Published 2 months ago by Paul

Published 3 days ago by Mr. P. Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great atmospheric album, and praise due for a band taking risks, 21 May 2014
Paul (EXETER, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Okay, I've read the reviews from people saying this is not what they were expecting, they wanted more in your face, catchy, jump-up and down songs. All I can say is that there are enough of those kinda albums out at the moment, and most of them are about as deep, personal and meaningful as a slap in the face. Here Coldplay have gone against the expected, and triumphed, in my opinion, with an album not afraid to take risks. After all isn't an artist allowed to make an album that they believe in, and one that feels right for them at the time? I would much prefer this than listen to an artificial album, dictated by the wants of the many. Look at all of the blockbuster movies that don't know what they want to be, usually they try and appeal to so many demographics that it ends up appealing to no one in particular. This album is atmospheric, deep, involving, without falling to cliche, or surrendering to populace demands or wants. The best music is made without an audience in mind, for that music will find its audience, and that is the best way for all music to be. Coldplay have moved on, and they have evolved, but if you haven't too, then I guess its time to stop listening.

I love all the tracks on the album, but standout tracks for me are, 'Magic,' with its catchy, and affecting beat, along with the poignant, heartfelt lyrics. 'Midnight,' with its haunting (great video by the way) and sleepy chorus, synthesised voice and mellow but soulful tone. 'A sky full of stars,' which is slightly more upbeat and reminiscent of Coldplay's early days. And 'O,' with the most gentle, subtle piano, over which Martin displays the deftest of melancholic poise as he sings from the heart. This song has already become a favourite of all Coldplay songs to me.

And so to summarise, for those wishing the band to stand still, perhaps Coldplay have left a few of you behind, but for those who are willing to take the journey and trust in the band, and willing to let the album haunt you more than once, before making a decision on its overall worth - pull up an ear and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice album but a little heavy on heartbreak, 16 Jun 2014
Charles Stobert "frogMagic" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Love hurts. OOOoooooohhh, OOoohhhhhhh love hurts. I was in love and it broke my heart. I wish I was still in Gwyneth's "fire down below". OK Chris we get it. You broke up. It hurts. Your ex is beautiful. etc...

I like this album musically - some great production and melodies - but after a few listens through now the lyrics are starting to jar a little. I know that this was an album of catharsis but about 5 of the 9 songs are laments about missing her, wishing he was with her, feeling her, seeing her and so on.

Worth a listen if you're a Coldplay fan (which I used to be but have slightly gone off them since their early stuff)

3.0 out of 5 stars A few nice tracks but Coldplay need to rediscover their "Magic", feels like an EP!, 28 July 2014
Mr. P. Murphy "MusicLover08" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
I'll start by saying I am a big fan. Since "Parachutes" at least to some degree every album has had a sence of magic. In my view this is the first album of theirs to miss this. Ironically one of the only songs to come close is the song "Magic", another is "Sky Full Of Stars" which although very familiar territory is at least positive and sounds like "Coldplay"

The problem is this album doesn't come from a happy place but rather that melancholy heart that in the hands of certain writers bears beautiful fruit. The problem is Coldplay don't do sad, their sound is happy and positive if a little ambiguous. Perhaps chis martins marital status had some thing to do with it I don't know but they don't wear mournful too well

Without the two mentioned songs and maybe one or two others this would be nothing more than a passable EP especially as there are only 9 tracks, though if they were all great i would have forgave that. Hoping they rediscover their mojo for the next album!

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting and beautiful album of music, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
I love Coldplay, I think they are an innovative and brilliant band - and I am old enough to remember the first Beatles record being released!

I don't necessarily like every track they have ever recorded so I would be more than happy to say if I thought this album didn't live up to expectations, but it does. It is brilliant. It is different, you are waiting for some of the tracks to break out into some sort of usual Coldplay anthem the nearest they come to that is Sky Full of Stars but the other tracks are haunting and melancholic in a beautiful way. It is obvious what the theme of the album is and the sadness is there for anyone with half a heart to hear but it doesn't make it miserable or bitter. For me, this album celebrates love, without regrets and is beautiful.

I believe this album is a natural progression from Waterfall. If you aren't keen, keep playing it and I am sure it will soon grown on you. Wonderful and haunting, beautiful and melancholic. Highly recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars There are a few good tracks but generally its a little boring and lacking ..., 19 July 2014
Professor Ian Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Not for me, they seem to have lost their way! There are a few good tracks but generally its a little boring and lacking in excitement.

1.0 out of 5 stars MOR Wimp-Pop, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Is Chris Martin taking the P or is this what passes as radio friendly pop music nowadays?
This collection of miserable dirges and strangled tuneless choirboy vocals is designed only to attract people who do their record shopping in supermarkets.
This is truly awful - Avoid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really wanted to love this like I do their other albums but it's ..., 28 July 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Really wanted to love this like I do their other albums but it's just not as good for all the reasons that other reviewers have stated. Perhaps it'll be a grower but so far it's mainly succeeded in inspiring me to listen to all their old albums again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wake me when it's over !!!, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Bilge, tripe & wrist-slashingly boring.
A collection of directionless tuneless awful instantly forgetable songs.
Probably blindly bought by 'millions' through being told (sheep-like) that 'they must like this band'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of their best!, 1 Jun 2014
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
I bought this album thinking that the Coldplay pedigree would be sufficient to ensure it would be a good listen. Whilst opinions about music will always be subjective, I found this album atmospheric but a bit of a dirge.

The tracks have quite a mysterious feel but are not very melodic or memorable and they all seem to fade into each other. There is no particularly distinctive track on this disc. I cannot help but wonder if this album had been made by a lesser known band whether it would be so commercially successful. Coldplay have produced much better than this - Ghost Stories isn't a total loss but not one of their best albums either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very sad, all about his wife and really should have ..., 25 July 2014
S. Daniels "Codders" (Hull) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Audio CD)
Its OK....but it really wouldn't sound any different if CM just broke down in every track and screamed Gwynneth. Very sad, all about his wife and really should have stayed in the studio.

Ghost Stories