5.0 out of 5 stars A crossword fan in a gridlock!
This new season of 'Endeavour' keeps its promises, and more! Our favorite Oxfordian detective finds himself in a terrible situation after a series of events running throughout the four episodes.
Published 3 months ago by Hermeline

3.0 out of 5 stars Why a cliffhanger?
Published 2 months ago by Edward J. Blust

5.0 out of 5 stars A crossword fan in a gridlock!, 12 May 2014
Hermeline (Lyon, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
After a long convalescence, Morse is thrown back into the world of murders, police corruption and politics, with the added shadow of a Freemasonry lodge. The young DC makes enemies during his inquests and some of them would stop at nothing to prevent the unearthing of dreadful secrets.. In 'Trove', Morse's dedication in finding a missing young woman leads to the arrest of a showbusiness manager with connections. In 'Nocturne', a seemingly haunted school for girls hides a killer with a century-old grudge. In 'Sway', Morse's intelligence is confronted to a strangler whose weapon of choice is women's silk stockings. And in 'Neverland', a former correctional facility for boys hides a terrible secret involving high-ranking policemen and property developers.
This show benefits from Russell Lewis' brilliant writing and from an excellent casting of actors. Shaun Evans is as endearing as ever in his portrayal of a traumatized but determined Morse, who finds romance with his beautiful next-door neighbor played by Shvorne Marks. Roger Allam is wonderful as DI Thursday, whose paternal feelings turn him into a protective lion whenener Morse is endangered. And the secondary characters are also excellent: PC Strange, torrn between his friendship with Morse and his ambitions; Dorothea Frazil, diligently providing our hero with information from the press; DS Jakes' overconfidence is shattered at the recollection of his childhood in the correctional facility; and Chief Superintendant Bright finally understands his 'friends' in spheres of influence actually consider him a fool.
This series ends with a major cliffhanger: how will Morse ever get out of the trap set by his enemies? Will DI Thursday survive the shoot-out?
The worst part is having to wait for another year to find out!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Continues To Add To Morse's Legacy Of Greatness', 22 April 2014
Antony May (East Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
What I so love about 'Endeavour' is the fact that Shaun Evans is so one hundred percent the character that we saw John Thaw play. Because of this, watching these brilliant detective stories is truly like reading Thaw's Morse's biography. Evans has all of Morse's classic mannerisms worked out to a tee. From his love of classical music, his outbursts of frustration when dealing with those 'higher up' to his tendency to ' mentally live and breathe each case 24/7'.

In this second series we find out how Morse got his gammy leg and acquired that famous limp, we begin to learn (I suspect) the story behind why he never married, there is early evidence of his over-reliance upon drink and we get to see that even as a young man Morse was never a 'hell raiser' but always a man who loved quality, serenity and his beloved Jaguar...

Roger Allam is also also immense as Morse's boss, Fred Thursday. A traditional copper through and through, Thursday has Jack Frost's passion in pursuing a criminal and like Jack, if pushed into a tight corner, is prepared to take things into his own hands if needs be. What with other stellar performances from the rest of the cast, a brilliant attention to detail regarding the sets and the reflected attitudes/morals of the times, this second series of 'Endeavour' is a DVD to buy and enjoy many times over.

I'm not going to go into detail about each of the four episodes featured here suffice to say that all four are brilliant, original and thought provoking. Personally, I love how the series ends because to my mind it leaves things at a point where we just know there HAS to be a third series and on this evidence that is all that matters...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping viewing!, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm not a massive fan of detective programmes but I always made an exception for Inspector Morse and now feel the same way about Endeavour. Superior writing and acting and of course the gorgeous backdrop of Oxford helps too. I love the Endeavour/Fred Thursday relationship and both Shaun and Roger are amazing in their roles. The rest of the cast are brilliant too and I love the fact that Abigail Thaw is involved and of course the little cameos from Colin help make the whole thing unique.

I thought Trove, Sway and Neverland were all excellent but in very different ways. I didn't like the Nocturne quite so much but still enjoyed it as it was filmed just a mile from my house and having the World Cup theme running through the episode was great.

Neverland was an amazing finale and I was on the edge of my seat for about the last 20 minutes and shouting NO at the TV probably along with 5 million others! I think the ending means that there will definitely be a series 3, surely they wouldn't leave it like that, would they? Endeavour locked up, Fred at death's door, Jakes on the brink of a breakdown and poor old Monica looking out the window waiting for her lovely man to come home! More of the same please ITV!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Established drama, 9 April 2014
Sc Richards - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
2 in and this gets better and better. The casting is the key and whoever gave Shaun Evans the green light deserves a lot of credit. Roger Allam is one of this countries most gifted actors and both deserve praise in their portrayals as a genuine "father son" type relationship. Evans Morse is shy, unsure, uneasy with female company but his detective skills cant be underrated. Evans plays Morse not as an impersonation but its understated (like John Thaw) and shows a vulnerability. Sometimes though there are glimpses of the Morse to come. With another series of Lewis even though we no longer have John Thaw im sure he would be very complementary on the legacy continuing and the quality (in both shows) shows no sign of diminishing. great locations and a real 60s feel to the series just adds to its quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why a cliffhanger?, 9 Jun 2014
Edward J. Blust (Luganville, Vanuatu) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I have been a fan of Morse, then Lewis and all the episodes of Endeavor except the last one. I rate it three stars because of the (to me) unsatisfactory "cliffhanger" ending. Are the ratings so low as to justify the ending? I have enjoyed the tone and quality of all three series but that last episode of Endeavor was really disappointing and didn't keep the spirit of all the series. While I enjoy "Downton Abbey" with its' 'see what happens next episode style', I don't feel it is appropriate for Endeavour.

5.0 out of 5 stars PAST TOUCH AND SIGHT AND SOUND, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
This series is on a par with the best of the original Morse years, if not better. Shaun Evans & Roger Allam's relationship goes much deeper and has more drama than the Morse/Lewis relationship and I think this is the reason why many people seem to be favouring Endeavour over Morse more and more.
This series had many nods to the original Morse series, even copying camera angles and dialogue, but it is set apart from Morse because it only has occasional nods to the past/future and is a really exceptional drama in its own right. I stopped thinking about John Thaw after episode 2 of the first series. Shaun and the Endeavour team have been very clever in going back to the grit of the books and allowed themselves to not only enhance the original Morse episodes but also present a Morse who we feel we barely know, but who we are desperate to find out about. I really hope they carry on with making Endeavour, even if they just finish off the 1960s which would give us 3 more series at least. Still plenty of stories to tell and relationships to discover, especially Morse & Macnutt, who is mentioned twice in the last episode of this series.
A wonderful series, always keeping the audience guessing, never becoming too comfortable and filled with actors who are at the top of their game, especially Shaun, Roger, Anton, Abigail & Sean. 'Neverland' may be the most dramatic and moving episode in the entire canon. 'Like a bird set free, soars the delightful day . . . '

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series just got better, 4 Jun 2014
Aremess "AremessUK" (Littlehampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed the pilot, liked the 1st series and absolutely loved this series. The acting from Shaun Evans as Morse and Roger Allam as DI Fred Thursday is nothing but first rate and the relationship between the two is mesmerising.
These stories are not like so many American shows of dazzling car chases, bloody mayhem etc, these are well constructed stories that get the audience to do a little thinking of their own.

Excellent and very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had great reservations about another "spin off" of Morse, 23 July 2014
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I had great reservations about yet another "spin off" of Morse. Lewis was good, and I enjoyed the scenery and mysteries, even if some of them bordered on the fantastic. However, I couldn't imagine how this show would be a success. How could there be an angle that hadn't been pursued? I could not have been more wrong.

This first series drew us in, and left us impatiently awaiting the next series, and the second installment delivered. Now we need more! It is cerebral, but very engaging.

It gives you glimpses into what shaped and influenced Morse and his dogged sense of justice. Great acting, the stories that are woven into the mysteries are very cleverly done, I can't say enough good things about it, watch immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime (includes spoilers), 23 April 2014
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
What an amazing series. Incredible and fascinating storylines. Shaun Evans is a triumph. With such an cliff hanger ending on Sunday, it can be hoped that there is going to be a third series - which is likely to be just as fantastic.

Apparently the great Colin Dextor is involved in the making of Endeavour and it shows!! I only hope that Roger Allams brilliantly portrayed Fred Thursday is included in the next series, as it will be poorer if he does not at least have some presence. Thursdays family life, and its warmth has given heart to Endeavour, and I believe that to take this away completely, would be a very big mistake (inevitable if Thursday dies). At a recent TV interview Shaun Evans indicated that he is happy to continue in the role - I imagine that millions of avid viewers are hoping that he will - for many more series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Perhaps the final episode, though brilliantly done, could have had less loose ends as cliff hangers. I reckon that I shall watch whatever comes my way in this brilliant series. Long live young Morse!

Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD]
Endeavour - Series 2 [DVD] by Shaun Evans (DVD - 2014)
11.97