Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.99

on 30 June 2009
This album is a repackaging of "Showbiz Kids" which was a compilation released in 2005.

The track listings are identical and cover the period from 1972 to 1980.

The music however is nothing short of 5 stars, nicely priced and a good place for someone to dip their toe into The Dan's music.

As most of their albums are available at a bargain price I would also recommend checking those out.
on 26 March 2013
Perhaps Settly Dans best album was in retrospect "The Royal Scam" but here you have the best of all that and more "Reeling in the years" is my favourite closeley followed by "Haitian divorce" and dittys like "Ricky Don't Lose That Number" and "Kid Charlemagne" is another gem, no brainer this buy it and enjoy theres loads more.
on 20 September 2014
I have all the Steely Dan vinyl albums and the CD was for car listening. As ever they are faultless and timeless. They make driving an absolute pleasure. Highly recommended if you are just discovering them as it's an excellent cross section of their work.
on 19 September 2009
...another "Greatest Hits" album? Why? Surely after six long years, Walter and Donald should have put another feast of new material on record - I've only had "Morph The Cat" to keep me going during the drought! There is just no need for it after the "Remastered," "The Best of 2 CD." "Showbiz Kids" AND the 4 CD box set.

I can't believe that Becker and Fagen were keen on releasing yet another "Greatest Hits" compilation, it must've been the record company's idea - to make more money presumably.

Look folks, just take my word for it, don't bother with the "Greatest Hits" stuff, if you want to get into Steely Dan, buy ALL of their studio albums first and also purchase the live album "Alive In America.". Why? Quite simply, every single one of their albums sets a musical precedent which is so advanced, slick, well arranged and incredibly fulfilling, that you'll never look back.

Steely Dan have been my favourite band for many years now, nothing touches their genius. All of their albums, particularly from 1972's "Can't Buy A Thrill" to 1980's "Gaucho" are nothing short of timeless classics. Whilst you're at it, pick up Donald Fagen's three solo albums: "The Nightfly," "Kamakiriad" and "Morph The Cat." Having listened to all of these, literally thousands of times, I still pick out certain musical arrangments that I haven't really been made aware of before. What other band in the history of music has had the ability to give their listener an experience like that?

If you're reading this thinking "I'm still not convinced," consider this: Walter Becker and Donald Fagen didn't necessarily set out to create perfection in music - even for them, that would've been almost certainly unobtainable, but what they have admitted to is attempting to compose songs and albums which their fans will want to listen to over and over again until the end of time. In my humble opinion, not only have they achieved this, they've also pretty much achieved musical perfection with their gorgeous, eclectic, unique blend of rock and jazz combined with insightful, often subtley comical lyrics.

"Can't Buy A Thrill?" How insanely ironic!
55 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2013
For the many who remember some of this iconic music from the past, this is an excellent buy. 'Do It Again' remains one of my favourite tracks of any group.
on 5 December 2011
A lot of people don't really get Steely Dan. Then there are people like me who marvel at the musical content but are unable to penetrate the lyrics. A small minority, mainly Americans I suspect, actually understand what they are singing about. Anyway, this is one of countless compilations, in my opinion the best!

There are plenty of high points: my personal faves are Haitian Divorce and Deacon Blue, both of which are wonderfully atmospheric, and Boston Rag, the which has some particularly lairy guitar work. The only significant omission is Green Ear-rings! Chords, harmonies, instrumental solos, they are all exceptional, and the production is as pristine as you will ever hear.

For those who are unfamiliar, Steely dan are best described as funk/rock hybrid with a West Coast influence in their earlier albums, and a (modern) jazzier sound from the mid-seventies onwards. But their music defies easy categorisation. And as for the lyrics...unique and definitely worth buying.
on 16 April 2014
At 41, I can't believe I have only just discovered Steely Dan. What an amazing group, and what an amazing album!
on 22 February 2016
Nothing can be said than a great compilation of tracks from artists that filled my college years and afterwards with joy. Great guitar on the early numbers great song writing and even jazzy tracks that normally is not in my scope of music .For non converts just listen to this to appreciate the ability over todays manufactured products
on 21 February 2016
Well engineered recordings on 2 discs. Purchased to replace vinyl. As most of these compilations are, I suspect. Some tracks new to me so a pleasing concoction. Overall a satisfying purchase that leaves me wanting more.
on 27 January 2016
I used to love this band but I haven't listened to them for a while, so it was nice to pick this up and for such a reasonable price. Good quality sound and lots of my favourite tracks.