on 18 May 2014
Ive not owned a laptop for many years, having decided to use an iPad for most day to day things. And as good as an iPad is there are many things that you simply cant do. So I took the plunge and bought this one. Its light but feels solid, the keyboard is as good as you can get, graphics and sound are quite adequate. It can run image/video processing whilst doing other things more than easily which was my reason for purchasing it. I have rated it at 5 stars as I think it warrants that, certainly by comparison with some other well known makes that for the same money only come with half the amount of memory.
on 14 July 2014
I am very pleased with the computer, once I had got rid of the awful Windows 8 start screen (replaced by Stardock's Start8 Windows 7 style opening) I soon got my head around it having had a similar model only recently.

My main problem is, as always, with Microsoft. How a company can make their own products obsolete requiring mind boggling and time wasting work to make previous files compatible beats me. If only everything I have was not tied to this awful company I would jump ship and get a more sympathetic operating system.
on 7 June 2014
Excellent machine for price..8gig of Ram does the job as windows 8 can be very hungry :-) would recommend to anyone
on 21 July 2014
Only had to change its 5400 rpm hdd that really bogs down this otherwise superb machine. Upgraded to a Samsung 840 Evo and it truly shines now. Will definitely recommend it for business and causal user.

This is, however, not a gaming machine and it has no discrete card to power up any decent game. I tried playing Mass Effect 3 on this game and it could barely operate at minimum settings. But this is just information for future customers. I have no reason to deduct a star because I knew it wouldn't be able to play games.

Its well worth the money (I bought it for £379 though I see its at a discount now) and would definitely recommend as long as you understand that it doesn't have a gaming graphics card in it and you should upgrade its pathetic hdd to an ssd (something like even a cheap £50 kingston ssd investment will go a long way) to really unlock its potential.

If you are going to upgrade to SSD, one point to consider is: this motherboard is limited to SATA II - most new SSDs are backward compatible but just in case you're looking at an SSD that isn't (technology moves so fast!), you won't be able to use it with this laptop.
on 13 June 2014
Its not totally amzing but it is totally sufficient.
Copying large amounts of data is faster than my old ltop.
It doesn't hve a problem doing anything usually. I'm a techer and I dont play xtreme gmes.
Sometimes it's a bit slower if you re doing a virus check while watching a film, although that might be in part due to the virus software.

All in ll I really like it, nice big HDD, well laid out ports: good bttery life.
Sound qaulity (through my hifi is better I think too. The laptop speakers are ok.
Basically silent.

Oh it has a nice small powersupply, so it doesnt take u a lot of space in a bag.

Also has bluetooth which is great for using a bluetooth mouse: lets you keep USBs free for other things (it has 3, inc 1 USB3)

I'm getting used to the keyboard, I wont be cruel about it, Im ure it will get better with practice but at the moment I miss a lot of th keys. It is not due to the quality of the keys though, they do work, its just that they dont respond like my fingers are used to...

I looked for a while (recently (june 2014) and it was the best in this price range on the market: if this is the top of your price bracket, just get it you won't be dissapointed
on 6 September 2014
I am only giving this expensive paperweight one star because Amazon won't let me give it a negative star rating. If I could, it would be -5 stars. I never thought I could be this disappointed with a laptop purchase from Amazon. I have no idea how this item could have such high reviews from so many other users. My experience has been nothing but bad from the very beginning.
I had owned this "laptop" (and I use that term very loosely, since it seems to work much better as a paperweight) for only a week when they keys started coming loose from the keyboard. I was a bit disappointed, since it took my last laptop a good four years to start losing keys, but I thought it's not the end of the world. I bought this laptop in May. By the first week in August it was making very funny noises. Then it stopped working all together. That would be a THREE MONTH OLD laptop. The hard drive was completely gone after a mere three months and the keys were all coming loose on the keyboard. We sent it away to be repaired. When we got it back, it still did not work. My husband spent some time talking to some tech people online and after seven hours, we finally had it "working" again. Again, I use the term "working" very loosely. It starts up and I can do stuff online with it as long as I have all day to keep messing around with it to get it to do what I want. In other words, it does not work well at all. It still takes a good 30 minutes to start up and it takes ages to do anything on it.
If you decide to purchase this expensive paperweight, do not expect much. And expect no help at all from the manufacturer. Amazon was even less help. If you only want a laptop that lasts a few weeks, you won't be disappointed. My last laptop was a HP laptop and it lasted seven years (and still technically works, but the screen went). I expected a new laptop to last longer than a couple of months. And even though it has been "repaired" I still can't use it. It was a complete waste of money. I have better luck getting online with my toddler's Fisher Price toy laptop than I do with this "real" laptop. TO anyone who still decided to purchase this after reading my review, I say "good luck" (while laughing,hysterically).
on 1 August 2014
Arrived in quick time, price was good for the specifications i like the 8 gb memory, works very fast, i really wanted windows 7 but am not finding 8.1 too bad at all just a case of getting used to it , there are videos on u tube telling you how to get the start screen back to windows 7 almost. happy up to yet ..
on 7 September 2014
Excellent machine, I bought it as a present for my wife to replace a school supplied laptop which she now only uses for school work. Its fast and has massive storage. We don't need the I3 or I5 processors as these are for a more involved programs. Not too sure about Windows 8.1 but slowly getting used to it.
on 16 February 2015
Bought this to use at home. It is a bit bulky and heavy to use daily as a portable. Uses windows 8.1 which was a big learning curve for me and now that I have got used to that I can appreciate this lap top's qualities. Good RAM makes it very quick and there is an abundance of storage space for photos, music, etc. It works very well using Skype for Skype to Skype chat and Skype telephone calls. The speakers are of poor quality when watching video or listening to music but the sound is good through headphones. However this is common feature of many laptops. I connected it to two high quality stand alone speakers which made a massive improvement to the sound. The HDMI facility is good. If you connect it to a modern TV you can set it up so that the lap top screen cuts off thus not distracting you if you want to watch something via your TV screen. Overall for the price you get a good lap top.
on 7 June 2014
We are very pleased so far , the start instructions where easy to follow. The speed is noticeable relative to our old laptop, which was past its sell by date.