5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wifi Printer
Great wifi printer - I replaced my old HP Officejet All-in-One printer with this one. The old one last almost 6 years, but then I decided that I needed wifi printing and this new machine seems to do it very well. I have used the print, scan and copy modes and they all work well and quickly. The printer is very user-friendly, and I would recommend it.
Published 8 months ago by TMH

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok. BUT two important niggles make me wish I'd ...
Ok. BUT two important niggles make me wish I'd stayed with laser. (1) It's VERY slow when printing PDF's (2) It won't do back-to-back in A5 format. Also, the dialogue box has far more limited options than the brother laser I had before, but that could be down to the appalling Windows 8 I'm lumbered with in my new laptop.
Published 6 months ago by Alec Synge

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wifi Printer, 22 Aug. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you could want!, 24 Aug. 2014
R. Marler (Lowestoft UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
Great machine, has everything you could want, big ink cartridges, fast, high quality print, network scanning and fax, I only buy HP printers and this is one of the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok. BUT two important niggles make me wish I'd ..., 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars ... but beware the lack of the WiFi connectivity when the printer goes into power save mode, 23 July 2014
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
I bought the HP8610 from Amazon with usual prompt service. Slightly higher price than some, but much fewer worries about any returns problems. Fast, free delivery.

This is an excellent all-in-one device, an update (1 May 2014) of the HP8600 Plus which is still available but at a higher price.

This device ticks all the boxes in respect of features and demonstrates clearly why paying a little more for the “Office” grade equipment is worth it over cheaper “Home” or “Home Office” devices. I only needed Print, Copy and Scan (so cannot comment on the Fax features as I haven’t used them). This does all I need. Print Quality is excellent even in draft mode. The installed device driver and Printer Control Panel on my Windows Vista PC work flawlessly. Nice to have access to the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to provide extra configuration options.

This device has both Ethernet & WiFi connectivity which leads me to the only drawback I have found. In common with its predecessors when the device goes into Eco mode to save power it no longer listens on its WiFi connection (perhaps it powers the WiFi down to save power) so all communication between clients (PCs, iDevices etc) ceases. Before you can Print, AirPrint or Scan you must first visit the device and ‘wake it up’. This may not bother you... but it does irritate me.... especially as the same is not true of the Ethernet connection. I have switched to Ethernet (which turns off the WiFi). The printer will wake automatically from sleep to Print or Scan from client devices. Apps with AirPrint capability ‘see’ the printer regardless of its wake/sleep mode. This is how it should work HP !!! Please make this possible on WiFi (at least as an option) in future firmware, even if this does damage the stated eco-power-performance of the device.

What have I used so far? COPY; PRINT from client PC; AIRPRINT from iPad and iPhone; PRINT remotely by emailing an attachment to the printer’s HPePRINT email address; SCAN from PC; SCAN to Network Folder; SCAN to Email; SCAN to Computer. ADF feed for COPY & SCAN; Flat Bed COPY & SCAN. PRINT from HPePrint iPad App.

NB You don't need the printer in WiFi mode to AirPrint, you just need the printer to be on the same subnet as your client device, which is the normal situation on a home wireless router.

All in all, this is a wonderful device.

5.0 out of 5 stars We like this, 6 April 2015
Camazon Wustomer (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
This looks to be far more economic to run than our previous HP printer which lasted 4 years.
On purchase of this I noticed a £40 cashback and a free 3 year warranty from HP (Exchange)
According to the UK HP website the closing date for the purchase to get the above offers is 30/04/2015 (had to be purchased directly from amazon to get the deal, you will also need to check with HP directly after this date if there is still *any* existing offer)

So far these "sweeteners" are confirmed and on track, and the cashback is due to be paid by BACS in a week or two.No significant increase in phone calls asking me if i want to buy solar panels since i gave HP my address and phone number is a good thing.

My last HP Printer was a photosmart 309a which lasted an impressive 13000+ prints and probably performed slightly better on photos as it had "grey" ink as well ,however on it failing that's now £61 of 364 XL ink sitting jammed inside the c309a and a few unused 364XL spares that will probably be end up being given away.
I just tried printing using my usual HP advanced photo paper on this 8610 and to be honest at this moment it is very similar in quality - seems the paper used is more important than I realised.

So perhaps points to be aware of, is this 8610 printer is probably not going to win a beauty contest, it's big and has a more industrial feel to it. Though surprisingly quieter than the C309a it's really "chunky" to look at, I would have prefered it in white also.

The plus points outweigh the negatives for us. Switching to ink cartridges that can output 700-1500 pages if bought separately at the same price as our old 364 ink or joining HP's "instant ink" program where you can print 50 pages a month for £1.99 or 300 pages for £7.99 has to be far fairer on the consumer.

Instant ink also rolls over what you haven't used on your quota for one month and you can even add 25 printouts on top of your usual use for £1 on the plan we will be on- which is 4p per extra print at the time of review.

There is no obligation to stay on instant ink according to what I have understood and you can switch over to buying the retail cartridges. Hp do mention that they can put more ink in the "instant ink" cartridges than a commercially available XL version.
I would expect that means you use the same cartridges once delivered,pay the same monthly sub and print out your monthly quotas and a new set arrives before you run out,but not necessarily monthly- as the printer orders them on a demand basis.You aren't charged per colour cartridge used, just per page.

Reading the other reviews I didn't give this printer a chance to "not work" via wifi and connected it via a network cable.
It does (after registration) have it's own email address for direct printing which then defaults to 300 DPI single sided output only and will print *and scan*from/to hp mobile apps without having a PC turned on as it has its own wifi ssid RX/TX unit (In fact if you turn the tablet, mobile or PC wireless on the 8610 shows up with it's model number as if a router-it has a password only you know that you can print off or display on the screen-you can change this)
*You can disable printing to its email address and add prefered senders to suit or turn the function off,so don't worry about other people using up all your ink without your permission.

Double sided (duplex unit) clicked in place and fitted well, the top feeding tray for faxing and scanning seems the weak point in ours and it is very similar to our old HP printer. Pages tend to have to be in very good condition to put in the document feeder.
It will sometimes jam if the paper isn't really square on inserting,the more pieces of paper placed on the feeder ,the less chance of a jam seems our general rule of thumb. We hardly fax a thing and use the glass scanner function right now. Photocopies are truly great looking.

If you pull the front panel on the left toward you may notice a light comes on to help you change your ink,also if you take note of the gigantic cartridges (when compared to 364XL ink and others) you'll probably,like me, feel less anxious about future ink costs.

The "setup" ink cartridges have lasted 250 pages for us so far and are 25% depleted-use of these does not count toward use on instant ink if you join that scheme,no paper jams normal and double sided printing up until now for us, but the unit we received was so well protected, this may be why.
This printer also updates itself via the net without requiring a pc to download firmware,ours did auto download new firmware within 4 hours of being set up without us doing anything to it,it showed what it was doing on the screen and it seems a good feature - if yours doesn't do this it may be that it's already up to date.

Picture 2 shows A new sealed pack of 364 ink (for my broken printer) with the removed 950/951 inks from this printer to demonstrate scale.
I have rarely heard ink make any noise in lots of cartridges, in these 950/951 setup inks you can hear the liquid ink on shaking them.quite easily.

Print Quality is that of a good office printer,the paper tray will accept a LOT of 80GSM paper or photo paper, but not both at the same time as far as I can see.
The printer has no power brick, as the psu is internal.
We were lucky ,I think, and purchased this at the right time.

I looked briefly at the integral web content that the printer can print out on a schedule,most of it doesn't quite seem "English enough" as yet, but we will see if that changes over time.

Providing ink costs don't rise too much over 3 years and you are ok using a single touchscreen over physical buttons, it may be a sensible choice for those who want to save money on cartridges and postage/trips to stationers.

If you have the time to record your serial number and scan and upload your invoice to HP, you have a pretty good printer, Guaranteed 3 years by the manufacturer at less than £90 initial cost after cashback (check the HP website before you purchase, for offer expiry dates and the full legal details of any agreements)

I feel glad I have purchased this as our old HP IS dead,was just costing too much in 364XL ink and I really struggled when tasked to look for something that would either not be too flashy for our needs or basically too much of a toy.This, I feel strikes a nice balance in a confusing market sector.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer, but..., 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
An absolutely great product!! It has all the features I want and is much quicker and responsive than our current HP printer. However I may be returning due to its sheer size, it takes up space and a lot of it!

I might get to keep it but I might have to return - all goes down when my sister comes back in a few weeks as her room is the only place to where it can sit. So if I end up returning, I will buy a different HP printer.

I love HP as you can use instant ink and so cheap to run. We print occasionally so pay £1.99 a month which is £23.88 a year. Ink cartridges for this printer cost £50 for all of the colours in XL version and instant ink come with XL cartridges so you are saving money.

This is ideal for a Home office where you have a room dedicated for office, not people who put printers on the desk - because it will simply not fit. So beware and measure if you have enough space.

Would love to keep the printer!!

2.0 out of 5 stars good in every aspect except one, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
good in every aspect except one, the stupid eco mode. It doesnt wake up without you physically activating it. I didn't buy a wireless printer so that I have to go upstairs every fifteen minutes to switch it on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied costomer, 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
Easy to order at a very good price. Delivery was reasonable quick and well packed. Set up to my Apple computer was fairly easy. The print out is very good. Photo copying, photo prints and scanning works well. Have not tried the fax mode so cannot comment on it.

2.0 out of 5 stars like automatic duplexing and scanning, 22 Feb. 2015
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
For no reason, will fail to communicate. Need other HP software to make it work sometimes, but then you will be sacrificing some functionalities, like automatic duplexing and scanning. Unlike HP's many successful wireless printers, this is One of HP failures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it. Does everything I want!, 19 Sept. 2014
Kevin Roper "Kevers" (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer (Accessory)
Love it! Looks really really smart. Love the touch screen display which looks very Android and familiar. Love the scan to email and folder function, even on a network drive. Can place lots of paperwork in the top and leave it to scan it's little heart out whilst I walk off and make coffee!