5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God our country has people like Harry Constance.
I had the opportunity years ago to work with
Published on 14 Sept. 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting subject -- disjointed writing
Published on 23 Dec. 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God our country has people like Harry Constance., 14 Sept. 1997
I had the opportunity years ago to work with
Harry Constance and several of the men he mentioned in this book while I served in a riverine unit. They were absolute professionals in their business and instilled in me the motivation to continue what turned out to be a twenty-two year Naval career. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to work with these men, and I thank God that our country has fine people like them who were/are willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice to keep our country safe and secure from the others in the world who plot our demise.

I thought this book was excellent, especially from two standpoints. First, it shows us that the folks who comprise SEAL team are human, have feelings and are vulnerable just like the rest of us and not just trained killers who disregard all other humans who don't see things their way. Secondly, as the old adage goes, and something I can only hope younger readers of this book will take with them, is that you can achieve great things in life if you are willing to put forth the amounts of REAL effort required to achieve your goals.

To the reader from Oceanside, CA, who seemed to think that Chief Constance was in love with himself because he was a SEAL, you couldn't have missed the mark more. When you go through the type of training required to become a Navy SEAL and actually make it, you don't need to prove yourself to anyone other than your comrades in SEAL team. He already knows what his accomplishments have meant to his life and isn't asking you to accept anything other than the fact he has a story to sell just like any other author who writes a book. All of us have tales to tell. The difference is that yours and mine probably wouldn't sell.

You also said you were looking for "substance and depth" in the book. Tell ya what, go to his office and look into his eyes and tell him you need to find those things. I'm sure Chief Constance will enlighten you.

BMCM(SW) Dave Rigney, USN (Ret.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, straightforward and action packed, 29 Aug. 1997
By A Customer
I enjoyed this book. It was action packed to the hilt but also interesting from a human perspective. I also liked the absence of unnecessary bad language making the book more suitable reading for younger folks (as well as containing some "lessons in life" for them). The author was very frank and straightforward and unlike one of the other reviews I read, I didn't feel that the author was either in love with himself and glorified himself. He simply presented the facts ... period. I also liked the fact that he wasn't afraid to mention the politically incorrect G word. In summary, a good action read that also included some valuable, if understated lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, Strightforward, brought back good times & bad times, 6 Feb. 1998
By A Customer
The book is well written and puts you right in the middle of what was going on. I spent five tours in Nam and the stories shared in the book are correct. How do I know ? I was there. The book was easy reading and flowed from one story to the next. For the reader from Seattle if you do not wish to hear about the trials and tribulations of the VietNam war why did you read the book? Who cares about these Navy SEAL's? Anyone who fought side by side with them and a lot of other warriors who would have ended up as POW's if not for the actions of SEAL's, Marine Recon and Army Green Barets. From your comments it's easy to see how you feel about VETERANS Of Foreign WARS. There is only three reasons a persons such as yourself makes commits such as you have. 1. You are a wanna-be who never had the sand to do anything. 2. A SEAL took your wife or girlfriend away from you,or 3. Somewhere, someplace a SEAL adjusted your attitude.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting subject -- disjointed writing, 23 Dec. 1997
By A Customer
I thought the subject matter would make for interesting reading. It could have. The book seemed to have very little cohesion from chapter to chapter. Instead, the chapters seemed to jump from one story outline to another. It was as if Mr. Constance was reciting a war story, took a break, and told another, and so on. I would have preferred a thread running throughout the entire book, not just disjointed stories (even though most of them were interesting).

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional and forthright. What war is all about, killing!, 29 Aug. 1997
By A Customer
Good to Go is an outstanding story of a man who only wanted to be the best Navy Seal. This book tells what life was like living on the edge, often times over and beyond the abyss. Constance was dam good and equipped with Seal luck in the mangrove swamps and jungles of Vietnam and yet his personal life was less than good. His candor at detailing both side of his life is eye opening and good to hear for all of us who too often believe what we see on television. Constance is able to detail in cold reality how he killed countless numbers of the enemy without the colorful embellishments too often present in these "What did you do in the war" type stories. His straight forward way of describing his killing experiences are superb. "My knife embedded just above the kidney and his ribs...I wrenched the knife from his body and thrust it deep inside of him several more times. That was it." No overly descriptive details nor extraneous information, just the bar reality of war. Very difficult to put down once you started reading it. Great book!

Harry, if you read this I have a few questions: What happened to Gallagher and will you sign my copy of your book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good reading, 19 Sept. 1997
By A Customer
I have been fascinated with this type of reading for many years. In this book I can see the pleasure and the pain of reliving these experiences,its great reading. I believe that Dave Rigney hit the nail on the head when he stated that the reader from Oceanside was off the mark. I have met many people with this type off experience and have never had them toot their own horn, on the contrary, they have to be pryed to tell their stories. I believe that most of them keep to themselves for the fear of being looked down upon or misunderstood,this book allows him to exspress himself freely. It must have been very hard to relive those memories, sure some of it brings pleasure but most must bring painful memories. He shows that he has feelings in several chapters of this book(Thomas Fraley). I hope he writes again and that he can find Internal Peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional portrayal of one man's experience of war., 4 Dec. 1997
By A Customer
I have read many memoirs of soldiers,from WWI to Vietnam and this was one of the best. It gives a personal perspective that others lack. Most war books bog down in x's and o's that most reader's don't quite understand but this book does not do that and is very readable. Randall Fuerst is my dad's eye doctor and was introduced to this book by my dad who was a marine himself and not a big book reader but he was not able to put this book down. I too, was captivated by this book as I think others will be too. I ended up buying my own copy and was lucky enough to get both authors to autograph my copy. I think others who read this book will be thankful as I am that we have people who are willing to make the sacrifices that Harry Constance did in the name of his country. Way to go Harry and keep up the good fight and I too will never give up!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book charged me with patriotic glory for a infamous war, 16 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
I was captivated by this book. The SEAL's courgage and dedication are the makings of fairytales. I was in awe so many times throughout this book. I have read a lot about the war in Vietnam, but this book brought things into a perspective that I have never seen. Ever since I have read the book, I have been filled with a fervor that I can only attribute to the heroism of Harry Constance. From the reading, I am actively seeking books by his fellow SEALS. I cannot imagine to be more thrilled. The action, suspense, and the reality of a dedicated man of action makes this book one of my all-time favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent,easy read by a Shooter who has been there., 28 July 1997
By A Customer
This is an excellent read by a Shooter/Operator who was willing to share some of the personal side of his life. Harry tells in vivid detail how he was able to go off to war and deal with the complicated issues of his personal life. Team guys describe each other as Operators or Shooters to denote those who have been there. Harry has been able to tell it like it was without pulling any punches. Some Team guys may not like some of the details in this book, but will not be able to challenge Harry's sincerity and willingness to tell it. Thanks Harry. Manny Perez

5.0 out of 5 stars It will instill hope and courage, 4 Jan. 1998
By A Customer
I couldn't put it down! I highly recommend this book. Most of the book is focused on blow-by-blow descriptions of harrowing operations in Vietnam; proportionally less time is devoted to the infamous SEAL training experience. His postwar experience is shameful: the US Navy is a highly political organization that shuns the "helpful" input of experienced operators like Harry. But the story is brightened by his personal transformation, and ultimately, his redemption. It will instill hope and courage in anyone who reads it.