5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Read!!!!
ARC received from the author in return for an honest review.

I love the Kate Daniel's stories by Ilona Andrews so I couldn't wait to read this book, the first of hopefully many books in the Innkeeper Chronicles series.

Published 8 months ago by Jezabell Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not really me
This was hard to rate. I enjoyed this book enough to finish it and found the characters quite engaging, the whole interplanetary travel, council of vampires thing just lost me. If you like your supernatural with a sci-fi twist, I think this book and those that follow could be for you. Good, written well with some beautiful descriptive passages and likeable characters but...
Published 2 months ago by stephjames

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Read!!!!, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
ARC received from the author in return for an honest review.

I simply loved this book. It is similar to the Kate Daniel's stories in that Dina is a powerful and singularly determined girl who despite her best intentions develops feelings for Sean Evans, the local werewolf. Add in to the mix a dazzling vampire called Arland and you have a fascinating story with endless possibilities. There are twists and turns and you have to really concentrate because at times you can easily get lost in the complexity of the background to the storyline. The characters are fabulously quirky and their personalities adorable and with the wonderful blend of humour that is distinctly Ilona Andrews, you can't help but get swallowed up by the story. I can't wait to see where these stories go next and can only hope I don't have to wait too long.

"Clean Sweep" centres around Dina Demille an Innkeeper unlike any other. Dina runs a bed and breakfast but her guests and her house are far from normal. Magic courses through both the Inn and Dina and armed with her magic broom and demonic Shih Tzu called Beast, Dina tries to live a quiet life. Dina's only guest is a wonderfully described "Galactic aristocrat" a life guest of the Inn who is under Dina's protection.

Life in Dina's town takes an unexpected turn when something starts killing local pets. Dina decides to find out what is happening and along with her trusty broom goes in search of what is wreaking havoc. Dina's only ally is the alpha-strain local werewolf called Sean Evans. Sean is new to the town and despite Dina's initial reservations about him she accepts his support in hunting down the creatures responsible for the killings. Sean and Dina soon find that they are dealing with something more sinister than originally thought and following a visit from some vampire soldiers they come to understand the reasons for the attacks. Together with Arland, the charismatic vampire, Sean and Dina focus on luring the attacker out into the open.

The story is fast paced and has so many facets to it making it a compelling read. I love the magic elements of this book especially the way the house responds to Dina and her magic. The vampires are not your traditional vampires but more of an alien interpretation. Dina has a hidden depth to her which is intriguing and I'm sure as her abilities grow so will my love for her character.

Congratulations to Ilona Andrews on a memorable and thoroughly enjoyable read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean Sweep, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
I was lucky enough to receive a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.

My first Ilona Andrews book was "On The Edge" and at that point I was still thinking that it was a one person author, rather than a partnership. I loved that book (but that's a different review) so when I saw that they were asking for people to review Clean Sweep, I literally jumped at the chance. Now this was done as a serial on their website so some reviewers already had an idea of what it was about. I hadn't read the serial so went into this blind.

Let me just say this - it DOES NOT disappoint! This partnership works! In all ways necessary to have a simply amazing book with a depth of story and characters that will delight. The story is robust, without any holes that I could see and is hopefully just the start of a brand new series. I thought the whole premise of Inns being doorways to different worlds, and the Innkeepers that tend and care for them absolutely brilliant. The whole relationship between the Inn and the Innkeeper is one that will fill you with warmth, whether it's 'just' a building or not! I want my very own Inn, let me tell you!

Now, the characters. Dina is only young, at 24 she is one of the youngest Innkeepers. She was given Gertrude Hunt (the Inn) as it was one that had no innkeeper and had gone to sleep. It was Dina's job to awaken the Inn and to help make it thrive again. To do that, she needed guests. She has one, Caldenia. Let me assure you that whatever is lacked in numbers is made up with personality. I loved Caldenia and her insights and bits of wisdom, coupled with the sharp wit that she used to deliver said wisdom was wonderful. But then along come the males to rough up the smooth surface and life that Dina has tried to make. Sean is an Alpha Strain Werewolf with a four-by-four chip on his shoulder. Arland is a Vampire Marshall who holds honour high but will bite you as soon as smile at you for some insult or another. There is only a hint of romance in this book that is actually more flirtation and lust than anything else but it works. The relationship between these three is more about how they defend Dina's neighbourhood against the evil that is there rather than which guy gets the girl.

There is simply so much story packed into this novella, with so much more yet to explore. If you like Urban Fantasy or Urban Paranormal with a hint of Sci-Fi thrown in, then get yourself a copy of this. "Ilona Andrews" is an author to look out for and books to get. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly original, 16 Dec 2013
Voracious for Books "Voraciousforbooks" (South London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
When Ilona Andrews generously gave us this book in a weekly serial format it became the highlight of my week. When it ended I was at a loss as to what to do with myself - 'do some home work perhaps?' or get on with the housework? Never mind the mundane realities of my life. Ilona knows how to write superior fantasy. The inventiveness of the plot, characters and the oh so clever details are what lift this book from the brilliant into the something that's so damn good I don't have words for it. So even though I've read it already, I am buying this and hugging it to my meagre bosom. So there.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Clean Sweep" series book 1, 5 Mar 2014
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
Dina is the Innkeeper of a quaint Victorian B&B that caters to aliens visiting (or fleeing) to earth. With this position comes a large amount of power, wielded strongest within the confines of the Inn's domain. Her Inn isn't particularly well established, so Dina certainly can't afford any penalties should any guests complain or are harmed because of her actions; however she can't sit neutrally by as a predator starts savagely killing the local dogs. She's trying not to draw the attention of the local law enforcement; difficult when dragging around alien bodies before they can be discreetly disposed of, and she's finding it increasingly difficult to hide the strange goings on from her human neighbours. Despite her abilities, Dina needs help confronting this enemy, and she finds this in the luscious forms of alpha werewolf Sean and vampire Arland.

I'm a fan of this author and wasn't left disappointed by the start of this new series. Despite the alien sci-fi theme running throughout, there is an old school sword and sorcery feel to this book as heroine Dina brandishes about her handy morphing broomstick (which does everything but fly). In fact Dina's broomstick wielding abilities put Gandalf and his staff to shame. There's a good amount of humour amid the action and I particularly loved her little dog; the aptly named Beast who shouldn't be disregarded as posing no threat. The banter between Sean and Arland amuses; particularly as both are interested in Dina, but there isn't much action romance wise. Instead the focus is hunting down the creature responsible for some gory deaths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong addition to the Andrews collection., 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
I read along when this was originally serialised; it has only improved by being publised in one read. The small additions have added to the enjoyment, and to see that we'll be spending time at the inn in new year put a smile on my face. A good read, being that little bit different; not that I'd expect anything different from this innovative team.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean Sweep - Wanting more, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
Another fantastic story, beautifully written, just the right amount of suspense and magic. Just need book 2 to keep the happiness going.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted enjoyable read, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
I especially enjoyed and found very refreshing the application of the Si-fi element concept as opposed to the standard format applied to the majority of supernatural stories. My only slight down check comment was it being ever so slightly over priced. But that won't stop me looking to get the next story.

4.0 out of 5 stars New series, 6 July 2014
I've liked all of Ilona Andrews' books that I've read (with the Kate Daniels series being one of my favourite UF series ever). This was similar but different. I enjoyed it, but it didn't have the depth of the KD series or even of the World of the Edge series. It's a nice book to while away a day on the beach or a train journey. I liked enough that I will read the second book when it comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Clean Sweep (Kindle Edition)
Another fabulous bit of fantasy from my favourite author. Really hoping they bring another out and make it a series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied reader, 17 Jun 2014
Enjoyed this book and all the characters from the despotic lodger with genocidal past to the stubborn tree peeing werewolf if you like fantasy this is a series you will enjoy