5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - fantastic tablet. An ipad Slayer!
The tablet is very comfortable to hold as it is so light and thin. Build quality is excellent. Movies (via Netflix etc) have rich colours and movements are sharp. Sound volume is good although perhaps not as good as my Nexus 10. The micro SD slot allows storage up to 128gb. Also it is waterproof so my daughter can watch iplayer in the bath.

In conclusion, buy...
Published 3 months ago by jpod

2.0 out of 5 stars Touch screen fault after one week
Less than a week after purchasing this tablet it developed a touch screen issue on the right hand side of the screen. The "MultiTouch Test" app on the play store confirmed the problem by showing a loss of response from one or more fingers in contact with the screen. Turning the screen off/on and switching from Stamina mode seems to reduce the problem but it's...
Published 5 days ago by Badger

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - fantastic tablet. An ipad Slayer!, 4 April 2014

In conclusion, buy one as you won't be disappointed.

Update - I have use the tablet for the last 4 days and overall still impressed. My only concern is the rate at which the battery goes flat. I will review more closely and test how long it lasts after a 100% charge.

Update 2 - now I have set the power saving options the battery life appears to be reasonable.

4.0 out of 5 stars XPERIA Z2 Tablet: Evolution & Revolution At Its Very Best!!! ( Updated Review 30th May 2014), 24 May 2014
J. Choudhry (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z2 10.1 inch Tablet (Black) - (Qualcomm 2.3GHz, 3GB RAM, 16GB Memory, Google Android 4.4) (Personal Computers)
Please find my updated thoughts at the end of my review. Thanks

------------------------------------------

If you are totally confused by the mixed reviews of the online tech community and looking for someone who can give you an honest real life hands on experience with the Xperia Z2 tablet then you have come to the right place. I have sympathy for you as I was exactly in the same dilemma just a few days ago but now I know exactly what it's all about. Sit back & relax as this is going to be an in depth honest review of the Z2 tablet. My areas of concern for you guys are

a)It's your hard earned money that is at stake for a long term investment
b)Is this tablet a game changer & all the hype surrounding this tablet is true or is it just marketing

I am going to be discussing the four major areas which are of the most importance to an average consumer. Let's get into it straightaway without wasting anymore time.

Design & Build Quality (4.5/5) :

This is the worlds thinnest & lightest waterproof tablet in its class. It only weighs in at 426 g which is even lighter then one of the lightest tablets on the planet "The ipad Air "(469 g). This alone is an achievement enough from Sony to grab your attention. The tablet is wafer thin & gives you the impression as if its going to break. But Sony has done a brilliant job by not only keeping the tablet slimmer but studier as well. It's only when you hold it in your hands that you realise how well built the Z2 tablet really is. Well thought out design using the omni- balance design language by Sony results in a spectacular & sexy looking tablet. The back has a matt texture to it & hence the tablet gives you a strong grip whilst reading or browsing. There is a 8 MP camera at the back along with NFC as well.The IR blaster resides at the very top hence giving you an added ability to use the tablet as a remote control for your TV & home theatre. USB charging port & Micro SD card slots are conveniently located just next to the IR blaster covered with the flaps ( IP55/58 rated for waterproof certification ).The power button & the volume rocker are firmly placed on the left handside & have a quality feel to them. The 3.5 mm jack is at the bottom left corner of the tablet ( ideally I would have had it at the top). My only gripe with design is the extra bezels that the tablet has on both sides. Sony could have definitely reduced the bezels now that almost every product coming out in 2014 has slimmer bezels.All in all the physical dimensions along with the unique design language gives you a superior product in the Xperia Z2 tablet & better then any tablet I have ever held before ( trust me I have held & owned quite a few).

Screen Quality (5/5):

This is one area where Sony has improved big time. I literally hated the TFT LCD panels on the old Xperia devices. They all suffered with problems like viewing angles & decoloration plus sometimes over saturation. Finally Sony has adapted to the IPS LCD type of panels & they are the same type of screens used in devices like HTC One M8 & the LG G2. Problems with the viewing angles is thing of the past now. Colors are very natural & punchy plus they have a great tone to them. It's a sheer pleasure looking at the screen whether watching videos or browsing the Internet. Kudos to Sony for finally addressing one of the biggest issues that the Xperia devices had in the past. The screen has a pixel density of 224 ppi which has sufficient & more then enough pixels for a screen of this size. It's a Full HD 1200*1920 panel & is simply gorgeous to look at. I know the resolution is low as compared to the likes of say Galaxy Note Pro series of tablets but that is because Sony has optimised the performance of the tablet along with a decent battery life which we will talk about later. Just remember the more pixels you have on the screen the harder the processor has to work to move those pixels around no matter what you are doing on the tablet. This can result in issues ranging from performance ( like the Notoriously laggy Galaxy Tab Series) to battery life & optimizations. I personally don't mind the extra pixels and welcome them with both hands but then execute it like Apple does. High powered screens with superb optimizations & humongous batteries.

Performance (4.5/5):

This beauty is fitted with a beast of a processor. Yes it's Qualcomms top General the Snapdragon 801 chipset clocked at 2.3 GHz backed up by 3GB RAM. That is some serious power meaning Z2 Tablet is powerful, fast and lag free. Graphically intensive games run smoothly on the large screen,thanks to Adreno 330 GPU, and apps launch almost instantly. In my experience of using the tablet I didn't encounter any lag or stutter. Everything including the UI runs butter smooth & once again hats off to Sony for great World class optimization ( something I would have liked Samsung to do with there Touchwiz). The tablet comes with Android KitKat 4.4.2 again the latest & greatest available. Front facing speakers sound nice & clear but not loud. Neverthless its very encouraging to see Sony putting the speakers at the front ( both in the Z2 phone and tablet ) of the device. More manufacturers should follow the lead by HTC & Sony in this particular area. All in all well done Sony for making a great performance tablet.

P. S :

The slight bit of issue that I have noticed is with the touch response on the screen & it mostly occurs when the tablet is plugged in for charging. The screen stops responding to any touch & freezes & then comes back on again after a few seconds. In using the tablet generally charged up ( not plugged in) you don't see the issue come up. I been looking at this particular problem in discussion forums & the problem is wide spread & apparently Sony are aware of it trying to work on a fix. To be honest I was kinda aware of this problem even before I bought the tablet but was told that the update was available but no update arrived out of the box.

Oops guess what!!! A system update (17.1.1.A.0.402) has just popped up on my tablet lol funny. Blessing in disguise I guess & our prayers have been answered. That's why I normally end up telling people to be patient when it comes to buying newly released products. Almost every product newly released has issues & big companies like Sony,HTC, Samsung & Apple would release an update fairly quickly. I would definitely update my review once I install the new update. If the performance improves & bugs are eradicated then I will definitely give the one star back that I took from the performance section earlier. Keep an eye on my review people :-)

Battery Life (5/5):

The battery capacity on the Z2 tablet is only 6000 mAh as compared to 8827 mAh for the iPad Air and 8220 mAh for Samsung's 10.1in tablets. It's shocking to see that on paper Sony is well behind but worry not people because you are going to get another shock here. This tablets battery life almost matches that of the iPad & betters the Galaxy Tab Pro series of tablets. I own an ipad (4th Gen) too & quiet frankly I am shocked how Sony have managed to squeeze so much juice out of a relatively smaller battery. I have taken various readings (screen shots as evidence) & been keeping a close eye on the battery life. I am simply blown away by the great stamina offered by this tablet. Been surfing, Facebook,syncing three email accounts non stop, installing apps,YouTube & what not but this magical battery holds it well together. No matter what you do it only goes down at the rate of 10% in approximately one hour of non stop usage. Now this matches the endurance of my ipad which I been using for nearly two years. Kudos to Sony again for giving you a world class battery life from a relatively smaller battery in this class. It's pretty reminiscent to the way HTC have managed to squeeze super endurance out of a smaller battery of 2600 mAh on the M8. It's very encouraging to see that the well known statement of " Bigger battery does not necessarily mean Better battery " is finally holding true after years of hard work & is definitely paying off.

Stamina mode is there to help last the tablet even longer once it's on standby mode. I have lived with Xperia devices in the past & tested the Stamina mode quite often & it works amazingly well. Once I done my extensive testing on the Z2 Tablet standby times on Stamina mode I will definitely update my review.

I have tried covering all I could in a simple & short way for all ages to understand. My views are solely based on my own experiences so far with the Z2 tablet. If you need to ask me anything please don't hesitate to leave a comment & I will be more then happy to help. Keep an eye on my review as I will updating it very shortly once I have installed the newly available update. Thanks

Update 30th May 2014:

Well I been testing the recently installed update & I have mostly good but some bad news as well. Let's start off with the most important bit first touchscreen response. Update has definitely improved the touchscreen response a lot. The screen doesn't freeze or becomes unresponsive anymore whether the tablet is on or off charge. But still the touchscreen response is not perfect as on the iPad. This is certainly the best Android tablet no question about it but not the best tablet in the world right now. But if you have your reasons like me ( ability to drag & drop data, expandable memory,open source nature of Android with benefits, worlds lightest & thinnest waterproof tablet and much more) then it can't get any better then this as far as Android is concerned.Until Sony improves there touchscreen response more ( which is quite possible with future updates) I will keep the performance rating to 4.5 /5 & not 5/5.

Battery continues to impress me still. I been testing the Sony Stamina Mode on standby & happy to report the following

Standby time ( From 100% charge ) left overnight with Stamina Mode Off: 10H 32M with battery down to 99% ( Highly power efficient Snapdragon 801)
Standby time ( From 100% charge ) left overnight with Stamina Mode On: 10H 32 M with battery down to 99 %

On both the Ocassions tablet was very impressive on standby times. The question that comes to your mind is: whats the point of Stamina Mode if standby times are the same? Well the Stamina Mode will cut off all Wireless connections if you were to leave them on. With Stamina Mode Off the wireless connections like Wifi, bluetooth & more will continue to run in the background resulting in more battery drain.

Stamina mode has all also been working well whilst the tablet was being used. From my understanding Stamina Mode was supposed to be working during standby mode only but it seems to me that Sony has definitely made some changes to it & now it works during the normal use as well. How did I find out? Well I been getting even better results with Stamina Mode on & the battery drain during normal use has been significantly less.

In short the battery continues to impress me & is still dropping at an average of 10% per hour with moderate / heavy use. Well done Sony for an excellent battery life with only 6000 mAh on board. Will update my review again once more updates hit the tablet. Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet 2014, but for reasons not in the main headlines., 18 Jun 2014
I have read most of the reviews for tablets either on ebay/amazon or magazines, but they all review the same key items to compare it with the iPad Air. I hope those reading my review will realise that I am highlighting other areas that maybe are not in the spotlight as much, but are worth noting for people undecided...
And by the way a love Apple product but it was the right decision to make the switch now, this tablet is a definite alternative for Apple lovers.

Storage.
Now people who say that 16Gb is enough for all iPads or the Google Nexus range are very much mistaken. And no amount of "it has cloud storage" will change that. Using Sky Go or the new BBC iPlayer/ITV player for on the go viewing will not handle 16Gb. Invariably you will sometimes use the download feature so you can watch the program without Internet connection. You need the SD card slot to expand the memory to an extra 64Gb for a reasonable price, something I can't say for the iPad Airs 64Gb or 128Gb tablet asking prices! Trust me, an SD card slot is simply a must.

Connectivity and Media Serving.
Now this could be showing why I think Android format is becoming much more superior to iOS, however although this area is a very Android item I think Sony products now definitely execute this much better than all other Android providers even Samsung . Now yes with Apple you can send pictures, movies or music from your tablet or phone to your TV screen of wifi stereo, however like all Apple products this comes at significant costs (Airport Express + Apple TV + iMac PC). With this tablet it is simply free, I can view all media from my PC hardrive from my tablet using a simply media server software on my PC, and I can also "throw" any media on my tablet to any smart TV screen or wifi speaker/stereo equipment and it doesn't matter who it's made by. I can "screen mirror" to which means when finding a good imdb or YouTube trailer I can watch also on the TV. Also the wireless printing is much better than airprint as instead of requiring an airprint enabled printer, you either cloud print or download wireless tablet printer plugin software for the particular printer you have. And if you are a iTunes must person, like I still am, you can use other 3rd party apps for iTunes remote or sync. Retune is a good remote for example. DLNA simply works and is free cause guess what, all electronic providers use it barring... Apple.
In short you don't need an Apple like "ecosystem" for this tablet to work, it will interconnect with any smart device or media server setup old fashioned PC. And will work between Android, Linux and Windows operations systems also.

App Store vs Play Store.
I've read so many articles saying you can't get apps on Android but I'm really starting to doubt if these people have ever used Android products or are just on the Apple wagon. Android store is virtually the same now, I am really struggling to find anything I was missing from Apple, and even if there is not the exact app, the alternatives are just as good. Let's say this simply, Android owns 80% of the smartphone market now and is rapidly selling more tablets than the Apple or Windows systems combined... Apps are easily more available now, it's a none argument.

Gaming.
This is like a PS4 in a tablet... And you can use your PS3 controllers with it. That's just cool period. Free downloaded game of FIFA14 anyone?

IR Sensor.
Yes this is the ultimate remote control. I can control my TV, marantz amplifier and CD from the 90s, and PS3 with this thing!

It's more than Waterproof.
This is not like another Sony product or even the new Samsung S5. It has a higher waterproofing factor, and also and more significantly, it means you can use the screen underwater. This is something that previous generation devices couldn't do. So Internet surfing in the shower is a possibility.

The Frame Bezels.
I keep hearing the frame is too fat compared with the new iPad Air. Yes it is bigger but look at the context of that argument. It is only on the eye/feel around 1cm on each side a wider bezel... The top and bottom is the same width. It really isn't that much! It's not a show stopper. And if that is so significant, then I would argue it is equally significant that the iPad Air has a smaller display at 9.7" not this Xperia Z2 10.1".

Weight.
This makes the iPad Air feel heavy. It's stupid light... in a good way.

Operating System.
Android feels much more new and fluid to use nowadays. The Apple format of all apps on the desktop, to me, does feel alittle old fashioned now. Plus with screen switching, small apps and widgets make multitasking is so much easier on Android than Apple.

NFC and Wireless Connection.
This is hard to explain. But look it up... Smart tags are really useful additions, plus Xperia Link for quick tethering to a mobile phone and not just for the Internet, the tablet can send and receive messages. It becomes a smartphone extension, a very nice addition.

For the 2 reviews struggling with screen responses, you have a manufacturing fault so why didn't you get a replacement first before saying it was rubbish. I've had Apple and all sorts of products that have failed on arrival, but have never said it's rubbish and wanted a refund. Get a working one before you judge it. There will always be Quality Defects cause they are made by humans...

Overall I think this is a wonderful table and I'm very happy with my purchase over an iPad Air.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... on the Xperia Z2 tablet you can sit and comfortably watch it without straining your eyes and it makes ..., 18 July 2014
Watching Netflix on the Xperia Z2 tablet you can sit and comfortably watch it without straining your eyes and it makes showing people YouTube videos much easier as there isn’t the need to crowd together so much to see the screen.
The Xperia Z2 tablet like other gadgets in the Xperia Z range is waterproof and dust resistant, but only when all the port cover flaps are closed properly. It does mean that this tablet is ideal for using by the pool or in the bath, so if you can read, play games or update social media without worrying that it will break if it gets wet.
Not only does the Xperia Z2 tablet have built in Wi-Fi, it is also Bluetooth compatible so it will work with in car systems to play music the same way that phones and MP3 players will.
One of the nicest features of the Xperia Z2 tablet is the three separate elements of volume control. You can set the volume level of the main speakers, notification alerts and alarms to be the same by using the volume buttons on the left hand side of the tablet, or you can tap the volume icon and set all three of them to being different.
The speakers in this tablet aren’t that great, the sound at high levels is rather tinny and the bass levels are fairly weak. Not only that but at full volume it isn’t the loudest tablet out there, so if you are going to use this tablet for streaming services or listening to music then headphones or external speakers are a good idea.
Despite the sound issues, this tablet is fantastic and a great for using at home or for work, all the different features it has make it practical and portable. It isn’t the most robust tablet in the world though, so be gentle with it and the port covers otherwise you may end up breaking it without trying too hard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally built!, 17 April 2014
So, I've had this thing for 2 weeks now. I have to say, you just don't get how thin and light this thing is until it comes!

Super thin, super light, packing a heavy amount of features. So I'll just hit the main points off one by one.

Waterproof - Yes, hard to believe, hard to do! But dunking it underwater in the bath tub does no hard what so ever.

Display - Very impressed. I wasn't sure how this live color LED thing was going to turn out, but it's brilliant, colors are just so vibrant, but they never look over saturated, it kind of reminds me of what plasma screens produce. At 1920x1200, it's not the sharpest display on the market, but compared with my last tablet at 2560x1600, this display definitely is the better of the two.

Sound - Very good, but not perfect. You wont struggle to hear this thing when listening to it around a group of people, it's loud. The fact it's got 2 front facing speakers is awesome, you really notice the stereo audio when watching films or listening to music. And the speakers never get accidentally muffled. However the sound lacks a little punch, just a little though.

Build - Thin but sturdy, there's no flexing or creaking in the body. The glass fit's perfectly in it's frame and there are no imperfections (as far as I can see) under it. Power and volume rockers are spot on, easy to get but won't be pressed by accident when in use.

Cameras - I'm not going to go into too much detail here. It's a decent shooter on the back, but it's not going to replace your phone or point and shoot. Front facing camera is also decent, works well with face unlock, and video calling. Average low light performance from both the cameras, pretty much the same as every other camera in a tablet I've seen in fact. It was actually fairly good for video capture, smooth and sharp.

Speed - Yes, it's fast. Very fast actually, the menus, web browsing, video, scrolling through apps is all buttery smooth. The multitasking is exceptional, I can have every single app I use on a regular basis opened at the same time, and when I go back through the apps, they are all still running in the background.

Battery - This is something that really surprised me. With a 6000mAh battery, and the typical 10 inch tab having about 9000mAh, I thought that battery life was going to be quire short. But somehow it's not, even without using the stamina mode it somehow manages to squeeze out round about the same amount of screen on time as an iPad, or Asus Transformer.

Connectivity - USB OTG support is there, so can plug pretty much any USB storage device in and expand the memory as much as you like. MHL 3.0 support, this is something I can't test as I don't have a 4K TV, however I have used it on my normal TV, and it works just fine. Takes a Micro SD, 64GB (although I'm reading around some places that say 128GB actually works also?) NFC is also on this device, which you don't see in a lot of tablets. The NFC on the tablet works on ether side too, so you don't have to turn it round to tap, you can just place your phone, or other NFC enabled device on top of the screen and they pair together.

Overall - Best tablet I've ever owned, best I've seen in fact. From the moment you pick it up, you know you're holding something very premium, and it performs equally as well to back that up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet so far. By far!, 22 Jun 2014
R. J. Barrow - See all my reviews
I've used a number of different tablets (notably the Asus Transformer series TF300T and TF700 and this is in a totally different class.

The tablet is so thin you could use it to cut cheese, and the whole thing just reeks of class. So much so that I am thinking of upgrading my whole image to keep up with my tablet! It is very responsive and just chews through everything you can throw at it, and I develop websites and apps. I throw a lot at it. Media streaming is a joy, even HD content (if your network can support it - go 5GHz!). No more. Stops. and. starts, and long...

...pauses in the middle of watching films. The screen uses Sony's Trilluminos Bravia technology and the colours just pop right out of the screen and slap you around the face. If anything the colours are a little too loud causing your neighbours to ask you to turn it down a little. And it has stereo speakers that can actually make a very decent and full sound scape.

The UI is none cluttered and Sony have kept shovelware to the minimum unlike some vendors out there.

Downsides are:

The screen resolution - 1980x1200 is not to be sniffed at but if they had gone that little step further...
Charging time. It takes forever!! But the results are worth it.

Buy it, you won't regret it. Unless, of course, they release the Z3 the day afterwards. Then you might be a little put out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 23 April 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is absolutely amazing. I didn't expect it to be this good. As a complete, total and utter Apple fan, I was more than ready to criticise when my other half decided that they were getting this instead of an iPad. I concede. I was wrong. This is as near to perfect as you get. The only downside being that in our so far limited testing, the battery runs down faster than you might expect.

This tablet is proper slim line, and it looks great. It is sleek and very smart. It looks expensive and it feels expensive. Just observing aesthetics, I think it would be hard to beat.

This tablet has a 10.1 inch full HD display. The contrast and screen clarity is fab, and watching films etc on here is a real pleasure.

Regarding the camera, there is a 2.2 megapixel front facing camera, and an 8.1 megapixel rear camera. Both seem so far to take good and clear pictures - I can download some as customer images if anyone is interested!

There are micro-SD and micro-USB ports on the top side. Handy to have. Remember that this device is supposed to be dust proof and water proof, so if you are intending to test those particular assets I suggest you close the ports up beforehand!... Now, I wouldn't want to try dropping it in the bath or anything, but it's kind of comforting to know that the accidental spillage of liquid shouldn't finish it off completely (yes, I dropped my partners last gadget in the bath... That's another story... But it wasn't good...).

The tablet has 3GB of RAM, has a 2.3GHz Qualcomm quad 4 processor and runs Android 4.4 kit kat. It works pleasingly speedily / fast. There isn't much waiting around to be done whilst it thinks. It's speed is truly exceptional, and compares extremely favourably to any tablet I've ever tried.

If you are looking for a tablet made by a renowned manufacturer, which performs really well / fast, and has all the features you would expect of a higher end tablet, then look no further.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Tablet, 28 April 2014
I didn't buy my Z2 from Amazon but i just thought I'd but in and say this has to be the best Android tablet this year (2014) so far. No one could ever meet a more fussy tech head than me, and believe me when I say I looked.... and waited.... looked some more..... and waited some more... almost a year actually!! Then i read on a very Good tech forum that the Z2's specs had leaked out, I waited, it was well worth it.
Hardly any bloatware unlike Samsung's tabs, i have nothing against Samsung either, in actual fact I had my heart set on the new tab pro 10.1 at first but there is so much bloatware on them its annoying, Sony has put just a few apps on, the type i typically understand are necessary and i think you'll find its not an overly complicated slate to set up and use. The one thing i do regret is not getting the LTE 3G model as at the time it was only 35 more on offer though there are enough wifi hotspots around nowadays. Ease of use 10/10. Screen clarity 9/10 keyboard 12/10!! Battery life-really good, to get a true value ide have to be on it most of the day. NOTE: charging is a nuisance due to the tight fitting usb cover, i strongly recommend the charging cradle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Android tablet, 11 April 2014
I'm coming from the first gen Xperia Tablet Z, and while I didn't really need to upgrade as the tablet was and still is very nice, I fancied doing it just for fun anyway.
Sony managed to make it look and feel much more of a quality item than before, with more metal visible on the sides and a less plasticy touch. You can notice the thinness but even more so just how light they made it. The screen seems to be improved and I can feel the speed improvement when browsing through a PDF, for a example.
As it's waterproof, like it's earlier brother, I can use it to watch BBC news as the tablet sits on the side of my bathtub.
Best Android tablet in looks and performance, hands down.
Edit 1: Forgot to mention that Sony finally answered my prayers and got rid of that silly shatter proof film over the screen, as on the original xperia tablet. Now the screen surface is glass, as it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony class act !, 17 April 2014
If your reading this your probably thinking Z2 or Apple air as they are the same price point. I have no brand loyalty and two of my children have I pads and I've had a I phone before. Apple products are great but you are locked into the world of Apple. Their products are well made and solid but brittle and you have to put all their devices in a case or they wont look good for long. The Sony Xperia Z2 is certainly made to be used with or without a case. It's very well made ultra thin and a joy to hold and use. The waterproof feature is really handy and once had you won't want to go back. Use it the bath in the rain and wash it with the dishes when it's dirty. The home button is on the screen so which ever way you hold it the buttons are at the bottom. The Z2 is very easy to set up and sync with anything and will sync with any TV,set top box,DVD player so you can use it as a remote for about anything. The screen is beautiful and as good as the human eye could detect with vibrant but not sickly colours. You won't be disappointed.
Had the Z2 a good few months now and it is superb. Get the Sony charging cradle to go with it too its great. I use mine without a cover because its so light and tactile without one and I leave it in the cradle when I'm not using it.