Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Size: Printer|Change

This looks to be far more economic to run than our previous HP printer which lasted 4 years.
On purchase of this I noticed a £40 cashback and a free 3 year warranty from HP (Exchange)
According to the UK HP website the closing date for the purchase to get the above offers is 30/04/2015 (had to be purchased directly from amazon to get the deal, you will also need to check with HP directly after this date if there is still *any* existing offer)

So far these "sweeteners" are confirmed and on track, and the cashback is due to be paid by BACS in a week or two.No significant increase in phone calls asking me if i want to buy solar panels since i gave HP my address and phone number is a good thing.

My last HP Printer was a photosmart 309a which lasted an impressive 13000+ prints and probably performed slightly better on photos as it had "grey" ink as well ,however on it failing that's now £61 of 364 XL ink sitting jammed inside the c309a and a few unused 364XL spares that will probably be end up being given away.
I just tried printing using my usual HP advanced photo paper on this 8610 and to be honest at this moment it is very similar in quality - seems the paper used is more important than I realised.

So perhaps points to be aware of, is this 8610 printer is probably not going to win a beauty contest, it's big and has a more industrial feel to it. Though surprisingly quieter than the C309a it's really "chunky" to look at, I would have prefered it in white also.

The plus points outweigh the negatives for us. Switching to ink cartridges that can output 700-1500 pages if bought separately at the same price as our old 364 ink or joining HP's "instant ink" program where you can print 50 pages a month for £1.99 or 300 pages for £7.99 has to be far fairer on the consumer.

Instant ink also rolls over what you haven't used on your quota for one month and you can even add 25 printouts on top of your usual use for £1 on the plan we will be on- which is 4p per extra print at the time of review.

There is no obligation to stay on instant ink according to what I have understood and you can switch over to buying the retail cartridges. Hp do mention that they can put more ink in the "instant ink" cartridges than a commercially available XL version.
I would expect that means you use the same cartridges once delivered,pay the same monthly sub and print out your monthly quotas and a new set arrives before you run out,but not necessarily monthly- as the printer orders them on a demand basis.You aren't charged per colour cartridge used, just per page.

Reading the other reviews I didn't give this printer a chance to "not work" via wifi and connected it via a network cable.
It does (after registration) have it's own email address for direct printing which then defaults to 300 DPI single sided output only and will print *and scan*from/to hp mobile apps without having a PC turned on as it has its own wifi ssid RX/TX unit (In fact if you turn the tablet, mobile or PC wireless on the 8610 shows up with it's model number as if a router-it has a password only you know that you can print off or display on the screen-you can change this)
*You can disable printing to its email address and add prefered senders to suit or turn the function off,so don't worry about other people using up all your ink without your permission.

Double sided (duplex unit) clicked in place and fitted well, the top feeding tray for faxing and scanning seems the weak point in ours and it is very similar to our old HP printer. Pages tend to have to be in very good condition to put in the document feeder.
It will sometimes jam if the paper isn't really square on inserting,the more pieces of paper placed on the feeder ,the less chance of a jam seems our general rule of thumb. We hardly fax a thing and use the glass scanner function right now. Photocopies are truly great looking.

If you pull the front panel on the left toward you may notice a light comes on to help you change your ink,also if you take note of the gigantic cartridges (when compared to 364XL ink and others) you'll probably,like me, feel less anxious about future ink costs.

The "setup" ink cartridges have lasted 250 pages for us so far and are 25% depleted-use of these does not count toward use on instant ink if you join that scheme,no paper jams normal and double sided printing up until now for us, but the unit we received was so well protected, this may be why.
This printer also updates itself via the net without requiring a pc to download firmware,ours did auto download new firmware within 4 hours of being set up without us doing anything to it,it showed what it was doing on the screen and it seems a good feature - if yours doesn't do this it may be that it's already up to date.

Picture 2 shows A new sealed pack of 364 ink (for my broken printer) with the removed 950/951 inks from this printer to demonstrate scale.
I have rarely heard ink make any noise in lots of cartridges, in these 950/951 setup inks you can hear the liquid ink on shaking them.quite easily.

Print Quality is that of a good office printer,the paper tray will accept a LOT of 80GSM paper or photo paper, but not both at the same time as far as I can see.
The printer has no power brick, as the psu is internal.
We were lucky ,I think, and purchased this at the right time.

I looked briefly at the integral web content that the printer can print out on a schedule,most of it doesn't quite seem "English enough" as yet, but we will see if that changes over time.

Providing ink costs don't rise too much over 3 years and you are ok using a single touchscreen over physical buttons, it may be a sensible choice for those who want to save money on cartridges and postage/trips to stationers.

If you have the time to record your serial number and scan and upload your invoice to HP, you have a pretty good printer, Guaranteed 3 years by the manufacturer at less than £90 initial cost after cashback (check the HP website before you purchase, for offer expiry dates and the full legal details of any agreements)

I feel glad I have purchased this as our old HP IS dead,was just costing too much in 364XL ink and I really struggled when tasked to look for something that would either not be too flashy for our needs or basically too much of a toy.This, I feel strikes a nice balance in a confusing market sector.
review image review image
66 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2015
A great printer for a home/small office, that despite some minor drawbacks still deserves 5 stars in my opinion.

First and foremost: This printer is EXACTLY like its big (and more expensive) brother the 8620, except it has a slightly smaller LCD panel (I own both products, bought at the same time). Other than that there is zero difference in specs, quality or performance. The smaller LCD panel is not a big deal at all, trust me!

The device is quite heavy and bulky for an inkjet, and bear in mind when positioning, that the duplexer will protrude from the back (about 8-10cm). This printer is absolutely PACKED with features, ones that you usually see on £800+ office MFPs.

We mainly print invoices, packaging labels, cardstock, photo, and all comes out perfect. The duplexer is a very nice touch for saving paper, not just for the cost, but also less amount of printed stuff to store.

Because the 8610 has a built in wireless we can do some very stuff we couldn't with our old lasers: my favourite is scanning to network - when I receive a 10 page paper bill I simply feed it in the top scanner and push a button on the printer panel. No PC required, and my document will be safely archived in a 10page pdf.

- The feeder scanner is good resolution for documents, the glass scanner is superior for photos
- Print quality is excellent, even in "Normal" print mode on standard 80gsm copier paper.
- running costs are VERY low when printing documents, and occasional leaflets. I do mean it, we average less per page with the original HP inks than we do on our enterprise HP laser with 3rd party toners. Amazing.
- printing speed is good for draft/normal. Printing lots of documents in high quality will take some time.
- front panel is crystal clear, it can also be tilted up, so you can view it in a good angle if you position the printer down

I have had 2 gripes with the printer so far:
1. unsure about the situation now, but about 6 months ago (2015 Summer) the drivers on Windows 8 sucked so hard, that the laptops lost connection randomly with the printer. It was so annoying that it warranted a downgrade to Win7 on all of them (which is not really an issue as I hated Win8 anyway)
2. the lack of a manual feed tray/bit awkward tray positioning - I wish there was a manual tray, as we have to change the type of paper 5-6 times a day. Since the paper tray is located underneath the output tray you have to remove all printed papers, push the output tray in to be able to access the paper tray. This can be very inconvenient when you are busy and have to alternate between paper types (eg when printing labels and invoices)

Despite the problems I think this is a superstar printer of awesome value (especially if you get the cashback (see below)), with very little compromise.

Just google "HP printer cashback", and check the fineprint of the periodic HP promotions. The cashbacks are on and off, so maybe you want to time your purchase when the promo is on:) All you have to do is register the printer if you bought it in the qualifying period, and upload the invoice at hp.com. You can usually also register this for 3 year HP carepack at the same time. I registered mine in 2015 Jan, and got £30 couple of months later paid to my bank account, and a certificate for the carepack. Super value, even better than the 8620 (which is also great)
on 23 July 2014
I bought the HP8610 from Amazon with usual prompt service. Slightly higher price than some, but much fewer worries about any returns problems. Fast, free delivery.

This is an excellent all-in-one device, an update (1 May 2014) of the HP8600 Plus which is still available but at a higher price.

This device ticks all the boxes in respect of features and demonstrates clearly why paying a little more for the “Office” grade equipment is worth it over cheaper “Home” or “Home Office” devices. I only needed Print, Copy and Scan (so cannot comment on the Fax features as I haven’t used them). This does all I need. Print Quality is excellent even in draft mode. The installed device driver and Printer Control Panel on my Windows Vista PC work flawlessly. Nice to have access to the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to provide extra configuration options.

This device has both Ethernet & WiFi connectivity which leads me to the only drawback I have found. In common with its predecessors when the device goes into Eco mode to save power it no longer listens on its WiFi connection (perhaps it powers the WiFi down to save power) so all communication between clients (PCs, iDevices etc) ceases. Before you can Print, AirPrint or Scan you must first visit the device and ‘wake it up’. This may not bother you... but it does irritate me.... especially as the same is not true of the Ethernet connection. I have switched to Ethernet (which turns off the WiFi). The printer will wake automatically from sleep to Print or Scan from client devices. Apps with AirPrint capability ‘see’ the printer regardless of its wake/sleep mode. This is how it should work HP !!! Please make this possible on WiFi (at least as an option) in future firmware, even if this does damage the stated eco-power-performance of the device.

What have I used so far? COPY; PRINT from client PC; AIRPRINT from iPad and iPhone; PRINT remotely by emailing an attachment to the printer’s HPePRINT email address; SCAN from PC; SCAN to Network Folder; SCAN to Email; SCAN to Computer. ADF feed for COPY & SCAN; Flat Bed COPY & SCAN. PRINT from HPePrint iPad App.

NB You don't need the printer in WiFi mode to AirPrint, you just need the printer to be on the same subnet as your client device, which is the normal situation on a home wireless router.

All in all, this is a wonderful device.
on 22 August 2014
Great wifi printer - I replaced my old HP Officejet All-in-One printer with this one. The old one last almost 6 years, but then I decided that I needed wifi printing and this new machine seems to do it very well. I have used the print, scan and copy modes and they all work well and quickly. The printer is very user-friendly, and I would recommend it.
on 28 May 2015
Good printer. On the whole I like it and for the most part it works well. However, there a few niggles. If you want to add paper when paper is already in tray you need to take the whole lot out, flip pages and even them up and then put back in printer otherwise they will pick up 2 pages at a time. There is no back tray for single sheets. You need to check the paper guides when using multi-sheet feeder as sometimes it will tear the long edge.
on 7 March 2016
Purchased this printer from another well known online company but couldn't see how to leave a review there so left one here.

Only gave 4 stars because it does NOT work with XP as advertised spent hours trying to get it work with my XP system plus trying to get help from "support" to no avail - so had to purchase an interim cheap windows 7 system in order to use it (be warned!)

However apart from this I have been able to use it to copy a vast amount amount of paperwork with the initial printer cartridges supplied, which is still going strong - I would most certainly say the estimates on printing with the cartridges are correct.

Prints quickly, cleanly and has great features as printing from USB.

I do run a home office so the size of the printer does not put me off - however if you purchased for normal printing use the size of the printer will be a bit of a shock - all in all an absolute excellent purchase with good value for money if you do a huge amount of printing like me

Currently HP are offering a free 3 year warranty on this until April 30th 2016 - so make sure you register your product once received. Also if purchasing HP cartridges for this printer HP are currently running a promotion from 01/03/16 to 31/05/16 whereby you buy 2 or cartridges and you get cashback on the cost of each cartridge (,ust claim within 30 days) - link can be found here:

(...)

While initially you may baulk at spending £15-£20 per cartridge the amount of printing you can do with it is beyond brilliant and it may be worth while stocking up will the promo is on.

I personally do not use the instant ink option as it not economical for my business we print on average of 500-600 pages per month and a busy periods closer to 1000 pages per month which is significantly beyond the capacity fo the frequent printing quota - which I am a little critical of, since this is printer is targeted at the small/homeoffice and a a large amount of small business will most likely print over 300 pages per month. While it allows you to pay just £1 for each additional 25 pages printed - for large printers like me it works out cheaper to buy the cartrige and because of the high yield of the cartridges I am willing to give the 4 stars.
on 10 February 2016
Here's evidence HP can get it right. While I have been through several HP inkjet printers and probably damaged them with 3rd party inks, this one is still using the supplied cartridges after 10 months. That's 800 pages of text and pictures and a few photos for 90% used. I've signed up to HP's Instant Ink and the odds are good for my running costs.
In use I've rarely had a connection problem and when I did it was solved by a minutes wait or a restart. The scanner and the duplexer have been equally good. Printing from my Android phone has been reliable too. I don't recall installing anything as Windows 10 seems to have found the printer and set it up. The printer has a web control panel with lots of options. For printing PDF's I use PDF-Xchange as my default viewer instead of the Adobe reader and that gives me better printing options.
What's wrong is that I find myself uncritical of an inkjet printer and no longer think twice before printing.
on 23 October 2014
Ok. BUT two important niggles make me wish I'd stayed with laser. (1) It's VERY slow when printing PDF's (2) It won't do back-to-back in A5 format. Also, the dialogue box has far more limited options than the brother laser I had before, but that could be down to the appalling Windows 8 I'm lumbered with in my new laptop.
on 14 February 2016
I am regretting for having purchased this product. After installation a message appeared to have a missing print head. searched and followed instructions but still same message even after installing original ink cartridge. I cannot return the product because my son disposed of packaging box. It was my first time to buy such an item from amazon warehouse. I am in a fix as I cannot print my document, loosing trust in amazon and getting furious because I do not have time to follow this one up. I wish there was a direct number I could use to call to resolve the issue.
on 24 August 2014
Great machine, has everything you could want, big ink cartridges, fast, high quality print, network scanning and fax, I only buy HP printers and this is one of the best.