4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Ensemble Piece
One night in a seedy, rat infested Soho basement restaurant; five women
and an aging Hollywood actor make up the ingredients for a film which is
in-part engaging, amusing and shot through with the hopes, dreams and
memories of its principal players, all bound together by the overlapping
web of their individual neuroses and personal and professional...
Published 3 months ago by The Wolf

2.0 out of 5 stars Merely bad rather than really bad
Published 1 month ago by Trevor Willsmer

2.0 out of 5 stars Merely bad rather than really bad, 30 Sep 2014
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I Really Hate My Job has all the hallmarks of a typical unreleased British independent film: a down on their luck and therefore affordable American star to give investors the delusion that they'll get American distribution (Neve Campbell), a couple of familiar but affordable British faces (Shirley Henderson phoning in her frazzled child-woman shtick and a considerably better-than-her-material Anna Maxwell Martin) and a few people you've never heard of before and never will again, a director with more connections than talent (Oliver Parker, particularly unsuited to the modern comedies he constantly gets hired for) and a script that reads like an unproduced play. Set in a Soho restaurant café that no-one really wants to work in over one night when the chef doesn't turn up, a movie star (well, Danny Huston, even worse than most actors playing themselves) has booked a table and there`s a rat lurking around the place, it's merely bad rather than really bad, but still offers no reason to watch it or reward for doing so, so it's no surprise it's been sitting on the shelf for seven years before going straight to DVD - well, more eventually to DVD, really. The only real surprise is to find the name of Alan Parker (his last screen credit to date) as one of the producers.

The floor staff (Campbell, Martin and an appealing Alexandra Maria Lara) fare better than the irritating kitchen staff (Henderson and Oana Pellea), but with almost all the characters wanting to be something else (actress, artist, novelist), it's the kind of comedy drama that throws in too many knowing observations about what constitutes a well-crafted film or novel that just serve to remind you of how this keeps on falling short. Parker the director's attempts to stylise the film with occasional visual tricks and an insistence on obscuring all the café's patrons (which ensures that Barry Morse plays his entire part either out of focus or hidden behind a table lamp) irritates more than it enlivens, though they're as nothing to the film's third act which involves not one but two absurd moments with an out of the blue nude scene courtesy of Ms Campbell and her botty double and a musical sequence with a tuxedoed and mannered Huston singing Love is the Sweetest Thing in the style of Al Bowlly. Along the way there are a few mildly interesting moments, such as a pertinent metaphor comparing movies to ghost stories, but nothing worth paying good money for.

The DVD offers a decent widescreen transfer (the film isn't particularly good looking to begin with) and has a decent extras package - director's commentary, 34-minute behind the scenes featurette, stills gallery and trailer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Strong Ensemble Piece, 24 Aug 2014
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
One night in a seedy, rat infested Soho basement restaurant; five women
and an aging Hollywood actor make up the ingredients for a film which is
in-part engaging, amusing and shot through with the hopes, dreams and
memories of its principal players, all bound together by the overlapping
web of their individual neuroses and personal and professional insecurities.

It takes a while for the film to find its feet but once the characters' personal
narratives are established the momentum increases and the overall shape
of the story achieves greater coherence, although this is at times marred
by clunky editing (the freeze-frame photo trickery is especially irritating).

The narrow confines of the location create a sense of claustrophobia and
dramatic intensity as the women move in and out of one another's space.
The multiple collisions and snatches of dialogue slowly define the emotional
trials and tribulations of five lives bound together by a sense of fragile purpose.

Of the individual performances I was particularly taken with Oana Pellea's
Rita, a brassy, larger-than-life and passionate (if slightly bonkers) failed
socialist revolutionary but Shirley Henderson's voice (reprising her ghostly
Harry Potter manifestation Moaning Myrtle) nearly drove me crackers!

All-in-all a tidy little movie whose fine ensemble work is its greatest strength.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 8 Sep 2014
Love Halloween! "Happy to haunt" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This movie is seven years old. You have to wonder why it is being promoted at such a late stage in the game. I only fathomed this because it shows people smoking in the Soho restaurant and the smoking ban in the UK was 2007. The frustrating change between internal monologue and spoken dialogue meant at times a very busy moment for your head to process, I did think at times it must have been an editing error because of the speed in which it changed between the 2. The unbelievable factor is way up there, people smoking in the kitchen, a rat stuck down a garbage disposal, one of the staff constantly drinking out of the wine bottles she was supposed to be serving from. I am really disappointed, there are a few really funny moments, mainly in the kitchen, none of the 4 main female characters is entirely likeable and I am so sorry to see Neve Campbell take her clothes off.
Enough said. let sleeping dogs lie. Unless you like films that try to be arty and thought provoking whilst not achieving then I wouldn't rush to see this.

2.0 out of 5 stars ought to be better, 9 Sep 2014
Mrs "Love all sorts of books, Eng Lit degree,... (Potterton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really hated their job!

This could have been a much better film. It is set in a restaurant in one evening. The actresses all did a great job - these are seriously good actresses, including Shirley Henderson and Anna Maxwell Martin, but the material simply let them down.

It took 40 minutes for the film to raise my first smile, and then another fifteen to get a second one!

The only thing it did was make me never want to eat out again!

I wanted to like this more, and the performances were good... but... no!

2.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately unsuccessful, 1 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This could have been an interesting film - a strong cast and a script with some moments of wit.

However, it never quite works: the cast is strong but the characters flirt with caricature and are generally rather unlikable; there are moments of humour (I laughed more than once) but they are too few and far between; the staging is rather claustrophobic, it is all set in two rooms of a rat infested restaurant, and it often feels more like a TV play than a movie.

I'd like to be more positive but I cannot recommend this.

3.0 out of 5 stars each of them really hate their job....., 14 Oct 2014
Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I Really Hate My Job starring Neve Campbell is an OK film, certainly not the best film I have ever seen but then again it was not the worst one either.
The main character was acted by Shirley Henderson was Alice who was working in a kitchen this particular night the film is based around but her dream is to be a writer. Alice certainly does not want to be there and as she is surrounded by her workmates her night goes from bad to worse but they still provide an odd laugh here and there.
It is one of those films which is filled with constant jibes and each member of staff are there because they need the money, each of them have all their dreams which are slowly coming to nothing. But each of them hold unto these dreams and in their own unique way they are hoping one day to live them. This is clearly a black comedy which is filled with good acting and bad jokes - though one thing I cannot do is recommend it to all lovers of comedy as this is clearly one of those films which you will either love or hate.

1.0 out of 5 stars I really hate this film., 25 Aug 2014
Prof TBun (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
5 unsympathetic women, who have no empathy towards anyone else reluctantly working in a bad London restaurant.

The film gets of to a bad start with one of the women smoking in the restaurant in front of a baby. There is a lot of smoking in this film, it is adds nothing and seems completely out of place.

As I had suspected when I turned on the audio commentary, this film is a cathartic script for someone who has been a reluctant waitress in London herself.

I could not find any way of either caring about or believing in the characters or the restaurant. There was nothing really to stop them walking out on the spot and doing more rewarding things. With everyone hating what they were doing, having a rat running around the building didn't create any real drama, as what did anyone have to lose?

In most work workplace comedies the characters are at least trying to pursue their chosen profession. The viewer can then sympathise and believe in them. In this film there is nothing binding the characters to their jobs and that is a big problem. Perhaps in London you can survive with a rat infested kitchen, lack of a proper chef, rude inattentive staff and a dining room that stinks like an ash tray, but why should anyone care if such an establishment fails?

Not one interesting thing happens in this film. Even Neve Campbell revealing more of herself than is decent, fails to provoke any excitement.

To be fair to the cast, they were not the problem. They performed as directed.

If you want to see a really good film about a group of frustrated young women, I recommend "Offside".

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad film, 26 Aug 2014
A Smile and a Wave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's taken seven years to get this release of I Really Hate My Job on DVD, which isn't a good sign. That doesn't make it a bad film and indeed there were some excellent lines in it, plus the acting was good too. However the story was quite thin and the characters were one-dimensional; it also didn't help that the sound was less than perfect making some of the dialogue indistinct. Overall, I must admit to being a little disappointed with the film as the cast of fairly well-known faces had drawn me to it, and I had watched it hoping to be pleasantly surprised. In fact it isn't a bad film; it's just not that good either.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have cooked up a storm......but didn't., 9 Sep 2014
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wanted to enjoy this film and before writing my review had a peek at what others had to say about it to make sure I wasn't the only one who felt let down.....I wasn't.

It is a British film so I had high hopes, the cast are all good actors and the plot could have been great fun, but I found it all rather dull in a 'trying too hard to be deep and arty' kind of way. It wasn't the acting that was dull it was the script.

I watched it to the end and felt disappointed - it could have been so much more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 25 Aug 2014
Beanie Luck (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
Truly awful film.

Just a word to the wise, this film was made in 2007, no idea why they are releasing it on 22nd september. Look it up on Imdb.

Anyway, a bunch of women work in a kitchen, they all desire to be something they are not, dont we all, however they are all stuck together hating their jobs.

I honestly cannot find anything redeeming to say about this whatsoever.

Save your money.

I Really Hate My Job [DVD]
I Really Hate My Job [DVD] by Oliver Parker (DVD - 2014)