5.0 out of 5 stars INITIAL IMPRESSIONS - EXCELLENT, 10 Jun 2014
Helpless "Helpless" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
I took delivery of this printer yesterday, I had done a little research including a visit to the HP website and found that this model of the printer is the current updated version of the HP 8600. Reviews on the older model were predominantly positive including the fact that it was a recommended printer by a number of computer magazines.

Compared to my broken Canon Pixma it was replacing, it is a lot taller, but about the same width and depth. It is also heavier but I hope that indicates that it is made of better quality materials. Take care lifting it out of the box, at 14kg you'll not want to drop it on your toe.

I plugged it in, connected it to the telephone line, a USB lead and to the Ethernet socket of my router. Next I looked for the instructions on how to get the ink cartriges in but found no references in the enclosed booklet. Things have moved on from paper instructions. Switch it on and all the instructions can be found by using the printer touch screen. There are even instructional videos to show you how to set everything up. It is extremely intuitive.

Full marks for making it so easy to start up. It will take a few minutes to boot and set up, then afterwards it will ask if you wish to update the software to the most recent update. Every step of the way can be followed on the touch screen.

Once completed it then tells you to install the software on your PC or Mac. Use the enclosed CD which in installs the latest drivers from the web and not the CD. I had no problems with either installation, my Mac or on my wife's Win 7 PC. It also works with Bonjour if like me you have a dual boot Macbook with a Windows 7 installation.

AirPrint worked flawlessly with my iPhone and iPad. If you have NFC on your Android device it should work with that and with Google print, though I have not tried it yet.

I was surprised it was so easy and simple to set up and was waiting for a hitch, any hitch to appear. It didn't.

Print quality is excellent, sharp and precise, photo printing is also very good. An added bonus is that if you buy the XL cartridge refills they will last you a long time. As it stands the set up cartridges in particularly the black should give a claimed 1000 print pages. We shall see!

All in all my first impression are good, easy set up and quality printing. It has a 3 year warranty which I hope. I never have to use.

Update

After using it for a few days my initial impression has not changed, if fact it is faster and quieter than my older Cannon Pixma, a real benefit as I can now print while my wife watches Coronation Street.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent All-in-One quality and performance, 30 May 2014
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
Technical performance and build quality delivers on all counts. Speed and print quality is matched by support services, set up and diagnostic tools.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Officejet 8620, 8 Jun 2014
James Craig "James Craig" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
A replacement for an old Officejet 8600. It works well, is very quick to scan but documents need to be inserted in the opposite direction to the former printer when scanned on the flatbed. The document feeder is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING PRINTER, 20 July 2014
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
AMAZING PRINTER INSTANT NOY LIKE EPSON RUBBISH I HAVE DEALT WITH FOR YEARS DOUBLE SIDED INSTANT
NO BLURRS MISSING LINES