5.0 out of 5 stars Very good smart TV
Published 6 months ago by T. Bayrak

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Lip sync is terrible, picture and features great. Returned it after two days and got a Sony instead
Published 3 months ago by Dan B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good smart TV, 11 May 2014
T. Bayrak - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung 48-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Quad Core Wi-Fi Smart 3D LED TV (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
This is the 2014 version of the Samsung mid-range TVs. If you are upgrading from standard definition (SD) TVs, you will be very impressed with the new TV watching experience that comes with new smart TVs. You will find yourself zapping between YouTube, newspapers, apps, TV channels, your mobile phone gallery, and your PC hard disc. I have spent 4 days with this TV so far, and here are my views on each category;

The picture quality:
This is ridiculously good. It is good to a degree that now I can see the details and imperfections of the makeup the male actors are wearing. Now all these macho stars look like soap opera actors. There are TV series I have been watching for years. This is the first time I saw these pictures in HD quality on a 48'' screen. Now it feels like I am watching totally different productions. The soap opera effect is a problem new smart TV owners are experiencing. However, after exploring some menu options, I am now totally happy with what I see on my screen. The HD picture quality is so realistically good, that it gives some sense of 3D viewing on its own. Some other reviewers elsewhere say the TV has issues with darker black range of colors. They say the TV struggles showing the detail in deliberately dark scenes.I cannot say I can confirm that the said problem exists at all. Particularly the nature documentaries will blow your mind.

Sound quality:
This is impressive for a flat screen TV. Most buyers of the new smart TVs argue that what you will be getting on a slim built TV can only be awful. The salesmen in the shop will also try to persuade you to get a soundbar with your shopping. My recommendation is to take the TV home and try how it sounds in your living room without being biased by any advice by others. I know some people will have very high expectations about the audio performances of the devices they are getting, but if you are upgrading from a smaller size flat screen TV, and if your previous device was sounding OK, this one will sound much much better. I can clearly distinguish stereo sound separation, basses and lower range sound.

Smart TV functions:
I am still exploring these. At the time of writing this review, there was no BBC i-player app (Edit: Now the BBC i-player is working). Last year this time, the people were complaining similarly about the lack of certain apps on their 2013 Samsung smart TVs, but since these were all resolved as some software updates have arrived. It seems Samsung is generally doing better than for example LG, in terms of providing a good selection of apps to their users. The interface is easy to use. Unfortunately the user manual looks incomplete at best. I have heard similar complaints from other Samsung smart TV buyers. The user manual is not good.

Hardware you are getting:
2014 Samsung TVs come with a pointer style remote in addition to a standard remote. This pointer style remote seems to be Samsung's answer to LG's magic remote. When I was trying to decide which TV to buy, I was attracted to the LG's remote, because all reviewers said it was better than the Samsung's remote offering. Now it seems, Samsung did the same trick they often do to Apple phones, this time to an LGs innovative remote. I must admit this partially persuaded me to buy the Samsung option instead of the LG.
This years H6400 series TVs come with a quad-core CPU, so this should improve your overall smart TV experience. This was another selling point for me when considering last years F6400 series Samsung TVs are now much cheaper. This year's Samsung option also comes with 48'' screen size, when the last year one was 46''.

3D:
I like this, although I am not sure how often I will be using it. Most 3D films available as Blue-Ray, were on the cinemas and I have already seen them. I am a freeview TV user. I understand this summer onwards, there will be some 3D freeview TV broadcast. I think this will start with Wimbledon 2014 men's and women's finals.
Before you make your decision, you should make some background reading about active and passive 3D technology. Samsung's come with the active 3D technology while LG's with the passive. It should be a personal preference issue to decide between the two. There are benefits and limitations of each alternative.

Value for Money:
This will come back to what competitors are offering for similar price range, and how important the new features for you compared to last year's now cheaper models.
At the time of buying this TV, it was £699. The last year's option was £100 cheaper with dual core processor and 2'' smaller screen and without the pointer style remote. This, to me was enough reason to buy the 2014 model. LG seems like a good alternative, but I did not like the gray interface which comes with this brand. I simply think Samsung has a more refined and nicer looks in terms of both the exteriors and the user interface compared to the LG.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calibration Settings for 48" SAMSUNG UE48H6400, 20 July 2014
I bought this tv back in July and its absolutely phenomenal! After searching high and low for decent calibration settings and joining forums on various sites I found everyone to be thoroughly unhelpful and unnecessarily cryptic cockwombles.

After wasting countless hours trawling through reviews of people gloating about how good THEIR screens looked after they had finished calibrating but unwilling to share their settings, I thought i'd help others out and share all my own calibrated settings.

Stay clear of both avforums and whathifi, 99% of the people on those websites are overly sarcastic and generally obnoxious. Ask them for advice and they will happily tear you and your opinions to shreds. They love nothing more than questioning absolutely every comment you make, belittling the common folk and mocking people. They spend all day banging on about the size of their speakers and bragging about the overly expensive hardware they've got.

They're no better than spoiled schoolyard bullies, ganging up on newcomers. They were calling people that dont have dedicated bluray players "scrubs". I personally use a PS3, as do many others. I'm not flush with cash and I live by my means, I bought my PS3 as a cheap bluray player at the end of the day. The bluray player in my PS4 unfortunately sucks balls and the player controls are awful.

Its cringeworthy reading through their threads, its almost like a competition for them to see how much nonsensical technobabble they can cram into a paragraph, in a lame attempt to impress everyone. Harping on about uniformity, black crushing, crosstalk, vertical array banding, ghosting, clouding, torch-lighting, DSE, look how many "technical" words I know! the list goes on. Its a tv ffs, get a grip and enjoy it for what it is.(This is the point they smash the thumbs down button but I dont care, i think being honest and helpful to people is more important than a "Like").

The main issue with people on those forums is that they are more concerned with what other people think. A frequent example is if someone says that the god awful "Movie Mode" needs activating for the best possible picture. They will blindly turn it on, even if it looks crap, simply because everyone else says they should have it on, no logical reasoning whatsoever. Personally, my eyes aren't painted on and anyone with an ounce of sense can see that "Movie Mode" simply looks bad, regardless of the tv you try it on.

Despite dozens of people trying my settings and getting amazing results and considering the wealth of useful and more importantly factual information in this review, the only people that dont find my efforts useful and give it a thumbs-down are the scum from those forums, they're pathetic.

I dont understand why they consider it such a frigging taboo to share settings, they need to chill out. I guess its because they would rather charge someone an arm and a leg, instead of simply explaining or sharing settings.

Regardless of what i've watched, be it the "Dark Knight" films, Gravity or Monsters Inc, I see all levels of detail from inky black to brilliant white. The settings below will allow for very impressive, natural and realistic looking images. Blurays and HD sources will look ridiculous.

For anyone wondering, the tv can remember the different settings from one source to another, so you dont have to keep changing the settings based on what you are watching. Think of each signal "source" as having its own profile with unique settings. You just have to make sure that you have "Current Source" chosen beside "Apply Picture Mode" option.

Anyways my settings for HD, 3D and Standard Definition (SD) modes are as followed, with an explanation of why I have selected certain things. If i havent specified alternatives it means particular settings are identical, it should all hopefully be straightforward to follow though.

-----------------------------------------

(Fine adjustments were made to the settings below on 13/10/14)

Samsung TV Settings:

Ideal settings for HD, 3D, Built-in freeview (FV) and Standard Definition (SD) Content (I'd use the "SD" settings for Sky and Virgin sources):

TV firmware version as at 18/11/14 - version 2120

Picture Mode: Standard (All Sources)

Backlight: HD 19 / 3D 20 / FV 19 / SD 17

Contrast: HD 92 / 3D 72 / FV 81 / SD 87

Brightness: HD 48 / 3D 44 / FV 46 / SD 37

Sharpness: HD 35 / 3D 35 / FV 27 / SD 33

Colour: HD 48 / 3D 47 / FV 54 / SD 53

Tint: G50/R50 (All Sources)

(Press the ⇩ button on your tv remote when you get to the "Tint (G/R)" option, this will reveal all the other settings you will need to change)

Apply Picture Mode: Current Source <<<<< This is extremely important.

Picture Size: Screen Fit

Blue Offset +2
Red Gain -5
Green Gain -2
Blue Gain +3

White Balance 10-Point: (Available in Movie Mode)

10% R0 G+1 B0

Picture Options-

Colour Tone: Standard

Digital Clean View: HD Low / 3D off / FV off / SD off

MPEG Noise Filter: HD Low / 3D off / FV off / SD off

HDMI Black Level: HD Normal (unavailable in 3D and SD)

Film Mode: HD and 3D off (FV and SD "Auto2" - If standard definition, such as channels received over the air and most Sky/Virgin broadcasts)

Motion Plus: HD, 3D and FV Custom / (SD Smooth)

Blur Reduction: 4
Judder Reduction: 6

LED Clear Motion: Off (all sources)

------------------------------------------------------

PS3 Settings:

Video Settings
BD Internet: "Allow"
BD/DVD Cinema Conversion: "Automatic"
BD/DVD Upscaler: "Normal"
BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI): "Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr" for TVs, "RGB" for PC Monitors
BD 1080p 24Hz Output: "Automatic"

Display Settings-

RGB Full Range (HDMI): "Full"

This tv fully supports "Full RGB", even though it isn't a bluray standard. This means that the full range (colour space) from absolute black to the whitest white is a bit larger than normal. So instead of seeing just a black object on screen you can actually see any hidden fine detail in dark scenes.

A HD video should conform to a particular standard, this is referred to as "REC709" and this particular color gamut effectively sets absolute black at a value of 16 out of a maximum of 235. This means there are 219 gradients from black to white.

A typical video game console can actually display the full RGB color gamut (as can a monitor hooked up to a desktop computer) which sets black at 0 (instead of 16) and white at 255 (instead of 235), which is why the image appears to have much more contrast because there is more information between the deepest blacks and whitest whites. There are an additional 20 different gradients visible on this tv screen by turning RGB colour mode to "full".

To prove that this tv supports the full RGB range you can download a test card here:

If you can see the two top left squares on your tv when "Full" RGB is selected it means that the tv supports Full RGB. If you cant see all 28 squares regardless of how much you raise or lower the brightness it means the tv doesnt support the "Full" RGB range so you will need to keep the RGB setting as "Limited".

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): "On".

With these above settings I see no abnormalities using the various calibration discs ive used.

---------------------------------------------------

For anyone confused about the different settings for different "Sources"-

When you have a PS3/PS4 source on screen for example, just stick with the HD settings, even if you are watching DVDs on the console. I've split the settings between Freeview, and SD because Ive found that the channels I receive via the built-in freeview look considerably better than the channels I receive via my Virgin TiVo box. As the built-in freeview also includes about 12 HD channels too, I found that I could get a much better picture than using my seperate "SD" settings that I'd only suggest using for Sky or Virgin channels. This is because a majority of Sky and Virgin channels are in Standard Definition.

I watched "Dead Mans Shoes" via my external hard drive plugged into the USB slot on the tv and applied my "HD" settings to that "Source" because I'll most likely be watching HD content via a USB stick / external drive.

Ok, reasons for some of the above settings:

"Picture Mode" is set to "Standard", I honestly dont understand how anyone can say "Movie Mode" (glaucoma mode) looks the most natural or how any director intended for their film to be viewed. It just makes the image of whatever you are watching a yellowy orange blurred mess, as if you're looking through a layer of clingfilm and as if every scene is set in a desert. Its like changing the "temperature" of the tv from "Normal" to "Warm 2".

After applying all my settings, swap between "Standard" and "Movie Mode" then ask yourself which looks better, its obviously the Non-Movie Mode settings. Put "Ice Age" or "Frozen" on and check to see if the snow still looks white, it clearly doesnt, despite what the self proclaimed "experts" suggest. Both animations look like they were set in the Australian outback if you activate "Movie Mode" lol.

Sharpness is at 35 for HD and 3D content as this appears to be the maximum sharpness you can go up to before the image starts displaying strange artifacts & jagged edges on curved objects. In 3D mode ive had the sharpness as high as 70 and it still looks great, although the excessive sharpness creates edges around the different objects in the foreground and background, "Little Big Planet" springs to mind. In summary, i'd recommend setting sharpness no higher than 35 for HD and 3D viewing.

Some reviewers suggested having sharpness set at 0 so I tried it. It made my pin sharp realistic looking photos from the top of the Rockerfeller building in New York look like I was seeing the same photos through a few layers of clingfilm, all detail is lost if you put the sharpness at 0, so i wouldnt recommend it. 50 used to be the Neutral setting for Samsung tvs but this point appears to have been lowered to about 20.

Colour is at 48 (for HD sources) because if you increase it any higher colours start to slightly bleed into each other & it doesn't look realistic. If you think your colours look too dull I suggest watching "Speed Racer" on bluray. Its a daft film but I guarantee you wont have ever seen anything more colourful & vibrant, then you'll see that setting colour at 48 is more than sufficient for any film.

Backlight & contrast aren't quiet at maximum because I found that you actually lose fine detail in bright areas on the screen by having the settings cranked up to full. It also increases eye strain having the backlight on full. The backlight is set at 20 in 3D mode only, as the lenses on the glasses dim light from the tv quite a bit.

Tint is spot on at 50/50, I used a blue screen filter & carefully checked Red, Green, Blue , Yellow , Cyan & Magenta to ensure that none of these colours started to look like each other when the blue filter was on.

Gamma is at 0 (for non 3D sources) otherwise you lose detail in dark scenes during films.

Set the "colour space" & "white balance" exactly as I have done. These settings create the most accurate colours.

Digital Clean View & MPEG Noise filter are set at "Low" because I found these work the best. They remove the awful unintentional film grain you often notice in films. The worst thing I have ever seen for film grain is Expendables 2, it was absolutely unwatchable on my previous Samsung 6000 series tv. They also went OTT with the film grain in 300 on bluray, the DVD looks amazing in comparison.

The only time ive found film grain acceptable was when watching "Band of Brothers" & "The Pacific", because they were meant to be watched like that.

For the many films I have watched since getting this TV, such as the three Dark Knight films, Avatar, Life of Pi, Prometheus, & StarTrek into Darkness ( to name but a few) they all look absolutely amazing. The very fine unintentional film grain that they have is removed by having both "Digital Clean View" and "MPEG Noise Filter" set at "Low" or "Auto". I found that the "High" options reduce the overall detail of the screen, it makes everything look much softer and generally awful, so I avoid "High", I only used the "high" option when recently rewatching "Expendables2".

HDMI Black level needs to be set to "Normal". Dont set it too "High" because you can lose a ridiculous amount of detail in darker scenes. I accidentally had it set at "Low" instead of "Normal" while I was watching "The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug" & I kicked myself halfway through watching it. I kept wondering why the screen was so frigging dark, it was almost unwatchable because of the black level being set incorrectly.

Motion plus set to "Smooth" makes films look great. Im still torn between "Smooth" & "Clear", in various reviews people have suggested changing it to "Clear" but there's barely any difference. The only stuttering of the picture that I have seen by having it set to "Smooth" was during the 2nd Hobbit film. It occured when there was a huge sweeping camera movement from right to left, overlooking a castle. But that's the only time ive experienced it & its not that distracting.

Of the preset modes, Clear and "Custom" could be the best option available. The others generate motion artefacts, seen around certain moving objects as a smudgy, shadowy outline. "Clear" does cause some artefacting but it's hardly noticeable.

I would personally suggest setting Blur Reduction to 4 and Judder reduction to 6 if you want to choose "Custom"; this way you'll maximise moving resolution and eliminate artefacts altogether.

Watching HD content with the above custom settings makes for a very smooth and enjoyable viewing experience. I sat and watched "The Penguin King 3D" and it felt as though I was there, sat watching the icy ocean lapping the coastline, its quite amazing. "Safari 3D" also looks ridiculous, you feel as though you can reach out and pat the elephants lol.

If you experience any stuttering to the image on screen and have a ps3, try changing the "BD 1080p 24Hz Output" to "off" because the PS3 is said to sometimes struggle choosing the correct mode to output to tvs & could result in a choppy viewing experience, This would be especially noticible in sweeping camera movements.

For anyone grumbling about brightness being too high, lower the backlight rather than any of my other calibrated settings. It just means that you wont be able to see fine detail in darker scenes and the whites will look a bit dull.
--------------------------------------------

Are you experiencing any lag during games?

If you encounter any annoying screen lag during particular games you could try turning "Game Mode" on. You can locate this on your tv settings under: System > General > Game mode.

God knows why its buried under the tvs system settings but it will reduce the screen lag in both [Game] and [PC] modes down to just 42.7ms as a Leo Bodnar input lag figure (www.leobodnar.com), at the cost of giving you a slightly degraded image. This will provide you with a more than acceptable if not spectacular responsiveness for playing PC or console games. All image processing is effectively turned off when "Game Mode" is activated.

I tested this out whilst playing Deadspace 3 on PS3 and the Silent Hill playable trailer ("P.T") on the PS4 and the difference is amazing. The input from your controller is almost instantaneous and the screen motion is extremely smooth and responsive.

As a comparison, LCD computer monitors have zero screen lag. The Lag in "Movie" mode on this tv is almost twice as high at 84ms.

>>> A word of caution:

If you try turning "Game Mode" on while watching regular tv it will overwrite all your "SD" source settings with the "HD" ones!, this means you would need to faff about calibrating the tv again from scratch, so i'd highly recommend that you dont try it. The "Game Mode" only works when you have a games console on.

------------------------

Miscellaneous useful information:

If you want the best HDMI cable that money can buy (at a decent price) look no further than this:

Its the "IBRA® 3m High Speed PRO GOLD RED", the cable is actually gun metal (not red) with gold tips, as indicated in the product photo. It is a category 1.4a 3D capable high speed braided cable. It supports resolutions up to and above 4k and has a ridiculous bandwidth of 18gb per second. I have everything that goes in and out of my Sony STRDH810 amp connected with these amazing cables and they are second to none. These cables are as good as the 80 quid "Monster" ones you can get robbed for.

At the end of the day the image on your tv is only as good as the crappiest part in your entire setup, and for a majority of people its simply the hdmi cable that needs upgrading.

If you want to try out some free 3D content and have the tv connected to wifi, you can access a lot of decent stuff via the "Samsung Hub". You will need to go into the hub and download the "Explore 3D" app. It should then appear under "MY APPS". You can find everything from nature to motorsports, its got something for everybody. There are quite a few 50 minute+ documentaries on there that retail around £10 online, all for free in the Samsung Hub.

There is also another app called "3D Smart Tv" it appears to loop random relaxing 3D scenes, Ive sat and watched a stream in a forest for a bit, its very good.

If you have any backup 3D films or content, be it "side by side" or "top to bottom" (either a horizontal or vertical split) you can manually split the image either way by going into the tvs 3D settings. You can also turn standard 2D content into 3D too, its actually not bad.

This tv also comes with 2 very useful USB ports. One is meant for high powered devices such as external hard drives and the other is suitable for memory sticks / thumb drives. The tv can actually play the following types of files without any faffing about: AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, MTS and M2TS) and codecs (AVC-HD, H.264, X.264, WMV, DivX and Xvid. So I no longer have to waste countless hours converting MKV content into PS3/4 friendly file types, I can just drag them onto a memory stick or my 1tb external hard drive and play them through the tv without having to play anything through a console or seperate player, simply awesome.

Note that both my devices were already formatted as Fat32, rather than NTFS, and both already had films on them. One user noted that the tv asked if he wanted to format whatever he plugged in. (This could be if your device has a NTFS file structure, so be careful).

I did attempt to play 4k demos via the memory stick but the tv tells you that the resolution is too high for playback.

I also discovered that the tv supports subtitles when watching media via the USB ports, so I'm actually using this over the PS3 because of the annoying Spanish sections in Breaking Bad that dont appear to have English subtitles...The PS4 functionality is laughable, it can't play DVDs, doesn't support MP3s, there's no music player built into the console whatsoever. But the biggest let down is no support for playing media via a usb thumb stick or external hard drive. Its basically a 300 quid games console, and thats it.

For anyone wondering about actual power consumption, when the tv is in stand-by, it uses no more than 1 Watt, and a maximum of 94 Watts when up and running. The tv basically uses no more power than a lightbulb lol, its incredible. After using all my suggested tv settings, my tv uses around 60 watts of power, the only time you would see usage of 94 watts is if you had the retina-burning backlight, contrast and brightness all the way up to the maximum setting.

"BOOK ME" followed by a green circle:

If anyone ever sees "BOOK ME" in the top right hand corner of the screen whilst watching a bluray, you will need to turn the tv off and back on again. This occurs if you leave the built-in freeview channel on a HD BBC program... the BBC in all their wisdom introduced this garbage recently. It pops up during trailers for future shows and apparently it allows you to set up a reminder to watch the next show. Unfortunately this BS appears on every source because the tv tuner is always on. I experienced this recently when I was watching a film and thought wtf is this?

So I'd recommend leaving the freeview channel set to a non-HD BBC channel if you're not going to be watching regular tv, if at all.

All the technical specifications as well as the most recent firmware update for the tv can be located on the Samsung website here: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE48H6400AKXXU

---------------------------

Are you debating whether to get a 4k tv?:

One of my mates recently spent £1300 on a 48" 4k Samsung tv (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KAYSQ16/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1413723087&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165) and the picture on this 1080p tv honestly looks better than that. As you can see on the graph at the following link:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html unless you have at least a 48" 4k tv and are sat within 5 feet of the screen, your eyes can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k. He showed me an episode of "Breaking Bad" via a 4k stream in Netflix and it seriously wasn't all that. Until 4k media becomes more mainstream there just isn't currently a way of displaying 4k content via streaming unless you have at least a 100megabyte per second internet connection, because that is the sort of data you would need to be streaming to get any benefit from 4k resolution.

1080p content streamed from a bluray disc can typically be read at around a maximum speed of 35megabytes a second, whereas the maximum bit rate of a netflix 4k stream is only 8megabytes a second. There simply isnt enough data being streamed to hold all that fine detail held within four thousand pixels. You also currently wont find 4k media on bluray, simply because there isn't enough storage space on a bluray disc to hold a full length film. 4k blurays are meant to be out during 2015 but the majority of TV shows are still filmed and produced at 1080p.

I just thought I would mention the facts about 4k so people don't unnecessarily pay twice the price for an identical picture on screen. The only main differences on the 4k tv are the "ultraclear" screen, so it wasn't possible to see any reflections in it, and the 1000hz refresh rate, resulting in a very smooth image. Do yourself a favour, simply dim your room lights whilst watching this non-4k tv and save yourself 700 quid.

----------------------------------------

Please dont start lecturing me about the origins of sharpness & how it doesn't actually sharpen the image, I dont care & ive had it rammed down my throat on avforums. If raising the sharpness enhances definition of objects on screen i consider it to be a benefit. A 3D film isnt really showing a three dimensional object in front of us but if it tricks our brain into believing it is, who cares?

Im simply sharing my own settings with the common folk that can't justify buying a seven thousand quid camera that just measures screen brightness, those that can't be bothered spending hours calibrating their own tvs or paying someone "qualified" hundreds to do it for them.

This review and list of settings isnt for the eyes of people with "calibration" qualifications, so move along, go crawl back under your bridge and troll someone that cares because I wont entertain it.

Im sure that all the visitors of this website are big boys & girls, they know how to change their tv settings. If my suggestions dont work well on their own screens its no big deal and wont brick a tv... settings can be reset back to defaults. My settings are at least a good starting point for most people to fine tune to their own liking.

---------------------

Anyways, I hope my above information and settings prove useful to people. Its a shame reviewers on other sites have to be so cryptic, hostile and unhelpful.

I calibrated my tv by using the "Disney WOW" calibration bluray that I imported from America. I have found that uncalibrated screens tend to have too much red and this results in an ever so slight pink hue to the screen when looking at whats meant to be "absolute white".

The 2 point and 10 point fine tuning of the colours was done by a "Sencore OTC1000" Meter with "AV Foundry VideoForge Source" and Direct Display Control. These devices tend to retail at around $7000 and are incredibly accurate.

Obviously not everyones eyes are the same, so some fine tuning might be required. My idea of a particular colour might not be the same as what you see. Im not colour blind though.

Im very happy with my settings & when ive had people round to the house & they see the quality of the image on screen they cant get their heads around it. They say its like looking through a window/portal or as if they are in front of the actors. As far as im concerned, if a persons eyes cant tell the difference between a film & real life, i'd consider that mission accomplished :)

If anyone does try out my settings above, why not leave a comment and let me know how you get on. Im also interested in what people would consider their best "reference" quality blurays are. Im always looking to expand my library of blurays.

Visually, some of the best thing's Ive ever seen are: Life of Pi, Gravity and Avatar. Other excellent transfers are Zulu, Armageddon, Sin City and the Frozen animation by Disney. Frozen really shows off this tvs inky blacks and brilliant whites, a must watch!

The David Attenborough boxset, in particular "Kingdom of Plants 3D" is amongst the best 3D ive seen. I showed it to a mate the other day and his jaw dropped, he said it was unreal lol.

If you have any questions, leave a comment and I'll help you out :)

Surely my epic wall of text is at least worth a "cool story bro" lol.

Billy

5.0 out of 5 stars top range telly at mid range price., 6 Jun 2014
Im not a reviewer so i'll do my best. So, in the last 3 years I've had as many tvs. LG 3dtv poor black levels. Panasonisic better but not quite what I wanted so I went for the samsung ue48h6400, bang on, a superb picture great colours but most importantly deep blacks which just makes bluray movies all that sexy. Also it has lots of great apps, great 3d which although is active it does'nt flicker and a fantastic little remote. All in all this tv for the price tag of 599.00 is a bargain. For those deep blacks just make sure you have rgb settings on your bluray player or playstation set to full.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung create a winner!, 4 Sep 2014
Mr. Neil D. Hoskins "oggy_neil" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This is one hell of a TV - the picture and sound quality is fantastic, both need a little tweaking but I don't think I'll be putting my 5.1 system against it. The Smart Hub has really come on, it's quick, easy to use and feature rich. The remote controls (yes, there are two) are easy to use but if probably best to get a phone app to replace them both.

It's quite light for it's size so the wall bracket I bought for £7 on Amazon is more than enough for it - phew!

All the ports are conveniently located and there are plenty of them - 4 HDMI is a bonus. I haven't tested the USB port and video file format compatibility but I'm using Servio anyway so not too worried.

All in all, if you want a great quality 48" TV - this is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to set up and connect to wifi, 15 Oct 2014
had no problems ,easy to set up and connect to wifi,and looks stunning ! iplayer,youtube no problems with lip synch.i am not connected to any tv box like sky etc so cant comment on that.

amazon service is very Good too

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Picture, Fantastic Features, Fantastic Price!, 15 Sep 2014
A. Boylett "andyboylett" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Having wanted a new Smart TV for a while now, an unforeseen tax rebate meant I could treat myself. Having done a little research into best TVs for under £1000, I found the UE48H6400 which seemed to be picking up great reviews generally. Listed on the Samsung site for £999 rep, I was amazed, after a bit of web searching, I was shocked to find the TV for around £550 on Amazon.

I decided instead to support my local store and went to Currys (who were £100 more expensive) to give them the opportunity to price match and was told in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't and wouldn't offer even a discount to meet me half way on the basis of them making nothing on the TV and my £550 not being of interest to them as they turned over £60k a day! Won't be returning to Currys needless to say.

To cut a long story short, I ended up buying via Tesco's direct as they had stock available and were still competitive at around £575 including special delivery.

Anyway, enough of the shopping tales, the TV itself is awesome! There are plenty of reviews here going into the detail of the blackness, contract, system setting etc and I'm not qualified to comment. All I know is that from the off, the screen looked amazing out of the box. It made my 5 year old Panasonic look like a dinosaur in every way, from looks, to picture quality, to sound quality, to features like internet access, voice control and apps like Netflix straight to the TV. This really is a home entertainment hub.

The TV also features active 3D, a feature we didn't have on the last TV, and having watched Prometheus on Skys 3D service now, I can really say how good the system is. The picture was sharp all around and I barely noticed the glasses (2 free pairs are supplied with the set) once I had them on as they were so comfortable.

The picture quality is the highlight though. My wife and I find ourselves stopping shows and just to admire some of the images and colours. It really is superb and I'm sure we will stay with this set quite happily until UHD becomes the norm (because once you see a UHD picture, there really is no comparison).

Back to this though. It also come with an infrared dongle (for want of a better word) that you can put in front of your Sky box so that you can control Sky through the TV remote controls and the voice control of the set (changing channels and pausing/rewinding etc). The voice control is a bit of a gimmick but it's fun to play with.

The TV also has a "Football mode" which just seemed to up the colour contrast and ruin the sound, so I'm not sure if I'll be using that too often. I think you can also record your own highlights and bits of commentary but why you would really want to do that is beyond me?

The wireless features of the TV are really good too, connecting up to our wireless router with the minimum of fuss and then to our mobile devices (to control things like Youtube from our phones or laptop). I also hooked up my Apple bluetooth keyboard to the TV as well to help typing things into the web browser as the "smart" remote I found fiddly to use.

I'm still finding my way around the TV and the onscreen manual helps with that (although I'm an old fashioned boy and prefer a paper manual given a choice). I'm sure that the TV can probably do loads more that I haven't even discovered yet but, all in all this was a fantastic buy and, for the money, I think an unbeatable one.

Buy one and share the love. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV well featured , slim and unobtrusive., 11 July 2014
The TV is as described providing a decent picture and good access to the BBC i-player and the other catchup services. I have also been able to stream audio and video from my PCs and it will play MP3 tracks directly from a USB memory stick. The sound quality is very good for a flat screen TV. I have hung it on the wall using the Samsung wall brackets and it looks quite unobtrusive in our sitting room.

The voice activated remote is a quite useful and the pointing device is much easier to use than a typical TV remote control for entering specific internet search details. The browser seems to support standard web sites quite well although I guess it would not be able to properly display web sites that use flash.

If you insert a USB memory stick into the USB port you can select and record programs, from the standard Freeview EPG just like a hard disc recorder and pause and back wind live programs.

The 3D works well and the set comes with two pairs of 3D glasses which are not as substantial as the equivalent Panasonic 3D glasses, but do the job. They are not re-chargeble although I guess the batteries that are supplied with them will last quite a long time.

All in all a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning!!!, 23 Sep 2014
After buying from about five sellers between amazon and ebay including some seller with a fake address within London because I checked and amazon is still facilitating the sales from that company! This completely surprises me, I eventually bought it and collected it from PC World Staples corner for more £599!
This TV set dwarfs anything screen I have ever seen since! I have also tried out the 2 to 3D conversion which is so accurate and amazing! Especially on proper HD videos. The set makes me feel like I have not watched that movie before even though I have on my full HD laptop screen ;-)
I would definitely recommend this to anybody looking to buy a TV without the funds for those curved 4K ones

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung makes great TV's that are best in their class, 28 Sep 2014
Christopher J. Cowen (Glenville, PA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Samsung makes great TV's that surpass every other manufacturer in their class. I have two Samsung's in my house and I can tell you the image is beautiful. This TV has an LED screen and in my opinion this the way to go (LED is similar to LCD its back-lit better so that they are no dark spots on the screen).

Now add in that this TV can directly connect to the internet and I'm sold. TV's of this class have never been cheaper.

One thing that I have found with TV's that its very important to actually look at the TV in person. Now when you look at the TV's, go to a place like Walmart to see them, because many times specialty stores like Best Buy play with the lighting controls on the TV and in the store to skew the image to there advantage. Once you look at the TV simply look and decide which one looks better to you.

The next step to take into consideration is features. Here are a few that come with this TV:

This Samsung comes with Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.

As far as outputs most of these TV's will come with more than enough Inputs and Outputs. This TV comes with 3 HDMI Audio/Video In, 1 Ethernet LAN In/Out, 1 RCA Component Audio/Video In amd 1 Digital Coaxial Audio Out.

Next thing when shopping for a TV is in box technology. Here are some of the features of this TV:

With this Smart HDTV there is a full web browser with WiFi built-in apps made for TV. Some of the apps this TV features is Hulu Plus, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, and Twitter. Browse the web while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online, all on one screen with this Samsung.

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted., 14 Sep 2014
I am absolutely delighted with this TV. Everything about it is brilliant. Quality, picture, sound & features are by far the best I've had on any previous TV's . Comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses including batteries which give an excellent 3D viewing experience. So overall, I am extremely happy & would definitely recommend this TV especially for the price,I really can't fault it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›