on 6 November 2005
Great read and Les was brave enough to come clean on police corruption.The book is a view of life as a police officer through his eyes. It is a shame that as a detective having to keep an ear to the ground for what is happening with the bad guys must have had a serious hearing problem (if as he claims)McGraw did not help the police.However Les has done us all a favour as the book is a great read but I know he has more to tell.I would buy his next one too,well done.
on 3 February 2015
This was a strange book and I'm not really sure whether I enjoyed it! Some of the tales of the cases the author investigated were interesting, but throughout Mr Brown tried to project an image of a cavalier officer who did it "his way" and ignored the rules. He came across as arrogant and I suspect was not particularly popular with his colleagues. I have read crime stories penned by police officers before and would rank this pretty low in terms of my enjoyment of this type of writing.
on 8 March 2015
Yes, another police biography but this time one from an officer who rose through the ranks and specialised in Criminal Investigation. Thoroughly fascinating, and interesting to note that Les Brown was frustrated by the political correctness of those who tried to claim that the gangs were no longer a problem. Unfortunately, the tactics employed by Sir Percy Sillitoe in both Sheffield and Glasgow wouldn't be acceptable today - and the men of violence know it.
on 27 November 2005
Gives a rare insight into the Glasgow crime scene, as witnessed by a trustworthy police officer, who earned his promotions by old fashioned police work. A serious book coupled with humour. A great read.
on 26 October 2010
I read this book some time ago and I enjoyed it.Les Brown told his story with honesty and humour and gave the reader a window into the life of a police officers work in a big city like Glasgow.I would recommend this book and hope Les Brown writes another book soon.
on 16 December 2005
A long overdue inside view of how REAL, HONEST old fashioned police work catches the criminal - let's get back to these basic principles for the benefit of the whole of society. Highly recommended read.
on 22 September 2014
Fantastic book if you are from Glasgow. Knew a few Glasgow cops and 2 were mentioned in the book which makes it all the more realistic. cant wait to read his next book a fascinating read into the minds of the Glasgow polis also what lengths they would go to to get a conviction whether it was the right man or not.
on 12 July 2015
Having been born in Glasgow I found it interesting with regard to street names etc. Les Brown tells it as it is with a fair amount of honesty.
on 2 August 2015
Great read and I probably enjoyed it so much because it is so recent and I either knew or knew of, many of the characters in it.
on 19 February 2014
Really enjoyed it and thoroughly recommend it. A very descriptive and seriously enjoyable book. Best I have read in a long time