5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful, well written book.
I really like this book. May writes in a helpful, friendly style and I found lots of the hints very useful and well explained. There are some nice projects, I have only given 4 stars as some if the patterns are not included. Im glad I brougt this book, it will definitely be used.
Published 2 months ago by Nicole

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Description
A little disappointed with this book! The tips and tricks section is very good, clear and well explained, but unfortunately only occupies a third of the book. I was gutted to discover that ALL of the fashion projects require you to go out and buy the patterns separately!!! This certainly is not what is suggested by the blurb

"It contains over 40 beautiful...
Published 1 month ago by Miss C A Capstick

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Description, 15 Oct 2014

"It contains over 40 beautiful projects, including crafts, accessories, womenswear, kidswear, menswear and home furnishings. With a range of difficulties for each category - from super-easy but stylish ideas to get even the most nervous sewers started to more elaborate ideas for the aspiring sewer looking for a challenge."

This also couldn't be seen from the 'Look Inside' views. All in all a third of the book is useless without buying a pattern, and the step-by-step instructions are no more comprehensive than those you'd get with a McCalls or Butterick pattern anyway!

If I'd payed the full RRP of £25 this would certainly be winging it's way back to Amazon. But, for £9 I'll keep it for the useful sections.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love sewing books and I like this one but there ..., 30 Aug 2014
Mrs. S. Lord - See all my reviews
Title a bit misleading suggesting a wealth of information regarding professional hints and tips on sewing. I love sewing books and I like this one but there is nothing in it that is not in hundreds of other sewing books. Having said that it is nicely set out but would have liked it in a ring-binder format. Advertised as sewing bible but 40 years of tips and hints should have taken up more of the book than just a few pages. Thought it would show professional layouts and provide professional tips etc but not so. Overall a good book but if you are an intermediate sewer or higher then there is nothing in this book that you will not already know.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 30 Aug 2014
disappointing - Like the previous reviewer I would have expected much more tips from 40 years experience - the few that are included are good but the content doesnt live up to the hype - suitable for newbies who have mastered the basics of their sewing machine

2.0 out of 5 stars Was expecting the best but..., 18 Sep 2014
I have been waiting for this book to come out for months. I was so excited to get it through the post. I am so disappointed. Whilst the tips etc are good and clearly May knows her stuff, there are NO PATTERNS! You have to buy them from McCalls etc separately. So you are basically buying an extra instruction sheet for the manufactured patterns that already contain instructions and cost approx £8 per pattern depending on which ones you decide to make.the patterns like men's waistcoats aren't even nice or fashionable. There are many more books out at the moment that are far more inspirational, have patterns included and are better value for money.I am so sorry to write this review as I was willing the book to be good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Nov 2014
This is a good book if you're an existing sewer, but I'd agree with other reviewers that it's not a 'Sewing Bible'. The Readers Digest Guide to Sewing is a much better buy if that's what you are looking for. There are some interesting projects but disappointingly this book contains a number of typos and errors. In particular, if you want to make the 'Pyramid Box' be warned that the template (actually provided in the book, for once) needs to be enlarged, but this is not stated. I have just spent an hour or so tracing and cutting this out only to realise that the pincushion and other items for which measurements are given couldn't possibly fit in a box this small - so I have wasted time and fabric. I will be very wary of doing any other projects from this book after this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful, well written book., 31 Aug 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 10 Sep 2014
Tries to cover too many areas. More detail on basic would be really helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy!, 15 Sep 2014
Bought this book for my daughter who is an avid dressmaker. May Martin's book is full of hints and tips to make creating with fabrics more professional in their finish and easier to make.. I have been dressmaking for over 50 years and have picked up some good tips from the book. This is a good book for beginners and proficient sewers alike, as you can always learn something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 18 Sep 2014
AnnieD (Bracknell, Berks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a well-written, clear guide to sewing,for novices & those with experience alike. I am finding it useful for updating my knowledge of new (well in the last 40 years since I did needlework at school!) technology, such as overlockers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth waiting for, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: May Martin's Sewing Bible: 40 years of tips and tricks (Kindle Edition)
Great book - well worth waiting for. Lots of useful tips and hints from a very experienced seamstress. A great buy for anyone interested in dressmaking or sewing generally.