5.0 out of 5 stars Deadpan man, 6 Mar. 2013
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Joshua Judges Ruth (Audio CD)
I don`t know why Lyle Lovett doesn`t sell records by the bucket-load. He`s one of the wittiest, most disarmingly charming, yet oddly troubling songwriters around, as well as the perfect singer of his own songs, with a uniquely deadpan yet `pent-up` style of singing, managing to sound both restrained and urgent.
I`ve been listening to and loving Lyle for years now, ever since his stunning debut album (which contained that sly, raunchy song of the prairies, Cowboy Man). He seems incapable, I`m happy to say, of making a bad record, and this biblically titled set of twelve songs is one of the best. I listened to it last night, after several glasses of wine, volume not loud, and it fitted ny mood exactly, and sounded like one of the most glorious things I`d ever heard. Many of the songs are quite downbeat, even sad, while a few are gospelly, including the appropriately titled Church. It`s a good late-night record.
The slow songs are like quietly tortured detonations from a strange limbo world - I said LL could be troubling - and then he`ll sweep the rug from under you with a song like She`s Leaving Me Because She Really Wants To, a very Lyle title, both literal and satirical, humorous and bleak.
All My Love Is Gone is just one of the low-key gems on this wonderful album, as is Baltimore, a strange song about death - there`s quite a lot of death about on these songs - and a promise to a dying woman.
Many of LL`s songs, throughout his career, have grown from an inconsequential idea
into something touching or disturbing, or just plain eccentric. (Remember his early song concerning "Me upon my pony on my boat"?)
Lyle is a Texan, and joins those other oddball Texan singer-songwriters I love so much, such as Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, Joe Ely, Jerry Jeff Walker...not to mention the late Buddy Holly, and who knows what else he might have gone on to achieve? He`s also a long tall Texan, with one of the most distinctive voices in contemporary music. A truly great songwriter too.
Lyle Lovett: he stands alone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspired stuff, 17 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Joshua Judges Ruth (Audio CD)
This is the fifth Lyle Lovett album I've bought (albeit 14 years later). I'd say it's pretty much in the usual vain of LLs work: he has a particular style and approach that often utilises similar motifs throughout. Because of that reason, It's rather hard to know whether I'd say it's any better or worse than the others (Self-titled first album, Road to Ensadena, Lyle Lovett's Big Band and Pontiac). On reflection I'd probably put it up with Pontiac, my other favourite.

His strength for me, is the way he can caste a broad sway of emotional input to his songs: for instance, he can change between very playful, humourous and jolly gospel-inspired tracks about being at his church and being starving hungry, the next minute he can sing a rather sad (yet still beautiful) song about the death of his two-year old nephew.

Nice to see inputs from Rickie Lee Jones and Emmylou Harris, two delightful singers whom I respect and admire immensely.

Recommended if you like modern Country, bluesy, jazzy, heart-felt music

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 16 Sept. 2014
mike (LONDON.NEW YORK ,EDINBURGH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Joshua Judges Ruth (Audio CD)
another under ratted artist , great cd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music in a fab format, 2 May 2012
Mr. Nr Watson - See all my reviews
This is some great music
Have it in both formats but really enjoying it in 5.1
Lovett is such a talented musician

Joshua Judges Ruth