5.0 out of 5 stars A bouquet of barbed wire.
Published 2 months ago by Sue Kichenside

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on "An Education" by same author
An Education was witty and well written. "A Curious Career" is neither, It is merely a hotch-potch of Lynn Barber's already published interviews, hastily put together to make money from the success of An Education, both as book and film. Don't waste your money on this book. You will be disappointed.
Published 1 month ago by carroll lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars A bouquet of barbed wire., 11 May 2014
Sue Kichenside - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Curious Career (Hardcover)
I'm going to have to put my cards on the table here. I'm from the same generation as Lynn Barber; I've reached the stage in my life when I know what I like and I'm not going to do anything anymore that I don't like. Well, not if I can help it anyway. One of the things I certainly no longer enjoy is reading interviews with actors. You trudge through yards and yards of newsprint only to *discover* that, yes, they love to play 'challenging parts' and, yes, they 'can't wait to work with the director again' and, oh yes, they prefer to keep 'their personal lives private'. And just like that, another half-hour of your precious life has disappeared down the plug-hole.

One interviewer I always do read however, even when she's interviewing an actor, is of course the Demon Barber. And in this book we learn why her interviews always prove to be so interesting. Firstly, it's because she does her homework, spending a huge amount of time on research before the interview (so she won't ask the interviewee something they've been asked a hundred times before). She wastes not a second of precious interview time and refuses to do less than a one hour interview (she explains how nowadays even serious interviewers get trapped by the PR machine into flying half way round the world for a 15-minute slot with a star.) She always tapes her interviews (so perhaps 'a bouquet of wired barbs' would be a more accurate header) and spends at least a week writing them up.

This book contains the background to a selection of interviews, all of which make fascinating reading, even the ones where people I like or admire come off rather badly (Martin Clunes and Rafa Nadal). A Curious Career also updates the reader on Barber's terrific memoir An Education. Lynn Barber is self-aware, occasionally acerbic (and therefore sometimes quite scary), intuitive, intelligent and she also comes across as devastatingly honest. Above all, she is genuinely interested in people. This book is highly recommended for anyone who feels the same.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on "An Education" by same author, 13 Jun 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Promised much, delivered ........., 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Curious Career (Kindle Edition)
This book was publicised quite a lot in the media. Having read it I didn't find anything particularly surprising or earth shattering. The author seemed to dwell on Tracy Emin quite a lot, unnecessarily, I felt. Probably better bought from a charity shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of The Celebrity Interview, 27 May 2014
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Curious Career (Hardcover)
I'd previously heard of Lynn Barber via her book and the subsequent film concerning her late schooldays entitled 'An Education' which led to me becoming aware of her excellent celebrity interviews in The Sunday Times Magazine. Tying into her appearance on BBC2's 'The Culture Show' I decided to begin reading this memoir straight afterwards and I'm so glad that I did. Pithily written as you'd expect, this book charts Barber's memories of past interviewees including such luminaries as Rafa Nadal, Martin Clunes and Robert Redford. Filled with huge insight and sarcastic wit about her subjects it provides a masterclass on how interviews should be carried out without of the usual brand of sycophantic style that many journalists seem to churn out these days. I was also interested to read how much preparation goes into the early stages of the process to ensure that Barber doesn't cover similar ground to previous interviews.

My only complaint that it was far too short, but I'll seek out the author's other titles as a result. Brilliant stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars doesn't do her justice, 15 May 2014
This review is from: A Curious Career (Hardcover)
Lynn keeps her cards close in this book and does not reveal anything about herself. A lot of it is interviews copied and pasted from her published interviews with no additional colour/depth around them. If you are a fan of her writing or even just read the Sunday Times regularly you will have read most of them anyway. She is a true inspiration and a fantastic interviewer and journalist but I'm not sure what the book adds to what people have read already. I suspect if you are an aspiring young journalist this would be up your street as it gives tips on what makes a good interview.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 8 July 2014
This review is from: A Curious Career (Hardcover)
Love lyn barber,but this book a little short in terms of content.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Curious Career (Kindle Edition)
Sadly disappointing. It would have been better if more interviews were discussed. Not as interesting. As I'd hoped it would be

3.0 out of 5 stars Interview rehash, 17 Jun 2014
J. Power (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Curious Career (Kindle Edition)
An ok read, but very little about Lynn herself or her views on her past career from a current day perspective. After a while it felt like a rehash of one interview after another with little comment in between. Neither enlightening nor surprising. Felt somewhat cheated and disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A masterclass in the art of media interview, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Curious Career (Hardcover)
Lynn Barber is feared and admired in almost equal measure, and it swerves depending on whether you are the subject or the reader of her piercing pen. Long a fan of her journalism, I devoured this book in one sitting and relished the revisiting of some of her most memorable interviews. The insight into Hilary Mantel is probably the best interview ever with the award-winning novelist.

3.0 out of 5 stars A curious book, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Curious Career (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book after having seen Lynn Barber interviewed on the Andrew Marr show.
Although she has obvious talent as an interviewer and Journalist, I was expecting to read more about her life and not so many repeats of her interviews.
Perhaps this book is more suited to budding journalists.

A Curious Career