4.0 out of 5 stars Review from an iPhone convert
I'm writing this review one week and one day after purchasing the phone from Amazon.

I rarely, if ever, write reviews of anything but I'm doing so on this occasion for two reasons; the first being that, before this, I used an iPhone 4s and the second is that paying over 450 for a phone is clearly a considered purchase for most people.

It was a...
Published 16 days ago by youreinforitnow

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! This model does not support LTE UK 4G
Avoid this if you want the UK 4G version!!

Published 1 month ago by Mike Thatcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Review from an iPhone convert, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy S5 - Sim Free Smartphone, Black (Electronics)

It was a fairly big decision to 'switch sides' by going from Apple to Android on a Samsung but, so far, I haven't regretted it.

I'd had my iPhone 4s since October 2011 and it was a very faithful servant to me. I certainly think it's still the best of all the iPhones. I got rid of it as it had got to the point where I was having to charge it two or, sometimes, three times per day with normal use and apps would crash as they became more processor and memory intensive so the ageing hardware was unable to cope as well as it used to.

I'm going to do this the old fashioned way and do a list of pros and cons with some comparisons to the iPhone 4s in angle brackets where relevant. Also, I will update this review again at one month and three months to see if my experience with it has changed.

So, the PROS first...

1. Speedy as hell.
This phone is rapid. Make no mistake that the hardware in this device is pretty much as fast as it gets at the moment. Various reviews will tell you that the HTC One M8 gives faster benchmarks but I've tried both of these phones in shops before purchasing and there's basically no difference. My wife has an iPhone 5c and it's much faster than that. A couple of friends have the 5s and it's also faster than that. All of my apps load and close instantly - this includes games and the camera.
[As mentioned earlier, speed and memory is one of the reasons I had to abandon my 4s.]

2. The battery life is fantastic.
As mentioned above, I have had the phone for one week and a day and I have only charged it three times. Basically, it lasts for 48 hours with me. This includes things like listening to Spotify, using SnapChat and Facebook and all the other common apps you can think of as well as emails, texts, taking pictures and watching the odd video on YouTube.
[The 4s battery used to last less than a day when it was new.]

3. Superb pictures from the camera.
Although it has a very high 16mp sensor, resolution isn't always the main determinant of good photos. It's also the QUALITY of those pixels and the lens. Both of these are great and these two factors lead to crisp, sharp photos that are full of colour. It doesn't perform quite as well in low light as it does in brighter conditions but I've found that you can still get good results if you turn on the camera's image stabilisation and are willing to keep as still as you can for a few moments. Of course, that may not always be possible if you're, for instance, at a gig. (I'm going to Leeds festival next week so I will add some photo samples when I update this review.) I haven't yet tried out the video function but the fact that it will will shoot 4k says it all, I think.
[The 4s camera is appalling in comparison but it was using lens and sensor technology that was, basically, from 2010/2011.]

4. Huge, full-HD, bright screen.
Personally, I'm a fan of big phones and the S5 certainly fits that bill. It's about a third bigger than the iPhone 4s and, therefore, so is its screen. It's very bright, reproduces colours beautifully and it does all of this in full 1080p HD. If you're a fan of watching movies or TV shows on your phone, you will not go wrong with this for those reasons. I don't think much more needs to be said about that!

5. Water-resistant.
In this day and age, I don't really understand why this isn't a feature of all phones. I've used my S5 out in the rain a couple of times already and, in a curiosity-killed-the-cat moment, ran it under the tap for a while the day I bought it. None of this had any effect on it at all. I also use it in a (non-waterproof) armband when cycling and I've been through some torrential downpours in the past week. The USB/charging port at the bottom has a cover over it to stop water from reaching it and phone actually reminds you to put it back when you unplug your charger which is a nice little touch.

6. Expandable storage.
Not everybody wants to rely on the cloud despite that being Google's aim and the inclusion of a Micro-SD card slot for adding up to 128gb(!) of additional storage is a brilliant move by Samsung. I've got the 16gb phone and have bought a 64gb card to go with it. You will want to do this if you're trigger happy with the S5's stunning 16mp camera!

7. Heart-rate sensor.
This will be seen as a mere novelty to some but as a cyclist and a runner, I think it's fantastic. It actually works really well and seems to be as accurate as a 60 external sensor I used in the past. Use it before you start exercising and then as soon as you finish to see how hard you've worked. Let it keep a record over time and watch your fitness levels increase as your working heart rate goes down!

8. Free stuff.
A year's free Endemondo Premium, six months' free Deezer (a Spotify rival if you're unfamiliar), 3 months free NOW TV Sky Movies pass, 3 months free LinkedIn Premium and a few others. Need I say more!?

Nor for the CONS...

1. The fingerprint scanner.
This is pretty bad. It almost never works at the first attempt. It usually takes me four tries for it to unlock the phone. If it fails to work/recognise your fingerprint five times in a row it won't let you try for another thirty seconds. You can add a password to unlock the phone as a failsafe instead of using the scanner. Frequently, I find myself getting to the fourth attempt and then choosing to enter the code instead to stop it locking. It feels like Samsung rushed to get this into the S5 to compete with the iPhone 5s but they probably should've waited until they could get it right.

2. The rear speaker.
It's quiet, tinny, and sounds pretty bad. I never use this anyway so it's not an issue for me as I always listen to media using my earphones. If you're someone who does like good external audio on a phone, however, you might want to take this into account. The HTC One M8's speaker blows it away in comarison. But again, this is not a feature that I, personally, am concerned about.

3. Build quality.
Although the phone does feel very sturdy, its plastic casing and thinly-built rear cover does leave more to be desired. The velour-esque coating on the back won't be for everyone. I've solved all of this by getting a robust Spigen cover for 9.

That's it - more pros than cons by far!

In conclusion, I'm very happy with my purchase and haven't regretted switching from iPhone to Samsung/Android one little bit.

I hope this has helped you to make an informed choice. As mentioned, I well update this review again in about three weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars best phone ever, 3 Jun 2014
I had the Galaxy S3 and moved to Galaxy S4, I was contemplating whether I should upgrade my S4 to an S5 and I eventually did. So glad I did that because the performance of this phone is so much better and the screen quality and colour is definitely enhanced. The camera works perfect with some very clear and nice shots

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! This model does not support LTE UK 4G, 10 July 2014
Avoid this if you want the UK 4G version!!

I ordered this phone as an urgent replacement for my broken S5 and Amazon get 5* for their part as always but we warned. This S5 is the SM-G900H (North America) model of the S5 and WILL NOT WORK WITH UK LTE 4G! It also came with a old black Samsung charger which does not fit in the box and caused the phone to stick up in the box at one end due to the UK plug. Luckily I had my old broken S5 next to me when checking the model and the phone is loads different. It also has a different processor to the UK version.

Don't listen to what the description says under the questions. This is not the SM-G900F which is what all UK retailers are selling and the best you will get is 3G+

I will be returning mine today as Amazon have given me a full refund (Thank god as I've broken the seal

4.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfection, 3 May 2014
I upgraded mine s3 to this beauty and I am almost thrilled to bits. I will list pros and several cons accordingly to my personal needs and taste.

Pros
+ (Look) maybe it is nothing outstanding or astonishing, but it is SIMPLE nad ELEGANT without gilding the lily! I personaly really like the look of the New Galaxy, it looks like a device of a grown up man. (I also like the leathery look of plastic on the back)
+ Performance - well, will run any app. I did not experienced any problems or glitches
+ Beautiful screen - woah! Deep colours, bright as sunlight and do not drain a lot of battery
+ Graphics - I am in heaven playing high end game
+ fingerprint scanner - pretty useful add (I always hated passwords or patterns)
+ SD micro Card slot up to 128 GB
+ motions - maybe not very useful, but I find them engaging (not like heartbeat sensor, which is pointless for me ^)
+ ULTRA POWER SAVING MODE - the biggest pro and a winner. Phone can survive up to 2 weeks without wallsocket!! (UPDATE: Okay I tested it out, there is no way for GS5 to give you 2 weeks, but still wih medium usage it can possibly stay on for about 4-7 days)
+ Waterproof and dustproof - essential pro for me as well (it can whitstand full washing or drawning in swimming pool)
+ enhanced touch sensitivity - I tried it. For me it is a nice feature - from now on you can use your phone even with very thick winter gloves!
+ battery life - substantially increased when comparing to s3. To cut a long story short, I am surprised with how long it takes this phone go flat
+ Battery still can be taken out (Samsung remains here true to its form) thumbs up!
+ Download booster - helpful technology allowing you for instance to speed up some overcrowded Wifis (hotel, train station or any public) or just download something very fast. This is the first technology that connects Wifi and 4G.

Cons
- (built quality) - except of the screen! I do not like that silver edges are plastic and can be easily scratched, back is not as resistant as well. Phone should have been made of metal
- (2 GB of RAM) 1 gb to less as for my money
- (16GB of internal memory) - Not good enough
- pack with too many apps from start both from Google and Samsung + O2 to top it all off (50% of them were unnecessary for me)
- No FM Radio, I did not use it on my s3 anyway, but it still is a con, right? Step back

OVERALL - Despite I love this phone and I am really pleased with it, my rating is 4 stars. I take one star for these 4 cons, which are not minor flaws for me at all. Such a cutting edge device should have been geared with at least 32 or 64 gb of memory and 3 gb ram

UPDATE 16/05/2014 Phone is going strong and it is still able to surprie me.
I have noticed another two really nice things:
+Bluetooth - I am using LG HBS700 bluetooth neckband headphones (approx. 6-8 hours every day)exactly the same model that I was using with my Galaxy s3. Thus, with Galaxy sIII they worked fine, but sound was cutting and dropping from time to time and when headphones were like 10 meters away from the phone, it was impossible to listen to anything. When I synchronized Galaxy s5 to my HBS I listened to the music from another bulding with just occ. cuttings! It was easily 20 meters with two walls on the way of the signal. How about that? I dont have to mention that while using it in my pocket, sound does not cutting at all. I was always thinking that the strength of the bluetooth signal depends on headphones more than the phone. Galaxy s5 proved me wrong. It has impressive bluetooth.
+Wifi - I have noticed that now I have few additional meters that I can walk away from Wifi Hot-spot before loosing the signal. Wifi connectivity was improved as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best smartphone, 18 July 2014
The phone arrived really fast and in perfect conditions. As described, it supports 4G and it's unlocked. I've been using this phone for one month and I haven't had any problems with it. I'm really satisfied with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !!!, 24 April 2014
Coming from Apple (and have bee pro-apple for 4 years) I thought it was time for a change. I was fed up of having to charge my phone 2-3 times a day and just generally the phone didn't do as much as I would have liked. I decided to go for the jump - It was quite a big thing but when I got it - I haven't looked back. The amount of things you can do in comparison is amazing. Everything about it I love. Very much enjoying the change from apple! The only thing I have found is that its quite tricky to find how to change settings. However, I am purely putting this down to the fact I have never used android before, after a week I'm pretty much there :)

3.0 out of 5 stars I still love my galaxy sIII so much, 29 July 2014
I upgraded this phone from galaxy sIII. I still love my galaxy sIII so much. I believe it is still better for me. GS5 is a Nice product but I didn't get what I expected:-
-First of all the battery life is better than any smartphones but still it has got Ultra Power saving mode. It is said that ultra P saving mode saves a lot of power. I found it is not that much satisfactory. The battery was draining so fast even though I enabled U P Saving mode.
-Increased Touch sensitivity is not working sometimes whereas works fine sometime. dodgy..
-The camera is bulging outwards. This made me feel a bit awkward to place my phone on the table. When placing on table the camera lens comes to contact on the table at first. I spent a lot of money by searching the case that could protect the camera. I hardly found a plastic case that really protects the camera lens.
-The signal reception is dodgy too. Other phones are picking the signals easily whereas no signal on the GS5. To regain the signals, I had the restart the phone. It applies to the mobile data as well.
-The phone becomes incredibly hot wile charging. And I afraid to leave it charging unattended. But the battery charges amazingly fast.
- Phone fails to respond at least once a week. When pressing the home button. The soft UI keys lit up but the screen is all black and blank. This remains for about 15 seconds or so. I believe some secret processes takes place sometime.
- Has got really less RAM. 2GB RAM is more than 3quartes full already with pre-loaded apps in it.
-Speaker is at the back of the phone. I personally didn't like it. The sound what I felt was like on only one side of the phone. A bit awkward.

Overall the phone is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not the 4G edition ... It's SM-G900H the international edition .. Be carefull, 21 May 2014
It's 4 stars for the phone itself ... It's really good and the screen is amazing and sharp. One problem with the description of Amazon is:
This is not the 4G edition it's the international one, i.e., you can't use it with 4G network. Also, it has octa-core Exynos processor not the quad-core snapdragon 801. The seller was not clear about this issue. I got the phone from Smart-deals seller.

3.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly underwhelming, 10 Aug 2014
Both my Samsung Galaxy s1 and s3 felt new, innovative and distinct improvements over the previous phone I had owned. This is not the case with the s5, which feels bland, unimaginative, sometimes even glitchy and distinctly underwhelming. It has the feel of a phone that was designed and
made simply to further the existence of the Galaxy S brand, not because it offers a new and improved mobile experience. It offers very few improvements over the s3 or s4, even the increased power doesn't seem to have increased speed. Go for the s4 or wait for the s6. This one will go down as a dud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 11 April 2014
Received today and been playing with it all day ,music player is louder and has better sound quality than previous models and the camera is just fantastic as I took some photos and compared them with my wife,s iPhone 5s which has also great camera but I believe galaxy s5 pictures are bit sharper and vibrant for having 16 mp sensor ,screen quality is amazing that I have not seen before on any mobile phone and it is seriously fast ,great health applications ,the only thing I don,t like Is how it looks ,the design , everything else is just great.

Samsung Galaxy S5 - Sim Free Smartphone, Black