5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling!
Published 6 months ago by a keen reader

2.0 out of 5 stars A fluff piece
I enjoy Arthurian retellings and was looking forward to starting this book, it is however a very disappointing read. I probably should have guessed from the cover art that it was going to be on the trashy side, but after reading the good reviews here and on Goodreads I decided to give it a try. I seem to have read a very different book from everyone else...
Published 4 days ago by McDoodleish

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling!, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: THE WARRIOR QUEEN (The Guinevere Trilogy Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book - Guinevere is a totally compelling heroine and the setting in Arthurian England is incredibly immersive. This is the most fascinating and realistic take on the Arthur legends that I've ever encountered - even if there is a bit of magic involved! What I liked best about this book was the depth of Guinevere's character. She shows how it's possible to have complex feelings of love for more than one person, and I loved her wilfulness. Definitely a good book for escaping boredom. I can't wait for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh and vivid look at Guinevere, 8 Mar 2014
Lavinia Collins has created a Guinevere unlike any I can recall encountering before: vivid, psychologically compelling, and as forceful a personality in her own right as any of the men with whom she interacts. This is no Lerner and Loewe ingenue, existing as much as a prize over whom two men struggle -- Collins' Guinevere is a force unto herself, and contradictory (and aware of her contradictions) in a way that renders her very human in a role that has often been made mystical or passive.
I particularly appreciated Ms Collins' treatment of what we would call PTSD -- all too often, particularly in historical fiction, the psychological wounds of war are passed over, and Guinevere's observations of what the constant war has done to Arthur and Kay are compelling even as they make the foster-brothers feel that much more authentic.
Above all, The Warrior Queen is gloriously woman-centric in a way that so few works of Arthuriana are. The subject matter, and some of the spiritual and mystical themes that flow through the book, are reminiscent of Marion Zimmer Bradley, though Collins' authorial voice creates a very different, more earthy and direct and present, feel than Bradley's writing does.
I eagerly look forward to Ms Collins' future work, and anticipate enjoying it every bit as much as I did The Warrior Queen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun and sexy book for women who think, 8 Mar 2014
Based on the cover and some of the amazon descriptions, I thought this would be a fun beach book but nothing with any real depth. I was pleasantly surprised, though, to find that the book was both eminently readable and historically rich. To my surprise, I enjoyed the descriptions of political intrigue as much as the provocative and in some cases downright risqué descriptions of the encounters between Arthur and Guinevere. I found Guinevere to be a surprisingly witty and compelling narrator. I was also surprised by the way Collins blended storytelling with historical realism--I read the Tennyson poem about Guinevere when I was in College and we did some background reading as well and all of the details in this book match what I studied. In a lot of ways, it reminded me of Philippa Gregory's sexually charged take on English history without some of the fluff that sometimes makes her work drag. All in all, I was surprised that this book was both a good read and an interesting one. I'll be interested to see what Lavinia Collins does in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, 4 Mar 2014
Never has there been, since the Mists of Avalon over 30 years ago, such an accurate and engaged work around the women of King Arthur's court. Guinevere is given a very modern personality which all feminists will appreciate, all the while remaining consistent with the medieval Arthurian tales... a very difficult balance which has been achieved with perfection! I would recommend this book not only to medieval connoisseurs, but to anyone appreciative of a well written romance intrigue. The next Lavinia Collins book cannot come out soon enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 2 Mar 2014
Very enjoyable indeed, I loved how the writing transports you to another world and inside Guinevere’s thoughts. I hadn’t read anything in this genre before, but I loved this mix of romance and legend. 5 stars. It says the sequel will be released in Spring. Wish it was sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting, gripping story that I can't wait to read more, 23 July 2014
When I was first asked to review The Warrior Queen by Lavinia, I was a little put off by the cover, but as soon as I saw the words King Arthur and Lancelot in the synopsis, the cover no longer mattered and I knew I had to read this book.

I love historical novels, I really really do, especially medieval ones and The Warrior Queen has sparked my love of them all over again. The knights of the round table, going into battle, the legends, Arthur, Lancelot. And not only that, it also had the medieval magic of Merlin and ah just loved it!

Guinevere is a strong female character that I instantly liked and The Warrior Queen tells her story of how King Arthur, after winning the battle against her Father demands that she be his bride. You really feel for her as a character and hope that she will be alright. But as I mentioned, she isn't one to cower in the background and do as she is told despite women in that era being subservient to men. And also Arthur doesn't quite turn out to be the man I thought he would be and it pleasantly surprised me.

I managed to get so completely lost in this story. I really felt like I was in Guinevere's shoes and when Lancelot came in on the scene I really was immersed in her world.

At first I was annoyed with the ending, but then I saw on Goodreads that it is a series! I definitely defintiely want to read more about Guinevere and Arthur and Lancelot.

An immersive, pleasantly surprising and enchanting medieval tale that has had me begging for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 Mar 2014
If there was the option of giving this book six stars I wouldn’t hesitate to do so. It’s beautifully written, with a satisfyingly gritty protagonist and a sprinkling of magic for good measure. Definitely a crowd-pleaser!

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone with even a passing interest in romance, fantasy, or legend, and will be the first to buy the next instalment when it’s released!

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely blown away!, 7 April 2014
I started this thinking it would be a nice light holiday read but before I knew it I was completely swept up in the story. I was engaged on so many levels - not just the passion and drama of the story but also the depth of the characters and the confident prose. Collins has created a world well-rooted in traditional Arthurian literature, but she is not afraid to look at it with fresh eyes, reinterpreting old stories. In Guinevere I found a refreshingly positive female role model - relatable, strong, and independent, without feeling that the author had created her thus in order to make an overtly feminist point.
Very excited to see where Collins goes next - I have no doubt it will be as exciting, intelligent, and enjoyable as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completly engrossing, 4 Mar 2014
I picked this book up on a cold wet day and it certainly warmed me up! It is a compelling, engrossing, not to mention steamy, version of the Arthurian legend. It draws the reader through a world of ladies fair and their knights, of witches, magic, love and duty in such a way that it is not surprising it is difficult to put down.

Guinevere is believable and relatable and Collins allows you to see her journey from princess bride to Warrior Queen as a journey of herself as much as circumstance. She captures the essence of being a woman in a way that makes it hard for any reader, male or female, not to relate to her.

Collins style is real, gritty and sensual and I cannot wait for the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping wonderful book, 2 April 2014
I loved this so much - I didn't want it to end. The world of Guinevere is captured brilliantly and Ms Collins knows just how to keep the tale moving along. Thank goodness the second volume is out so quickly, and there's a third to come. More please.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›