5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful..., 29 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Cryin' to You (MP3 Download)
Covers albums - or in this case an EP - can often be difficult to review without falling into the pitfalls of "X Factor" cliche-dom, such as "X really nailed it" or "Y, you really made that song your own"... so the best thing to do is to just to get on and say what's on it.

I picked up the CD version of this release after seeing Lissie turn out a stunning performance at Oxford's O2 Academy on 12 March this year, and there are five tracks on offer here:

1) Mother - by Danzig (one that was performed live on the recent UK tour). A rather unusual choice of song - I bought the original single back in 1988, after seeing Danzig support Metallica at Hammersmith Odeon - which I believe was written in reaction to the American PMRC's attempts to censor the content of rock music back then. Like the original, Lissie's version starts off in a brooding fashion that then kicks into life... but it works!

2) Story of my Life - by One Direction (yes, I know...). I have to say that prior to hearing this EP I had never heard this song before, but Lissie seems to have adapted it well to suit her musical style... and I actually think it's really quite good!

3) Electric Eye - by Judas Priest (from their 1982 opus Screaming for Vengeance). Another unexpected choice of song that begins gently, springing into life before it gallops away towards the finish line - but as a metal fan, this is probably my favourite track on the EP.

4) Hold on, we're going home - by Canadian rapper Drake. Another song that I had never heard before, but this is a rather jolly toe-tapper that would sit very well on the radio - and it's also a great driving track! Good!

5) To Ramona - by Bob Dylan. I'd never heard this one before, either, but it's typical of the Dylan songs that I do know, and one that Lissie has worked into something that does sound very "country"... but I like it!

To sum up, the five tracks presented here really showcase the wonderful, diverse talent that is Lissie, and the whole package bears an authentic, rich, sound that really comes across as though it were recorded "live in the studio".

I would recommend, unreservedly, that you buy this EP.

As a footnote, I understand that Lissie and her band are now operating entirely as an independent entity, with all proceeds from any tour merchandise and recorded product sold going straight to them. In these days where cynical profiteering remains so prevalent in the music business, such a move can only be worthy of fan support.

Lissie - you are just wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong start to 2014, 25 April 2014
Miss M. H. Ellis "WriterGrrrl" (Barnsley, S Yorks UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cryin' to You (MP3 Download)
First four songs are incredible and the fifth is very different and in the right playlist also likable. However, Mother and Hold On, We're Going Home and the stand out tracks. This EP is a must have for any fans of Lissie or great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars I give you Lissie and band, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Cryin' to You (MP3 Download)
Once again Lissie and guys have come up with a collection of music tracks that are instantly register in the brain as WOW, musically wonderful with some of the best sound I,ve heard from the band, (if that,s possible) vocals, well this is Lissie, awsome and Fantastic as always, if your a fan you will buy this without thinking twice, and most likely, like me wish this was an album, not an EP, looking forward to the next album

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 April 2015