Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.24

on 23 March 2014
This is not a straightforward review for me to write, as there are quite a few problems with the book in my opinion, and yet I enjoyed it and read it in two days (not usual nowadays due to lack of time!) so it has to deserve four stars, with caveats. In fact, this has turned into more of a critique than a review, so I'd advise that if you think you'll enjoy the story from the synopsis, are in the mood for action over subtle detail and characterisation, and don't mind that there are no strong female characters, then just buy the book now, and then come back and read my critique to see if you agree :-).

My criticisms first then, and please note again that there are spoilers below:

The whole story seems to me to be a wish-fulfilment piece by an American who is fed up with washy-washy foreign policy (I'm aware that the author is not American). I can well imagine a lot of US readers thinking "Hell yeah!" As they read how the ex-military GI Joe brothers stick it to the Man, take out Islamic terrorists, overthrow regimes in the Middle East and plenty more in the same vein. Needless to say, the US-centric focus continues throughout the book, with other nations very much cast into almost incidental roles. Then again, this isn't exactly unusual in this day and age, just look at any typical Hollywood blockbuster.

Then there is the pacing, which is far too swift to take the story particularly seriously. The initial alien abduction is dealt with in a few pages. You can almost feel the author's impatience to get to the main entertainment of playing with all the alien technology.

These futuristic toys are all standard tropes, lifted from any number of other sci-fi tales, and give our protagonists near-unlimited power, which is of course the point of the story. The trouble is, the sheer number of gadgets on offer, combined with the fast pacing, means there is little possibility to explore the ramifications of each one. For example, early on they are given a medi-lab which will also augment human bodies to pretty much any level. There is a brief passage discussing the ethics of whether to use it to make themselves superhumans with extended lifespans, but then it is never discussed again.
Other tech is treated in slightly more detail, but implausibly so. For example, the nano-drones can target, monitor and kill any number of individuals on the planet and are completely untraceable, but our heroes have seemingly no reservations in revealing this capability to the American government. In reality, this would make it completely untenable to form an alliance with them. There are many more such examples, but suffice to say, you need to take plot holes with a pinch of salt in order to fully enjoy this book.

The pacing problem continues with the timescale involved in utilising the tech on offer. Within a month they have an operational moon base with thousands of inhabitants. Shortly after this Mars is colonised and within four years they have their millionth citizen on the moon, with only token lip-service given to all the myriad problems such a large population would encounter. I fully get the point - in the real world NASA and the rest of humanity have dragged their heels, and it is frustrating to us sci-fi fans - but such an accelerated timescale does erode plausibility.

Other logical ramifications of the ambitious plot are completely ignored. For example, what would happen to religion on Earth when knowledge of 10,000 other species becomes public knowledge?

If you've read my other book reviews on Amazon, you'll see I put great store on characterisation in fiction. Sadly, this is another of the problems this book suffers from. The characters aren't unlikeable by any stretch, but they are also not very interesting. You could summarise any of them in two short sentences and too many of them only seem to exist to further plot points or provide didactic words of caution to Steve (which are always basically "with great power comes great responsibility")
The female characters are even weaker, in fact that is being kind. There is actually only one woman in the entire cast that merits more than a few pages, the rest are mere footnotes.
The character with the most potential is actually the oppressed, geeky alien crab raised in a culture that despises his curiosity. However, this poor little sod is hardly a major character, which is a shame.

Now, on to the good points.
The main selling point of this book are the fun aspects of having an awesome array of future tech to do with as you will. Indeed, perhaps some of my prior criticisms are unfair. It would certainly be a very different book had the author decided to make it more of a think piece and analyse such a situation in greater detail.
Throw in an imminent alien invasion and you have a great recipe for a gripping page turner. I wouldn't have bothered writing such a long critique if I hadn't enjoyed the story.
There are also plenty of snack-sized sci-fi elements that you never get bored. For example, The Horde are a novel race of scavengers and I liked the thought of the humans trying to better them rather than just destroying them.

I do hope the author writes a sequel, but if he does, it is going to be tricky for him to deal with such an ambitious galactic fleshpot of 10,000 civilisations. Comparisons are inevitably going to be made with The Culture, whereas the style so far is less sophisticated, harking back to classic Space Opera.

One point about Kindle formatting. I absolutely hate badly formatted books, so noted the negative comments from some of the reviews on here with dread. However, I'm guessing a new version has been issued, as I didn't have any problems. There are a few typos, but only a few, and I cut self-published authors some slack for that.

I would have happily paid the asking price for this book, but noticed it was in the Amazon Prime lending library so borrowed it instead. I'll be checking out more books by the author as a result.
on 23 March 2014
Having read Ark Royal I was tempted by the author's premise of what would happen if an alien abduction force were woefully inept and lost their ship. Sadly that took but a handful of pages to establish: we get a new global despot with a Tea Party-esque view of the world.

It's no wonder the sci-fi base becomes named after Heinlen, as the novel falls into the same trap his works famously did, straying from telling us what the character thinks to lecturing the reader on why he's right. The only reason I persisted past the first third was that the lead character shows on three or four occasions slight signs of checking his world view and I hung on hoping that would be the titular 'Learning Experience'.

It wasn't, and the result is the description of a Libertarian wet dream written in perfunctory, limited and cardboardy prose. For example, I lost count of the number of times a character's emotional response was described as so-and-so 'rolled his eyes'.

The book is not without all merit, however, and if you were fine with the extensive advocacy of dubious politics of the later Heinlen books, the throwaway advocacy here won't disturb you, but the writing and black-and-white assumed worldview still might.
on 20 December 2015
I enjoyed the author's Ark Royal series, but this book was a severe disappointment.

The quality of the story telling in this novel appears to have been sacrificed on the altar of the author's political philosophy. Far be it from me to comment on that philosophy - it wouldn't have made any difference what it actually was - but the story comes across as an attempt to justify why that philosophy is right by making it the main theme of tbe book.

For some reason the aurhor felt the need to stuff all the events in the book into a ridiculously short timeframe, presumably to demonstrate that the protagonist's approach avoids all the delays and bureaucracy of mainstream, conventional politics. Unfortunately, this merely stretches credibility paper-thin, and requires a suspension of disbelief which I found imposible to sustain.

Overall, I came away with the feeling that I had been subjected to an unconvincing political harangue which had wasted more of my tine that it deserved. I won't be reading the sequels.
on 5 March 2014
Whilst there are obvious points to Christophers style of writing that some would find, annoying, simplistic or just downright childish, I as an avid reader of SF @ some Fantasy, find it very refreshing and well worth reading.

There are clear similarities to Weber, Ringo @ Campbell with a touch of Doc Smith mixed in for good measure. The upshot is a style that I can't seem to get enough of since I found him only a week ago, go Christopher.

I found Arc Royal by accident, last week @ couldn't put it down, (a sequel please). That led me to Sufficiently Advanced Technology and now to A Learning Experience, all purchased on Amazon. I could have loaned them via Prime but wanted to help what I think of as a really good author to keep writing more of the same.
Good luck and keep em coming please.
on 22 January 2016
Promoting a way to live that is a mix of a couple of philosophies including, disturbingly, some of the Scientologist idiocy does not in any way detract from making this a good read. In fact it is an example of how to write an entertaining book while still maintaining contact with a political agenda that, judging from the afterword, is the authors own outlook and would not necessarily be shared by a lot of sci-fi readers. Give it a try.
on 20 May 2014
The storyline is easy to follow and the characters are believable. There were a lot of references to popular sci-fi programme's which were humorous. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There are typos but being a writer myself I know how hard editing can be. I would love to read a sequel but perhaps 20 year jumps not 50.
on 9 February 2015
I'm sure that this book will upset a lot of readers who still trust and or revere our political leaders, however, the rest of us who have a more jaundiced view of politicians, will I think, nod sagely and keep reading if only to see how insanely stupid they can be. I have to confess, that at first, I thought that maybe Chris had gone over the top a little, but, on reconsideration, I fear he may have understated the problems. Whilst this book was necessarily slowed by the necessity of laying the foundations, it is much to be hoped that the follow-up books will pick up the pace and dump the reviled politicians where they belong, in the nearest black hole.
on 6 January 2016
If you are a republican you will love this book! Go 'merica and democracy.

I, however, am not. The main characters are, in my opinion, poor examples of humanity. I say this after finishing the 3rd book in this series and I do hope it is the last. I had no idea that Christopher Nuttall, who's Ark Royal which was decent enough was a pen name for Donald Trump.

In a rough summary, Donald Trump and his NRA militia buddies get captured by laughably stupid aliens and almost immediately break free and take over the ship. Upon wiping out the alien crew they discover almost god like advanced tech with the knowledge of how to use it and decide that they have had enough of their government and that they should start their own country in space where they can pretend to be heroes by saving us all from the 'bad' aliens.

In conclusion, I urge you to spend your time reading something else, Ark Royal if you haven't done so already, as stated it is decent enough. Yes, decent enough, if you disagree you need to read more books.
on 21 May 2014
Initially I found this to be pretty exciting, but there are too many unsavoury opinions in the book and quite honestly I became very bored very quickly. The writing style becomes quite tedious after a while
on 22 April 2014
Similar in concept to John Ringo's Allendata series.
An alien empire is kidnapping Humans in order to turn them into cyborg soldiers.

A competeing alien race attempts to do the same but thie initial kidnapping attempt targets a Veterans barbeque.
The Veterans quickly overpower the aliens taking possession of their ship. What follows is an interesting space opera as the Veterans establish a sovereign nation and have to deal with distrustful Earth nations and Marauding alien raiders.

A nice riff on the frst contact and space development subgenres.