4.0 out of 5 stars Small but with a decent capacity. A bit fiddly.
This device resembles a standard USB plug mated to a micro USB plug. Somewhere in the middle is 16Gb of storage. There are 8Gb, 32Gb and 64Gb variants too. Does it really work?

Likes
-----
Published 8 months ago by Ralph Bacon

2.0 out of 5 stars Gets very hot and dies a lot
This product gets very hot!! I don't recommend you use it to copy large files, it will get too hot and cut itself out.
Due to it getting so hot I doubt it will last long.

However I've done a few tests on it.
Average Write Speed: 8.02 MB/s
Average Reading Speed: 22.64 MB/s

I also ran a fake USB test : http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/...
Published 6 months ago by Jammers

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but with a decent capacity. A bit fiddly., 2 July 2014
Ralph Bacon "Aresby" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kingston 16GB Micro USB 2.0 DataTraveler Flash Drive (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Likes
-----
It's small and light. It has a small bar-shaped handle into which you can insert a lanyard (included) and presumably attach it to a keyring or something. I'm not sure I'd want this dangling from a keyring though; whilst not exactly delicate it's not made of metal either so you could have it drop off after it's been bashed about by your keys.

Super easy to use. The standard USB port just plugs into your PC or laptop, just like any other (small) USB stick. You can then copy files onto it. Then you pull it back a bit, swivel it to expose the micro USB and plug that end into your phone. My LG G2 immediately identified it as 'external storage' and it behaved just like it did on my PC. As a test I copied a few PDFs across and the phone just opened them up without fuss.

Just a caveat here: If you try and connect the full sized USB plug to your phone's micro USB with a cable convertor (i.e. USB to micro USB) then nothing happens and the device is not recognised - it appears that only the micro USB is 'on the go' enabled (understandably).

Quick to copy stuff across - a speedy drive.

Dislikes
--------
My phone has a nice protective case on it. Unfortunately that means the micro USB plug won't push into the phone's socket because the little bar-type handle gets in the way of the case. I have to either remove it from its case or push that bit of the case out of the way before it will connect. I did consider removing the handle (it's only a bit of plastic) as I'm unlikely to use the lanyard anyway - then it would fit easily.

Only works with Android devices, so iThing users will have to find a different model.

Conclusion
----------
The 64Gb version offers best value for money at about £20 compared to £6 for my 16Gb version. That said, I can't grumble at the price or performance of my 16Gb version - it offers a sensible amount of storage for very little cash.

Be aware of the clip potentially fouling the case as you try and insert it but apart from that it's a perfect little device.

[Edit June 2014: I removed the little handle clip and it now fits my phone perfectly. To prevent losing this tiny device I've plugged it into a USB extension socket and keep it in my travel bag.]

5.0 out of 5 stars small drive, big on memory, 23 Jun. 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
EDIT: Not sure if Amazon might remove the following link, but the QR code on the packaging leads you to the Kingston site with compatible devices listed. If your device is not on the list, then it may not work for you:
[...]

This device is very small and consists of a USB plug on one end and a micro-USB plug on the other. The micro-USB end is capped off with a plastic shield to protect it. Just pull the cap slightly and it can then rotate it up and out of the way. BE WARNED: The cap and the lanyard anchor point can get in the way with some phone cases, especially those with additional impact protection around the ports. When it is plugged in it does get warm, and as heat energy is wasted energy, this suggests to me that your battery will drain faster.

It is very simple and easy to use. If you are going to be transferring data to or from the drive when plugged into your phone / device then you will need some form of file manager installed - there are plenty of them freely available in the app store. I found that when I stored a load of videos on the drive, I didn't need to transfer them to the phone, the installed video player recognised that they were there and I could play them directly off the drive.

This is a great device, a good price and data transfer speeds are pretty good, but you do have to ask yourself if you really need it. Most of the time I just plug my phone into the computer and transfer files directly onto or off the micro-SD card. If someone has files on their phone that I need they either email them, WhatsApp them or Bluetooth them to me. I guess you could just store files on it for use, but I would say invest in a bigger micro-SD card. You can get 64GB class 10 cards for under 20GBP.

I am still happy to give this 5 stars even though I can't see a personal use for it. I guess if you were going on holiday and wanted to back up your photographs each night it would do the job well. I would just say that before you buy this, think about what use you are going to have for it and do you really need it, otherwise it will end up as another item in the gadget grave yard.

5.0 out of 5 stars works perfectly on both nexus 5 and nexus 7, 4 April 2014
This wee device works perfectly on my nexus 5 and 7.
Most smartphones support usb On The Go

All you need is to visit google play store search and download OTG disk explorer lite
Then plug in usb drive wola

enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little USB memory stick, 22 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It certainly is small compared to others I've used. It connected and worked with a Moto G phone, a Samsung tablet, a Lenovo tablet, a Win 7 pc, a Win xp notebook - read and copied files on all devices fine. Kingston have been around as suppliers of memory devices for sometime now so I have no qualms about quality here however I'll update this review if and when any issues occur while I'm using it. It could be argued in these days of cloud plans and unlimited data access that there is little need for these memory sticks. However some will still prefer to use something like this where confidentiality is assured and where you personally and only control data transfers.

Inside the info slip there is a small cord to attach to the device which then could be attached to a key ring. Slight minus point to me would be the fact that there is a flip over cover for the micro usb end but no sort of cover for the standard usb end. However I guess the micro end is more vulnerable though. Very neat and to me very well priced. I've been using the Sandisk equivalent of one of these (SanDisk SDDD-016G-FFP 16 GB Ultra Dual USB Drive - Frustration-Free Packaging) for some months now and while I've been happy with it this Kingston product strikes me as more robust and better value for money. I've slipped this one into my wallet now and it will be my memory device of choice for some time to come I think - excellent value.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gets very hot and dies a lot, 28 Aug. 2014
Due to it getting so hot I doubt it will last long.

However I've done a few tests on it.
Average Write Speed: 8.02 MB/s
Average Reading Speed: 22.64 MB/s

I also ran a fake USB test : http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/
Data OK: 29.28 GB (61405600 sectors)
Data LOST: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Corrupted: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Slightly changed: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)
Overwritten: 0.00 Byte (0 sectors)

So at least its not a fake.

5.0 out of 5 stars The unit is very small and easily transportable but does (as others have noted) get rather ..., 26 Aug. 2014
I bought this so that I could load films to watch on my nexus7. With the necessary software purchased from Gooogle and a free DVD ripper downloaded from the net, it works well. The unit is very small and easily transportable but does (as others have noted) get rather warm in use.
Overall an inexpensive and effective method of extending the memory of the nexus tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is tiny and useful It works on smart phones and just about anything ..., 30 July 2014
foxcylady - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is tiny and useful

It works on smart phones and just about anything that has a micro USB slot. Your smart phone or device needs to be comparable with "on the go" some devices may need an app to make them so, but my KitKat smart phone didn't nor did my Lenovo tablet which is Jellybean. I use this to expand my memory I can carry books music etc which can be handy when away from home.

It is very small and not particularly bullet proof though so it needs careful handling and storing and unfortunately is easily lost if not attached to a lanyard. I would not recommend putting on a key ring as I would worry about breaking it.

All in all it's a great addition to my smart phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently small, versatile and well priced. Works great with my phone., 5 Aug. 2014
Great little product. It is very small, and is just longer than two usb plugs back to back. It comes with a small laniard to attach it to your keys, but I would suggest replacing it for a stronger / more durable one to avoid loosing it. It would be better if it were USB 3, but USB 2 will suffice for most needs. With the micro usb and OTG you can plug it into your phone and backup your data or use data from elsewhere. The plastic flap protects the micro usb when not in use, but can be in the way when in use, as it flips up in only one direction. However you can carefully remove the flap. At this price and free delivery, and with a good brand like Kingston - you can't go wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars unclips and rotates, 5 Aug. 2014
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
this looks like a good idea a tiny flash drive to transfer files to and from a phone
it is a great design, a full size usb unclips and rotates to show the micro usb
only problem is I have been unable to get it to work
I have got the recommended file transfer app the es file explorer
this can only find files on my phone, I have tried a name search
it still only shows the files I have on my phone
I can see the files I have tried to transfer when it is plugged into my computer
I might need another app, so this review has to be limited to the data traveller design

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For My Moto G phone, 28 Aug. 2014
Bought this for my Moto G phone and it worked right out of the box.

Feels very sturdy and high quality.

No complaints and would buy again.