5.0 out of 5 stars MacBook styling
I received one of these direct from the company to try out. They have not asked for or suggested that I write a favourable review, they have left me to write what I want good or bad.

Published 7 months ago by SBno1

My immediate reactions to the Sabrent Premium 4 Port Aluminium USB 3.0 Hub were very positive. It comes in one of those annoying plastic blister packs, except that this one has a little notch at the back which makes opening it nice and easy. It also has a nice Apple-like appearance.

Published 8 months ago by Mark Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars MacBook styling, 1 May 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sabrent Premium 4 Port Aluminum USB 3.0 Hub (30" cable) for iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, or any PC (HB-MCS4) (Electronics)

This is a robustly buily solid block hub with softly rounded sides and it has the look and styling that you would expect from an Apple device. It has a detachable USB lead which is of a generous length and the lead itself is one that is often seen on USB 3.0 external hard drives. The ports are spaced out evenly and with enough clearance to allow some of the slightly fatter plugs to fit alongside each other. Although I do have one USB 3.0 pen drive that is so wide it crowds out the adjacent ports. However, for most of the devices I have there is ample room between ports.

If you are likely to experience overcrowding of the ports, Sabrent do a very nice USB 3.0 hub that works with Windows and Mac where the ports are spaced out around a 4 sided box. It doesn't have the same sleek look as this one, but it is a bit cheaper:

Whilst this was designed around a Mac book it worked perfectly on a Windows PC. I plugged it into a USB3.0 port, it was detected instantly and ready to use within moments. I duly plugged in 2 USB 3.0 pen drives, an iPhone and a USB 2.0 pen drive. then I substituted one of the USB 3.0 pen drives for a USB 3.0 external 2.5" hard disk drive. All worked perfectly. I was able to read and write to all devices. Obviously if you are reading and writing a lot of data to the devices simultaneously then you may see a drop in speed for the devices, this is to be expected from all hubs such as these.

I then tried this on a Mac Book Pro and like the Windows PC the combinations I tried all worked without a problem. Whilst USB 3.0 ports are slightly better in terms of power output over the USB 2.0 ports, you may still experience problems if plugging in several power hungry devices. Whilst I wasn't able to test it, I wouldn't expect this to be able to power 4 external hard disk drives. There is an additional auxiliary power socket on the hub, but no lead is supplied. If you can find one to fit, you can give the hub a bit of a juice boost.

Bottom line. A very stylish hub that looks good next to a Mac and is an ideal expansion to the existing ports. Perfect for when you have a bunch of pen drives or licence dongles that you need to keep connected. It is lightweight and slips nicely into a laptop bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adequate USB 3.0 hub, 17 April 2014
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
If you're looking to be able to charge USB gadgets up, use pen drives, power portable speakers all at the same time, you need one of these hubs.

In the box you get -

- The four port hub which is only 4 inches long, 75g in weight
- USB 3.0 cable 31.5 inches long

This is a simple plug and play item. No external power needed, no drivers to install, no set up.

All four ports in this hub are USB 3.0 enabled. The are able to run the newest version of USB 3.0 which is up to ten times faster than USB 2.0 at transferring data and pretty quick in use! You can still use your now snail pace USB 2.0 stuff through this! Fully backward compatible.

I swear by USB 3.0 nowadays but you do of course need to plug the hub in to a USB 3.0 port on your pc. So make sure you're using the correct one.

USB 3.0 is usually identified by the port being a blue colour but I see on this hub that the ports are not coloured blue although the 31.5 inch cable does have the blue identifying connection.

The hub is made from aluminium with a matt like finish. This is not a highly polished/brushed smooth finish. The hub feels well built and the ports are well spaced.

In use -

I've used this hub on pc's running vista and the madness that is windows 8 and it was fine. I put some USB speakers, my Samsung Galaxy Note and some pen drives through this. It gets luke warm but not hot during long use. There is no sluggish data transfer at all and the ports provided a nice fit with no wiggle.

A few minuses -

One annoyance was that the cable supplied is that thick and inflexible that it's hard to sit the hub down flat as the hub is so lightweight the cable flips it over easily. It takes some messing with to get it right! Also another pain is that this aluminium hub sounds nice but mine is scratched already which is why I mentioned that it isn't brushed aluminium and is feels powder coated. One final thing which the distributors may add to the product description is it doesn't say if this hub is power surge protected for your connected devices. I have reviewed many of these hubs and every one of them have been.

One thing to note is that this hub has no external power source so your plugged in devices cannot exceed 900mAh/5v in total or the hub will not function properly. It will not charge an Ipad up either.

After saying all that. . .it does work, it does allow four USB devices to operate within its limits with no problem :)

This hub was kindly provided for me to test and review by the distributor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Smart 4 Hub Port for your device -David Beckhamesque? And a Warning about Opening!, 16 April 2014
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Sabrent Premium 4 Port Aluminum USB 3.0 Hub allows you to have 4 USB ports from just one on your device.

I say device but the Sabrent premium is first foremost designed to match the sleek white lines of Apple Products.

That will be its major selling point.
(It does work well though and does the job it is designed to do)

But all said and done it does really look the part.
It is sleek, compact, wonderfully designed.
If Concorde were still flying now you would find this 4 port USB hub next to the Apple products on board.

The device is made from aluminium but has a strange outer coating.
It's non slip and the feel of it is really hard to describe.
It stays put on your desk which is good.

I found that although small the slots were wide enough to get 4 USB devices in well.
They all face the same way so this makes your desktop easier to arrange and a lot smarter- unlike the cheaper 4 compass point pointing 4 hub devices..
The gadget is really light and that means its a joy to carry around.

It really does look sleek- almost 'Beckamesque' smart, well designed admired by all.
Maybe too admired like the man himself?
Maybe I should write my name on the base to stop it going walkies.

Despite its good looks there is a decent USB port at its heart. Sabrent build good products that work and work well.
This is no exception.
I won't go into all the specific features. They are handled well and in depth in Amazons description.

The good news is that it is plug and play- you don't require any Cd full of software or a complicated manual to set it up. It is simple the way most things should be.
The cable is shielded which enables safe and competent delivery of data.
It is robust and with care, should last a long time- maybe even longer that you Apple product remains the most up to date Apple product ;p.
I can see this being used for a whole succession of products.

A couple of points.
The cable is over 30 inches (31.5 actually) long so great for working on desktops and you really need to read the maximum load that the device can handle.
The input cable to the device is a strange looking one. It fitted well only after I had to check and recheck which way up the connection went in.

Just in case you miss that I am including the warning here.
' Please Note:
2.4Ghz wireless devices, such as wireless keyboard and mouse adapters, may not work in close proximity to USB 3.0 devices or hubs. Connecting to a USB 2.0 port is recommended.
For a stable connection, the devices connected to the 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub must not exceed a combined current of 5 volts 900 mAh. External hard-drives should be connected to an external power source. This 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub will not charge an iPad (it will only sync).'

Now the packaging is really a b*gger to open.
I used a pair of sharp scissors and use care so as not to cut nor damage the contents.
The plastic is really SHARP and TOUGH and I mean 'slicing your finger off sharp' here so really TAKE CARE with opening the thing.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

All said and done this is the smartest, sleekest 4 port hub device I have used and at this price worth every penny.

I was provided with my hub by the firm for review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does everything you would expect, 18 April 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This product works well and is pretty good!... It is perfect if your needs dictate that you need various USB devices plugged into your computer at the same time and don't have enough ports available on your computer.

The product is packaged nicely and you get the hub and the cable in the packet.

This is a USB 3.0 hub which will operate both on apple computers and also other brands. It has an aluminium look which is smart and fits in nicely, especially with Apple computers. It is quite unobtrusive as it isn't very big. I have noticed that it picks up marks on the unit pretty easily though.

It has no external power source, so it is definitely worth remembering that in use, as there is a limit to what you can run off it at the same time.

The only real criticism I have of the item is the cable. It looks good and it does it's job. However, there isn't much give in it.. It is thick and isn't going anywhere.... Which is great in terms of strength, but not so great in that it means that it will move the hub itself out of its flat position on your desk. It is very hard to put it where you want it and make it stay there.

This works very well for the purpose it is intended. It does everything in terms of usage that you could want this kind of hub to do.

This hub was sent to me in return for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Quality USB hub, 18 April 2014
Antoine Camilleri - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This is a premium plug and play USB3.0 USB hub compatible with both Apple and Windows computers. It will also appeal to Linux based computer users. In fact you will not receive any software disk with the package. Build quality is top notch with lovely sleek minimalistic design finished in aluminium. It will fit perfectly next to any Apple computer thanks to its premium looks which mimic the Mac/MacBook aluminium with white finish.

This tiny hub measures 9.8 x 3.5cms and only around 1.8cm thick. It sports 4 well spaced USB 3 ports and comes with a removable 75cm cable which is quite thick. This is most probably due to shielding, which ensures less interference when transferring data. Some might not like the thickness of the cable, yet being removable means that one could probably get a third party cable. The relatively long cable will appeal to desktop users.

There is a note in the product description on Amazon (and the packaging) so I cannot criticise Sabrent for the following:
Quote "For a stable connection, the devices connected to the 4 Port Aluminum Hub must not exceed a combined current of 5 volts 900mAh. External hard-drives should be connected to an external power source. This 4 Port Alumimum hub will not charge an iPad (it will only sync) "Unquote

It definitely charges my iPad Air, even when my USB powered hard drive is connected, yet it does not charge the iPad 3.
I use the Sabrent with my USB 3.0 enabled Windows 7 desktop connected to a Seagate My Passport Ultra USB3.0 drive (USB powered and not externally powered).

I have performed the following tests: Seagate refers to the Seagate My Passport USB 3.0 2TB Drive.

1 Transferring large 8 GB files to and from the Seagate - No issues at all.
2 Transferring large files between a Sandisk USB thumb drive and the Seagate - No issues at all
3 Charging devices: iPad Air, Nexus 7 and Smartphones - No issues
4 Charging iPad 3 - No Success (As mentioned in Sabrent's instructions)
5 I have even taken it a step further and connected a second Seagate USB powered drive. Whilst there were no issues with any of the drives during individual use, I did encounter disconnection issues when trying to transfer files between both external drives. So I will stick to one USB powered drive on the Sabrent.

I have also tried it on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro which only supports USB2, and again it worked flawlessly.

No USB 3.0 hub will upgrade a USB 2.0 computer. Yet if you intend to buy a new computer or upgrade to a USB 3.0 PCIe card in the near future, than this hub is worth considering. It will still work on USB 2.0, and is future proof.

This Sabrent USB 3 hub oozes quality and reflects great craftsmanship! It does what it is meant to do very well. Yet read the tin, and if it meets your needs, you really can't go wrong.

Highly recommended product, meriting a 5 star rating.

Note: I noticed that there is a DC input socket on the hub itself. I will ask Sabrent whether this hub can be actually powered and will keep you posted as soon as I get a reply.

(Sabrent has kindly sent me this USB 3 for an honest, unbiased review)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, stylish hub but slightly disappointing cable, 16 April 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:16 Mins

This hub was sent to me for review. It is a very good-quality item: it's well-made, exceptionally stylish and performs well.

The hub's main selling point over others is its style. It has been designed to go with Apple products and the hub itself certainly looks the part. It is small, light and very neat, with an aluminium casing and white plastic ends. It looks great and works perfectly - just plug in and use. It is USB 3.0, and I noticed no loss in transfer speeds compared to plugging direct into my laptop's USB ports and the ports on the hub are nicely placed to be compact but give adequate room for four USB plugs at once.

I do think the hub is slightly let down by the cable. It is a nice white colour, but it is quite long (about 75cm) and rather thick and inflexible which means that there's a lot of cable which won't stay where it's put. I find that getting the hub to stay where I want it is not easy and there is a lot of cable around my laptop. A slimmer, more flexible and (for me, anyway) shorter cable would improve things.

The packaging is a nightmare. It is sealed in that finger-lacerating sort of plastic which you have to cut to open and then risk serious bloodshed while extracting the contents.

In summary, this is a good quality hub whose style will appeal especially to Apple users but which looks good and works well with any computer. I found the cable awkward, but not everyone will agree. I can recommend this hub.

5.0 out of 5 stars As if it had been designed by Jonny Ive himself..., 7 Sep 2014
S. D. SLATER "Sy Slater" (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
Beautifully made aluminium 4 port hub, great if you have an iMac in a tight area up against a wall or even wall mounted. This enables easy access to some ports without rummaging around around the back blind or with very little access.

It's pretty rapid for a hub, but them it should be as it's USB3...

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, 10 Jun 2014
M. Williams "Matt Williams" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I must be dreadfully lazy because I don't like having to reach down to my PC to plug USB devices into it.

So I've got this USB hub permanently sitting on my desk within easy reach, connected to my PC with the supplied cable. The cable has a USB 3.0 Micro-B plug on the end that plugs into the hub which is a little unusual looking but apparently standard so if it were to break you can replace it. It's pretty robust though so I doubt whether it's going to break any time soon.

I've got a couple of very short cables permanently plugged in so that I can recharge my phone and my wifi device, and so I can plug my camera in to download photos. The hub is USB 3.0 and I have found it to be satisfyingly fast.

I think it's quite attractive and works well.

This item was provided to me for free in return for writing an unbiased review.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent product but not as good as the cheaper one from the same manufacturer, 19 April 2014
Mark Pack (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Closer inspection, however, was not quite so good. It does the job of being a hub perfectly well, but there's something very oddly rough about the outside finish, which means you have to be careful what rubs against it as it can scratch other items. (My little test of this caused small scratches on another - already battered so safe to test! - device.)

Also, the USB cable it comes with is neither short enough to be neat nor long enough to let you conveniently use the hub a fair distance away from your computer. It's also a rather chunky cable, which means it doesn't bend neatly out of the way, and kept on twisting my hub upwards, so it wouldn't lie flat on the desk.

Myself? I'd go for the Sabrent 4 Port Portable USB 3.0 Hub (9.5" cable) for Ultra Book, MacBook Air, Windows 8 Tablet PC (HB-SGAR), which also comes with a slightly odd finish, but it's a non-scratch one and that hub is smaller, neater, comes with a more convenient cable and fits better with my mainly black equipment. If you've got lots of white Apple products, this one might be preferable, though I suspect you might at least want a different cable.

Note: a review copy of the hub was provided to me by the manufacturer.

3.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, 18 April 2014
Asphodelia (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I must disclose that I was offered this product by the manufacturer in exchange for an unbiased review.

I tested this hub with two different computers, both Apple computers, an iMac (late 2008) which has USB 2.0 ports and a MacBook Air (late 2012) which has USB 3.0 ports.

I am glad to re(port) (see what I did there?) that the hub works with both. I tested it with the following gadgets:

iPod Nano (2nd Gen): the iPod charged and synced ok;

- iPod Classic (2008) - the iPod charged and synced ok;

- Printer (HP, 2011) - the printer worked fine.

- Camera - Canon Powershot HS 50x - the camera correctly connected to the Image Capture application on the computers.

- Apple Mighty Mouse - the mouse worked.

- iPod Shuffle (2nd generation) - mounted and charged.

All in all, I would be happy to recommend this product. The only slight annoyance is that the cable is very thick and inflexible, which makes the positioning of the hub rather awkward and prevents it from sitting flat on your desk. In that respect, the USB 2.0 version of this product (which I also reviewed here Sabrent 4 Port USB 2.0 Aluminum Hub) has a much better design - shame that it didn't work with any of my machines.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced hub, this will do the job.