4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value
Superb picture quality.
I have cameras that cost 10 times the price which dont match the picture quality.
Instruction Manual almost incomprehensible but menu is straightforward.
Microphone sensitivity is low but not needed.
Would recommend it.
Published 4 months ago by G. Jenkinson

1.0 out of 5 stars Great for a while, then useless.
I bought this in April 2014 and if I'd written a review in the first 3 months of ownership, I'd've said the camera was fantastic value for money, 5 stars. It has great HD clarity with sound, a clever system of looping round the available recording memory and it automatically turns itself on and off so you don't have to remember to do it yourself. All good...
Published 1 month ago by S. Goodwin

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 6 April 2014
G. Jenkinson - See all my reviews
Superb picture quality.
Instruction Manual almost incomprehensible but menu is straightforward.
Microphone sensitivity is low but not needed.
Would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If in market for excellent value car cam with a good picture, don't hesitate!, 27 Mar 2014
I received the product much earlier than the latest date for delivery. Upon unpacking, I found it to be well made and as described. It was easy to set up and install in the car, the rubber suction cup works well (better than many expensive sat-nav fixing kits) The images are crisp and clear with a really good field of view. I put in a class 10 micro SD which worked immediately and offers a loop in excess of 3 hours before over recording. Night time vision is decent and number plates are still picked out well when in the headlight range. The menu system is a bit fiddly but after 5 minutes of pressing a few buttons, becomes quite easy to navigate. The manual isn't up to much but you don't really need it because it is pretty much plug and play. Excellent value for money and I am thinking of purchasing one for my wife and a further 2 or 3 for my Children and my second car. If you are in the market for a decent camera at a very good price. you needn't hesitate. I didn't want a whole range of features which can sometimes be counter productive but this does what it promises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, 8 April 2014
T A Moody (solihull, west midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Very pleased with picture quality and for the price can not be beaten. Only gripe is that although it says you can leave it to turn itself on and off with the ignition it also warns against having it connected when starting the engine as there could be a power boost that damages the unit. I certainly dont want to have to keep unplugging it every I start the car so I am ignoring the advice and take my chances

1.0 out of 5 stars Great for a while, then useless., 8 July 2014
This review is from: E-PRANCE New G1W Novatek 2.7" Car Dashcamera Driving Recorder + 1920*1080P 30FPS + G-sensor + Car License Plate + MOV + 140 Degree Wide Angle Lens + Night Vision + H.264 Color Black (Electronics)

I'd be very happy with it now if it still worked. Since yesterday when I turn it on it gets as far as the intro blue screen, but no further. No end of reboots, removing/inserting the SD card and pressing any amount of reset buttons has convinced it to start showing the view and recording again.

It's outside Amazon's 30 days returns window, and it's proven very awkward to contact the seller who are in China. As you try to follow Amazon's Returns links you just end up in a circular sequence which comes back to the "tough luck, it's later than 30 days" screen, and a seller contact link is not provided.

When I bought the camera for 35 I thought this might be too good to be true. And it was.

There's a reason the camera is so cheap - it doesn't last.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I bought 3, 16 July 2014
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I recently bought one of these and was so impressed with it, I bought two more for my children to put in their cars. There seem to be lots of different listings on Amazon for the same camera, and many have pulldowns where you can select colour, with or without sd card etc. You need to be a bit careful, because the options you choose will influence where it comes from, IE: Amazon or a seller. If you end up with an obscure seller, you could end up with a fake. I bought all mine from a seller, E-PRANCE, but they are fulfilled by Amazon. So if there is a problem, I can post it back to Amazon rather than somewhere in China. But buying the second pair I still seemed to end up on a different listing to the original I bought, only a few days ago. But the cameras (and their boxes) that turned up are indeed identical to the first one. So here is the review I posted on the first one. I still stand by all of this:

-----------------------------------------------------------

I've been toying with the idea of a dash camera for a while now due to the ever increasing numbers of drivers who are either simply bad or selfish or idiotic drivers, or who are criminals who will think nothing of staging an accident with you for an insurance scam. I decided I didn't want or need one that included GPS recording so you can see your route plotted on a map and how fast you were going, so I have been looking at the lower end of the market.

The trouble with these G1W cameras is you are never sure if you are getting a genuine cheap one, or a really cheap fake one, of which there are plenty about apparently. I don't know how to tell other than by taking it to bits to look at the chips inside. There is nothing on the box or in the booklet saying anything about this aspect of the tech spec - IE: is it the 96650 chip? I believe that another indicator of some fakes is that they produce AVI files rather than MOV files. The one I have does produce MOV files, so at least that's good... it came in a black and red box with the E-PRANCE logo on it, and a silver "MX9" sticker, whatever that means.

I ordered from the seller E-PRANCE, fulfilled by Amazon. This was so that if I decide to return it for any reason, I post to Amazon and not somewhere in China. It also, hopefully, reduces my chances of getting a fake. Anyway, what's it like?

Out of the box, I was rather dismayed to see that in addition to the bright silver ring around the lens, which is a bit of a high-vis giveaway in the screen of your car, the one I have also has a rather naff looking E-PRANCE silver logo splattered across the front too. This is not shown in any online pics I've seen. Some black tape will be going over that. The suction cup is very good, and the mount is not like some of the clunkier looking ones I have seen in reviews, it is a single ball gimbal mount which you tighten with a single knurled ring, allowing very easy and accurate adjustment of the camera angle when it is attached to the screen.

The menus are pretty simple and self-explanatory once you have figured out that REC is "select" - most of the time - and you can choose resolution, exposure, screen timeout, switch-off delay, menu button beep etc.etc. There is a date/time you can set, and this then appears on recorded footage. You can turn this off if you want to, but why would you? You can also opt to have audio on or off, useful if you regularly swear at people, or just talk to yourself when you're on your own :-)

Picture quality is really very good for a 30 quid camera, another reason I don't think mine is fake! The video is smooth and crisp when played back on a PC. You can play files on the device itself, but the screen is obviously too small to read anything. Pausing the playback on a pc gives a very crisp clear picture, you can easily read road signs, street names, number plates on cars in front or indeed travelling in the other direction, unless they are really shifting when it does blur a bit. Sound quality is basic but acceptable. I am very impressed, it is in a completely different league to the camera I tried out a few weeks ago, the 10 pound Super Legend HD Video Car Dash Vehicle Recorder which really is a toy, and barely that. I will certainly be keeping this one, and am considering buying more for our other vehicles now, and also our two children for their cars. At this price, buying several is no great hardship. Kitting out your whole family with ones costing one or two hundred pounds, and it's very easy to spend that much, would definitely hurt!

To record on I bought a class 6 card, Samsung 32GB Class 6 24MB/s Micro SDHC Standard Memory Card without Adapter which works just fine. Apparently this camera has trouble coping with class 10 cards for some reason. On the highest resolution, which it calls full HD, 1920x1080, I *think* the screen is telling me that it has room on this card for over 5 hours of recording. More than enough for you to be able to save any required footage when you get home unless you are driving across the Sahara in one go. You can choose how long each video file should be, I've left it set to 3 minutes. Obviously the higher you set this, the fewer files you will have, but the bigger they will be if you later want to copy them or send them somewhere. There is a one or two second overlap from the end of one file to the start of the next, so you don't lose anything as it switches files, very good.

I often see comments in reviews of cameras like this saying "battery life is rubbish, only lasts a few minutes". Well, that is because they are not intended to be charged up and then run off battery for hours like a phone is, they are meant to be plugged in all the time. The small battery is only there to allow it to run for a few minutes so that it can close off the recording and switch off in a controlled manner when you turn the ignition off or unplug it, or to carry on filming if it loses power in the event of an accident (you can set the power off delay to your liking). You can also take still pictures on it, so in the event of an accident the battery would also allow you to take it out of the car and take some pictures for further evidence. It also obviously maintains the clock, for how long I don't know.

So, no bells and whistles, no GPS sensor for example so you have no record of your route or how fast you were going, but you do get really smooth crisp useable time-stamped video which should prove very useful if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of being in an accident - or even just witnessing one in front of you. It does have a G-sensor, so it can tell if the car has hit something - it then puts a lock on the current file so that it will not be overwritten later.

An excellent cheap useable camera. Depending on where you order your memory card from, the whole package should cost you 40-45 pounds. That is quite amazing. Just hope it lasts now.

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 4 April 2014
for what it cost its a bargin the video is clear enough and works with a samsung micro sd card

5.0 out of 5 stars The best at this price point, 1 April 2014
I've been an avid user of dashcams and helmet cams for a while, there are just too many nutters on the roads! This camera is getting cheaper and cheaper yet gets very good reviews.

The quality is very good during the day but at night it isn't so good. Number plates are clearly visible during the day, on previous dashcams they were a bit blurred. The night-light is a small LED for night mode seems to be fairly pointless and night footage has a little wavy action, but that is common in cheap digital cameras.

The instructions are short and to the point and written in hilarious Chinglish.

I used a Samsung 32GB Class 6 24MB/s Micro SDHC Standard Memory Card without Adapter card without problems. The videos are on a loop so you don't need to worry about deleting files off the card. The G-sensor can be set to low, medium or high sensitivity. When it detects high G, it will write-protect the file so it cannot be overwritten.

Note there is NO GPS on this unit.

The only slight negative is that it isn't all black, so you can quite easily see the silver lens bezel through the windscreen.

Overall, a great dashcam at a very good price.

3.0 out of 5 stars E-Prance Dash Cam, 13 May 2014
Bald Kiwi (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
Likes:
After looking at specs and reviews of the many car cams in Amazon's listings, this seemed to offer the best balance of price vs features. High def'n video gives a clear picture, even on the tiny screen on the back of the camera, and a usable picture is displayed even at night. Also good is the windscreen mount, a silicone suction cup that sticks firmly - especially if slightly dampened before fixing.

Dislikes:
Socket for memory card is very fiddly with it being easy to install the card backwards, or not at all. As others have commented, the manual is a waste of time for anything other than as an example of how NOT to use English. Additionally, I have not mastered how to set the clock which still appears to be on Chinese time.

Cautions:
On my vehicle, the power does not switch off with the ignition, so I have to disconnect each time I stop, and reconnect when I start. However, I suspect this will affect most similar units.

1.0 out of 5 stars casting doubt on other reviews, 20 May 2014
K. Chapman - See all my reviews
I had heard that because of the popularity of this camera that unscrupulous people were now selling counterfeit or sub standard ones.
I had not expected such an affair to be going on at Amazon,but I cannot expect Amazon to be able to check on every item they provide market space for.
I bought this camera,it arrived in good time it worked for one day.
Amazon have an excellent returns policy so I would like to buy more with them. Sadly the dash cam I want is also sold through this company .
Getting a refund is all well and good but I would have liked some kind of reassurance that this was a one off, a bad batch maybe, but nothing from the company. Making me feel that this is what they do,sell inferior products knowing that some will not bother asking for a refund. I also wonder about the rave reviews this product has had when bought via this company !
It can be said that maybe these reviews are written but employees. We will never know.
Only my time has been wasted,had Amazon been like Ebay I would still waiting for my refund and it would have been minus the postage when/if it arrived .
Boring I know,but it is true...buy cheap pay twice. This camera is cheaper here because it is sub standard, I wonder why they don't say that !? eh? Decide for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Budget dash cam cheap price with great quality, 9 Aug 2014
I have been looking for a dash cam since a friend of mine nearly got accused of damaging another car, fortunately he had a dash cam and the accuser drove away with his tail between his legs. I started looking through the myriad of cameras on amazon but got bogged down with all the options and types on offer, all of them had good and bad reviews. So I went on google and searched "best budget dash cam" and it pointed me towards this unit. Again there were good and bad reviews and several to choose from but I took the plunge anyway.
The camera arrived very quickly and was well packaged. As stated in other reviews the instructions are very poor and difficult to understand in chinese/ english hybrid wording but with a little technical know how and common sense, anyone should be able to work out the functions. I installed it in my car very quickly and with no fuss at all. The advantage of a screen is highlighted here - no trial and error about where the camera is pointing. I have set mine up for 5 min loops and 30 secs power save. I have been recording for a couple of days now and thought that I would see what th evideo quality is like. I used a sd to usb adapter on a windows 8 pc. The playback was flawless. The quality was exceptional but I have since turned the audio off as all I could hear was my stereo playback. Number plates are clearly visible and there is virtually no camera shake thanks to the sturdy camera mount.
I am extremely impressed with this camera. You just place it in the car, align it up with what you want to record, press the record button then forget about it. Every time you turn on the ignition (and power the aux charging socket) the camera goes straight into record mode. Install and forget.
As recommended in other reviews, I formatted the card (32GB micro SD class U1) in the camera. No recording or playback problems.

Hope this helps others looking for a budget dash camera.