5.0 out of 5 stars Very good smart TV
Published 4 months ago by T. Bayrak

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Lip sync is terrible, picture and features great. Returned it after two days and got a Sony instead
Published 1 month ago by Dan B

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good smart TV, 11 May 2014
T. Bayrak - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung 48-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Quad Core Wi-Fi Smart 3D LED TV (Electronics)
This is the 2014 version of the Samsung mid-range TVs. If you are upgrading from standard definition (SD) TVs, you will be very impressed with the new TV watching experience that comes with new smart TVs. You will find yourself zapping between YouTube, newspapers, apps, TV channels, your mobile phone gallery, and your PC hard disc. I have spent 4 days with this TV so far, and here are my views on each category;

The picture quality:
This is ridiculously good. It is good to a degree that now I can see the details and imperfections of the makeup the male actors are wearing. Now all these macho stars look like soap opera actors. There are TV series I have been watching for years. This is the first time I saw these pictures in HD quality on a 48'' screen. Now it feels like I am watching totally different productions. The soap opera effect is a problem new smart TV owners are experiencing. However, after exploring some menu options, I am now totally happy with what I see on my screen. The HD picture quality is so realistically good, that it gives some sense of 3D viewing on its own. Some other reviewers elsewhere say the TV has issues with darker black range of colors. They say the TV struggles showing the detail in deliberately dark scenes.I cannot say I can confirm that the said problem exists at all. Particularly the nature documentaries will blow your mind.

Sound quality:
This is impressive for a flat screen TV. Most buyers of the new smart TVs argue that what you will be getting on a slim built TV can only be awful. The salesmen in the shop will also try to persuade you to get a soundbar with your shopping. My recommendation is to take the TV home and try how it sounds in your living room without being biased by any advice by others. I know some people will have very high expectations about the audio performances of the devices they are getting, but if you are upgrading from a smaller size flat screen TV, and if your previous device was sounding OK, this one will sound much much better. I can clearly distinguish stereo sound separation, basses and lower range sound.

Smart TV functions:
I am still exploring these. At the time of writing this review, there was no BBC i-player app (Edit: Now the BBC i-player is working). Last year this time, the people were complaining similarly about the lack of certain apps on their 2013 Samsung smart TVs, but since these were all resolved as some software updates have arrived. It seems Samsung is generally doing better than for example LG, in terms of providing a good selection of apps to their users. The interface is easy to use. Unfortunately the user manual looks incomplete at best. I have heard similar complaints from other Samsung smart TV buyers. The user manual is not good.

Hardware you are getting:
2014 Samsung TVs come with a pointer style remote in addition to a standard remote. This pointer style remote seems to be Samsung's answer to LG's magic remote. When I was trying to decide which TV to buy, I was attracted to the LG's remote, because all reviewers said it was better than the Samsung's remote offering. Now it seems, Samsung did the same trick they often do to Apple phones, this time to an LGs innovative remote. I must admit this partially persuaded me to buy the Samsung option instead of the LG.
This years H6400 series TVs come with a quad-core CPU, so this should improve your overall smart TV experience. This was another selling point for me when considering last years F6400 series Samsung TVs are now much cheaper. This year's Samsung option also comes with 48'' screen size, when the last year one was 46''.

3D:
I like this, although I am not sure how often I will be using it. Most 3D films available as Blue-Ray, were on the cinemas and I have already seen them. I am a freeview TV user. I understand this summer onwards, there will be some 3D freeview TV broadcast. I think this will start with Wimbledon 2014 men's and women's finals.
Before you make your decision, you should make some background reading about active and passive 3D technology. Samsung's come with the active 3D technology while LG's with the passive. It should be a personal preference issue to decide between the two. There are benefits and limitations of each alternative.

Value for Money:
This will come back to what competitors are offering for similar price range, and how important the new features for you compared to last year's now cheaper models.
At the time of buying this TV, it was £699. The last year's option was £100 cheaper with dual core processor and 2'' smaller screen and without the pointer style remote. This, to me was enough reason to buy the 2014 model. LG seems like a good alternative, but I did not like the gray interface which comes with this brand. I simply think Samsung has a more refined and nicer looks in terms of both the exteriors and the user interface compared to the LG.

5.0 out of 5 stars top range telly at mid range price., 6 Jun 2014
Im not a reviewer so i'll do my best. So, in the last 3 years I've had as many tvs. LG 3dtv poor black levels. Panasonisic better but not quite what I wanted so I went for the samsung ue48h6400, bang on, a superb picture great colours but most importantly deep blacks which just makes bluray movies all that sexy. Also it has lots of great apps, great 3d which although is active it does'nt flicker and a fantastic little remote. All in all this tv for the price tag of 599.00 is a bargain. For those deep blacks just make sure you have rgb settings on your bluray player or playstation set to full.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calibration Settings for 48" SAMSUNG UE48H6400, 20 July 2014
I bought this tv back in July & its absolutely phenomenal! After searching high & low for decent calibration settings & joining forums on various sites I found everyone to be thoroughly unhelpful & unnecessarily cryptic cockwombles.

After wasting countless hours trawling through reviews of people gloating about how good THEIR screens looked after they had finished calibrating but unwilling to share their settings, I thought i'd help others out & share my own calibrated settings.

Stay clear of both avforums & whathifi, they're just full of sarcastic toffs that will tear you and your opinions to shreds. They love nothing more than questioning absolutely every comment you make, belittling the common folk & mocking people. They're no better than spoiled schoolyard bullys that were born with silver spoons in their mouths, ganging up on newcomers. They were calling the people that dont have dedicated bluray players "scrubs", I personally use a PS3, as do many others.

The sad cranks on those forums spend all day jerking each other off, banging on about the size of their speakers and bragging about the overly expensive hardware they've got.

Despite numerous people trying my settings and getting amazing results and considering the wealth of useful and factual information in my review, the only people that dont find this review useful and give it a thumbs-down are the scum from those forums, they're pathetic.

I dont understand why they consider it such a frigging taboo to share settings, they need to get a grip.

At the end of the day, the settings below will allow for very impressive, natural & realistic looking images.

Regardless of the films ive watched, be it The Dark Knight Rises, Gravity or Monsters vs Aliens, I see all levels of detail from inky black to brilliant white. The settings below will make blurays & HD sources look fantastic.

Rather than use a standalone bluray player I just play everything through an up-to-date PS3. The bluray player in my PS4 sucks balls.

For anyone wondering, the tv can remember the different settings from one source to another, so you dont have to keep changing the settings based on what you are watching. Think of each signal "source" as having its own profile with unique settings. You just have to make sure that you have "Current Source" chosen beside "Apply Picture Mode" option.

Anyways my settings for HD, 3D and Standard Definition (SD) modes are as followed, with an explanation of why I have selected certain things. If i havent specified alternatives it means settings for 2D & 3D are identical. For the Non-HD content (such as signals from a Sky or Virgin TiVo box) I've put the settings in brackets after "SD".

-----------------------------------------

PS3 Settings:

Video Settings
BD Internet: "Allow"
BD/DVD Cinema Conversion: "Automatic"
BD/DVD Upscaler: "Normal"
BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI): "Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr" for TVs, "RGB" for PC Monitors
BD 1080p 24Hz Output: "Automatic"

Display Settings-

RGB Full Range (HDMI): "Full"

This tv fully supports "Full RGB", even though it isn't a bluray standard. This means that the full range (colour space) from absolute black to the whitest white is a bit larger than normal. So instead of seeing just a black object on screen you can actually see any hidden fine detail in dark scenes.

A HD video should conform to a particular standard, this is referred to as "REC709" and this particular color gamut effectively sets absolute black at a value of 16 out of a maximum of 235. This means there are 219 gradients from black to white.

A typical video game console can actually display the full RGB color gamut (as can a monitor hooked up to a desktop computer) which sets black at 0 (instead of 16) and white at 255 (instead of 235), which is why the image appears to have much more contrast because there is more information between the deepest blacks and whitest whites. There are an additional 20 different gradients visible on this tv screen by turning RGB colour mode to "full".

To prove that this tv supports the full RGB range you can download a test card here:

If you can see the two top left squares on your tv when "Full" RGB is selected it means that the tv supports Full RGB. If you cant see all 28 squares regardless of how much you raise or lower the brightness it means the tv doesnt support the "Full" RGB range so you will need to keep the RGB setting as "Limited".

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): "On".

With these above settings I see no abnormalities using the various calibration discs ive used.

----------------------------------

Samsung TV - For HD, 3D and Standard Definition (SD) Content:

TV firmware version as at 21/08/14 - version 2115

Picture Mode: Standard

Backlight: HD 19 / 3D 20 / (SD 17)

Contrast: HD 92 / 3D 72 / (SD 82)

Brightness: HD 48 / 3D 44 / (SD 47)

Sharpness: HD 35 / 3D 35 / (SD 59)

Colour: HD 48 / 3D 47 / (SD 47)

Tint: G50/R50

Apply Picture Mode: Current Source <<<<< This is extremely important.

Picture Size: Screen Fit

----------------------------------------

Advanced Settings-

Dynamic Contrast: HD Off / 3D Low / (SD Low)

Black Tone: HD Off / (SD Dark)

Flesh Tone: 0

Blue Offset +2
Red Gain -5
Green Gain -2
Blue Gain +3

White Balance 10-Point: (Available in Movie Mode)

10% R0 G+1 B0
70% R-1 G-2 B-2
80% R0 G+2 B0
90% R+1 G0 B0
100% R+2 G0 B0

Gamma: HD 0 / 3D +1 / (SD 0)

Motion Lighting: Off

-------------------------------------

Picture Options-

Colour Tone: Standard

Digital Clean View: HD Low / 3D off / (SD Auto)

MPEG Noise Filter: HD Low / 3D off / (SD Auto)

HDMI Black Level: HD Normal (unavailable in 3D)

Film Mode: HD off (SD Auto2 - If standard definition, such as tv broadcasts)

Motion Plus: Custom / (SD Smooth)

Blur Reduction: 4
Judder Reduction: 6
LED Clear Motion: Off

----------------------------------

Ok, reasons for some of the above settings:

If you experience any stuttering to the image on screen and have a ps3, try changing the "BD 1080p 24Hz Output" to "off" because the PS3 is said to sometimes struggle choosing the correct mode to output to tvs & could result in a choppy viewing experience, This would be especially noticible in sweeping camera movements.

"Picture Mode" is set to "Standard", I honestly dont understand how anyone can say "Movie Mode" (glaucoma mode) looks the most natural or how the director intended for the film to be viewed. It just makes the image of whatever you are watching a yellow/orange blurred mess, as if you're looking through a layer of clingfilm and as if every scene is set in a desert.

After applying all my settings, swap between "Standard" and "Movie Mode" then ask yourself which looks better, its obviously the non-Movie Mode settings. Put "Ice Age" or "Frozen" on and tell me if the snow still looks white lol, it clearly doesnt, despite what the self proclaimed "experts" suggest. Both animations look like they were set in the Australian outback if you use the "far superior" "Movie Mode" lol.

Sharpness is at 35 for HD and 3D content as this appears to be the maximum sharpness you can go up to before the image starts displaying strange artifacts & jagged edges on curved objects. In 3D mode ive had the sharpness as high as 70 and it still looks mint, it just makes whatever youre watching look like collage, because excessive sharpness creates edges around the different objects in the foreground and background. So yeah, id recommend sticking to the 35 mark.

Some reviewers suggested having sharpness set at 0 so I tried it. It made my pin sharp realistic looking photos from the top of the Rockerfeller building in New York look like I was seeing the same photos through a few layers of clingfilm, all detail is lost if you put the sharpness at 0, so dont do it. 50 is the Neutral setting for Samsung tvs.

Colour is at 48 (for HD sources) because if you increase it any higher colours start to slightly bleed into each other & it doesn't look realistic. If you think your colours look too dull I suggest watching "Speed Racer" on bluray. Its a daft film but I guarantee you wont have ever seen anything more colourful & vibrant, then you'll see that setting colour at 48 is more than sufficient for any film.

Backlight & contrast aren't quiet at maximum because I found that you actually lose fine detail in bright areas on the screen by having the settings cranked up to full. It also increases eye strain having the backlight on full. The backlight is set at 20 in 3D mode only, as the lenses on the glasses dim light quite a bit.

Tint is spot on at 50/50, I used a blue screen filter & carefully checked Red, Green, Blue , Yellow , Cyan & Magenta to ensure that none of these colours started to look like each other when the blue filter was on.

Gamma is at 0 (for non 3D sources) otherwise you lose detail in dark scenes during films.

Set the colour space & white balance exactly as I have done. These settings create the most accurate colours.

Digital Clean View & MPEG Noise filter are set to "Low" because I found these work the best. They remove the awful unintentional film grain you often notice in films. The worst thing I have ever seen for film grain is Expendables 2, it was absolutely unwatchable on my previous Samsung 6000 series tv. They also went OTT with the film grain on 300, the DVD looks amazing in comparison.

The only time ive found film grain acceptable was when watching Band of Brothers & The Pacific, because they were meant to be like that.

For the many films I have watched since getting this TV, such as the three Dark Knight films, Avatar, Life of Pi, Prometheus, & StarTrek into Darkness ( to name but a few) they all look absolutely amazing. The very fine (unintentional) film grain that they had is removed by having both "Digital Clean View" and "MPEG Noise Filter" set to "Low" or "Auto"?. I found that the "High" options reduce the overall detail of the screen, everything looks much softer and generally awful.

HDMI Black level needs to be set to "Normal". Dont set it to "High" because you can lose a ridiculous amount of detail in darker scenes. I accidentally had it set to "Low" instead of "Normal" while I was watching "The Desolation of Smaug" & I kicked myself halfway through watching it. I kept wondering why the screen was so frigging dark, it was almost unwatchable because of the black level being set incorrectly.

Motion plus set to "Smooth" makes films look great. Im still torn between "Smooth" & "Clear", in various reviews people have suggested changing it to "Clear" but there's barely any difference. The only stuttering of the picture that I have seen by having it set to "Smooth" was during the 2nd Hobbit film. It occured when there was a huge sweeping camera movement from right to left, overlooking a castle. But that's the only time ive experienced it & its not that distracting.

Of the preset modes, Clear and "Custom" could be the best option available. The others generate motion artefacts, seen around certain moving objects as a smudgy, shadowy outline. "Clear" does cause some artefacting but it's hardly noticeable.

I would personally suggest setting Blur Reduction to 4 and Judder reduction to 6 if you want to choose "Custom"; this way you'll maximise moving resolution and eliminate artefacts altogether.

Watching HD content with the above custom settings makes for a very smooth and enjoyable viewing experience. I sat and watched "The Penguin King 3D" and it felt as though I was there, sat watching the icy ocean lapping the coastline, its quite amazing.

---------------------------
Anyways, I hope my above info and settings prove useful to people. Its a shame reviewers have to be so cryptic and unhelpful.

I calibrated my tv by using the Disney WOW calibration bluray that I imported from America. I have found that uncalibrated screens tend to have too much red and this results in an ever so slight pink tinge to the screen when looking at whats meant to be a pure white screen.

The 2 point & 10 point fine tuning of the colours was done by a "Sencore OTC1000" Meter with AV Foundry VideoForge Source & Direct Display Control. These tend to retail at around 7000 dollars & are incredibly accurate.

Obviously not everyones eyes are the same so some fine tuning might be required. My idea of a particular colour might not be the same as what you see. Im not colour blind though.

Im very happy with my settings & when ive had people round & they see the quality of the image on screen they cant get their heads around it. They say its like looking through a window/portal or as if they are in front of the actors. As far as im concerned, if a persons eyes cant tell the difference between a film & real life, i'd consider that mission accomplished :)

If you want the best HDMI cable that money can buy (at a decent price) look no further than this:

Its the "IBRA® 3m High Speed PRO GOLD RED", the cable is actually gun metal with gold tips, as indicated in the product photo. It is a category 1.4a 3D capable high speed braided cable. It supports resolutions up to and above 4k and has a ridiculous bandwidth of 18gb per second. I have everything that goes in and out of my STRDH810 amp connected with these amazing cables and they are second to none. These cables are as good as the 80 quid "Monster" ones you can get robbed for.

At the end of the day the image on your tv is only as good as the crappiest part in your entire setup, and for a majority of people its simply the hdmi cable that needs upgrading.

Billy

---

Please dont start lecturing me about the origins of sharpness & how it doesn't actually sharpen the image, I dont care & ive had it rammed down my throat on avforums. If raising the sharpness enhances definition of objects on screen i consider it to be a benefit. A 3D film isnt really showing a three dimensional object in front of us but if it tricks our brain into believing it is, who cares?

Im simply sharing my own settings with the common folk that can't be bothered spending hours calibrating their own tvs, paying someone "qualified" hundreds to do it for them or can't justify buying a 7 thousand quid camera that just measures screen brightness.

This review and list of settings isnt for the eyes of people with "calibration" qualifications so move on, go crawl back under your bridge & troll someone that cares, I wont entertain it.

Im sure that all the visitors of this website are big boys & girls, they know how to change their tv settings. If my suggestions dont work well on their own screens its no big deal and wont brick a tv... settings can be reset back to defaults. My settings are at least a good starting point for most people to fine tune.

----

If anyone does try out my settings above, leave a comment and let me know how you got on. Im also interested in what people would consider their best "reference" quality blurays are. Visually, some of the best thing's Ive ever seen are "Life of Pi", "Gravity" and "Avatar". Other excellent transfers are Zulu, Armageddon, Sin City and the Frozen animation by Disney. Frozen really shows off this tvs inky blacks and brilliant whites, a must watch!

The David Attenborough boxset, in particular "Kingdom of Plants 3D" is amongst the best 3D ive seen. I showed it to a mate the other day and his jaw dropped, he said it was unreal lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars which I now use exclusively as SD is just no longer good enough. It is very fast to boot, 3 Sep 2014
If you are looking to buy a new TV, do not dismiss this one. I echo all the positive comments made by others, and there are no lip-sync problems anymore. The picture quality is stunning on HD, which I now use exclusively as SD is just no longer good enough. It is very fast to boot, unlike my old one, and the features are genuinely useful. Even the voice activation stuff works, albeit somewhat of a gimmick. Outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV well featured , slim and unobtrusive., 11 July 2014
The TV is as described providing a decent picture and good access to the BBC i-player and the other catchup services. I have also been able to stream audio and video from my PCs and it will play MP3 tracks directly from a USB memory stick. The sound quality is very good for a flat screen TV. I have hung it on the wall using the Samsung wall brackets and it looks quite unobtrusive in our sitting room.

The voice activated remote is a quite useful and the pointing device is much easier to use than a typical TV remote control for entering specific internet search details. The browser seems to support standard web sites quite well although I guess it would not be able to properly display web sites that use flash.

If you insert a USB memory stick into the USB port you can select and record programs, from the standard Freeview EPG just like a hard disc recorder and pause and back wind live programs.

The 3D works well and the set comes with two pairs of 3D glasses which are not as substantial as the equivalent Panasonic 3D glasses, but do the job. They are not re-chargeble although I guess the batteries that are supplied with them will last quite a long time.

All in all a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung create a winner!, 4 Sep 2014
Mr. Neil D. Hoskins "oggy_neil" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This is one hell of a TV - the picture and sound quality is fantastic, both need a little tweaking but I don't think I'll be putting my 5.1 system against it. The Smart Hub has really come on, it's quick, easy to use and feature rich. The remote controls (yes, there are two) are easy to use but if probably best to get a phone app to replace them both.

It's quite light for it's size so the wall bracket I bought for £7 on Amazon is more than enough for it - phew!

All the ports are conveniently located and there are plenty of them - 4 HDMI is a bonus. I haven't tested the USB port and video file format compatibility but I'm using Servio anyway so not too worried.

All in all, if you want a great quality 48" TV - this is the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Picture, Fantastic Features, Fantastic Price!, 15 Sep 2014
A. Boylett "andyboylett" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Having wanted a new Smart TV for a while now, an unforeseen tax rebate meant I could treat myself. Having done a little research into best TVs for under £1000, I found the UE48H6400 which seemed to be picking up great reviews generally. Listed on the Samsung site for £999 rep, I was amazed, after a bit of web searching, I was shocked to find the TV for around £550 on Amazon.

I decided instead to support my local store and went to Currys (who were £100 more expensive) to give them the opportunity to price match and was told in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't and wouldn't offer even a discount to meet me half way on the basis of them making nothing on the TV and my £550 not being of interest to them as they turned over £60k a day! Won't be returning to Currys needless to say.

To cut a long story short, I ended up buying via Tesco's direct as they had stock available and were still competitive at around £575 including special delivery.

Anyway, enough of the shopping tales, the TV itself is awesome! There are plenty of reviews here going into the detail of the blackness, contract, system setting etc and I'm not qualified to comment. All I know is that from the off, the screen looked amazing out of the box. It made my 5 year old Panasonic look like a dinosaur in every way, from looks, to picture quality, to sound quality, to features like internet access, voice control and apps like Netflix straight to the TV. This really is a home entertainment hub.

The TV also features active 3D, a feature we didn't have on the last TV, and having watched Prometheus on Skys 3D service now, I can really say how good the system is. The picture was sharp all around and I barely noticed the glasses (2 free pairs are supplied with the set) once I had them on as they were so comfortable.

The picture quality is the highlight though. My wife and I find ourselves stopping shows and just to admire some of the images and colours. It really is superb and I'm sure we will stay with this set quite happily until UHD becomes the norm (because once you see a UHD picture, there really is no comparison).

Back to this though. It also come with an infrared dongle (for want of a better word) that you can put in front of your Sky box so that you can control Sky through the TV remote controls and the voice control of the set (changing channels and pausing/rewinding etc). The voice control is a bit of a gimmick but it's fun to play with.

The TV also has a "Football mode" which just seemed to up the colour contrast and ruin the sound, so I'm not sure if I'll be using that too often. I think you can also record your own highlights and bits of commentary but why you would really want to do that is beyond me?

The wireless features of the TV are really good too, connecting up to our wireless router with the minimum of fuss and then to our mobile devices (to control things like Youtube from our phones or laptop). I also hooked up my Apple bluetooth keyboard to the TV as well to help typing things into the web browser as the "smart" remote I found fiddly to use.

I'm still finding my way around the TV and the onscreen manual helps with that (although I'm an old fashioned boy and prefer a paper manual given a choice). I'm sure that the TV can probably do loads more that I haven't even discovered yet but, all in all this was a fantastic buy and, for the money, I think an unbeatable one.

Buy one and share the love. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted., 14 Sep 2014
I am absolutely delighted with this TV. Everything about it is brilliant. Quality, picture, sound & features are by far the best I've had on any previous TV's . Comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses including batteries which give an excellent 3D viewing experience. So overall, I am extremely happy & would definitely recommend this TV especially for the price,I really can't fault it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Aug 2014
goog product at a good price and delivered as and when expected

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great TV, it has an Intelligent control that makes ..., 13 Aug 2014
This is a great TV, it has an Intelligent control that makes life so easy, took a while to understand its nuances, but I am very impressed with the voice control and remote adaptor for my Satellite box. Great 3D, Avatar was excellent as was 'Galapagos' ( David Attenborough) picture was awesome!!! Easy Wi-Fi set-up took less than a minute, all in all a great buy!!!

Samsung 48-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Quad Core Wi-Fi Smart 3D LED TV
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available