If you prefer over-ear headphones, I find that Brainwavz HM9s deliver sound at least as good as, and possibly better than these for about half the price. They're much chunkier than these, but they are really, really good. Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones .)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them, 14 April 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I have borrowed a friends pair of these and do not want to give them back!

They are comfortable to wear, and in terms of aesthetics look pretty cool. I like the fact that you can buy them in different colour combinations. The wire only comes off one ear, so it is not as easy as some headphones to get into one horrible tangled mess!

The sound.... It is fabulous. I have been trying these one variation of music to try and give them a really good testing, and they haven't failed in any area. The classical music I listened to was pure and crisp, and in the choral music the sopranos sounded almost as though they were in my living room. I also used them for some pop and rock music and the bass was strikingly good.

These headphones are excellent all round.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 22 May 2014
A customer (Asturias) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can honestly say that these headphones are the best I have ever used in my life.
There are so well made and stylish that stand out form the rest.
The are designed to deliver clear, natural acustic sound and they deliver just that.
The padding around the ear is made of memory foam, so you can use them for as long as you need to, and they will never be uncomfortable.
The lead attaches and detaches from one side only, and that avoids tangles with the lead.
They also have some superb noise cancellation properties.
It comes with a nice storage box to keep them in good condition.
I totally recommend these headphones to music lover, ipod and iphone users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look great, sound great, 14 April 2014
I got the white ones with the blue cable. The design is very modern and they are extremely comfortable to wear as they are light. I dithered over getting the QC15 ones with noise cancelling but decided not to pay the extra 120. Haven't tested on a plane yet but did wear while moving the lawn and could hear the music fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than my AKG K240 Monitors and far lighter and ..., 9 July 2014
This review is from: Bose SoundTrue Around-Ear Headphones - Black (Electronics)
Fully justified the hefty price tag, The sound quality is superb, better than my AKG K240 Monitors and far lighter and more comfortable for prolonged wearing. The fact that they fold and stow in a neat zip pouch is a bonus. Can't recommend them too highly!