VINE VOICEon 4 June 2014
Colour Name: Indigo|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been a fan of Bose headphones for a while now, but when it comes to earphones I've always got by with £20 Sennheiser or Koss ones. These are fine for the price, but I never knew earphones could sound like this.
On first inspection I was concerned, I wasn't at all convinced they'd be comfortable, or even stay in. I needn't have worried, they're very easy to fit, and stay securely.
The quality of sound is fantastic, almost as good as the large Bose headphones I use at home. They're not particularly bassy, but deliver a rich, deep sound with absolute clarity.
Whilst I concede these are very expensive, if you really want the best quality of music without large over-ear headphones, they're worth considering.
A slightly retro carry case is also included
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2014
Colour Name: Indigo|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Maybe it's me, but these buds just didn't sit right in my ears. I tried all 3 tips and made sure I was putting them in the right way round, but they just felt loose. Sure enough, a sharp tug on the lead popped one out far too easily - so these were a no-no straight away for exercising or running. It also caused (as witnessed by those around me) a fair amount of noise leakage - so not much good for the morning commute on public transport (unless you want people to hear your appalling taste in music).

Ok, they are not sold as "isolating" buds, but a better fit would certainly help in that regard. They are also not noise-cancelling, and partially due to the loose fit I had to ramp the volume right up to cope with the sound of traffic while walking to work; again, a more snug fit would have helped. There are plenty of earbuds out there which will solve both those problems at a fraction of the cost of these - I know, I've tried plenty.

So why spend £115 on these? Are you just paying for the name? Well, they ARE beautifully designed - tangle-free cable, in-line control in a sensible place, and a nice carry case are all pluses. The sound is also good. Very good - not tinny at the top end, but with a pullback on the bass; an excellent acoustic spread which suits all the genres I tried with it, along with audiobooks and podcasts. But, for me, that was all while sat at home listening in comfort, and I have got far better large headphones for that purpose. These are supposed to be used out and about and, for me, the fact that the sound reproduction was excellent was lost due to the loose fit, invasive background noise, etc.

Some people obviously love them, and good for them. The quality is undoubtedly there, as you would expect from Bose. But I was really disappointed, and find it difficult to recommend them at this price.

Then again, maybe I HAVE just got funny-shaped ears?
Colour Name: Indigo|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Bose earphones are rather special, managing to sound great and be comfortable enough to wear for hours. This model also doubles as an iPhone headset and looks a bit different too.

They sound brilliant for such small headphones, even though they don't block your ear canals - so you can still hear what's going on around you. If you want active noise cancellation you can get that - try the Bose ® QuietComfort ® 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - but I prefer to know when there's a car approaching! The sound is clean and detailed without any unnatural bass emphasis.

Bose earbuds are unlike any others: they have a soft silicone spike that fits in the bowl of your ear, so the earphones aren't being held in place by being wedged into your ear canal: instead, they sit gently in your ears and really can be worn for hours without any discomfort. It takes a couple of tries to get used to these "StayHear" earbuds, but its well worth the effort. There are three sizes to choose from - you will need to experiment to find which fit your ears best.

The controls and microphone are in-line just a few inches below the right earphone. There are volume controls and an answer/hang up button that you can also use to pause/play music - the pause/play works on Android phones too, but the impedance of the microphone is all wrong - for Android phones you should be using Bose ® MIE2 Mobile Headphones instead.

The style of these FreeStyle earphones is still very much in the Bose house style, but instead of the normal black and white the indigo earphones are dark blue and a light chemical green (the cable is spiral striped in these colours) with white detailing and a red clip and cable retraint. They look pretty good.

For a combination of lovely clear sound and comfort you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than Bose earphones. The styling is a matter of personal taste, but I like them.
Colour Name: Indigo|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The question of cost and value for money aside, the Bose Freestyle Earbuds are clearly a quality product that deliver very good sound from whatever portable music player you use. As far as value for money, they are compare well with other middle-end in-ear headphones I've listened to in the same price band. The question of spending this kind of money is still a consideration if the earphones develop a fault and don't last very long, but this Bose set comes with a 3-year guarantee that should put those concerns aside.

In terms of the sound quality - clearly the most important feature - the Bose Freestyle Earbuds deliver a clean sound with good dynamic range. I was a little concerned about the fit into the ears, and unable to find a set of eartips that would sufficiently block out exterior noise, but the volume and the quality of the sound is impressive. The sound is clear and not overly bright, the bass is reasonably well-defined, with good spacial separation and dynamic range. Personally speaking, I didn't find the shape of the in-ear buds and eartips comfortable over an extended period, but this will vary from person to person. The moulded clips at least ensure that the earbuds stay in place and never fall out. I wouldn't recommend the Freestyle for outside use in a noisy environment as there is no noise cancellation feature and insufficient sealing to provide sound isolation.

The inline remote features undoubtedly work better with an iPhone or iPod, but the call-pickup and microphone features should work with other phones. On a Blackberry, I was able to pickup a call in the middle of listening to music with a single touch of the remote, have a conversation, the music resuming when the call ended. This works really well, the microphone is well placed to pick up your voice clearly. The track skipping remote features only work on iPad and iPhone, but the pause button will work on other devices. I didn't find the connection to my phone the most stable. Any movement at all and the phone paused the music because of a broken connection, but again this might be device related and specific to my own phone. This might not be an issue with iPhones.

The Bose Freestyle Earbuds also come with a soft purse-like carrycase, three sizes of tips for the earbuds and a clip. Most importantly however, it comes with a 3-year guarantee, so I look forward to using these for a long while yet.
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2014
Colour Name: Indigo|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a fan of Bose headphones, and this is my third pair - I own the over the ear noise cancellation, the noise cancellation earbuds and now these.

Just like all of the other earbuds that Bose makes, these are comfortable to wear and are secure. The earbuds have soft silicone ear pieces - and come with three different sizes. You need to get used to the way they feel, but once you do, you'll find they are secure and comfortable, and provide with great sound because of how they fit within the ear.

Soundwise, they are great general headphones - just like all Bose products, the sound quality is up to par. I still prefer my noise cancellation Bose earbuds on planes or trains, but these are great for daily use. Also, I love the microphone on these as they work as an iPhone headset as well - equipped with volume controls and an answer/hang up button.

The carrying case is a bit bulky for such small headphones, so I don't see the point there. But that's really my only complaint!
on 5 January 2016
Decent headphones, some more base would be nice. Overall though the sound quality is good, happy for general day to day use. Found the buds difficult to get used to at first but found if you spend time trying the different sizes you find the ones that are perfect for you, not just for comfort but I found with one of the sizes the sound to be of slightly better quality with a little more base. These headphones are not noise cancelling and there is a fair but of noise bleeding from externally especially if walking near main roads. Having the volume quite high you kind of get used to it. Overall I would say for the price, and make they are pretty decent.
Positives:
- These provide very good sound. The bass is very strong and I'm really pleased with how deep the bass sounds when I turn up the volume. If you like heavy, thumping bass, these Bose earphones do the job.
- The earbuds are very comfortable to wear and seem to shut out a little bit more background sound than with other earbuds.
- The remote control works well on a 120GB iPod classic. I can turn up/down the volume and play/pause the track, which is handy. I can imagine using this on a beach rather than having to get suntan lotion all over the iPod itself!

Negatives
- I was very disappointed to find that the remote control simply did not work on my partner's iPhone 4S. The manual clearly states that these earbuds SHOULD work with iPhone 3GS and onwards, but they did not work on our particular iPhone 4S. I'm not saying that the problem is necessarily with the earbuds, but it was certainly disappointing.
- The earbuds do come with a case with is a good size and has a sturdy zip for protecting the earbuds. However, the case is plastic or 'pleather' rather than leather. I would have expected a top-of-range pair of earbuds like these to have come with a leather case rather than a plastic one.
- The sound quality is good in the bass and mid range but I found them just a little bit tinny in the higher notes when I turned up the volume. Not a major issue and still better sound performance than the cheaper pairs that I buy for myself, but I was disappointed that this was an issue with Bose.
on 24 April 2014
Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm really pleased with these ear buds. They are the most comfortable that I have ever tried - I've tried a lot because I have small inner ears, and many are painful to wear. These come with 3 sizes of tip, and the smallest fitted me. When I first tried them, I was convinced that they would fall out because I could barely feel them, but they don't, even if you shake your head or run. So far the bud tips are staying on the buds well, and I am hopeful that this time that will continue to be the case, unlike others that I have tried. That's because they clip on to the main bud instead of just being pushed on. The little hooks that you can see in the picture, are soft rubber, and they go in main part of your ear. There is a volume control just below the right side bud, which you quickly get used to using, and is really handy because you don't have to mess about trying to get to your player when you are busy in order to change the volume. The sound quality is pretty good, and compares well to other better quality ear buds that I have used. I like the bright blue colour as well, it makes them easier to spot when you've forgotten where you put them. Only one tiny grouch, in that the wires aren't the non-tangle ones. They aren't too bad though, so I've kept the five stars.
Update: one niggle that I hadn't noticed at first is that they are very poor at noise insulation; even with quite low external noise, I can't hear the audiobook that I am listening to.
Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well that's what they looked when I opened the secure but easily accessible substantial box they came in. They've got this white curving soft plasticky thing covering the bit of the phones that goes into your ear except it also curves round to fit in your ear just above and really do look as if they were designed to be a Vulcan hearing aid.

Whatever. They also happen to be the most comfortable hearing aids, sorry, earphones that I've ever worn. They're so comfortable I feel I've got to keep checking to make sure they're actually there and secure and in no danger of dropping out -they are there, they are secure, and they won't drop out. They're worth buying for this alone. If you won't mind looking as if you're wearing Spock's hearing aids. Spock is still cool, right?

Oh yeah, and the sound is about as good as it gets for earphones. We're talking Bose here and Bose is the best. Go on, treat yourself. You won't be disappointed.

Oh yeah and the little volume controls don't work on my Ipod -it says they only work on select models- but they're hardly essential and are so small at first I thought they were missing off mine.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2014
Colour Name: Blue|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can't fault these although for the price you have to wonder if its worth forking out 5 or 6 times the cost of my old JVC ones. I expect there is a law of diminishing returns in extra investment in products such as these. If I was subjected to a blind test I have to admit I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference in sound. The build is good. I've got used to the plastic ear "wings", they do look awkward to put on but after a couple of times I realised I just had to concentrate in getting the earphone in and then just twisting up the wing to fit inside outer ear. Again not much difference in excluding extraneous noise but they do score on extra stability and comfort. Handy clip to keep the wires against my shirt without too much loose wire . I could have done without carry case. The volume control isn't recognised by my (old) nano pod-a pity but I'm sure it won't affect many. One thing- I did think I had a faulty set with one channel muted-only to discover this model is susceptible to being clogged with earwax-keep tissues handy.