4.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic and lowbrow, but fun!
Published 9 months ago by Gwaa Zi

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice premise turns into sub-sixth-form libertarian treatise
Having read Ark Royal I was tempted by the author's premise of what would happen if an alien abduction force were woefully inept and lost their ship. Sadly that took but a handful of pages to establish: we get a new global despot with a Tea Party-esque view of the world.

Published 9 months ago by BW

4.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic and lowbrow, but fun!, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)
This is not a straightforward review for me to write, as there are quite a few problems with the book in my opinion, and yet I enjoyed it and read it in two days (not usual nowadays due to lack of time!) so it has to deserve four stars, with caveats. In fact, this has turned into more of a critique than a review, so I'd advise that if you think you'll enjoy the story from the synopsis, are in the mood for action over subtle detail and characterisation, and don't mind that there are no strong female characters, then just buy the book now, and then come back and read my critique to see if you agree :-).

My criticisms first then, and please note again that there are spoilers below:

The whole story seems to me to be a wish-fulfilment piece by an American who is fed up with washy-washy foreign policy (I'm aware that the author is not American). I can well imagine a lot of US readers thinking "Hell yeah!" As they read how the ex-military GI Joe brothers stick it to the Man, take out Islamic terrorists, overthrow regimes in the Middle East and plenty more in the same vein. Needless to say, the US-centric focus continues throughout the book, with other nations very much cast into almost incidental roles. Then again, this isn't exactly unusual in this day and age, just look at any typical Hollywood blockbuster.

Then there is the pacing, which is far too swift to take the story particularly seriously. The initial alien abduction is dealt with in a few pages. You can almost feel the author's impatience to get to the main entertainment of playing with all the alien technology.

These futuristic toys are all standard tropes, lifted from any number of other sci-fi tales, and give our protagonists near-unlimited power, which is of course the point of the story. The trouble is, the sheer number of gadgets on offer, combined with the fast pacing, means there is little possibility to explore the ramifications of each one. For example, early on they are given a medi-lab which will also augment human bodies to pretty much any level. There is a brief passage discussing the ethics of whether to use it to make themselves superhumans with extended lifespans, but then it is never discussed again.
Other tech is treated in slightly more detail, but implausibly so. For example, the nano-drones can target, monitor and kill any number of individuals on the planet and are completely untraceable, but our heroes have seemingly no reservations in revealing this capability to the American government. In reality, this would make it completely untenable to form an alliance with them. There are many more such examples, but suffice to say, you need to take plot holes with a pinch of salt in order to fully enjoy this book.

The pacing problem continues with the timescale involved in utilising the tech on offer. Within a month they have an operational moon base with thousands of inhabitants. Shortly after this Mars is colonised and within four years they have their millionth citizen on the moon, with only token lip-service given to all the myriad problems such a large population would encounter. I fully get the point - in the real world NASA and the rest of humanity have dragged their heels, and it is frustrating to us sci-fi fans - but such an accelerated timescale does erode plausibility.

Other logical ramifications of the ambitious plot are completely ignored. For example, what would happen to religion on Earth when knowledge of 10,000 other species becomes public knowledge?

If you've read my other book reviews on Amazon, you'll see I put great store on characterisation in fiction. Sadly, this is another of the problems this book suffers from. The characters aren't unlikeable by any stretch, but they are also not very interesting. You could summarise any of them in two short sentences and too many of them only seem to exist to further plot points or provide didactic words of caution to Steve (which are always basically "with great power comes great responsibility")
The female characters are even weaker, in fact that is being kind. There is actually only one woman in the entire cast that merits more than a few pages, the rest are mere footnotes.
The character with the most potential is actually the oppressed, geeky alien crab raised in a culture that despises his curiosity. However, this poor little sod is hardly a major character, which is a shame.

Now, on to the good points.
The main selling point of this book are the fun aspects of having an awesome array of future tech to do with as you will. Indeed, perhaps some of my prior criticisms are unfair. It would certainly be a very different book had the author decided to make it more of a think piece and analyse such a situation in greater detail.
Throw in an imminent alien invasion and you have a great recipe for a gripping page turner. I wouldn't have bothered writing such a long critique if I hadn't enjoyed the story.
There are also plenty of snack-sized sci-fi elements that you never get bored. For example, The Horde are a novel race of scavengers and I liked the thought of the humans trying to better them rather than just destroying them.

I do hope the author writes a sequel, but if he does, it is going to be tricky for him to deal with such an ambitious galactic fleshpot of 10,000 civilisations. Comparisons are inevitably going to be made with The Culture, whereas the style so far is less sophisticated, harking back to classic Space Opera.

One point about Kindle formatting. I absolutely hate badly formatted books, so noted the negative comments from some of the reviews on here with dread. However, I'm guessing a new version has been issued, as I didn't have any problems. There are a few typos, but only a few, and I cut self-published authors some slack for that.

I would have happily paid the asking price for this book, but noticed it was in the Amazon Prime lending library so borrowed it instead. I'll be checking out more books by the author as a result.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice premise turns into sub-sixth-form libertarian treatise, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)

It's no wonder the sci-fi base becomes named after Heinlen, as the novel falls into the same trap his works famously did, straying from telling us what the character thinks to lecturing the reader on why he's right. The only reason I persisted past the first third was that the lead character shows on three or four occasions slight signs of checking his world view and I hung on hoping that would be the titular 'Learning Experience'.

It wasn't, and the result is the description of a Libertarian wet dream written in perfunctory, limited and cardboardy prose. For example, I lost count of the number of times a character's emotional response was described as so-and-so 'rolled his eyes'.

The book is not without all merit, however, and if you were fine with the extensive advocacy of dubious politics of the later Heinlen books, the throwaway advocacy here won't disturb you, but the writing and black-and-white assumed worldview still might.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nonsense, 24 May 2014
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)
Whoever heard of redneck sci fi? The politics are not just right wing they are juvenile and so misinformed and full of tabloid prejudice as to be risible. The basic idea of 'blokes abducted by aliens take over the UFO' would be great if it was played for laughs or even if the progress that follows was within a realistic timescale. I could go on as there is so much wrong with this 'book'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)
I'm really quite glad I found "Ark Royal", it introduced me to this author. I have been reading Sci-Fi longer than I care to think about. I am very glad to have discovered another author who I can rely upon to supply enjoyable, readable (if a little too fast) books!
This story has the seeds of a space opera in there, they need nurturing and the story expanded.
I think the name of the moonbase is quite apt; Steve Stuart has some quite "Heinlein" like views on the Federal Government. I was not convinced I liked Steve for much of the book. He comes over as overly critical, and simplistic in his world view. However, the adage about great power needing great responsibility takes hold, and though still not always liking him as a character, I could enjoy his role in the book.
Definately needs a sequel (or 5). Wind forwards 100 years or so, we have a Federation or Culture type universe to fill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed reading this one, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)
Whilst there are obvious points to Christophers style of writing that some would find, annoying, simplistic or just downright childish, I as an avid reader of SF @ some Fantasy, find it very refreshing and well worth reading.

There are clear similarities to Weber, Ringo @ Campbell with a touch of Doc Smith mixed in for good measure. The upshot is a style that I can't seem to get enough of since I found him only a week ago, go Christopher.

I found Arc Royal by accident, last week @ couldn't put it down, (a sequel please). That led me to Sufficiently Advanced Technology and now to A Learning Experience, all purchased on Amazon. I could have loaned them via Prime but wanted to help what I think of as a really good author to keep writing more of the same.
Good luck and keep em coming please.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Learning Experience, 21 May 2014
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)
Initially I found this to be pretty exciting, but there are too many unsavoury opinions in the book and quite honestly I became very bored very quickly. The writing style becomes quite tedious after a while

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 20 May 2014
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)
The storyline is easy to follow and the characters are believable. There were a lot of references to popular sci-fi programme's which were humorous. I thoroughly enjoyed it. There are typos but being a writer myself I know how hard editing can be. I would love to read a sequel but perhaps 20 year jumps not 50.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rednecks in Space, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)
Having read other CN books - I was looking forward to this one. What a disappointment. Great premise of ordinary guys getting hold of alien technology. What a shame they're American Rednecks. The base assumptions of how great it would be to have a "New America" on the moon was quite insulting. Followed the myth of "How the West was Won" theme bringing law after the gun, rather than the other way around. The assumption that "The right to carry firearms" on a spaceship was a good idea was astounding. Couldn't bear to finish the story, hope to god he doesn't have a sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very quick moving book, nice change., 17 July 2014
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)
Its a good book, though its not what I expected. Everything feels like its moving along very, very quick. From meeting aliens, taking the ship to....the next steps (don't want to spoil the surprises). Its a pleasant change, as usually things plod along in these types of books.

I don't quite feel the relationship with the President of America is realistic, or the actions that happen after, but this does not detract from the book, its a sci fi after all.

Worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting Out, 25 Oct 2014
William J. Fox "KillerBill" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Learning Experience (Kindle Edition)
Outstanding fast paced story about first contact which speculates on how survivalist types could react to suddenly finding themselves in control of an alien starship with faster than light drive, teleports and fabricators.They have to wrest control of the ship from The Horde and later protect Earth from invasion. Nuttall is currently one of my favourite sf writers and he has yet to produce a turkey.

A Learning Experience