4.0 out of 5 stars Review from an iPhone convert
**19th September 2014 UPDATE at the end.**

I'm writing this review one week and one day after purchasing the phone from Amazon.

Published 3 months ago by youreinforitnow

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading advertisement product not genuine!
I've given one star because i cannot seem to give ZERO!

Published 12 days ago by Suky

4.0 out of 5 stars Review from an iPhone convert, 14 Aug 2014
**19th September 2014 UPDATE at the end.**

I rarely, if ever, write reviews of anything but I'm doing so on this occasion for two reasons; the first being that, before this, I used an iPhone 4s and the second is that paying over £450 for a phone is clearly a considered purchase for most people.

It was a fairly big decision to 'switch sides' by going from Apple to Android on a Samsung but, so far, I haven't regretted it.

I'd had my iPhone 4s since October 2011 and it was a very faithful servant to me. I certainly think it's still the best of all the iPhones. I got rid of it as it had got to the point where I was having to charge it two or, sometimes, three times per day with normal use and apps would crash as they became more processor and memory intensive so the ageing hardware was unable to cope as well as it used to.

I'm going to do this the old fashioned way and do a list of pros and cons with some comparisons to the iPhone 4s in angle brackets where relevant. Also, I will update this review again at one month and three months to see if my experience with it has changed.

So, the PROS first...

1. Speedy as hell.
This phone is rapid. Make no mistake that the hardware in this device is pretty much as fast as it gets at the moment. Various reviews will tell you that the HTC One M8 gives faster benchmarks but I've tried both of these phones in shops before purchasing and there's basically no difference. My wife has an iPhone 5c and it's much faster than that. A couple of friends have the 5s and it's also faster than that. All of my apps load and close instantly - this includes games and the camera.
[As mentioned earlier, speed and memory is one of the reasons I had to abandon my 4s.]

2. The battery life is fantastic.
As mentioned above, I have had the phone for one week and a day and I have only charged it three times. Basically, it lasts for 48 hours with me. This includes things like listening to Spotify, using SnapChat and Facebook and all the other common apps you can think of as well as emails, texts, taking pictures and watching the odd video on YouTube.
[The 4s battery used to last less than a day when it was new.]

3. Superb pictures from the camera.
Although it has a very high 16mp sensor, resolution isn't always the main determinant of good photos. It's also the QUALITY of those pixels and the lens. Both of these are great and these two factors lead to crisp, sharp photos that are full of colour. It doesn't perform quite as well in low light as it does in brighter conditions but I've found that you can still get good results if you turn on the camera's image stabilisation and are willing to keep as still as you can for a few moments. Of course, that may not always be possible if you're, for instance, at a gig. (I'm going to Leeds festival next week so I will add some photo samples when I update this review.) I haven't yet tried out the video function but the fact that it will will shoot 4k says it all, I think.
[The 4s camera is appalling in comparison but it was using lens and sensor technology that was, basically, from 2010/2011.]

4. Huge, full-HD, bright screen.
Personally, I'm a fan of big phones and the S5 certainly fits that bill. It's about a third bigger than the iPhone 4s and, therefore, so is its screen. It's very bright, reproduces colours beautifully and it does all of this in full 1080p HD. If you're a fan of watching movies or TV shows on your phone, you will not go wrong with this for those reasons. I don't think much more needs to be said about that!

5. Water-resistant.
In this day and age, I don't really understand why this isn't a feature of all phones. I've used my S5 out in the rain a couple of times already and, in a curiosity-killed-the-cat moment, ran it under the tap for a while the day I bought it. None of this had any effect on it at all. I also use it in a (non-waterproof) armband when cycling and I've been through some torrential downpours in the past week. The USB/charging port at the bottom has a cover over it to stop water from reaching it and phone actually reminds you to put it back when you unplug your charger which is a nice little touch.

6. Expandable storage.
Not everybody wants to rely on the cloud despite that being Google's aim and the inclusion of a Micro-SD card slot for adding up to 128gb(!) of additional storage is a brilliant move by Samsung. I've got the 16gb phone and have bought a 64gb card to go with it. You will want to do this if you're trigger happy with the S5's stunning 16mp camera!

7. Heart-rate sensor.
This will be seen as a mere novelty to some but as a cyclist and a runner, I think it's fantastic. It actually works really well and seems to be as accurate as a £60 external sensor I used in the past. Use it before you start exercising and then as soon as you finish to see how hard you've worked. Let it keep a record over time and watch your fitness levels increase as your working heart rate goes down!

8. Free stuff.
A year's free Endemondo Premium, six months' free Deezer (a Spotify rival if you're unfamiliar), 3 months free NOW TV Sky Movies pass, 3 months free LinkedIn Premium and a few others. Need I say more!?

Nor for the CONS...

1. The fingerprint scanner.
This is pretty bad. It almost never works at the first attempt. It usually takes me four tries for it to unlock the phone. If it fails to work/recognise your fingerprint five times in a row it won't let you try for another thirty seconds. You can add a password to unlock the phone as a failsafe instead of using the scanner. Frequently, I find myself getting to the fourth attempt and then choosing to enter the code instead to stop it locking. It feels like Samsung rushed to get this into the S5 to compete with the iPhone 5s but they probably should've waited until they could get it right.

2. The rear speaker.
It's quiet, tinny, and sounds pretty bad. I never use this anyway so it's not an issue for me as I always listen to media using my earphones. If you're someone who does like good external audio on a phone, however, you might want to take this into account. The HTC One M8's speaker blows it away in comarison. But again, this is not a feature that I, personally, am concerned about.

3. Build quality.
Although the phone does feel very sturdy, its plastic casing and thinly-built rear cover does leave more to be desired. The velour-esque coating on the back won't be for everyone. I've solved all of this by getting a robust Spigen cover for £9.

That's it - more pros than cons by far!

In conclusion, I'm very happy with my purchase and haven't regretted switching from iPhone to Samsung/Android one little bit.

I hope this has helped you to make an informed choice. As mentioned, I well update this review again in about three weeks.

****UPDATE - 19TH SEPTEMBER 2014****

So I'm a little late with this but better late than never!

The main thing I've got to say after six and a bit weeks is that there seems to be a bit of knack to using the fingerprint scanner.

Initially, I was only using my thumb as that's the only way to unlock it with one hand using this feature.

After a couple of weeks, I decided to register the index finder of my right hand, too. I am having significantly more success with this but it still isn't perfect.

Using the index finger, it now works about eight times out of ten which is a massive improvement on my initial experience!

You have to run your finger along it quite slowly without pressing down too hard. I wasn't always moving my thumb in straight lines and wasn't pressing in with too much force. This new method is much better.

Otherwise, the phone is still running perfectly and I've grown to like it more with every week.

I went on holiday to Ibiza and took some amazing snaps and videos with it. Best non-DSLR camera I've ever owned. And the fact that it's waterproof meant I could take it in the sea and the pool and get some shots there which was brilliant! I would add some of these to show you but it turns out you can't add external links in Amazon reviews.

I'll be back with another update in eight weeks...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone but be careful where you buy it from, 2 Nov 2014
The phone itself is excellent, though the USB flap can be a bit awkward if you have a case on.

However, I had to send mine back for a full refund because I was sent a phone with Hong Kong baseband firmware (G900FZHUANI2). I have read that this may mean it doesn't have a valid UK warranty.

To check your phone: "Settings" > "About device" > "Baseband version". You could also try a factory reset - although mine was in English when I took it out of the box, a factory reset defaulted it back to Chinese. A bit suspicious.

If you're not sure if yours is right, search online or ask on the XDA Developers Forum.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading advertisement product not genuine!, 16 Nov 2014
I've given one star because i cannot seem to give ZERO!

Boy has this purchase been a pain. First the delivery was delayed i did not get the phone until a few days after the estimated date, which normally wouldn't bother me so much had it not been a birthday present for my daughter. Next the package was just left in the middle of my driveway for all to see, there was not attempt made by the delivery guy to knock on the door, in fact the man exited his vehicle with the package, walked towards my home, looked at his watch and then all around (presumably to have a look if anyone was watching) and proceeded to throw the package from the pavement into my driveway...yes i said THROW! I was in the middle of getting ready for work when i noticed the delivery vehicle pull up, so I was lucky enough to see the everything unfold. This is not something i would normally expect from Amazon as they are the ones who fulfilled the shipment, normally they provided a 1st class service, one can only assume I was due a bad experience.

Now onto the phone, and the biggest issue of all the charger! To start with the charger within the box is an S4 charger even though i purchased and S5. This in itself proves the phone was not new and the package has been opened prior to delivery. I opened the package began following the instructions on how to set up the phone, as soon as i plugged in the charger i heard a worrying noise (spark/ small bang) at which point the phone stopped charging. Having inspected the charger plug itself i noticed it was extremely hot and smelt of burnt plastic. This is a major safety issue, had i not been next to the phone at the time, god knows what could have happened. Furthermore, a closer inspections of the charger plug leads me to believe this may be counterfeit as there are major differences (safety warning & CE mark) when it is compared to a genuine something which was verified by Samsung themselves. I have tried to charge the phone with another charger and it works perfectly fine, therefore the only conclusion is the charger supplied with the phone is faulty/ counterfeit.

Having compared the box and its contents to my sister's, purchased directly from Samsung, its clear that DMCO have re-packaged the S5 phones with S4 accessories, charger, usb wire, headphones, and that's why the phone was so cheap.

This is the first time i have written a review and its safe to say I am very disappointed with the product (as well as the service from DMCO) and I just hope no other customers experience the same problems. Obviously having purchased and paid for a new S5, I feel I have been mislead.

The phone itself seems to be working fine and is everything i expected, but this experience has led me to re-think any future purchases from the marketplace and Amazon itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars It’s a good phone but, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S5 SIM-Free Smartphone - Blue (Wireless Phone)
It’s a good phone but, I bought it about 4 days ago it came with south Korean
Language as a default language and it was quite a challenge to change the
Language into English, went on to utube to see if any info into changing
the language but I couldn’t find anything on changing Korean language into English,
Secondly when you put UK sim card in it, it does not connect to network automatically
You have to go into Settings—More network---mobile network---network operators—
It will then scan and search for UK network, after that click on your operator network.
To change from Korean language into English go into setting---scroll down and tap onto
A blue circle with letter A in the middle----it will bring up a screen ---then tap on the
Second line on the screen---it will then giveyou option of European languages to choose
From---tap on to English. I think my phone was setup for sale in south Korea,
Even though it’s European model SM-G900F. I did contact the Amazon they responded
Very quickly to help, but before I could contact them again , I managed to resolve the problem.
It’s a very good phone and I must say excellent service from Amazon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfection (when you just keep it on your desk), 3 May 2014
I upgraded mine s3 to this beauty and I am almost thrilled to bits. I will list pros and several cons accordingly to my personal needs and taste.

Pros
+ (Look) maybe it is nothing outstanding or astonishing, but it is SIMPLE nad ELEGANT without gilding the lily! I personaly really like the look of the New Galaxy, it looks like a device of a grown up man. (I also like the leathery look of plastic on the back)
+ Performance - well, will run any app. I did not experienced any problems or glitches
+ Beautiful screen - woah! Deep colours, bright as sunlight and do not drain a lot of battery
+ Graphics - I am in heaven playing high end game
+ fingerprint scanner - pretty useful add (I always hated passwords or patterns)
+ SD micro Card slot up to 128 GB
+ motions - maybe not very useful, but I find them engaging (not like heartbeat sensor, which is pointless for me ^)
+ ULTRA POWER SAVING MODE - the biggest pro and a winner. Phone can survive up to 2 weeks without wallsocket!! (UPDATE: Okay I tested it out, there is no way for GS5 to give you 2 weeks, but still wih medium usage it can possibly stay on for about 4-7 days)
+ Waterproof and dustproof - essential pro for me as well (it can whitstand full washing or drawning in swimming pool)
+ enhanced touch sensitivity - I tried it. For me it is a nice feature - from now on you can use your phone even with very thick winter gloves!
+ battery life - substantially increased when comparing to s3. To cut a long story short, I am surprised with how long it takes this phone go flat
+ Battery still can be taken out (Samsung remains here true to its form) thumbs up!
+ Download booster - helpful technology allowing you for instance to speed up some overcrowded Wifis (hotel, train station or any public) or just download something very fast. This is the first technology that connects Wifi and 4G.

Cons
- (built quality) - except of the screen! I do not like that silver edges are plastic and can be easily scratched, back is not as resistant as well. Phone should have been made of metal
- (2 GB of RAM) 1 gb to less as for my money
- (16GB of internal memory) - Not good enough
- pack with too many apps from start both from Google and Samsung + O2 to top it all off (50% of them were unnecessary for me)
- No FM Radio, I did not use it on my s3 anyway, but it still is a con, right? Step back

OVERALL - Despite I love this phone and I am really pleased with it, my rating is 4 stars. I take one star for these 4 cons, which are not minor flaws for me at all. Such a cutting edge device should have been geared with at least 32 or 64 gb of memory and 3 gb ram

UPDATE 16/05/2014 Phone is going strong and it is still able to surprie me.
I have noticed another two really nice things:
+Bluetooth - I am using LG HBS700 bluetooth neckband headphones (approx. 6-8 hours every day)exactly the same model that I was using with my Galaxy s3. Thus, with Galaxy sIII they worked fine, but sound was cutting and dropping from time to time and when headphones were like 10 meters away from the phone, it was impossible to listen to anything. When I synchronized Galaxy s5 to my HBS I listened to the music from another bulding with just occ. cuttings! It was easily 20 meters with two walls on the way of the signal. How about that? I dont have to mention that while using it in my pocket, sound does not cutting at all. I was always thinking that the strength of the bluetooth signal depends on headphones more than the phone. Galaxy s5 proved me wrong. It has impressive bluetooth.
+Wifi - I have noticed that now I have few additional meters that I can walk away from Wifi Hot-spot before loosing the signal. Wifi connectivity was improved as well.

EDIT: the phone failed me twice. Once it cracked after falling down on the ground (with combo case and tempered glass protector). Okay, I managed to repaired it and did not lower the rating. But after just 1 month it failed to be water resistant and now the display does not work.

Sadly to say, but samsung proved me wrong and even though this was a great phone at start, I would not recommend it for some1 who wants the phone that will not fail after couple of months. Now I can see it is a step back from s3, which did not fail me even once and it is still working just fine as my missus phone

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy if you are in the EU - Incompatible and does not work, 30 Sep 2014
WARNING: Do not buy in the EU.
I very rarely write a review, mainly as I am a loyal and happy Amazon Prime customer and many people only write to complain (guilty) but I feel that I have to write on this occasion to warn other buyers who may not be so "tech savvy" when receiving the phone. On receipt it seems to work. However, this phone comes from Hong Kong. On starting it had a Chinese language setup and then when delving into different apps, many did not work. I phoned Samsung who confirmed that the firmware version was from Hong Kong and so there would be incompatibility issues in the EU and no warranty if the phone had any issues.
The one star is for Amazon - they have agreed to refund the phone and also the parts that I bought to go with it such as the screen protector and case.
I have no problems with ordering from Amazon but they do need to check the items they are selling - please check the model number or CSC number of the phone before purchase - if you have the phone dial *#1234# and the numbers will be displayed.

5.0 out of 5 stars So personally I love it! Now for the rest, 11 Oct 2014
I never write reviews but as I have just purchased this phone I felt I had to. Firstly I want to give my opinion of the Samsung Galaxy S5s biggest problem with others; the finger scanner. It was one of the first feature I tried and I have to say I've had no problems! I use it as my lock screen and it works every time. So personally I love it! Now for the rest. Although it does feel flimsy when you remove it, I quite like the back cover. It feels nice to me. The camera is amazing! Colours are so bright. It's a super fast phone with loads of features. The thing I'm most impressed with is battery life. I've had a LOT of mobiles and this is the best I've had 😊

5.0 out of 5 stars Also the price being £100 cheaper than anywhere else seems a bit too good to be true, 16 Oct 2014
I was a bit weary when ordering this phone after reading some reviews claiming it was not the European model. Also the price being £100 cheaper than anywhere else seems a bit too good to be true, which often means it is not genuine.

But I ordered this from iheadphones, knowing they are fulfilled by Amazon incase there were any problems. But there was no need to worry, it is a genuine S5 European model, and I have also had a proper look into it to make sure it was not a fake. Everything is fine with it.

When ordering this phone make sure you check that it is coming from a UK company, not a Hong Kong one, as a lot of them are shipped from Hong Kong, I can only guess that the people who have received the non-European models ordered it from one of these Asian countries without realising it.

Here is a link to a website which will verify if your phone is genuine by entering in the IMEI number.

1.0 out of 5 stars look good before. you. buy, 23 July 2014
Phone from Singapour no uk spec no uk guarantee. Amazon refunded cost

2.0 out of 5 stars The phone delivered was an unlocked Galaxy S5 but not ..., 13 July 2014
The phone delivered was an unlocked Galaxy S5 but not with the UK model number mentioned, so I sent it back and got the UK model from elsewhere.

Samsung Galaxy S5 SIM-Free Smartphone - Blue